• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Philips 10.5-Watt (60-Watt) A19 Bright White (3000K) Household LED Light Bulb (4-Pack)
Light Output (lumens)  800 
That's $5.83 per bulb
Link 

Use $5 off $50 coupon code of HDHOLIDAY for even more savings! (Thanks Killjoy1991)

Home Depot
See Home Depot discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

philips
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
CFL warm up times is for the birds and has been a major reason I've stuck with incandescents more often then not. LED's ... (more)

Kastigador (Nov. 28, 2013 @ 1:49a) |

60W is too dim. I'm looking for one 100W bulb for $5 and I can wait.

po90260 (Nov. 28, 2013 @ 1:13p) |

Appears to be OOS online.

mp3truck (Nov. 28, 2013 @ 2:15p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I want to buy these.. But I can't justify it when a 4 pack of incandescent lights are $1 at BigLots.

Bizatch said:   I want to buy these.. But I can't justify it when a 4 pack of incandescent lights are $1 at BigLots.
  Do the math. You will more than make back your money in power savings, and these will last 10-20 times longer than a regular light bulb.

gelatinouscube said:   Bizatch said:   I want to buy these.. But I can't justify it when a 4 pack of incandescent lights are $1 at BigLots.
  Do the math. You will more than make back your money in power savings, and these will last 10-20 times longer than a regular light bulb.

It will take some time to get your $$ back. At 3 hours/day will make about 1000 hours a year. With this bulb consuming 50W less then incandescent you will be saving about 50 kWh a year. At 10c kWh that is $5...

mxf said:   
gelatinouscube said:   
Bizatch said:   I want to buy these.. But I can't justify it when a 4 pack of incandescent lights are $1 at BigLots.

It will take some time to get your $$ back. At 3 hours/day will make about 1000 hours a year. With this bulb consuming 50W less then incandescent you will be saving about 50 kWh a year. At 10c kWh that is $5...

On the other hand these will last an average of 5 years, whereas the incadencents will probably last 6 months or lress.

mxf said:   
gelatinouscube said:   

So you will make your money back if you use it for a little more than 3 hours a day for a year. It sounds like you are arguing against buying them, but your math tells me it pays for itself in about a year, which in my book is pretty good for a lightbulb that lasts 18+ years according to the info on the webpage. I have never had an incandescent last a year if I am using it regularly.

not arguing just stating a fact one year is actually pretty good ROI some people are expecting miracles in term of electricity bill with these and with 10 bulbs replaced you will hardly see change on the monthly bill. I am actually replacing to LEDs lights in my house as they burn out but I still have at least 5-6 original incandescent bulbs from the time house was built in 99.

Penny wise. 

Not dimmable

Good price, I'll get a set to try. Phillips usually makes really good bulbs.

The reviews on these were good - no complaints of delay.

I picked up 2 packs to get the free ship. I can always return to store if they don't perform, but I expect Philips to perform. I can replace a few more lights in the house.

Good deal. It's just not dimmable.
Off topic, where is the good deal on some LED night light, please?

ntddvltt said:   Good deal. It's just not dimmable.
Off topic, where is the good deal on some LED night light, please?

WalMart sells the LED night light bulbs. Can't remember the price but have not had 1 go bad yet. I use the clear/white light but they have blue and red I think. Also check eBay.

Dimmable: EcoSmart 40W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 LED Light Bulb (4-Pack)$24.88 / each 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204627114?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=204627114&R=204627114#.UpUAzuKQPaI 

I 'invested' in some CFL flood lights to 'save money' since they would last 'years longer' than regular incandescent bulbs.

Every one of them failed within 6 months.

Before I start 'investing' in expensive bulbs again, they had better come with a full replacement warranty, not just a projected lifespan with nothing to back it.

they are good if the bulb is in a hard to reach to change place.

Just change it and forget it

Looking for dimmable and 60w, but good deal if you need lower power.

Tjunky said:   I 'invested' in some CFL flood lights to 'save money' since they would last 'years longer' than regular incandescent bulbs.

Indoor or outdoor use?

And how do Phillips LED compare to Cree? Anyone have both?

russ0519 said:   
mxf said:   
gelatinouscube said:   

On the other hand these will last an average of 5 years, whereas the incadencents will probably last 6 months or lress.

I haven't seen an incandescent bulb that only lasts 6 months.

granthell said:   
russ0519 said:   
mxf said:   
gelatinouscube said:   

Me either. I have some that get semi-regular use that are over 15 years old.

Slickone said:   
granthell said:   
russ0519 said:   
mxf said:   
gelatinouscube said:   

Me either. I have some that get semi-regular use that are over 15 years old.

I have some 60-watt incandescent bulbs that get used almost every day that are 32 years old. I got them free from the power company back in the day when they swapped burned-out bulbs for new ones.

This is a really good price for 800 lumen, as long as they last.
fr said:   Dimmable: EcoSmart 40W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) A19 LED Light Bulb (4-Pack)$24.88 / each 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/204627114?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=204627114&R=204627114#.UpUAzuKQPaI   

5000K is too blue.

Tarajunky said:   I 'invested' in some CFL flood lights to 'save money' since they would last 'years longer' than regular incandescent bulbs.

Before I start 'investing' in expensive bulbs again, they had better come with a full replacement warranty, not just a projected lifespan with nothing to back it.

Did you put them in a motion light? If so then that's why they may have failed early. CFLs are rated by hours but should also have a on/off rating. CFLs work best in places that get turned on and left on. For motion lights, closets, etc... they do not work well.
Also CFLs are sensitive to low voltage. If your voltage is low or not stable then that also will cause them to burn out quickly.

I rewired my house and used CFL in 90% of the sockets and have only had a few burn out early.

Hello, do they come all 4 in 1 package, or 4 separate boxes?

FINALLY a reasonable price on a namebrand 60W-equivalent LED bulb. I'm in.

Thanks OP.

Tarajunky said:   I 'invested' in some CFL flood lights to 'save money' since they would last 'years longer' than regular incandescent bulbs.

My experience is the opposite.  Not one of the 6 CFL flood lights we installed in 2002 has gone out yet!  They are in relatively cheap motion detector fixtures which look like they'll fall apart anyday, but the bulbs still work. They start dim, especially in winter, but get up to full brightness within a minute or two.  I've only had a few CLFs burn out in the entire house and we have a lot of CFL bulbs, most of which were purchased on sale for ~$2 each (or less) at Home Depot 8-10 years ago.

I have been living on my own since 2000. Every time the incandescent burns out in my apartment, I would go buy a CFL bulb as replacement. To date, I have experienced just ONE failure of CFL. That's one I bought from dollar store. Most of my CFL were from Ikea and they haven't disappointed me yet.

The biggest concern is CFL has mercury in it.

snopes.com: CFL Mercury Light Bulbs
Disclaimer
lazyworm said:   The biggest concern is CFL has mercury in it.
  ~~
 MIXTURE OF TRUE AND FALSE INFORMATION:
 TRUE: CFLs contain mercury, a potentially dangerous substance.

TRUE: While mercury stays safely contained in intact CFLs, it escapes from broken CFLs into the immediate surroundings.

FALSE: The amount of mercury contained in one CFL bulb poses a grave danger to a home's inhabitants.

TRUE: The breakage of a CFL bulb needs to be handled with care and certain procedures should be followed in removing the broken bulb and its contents from a home. 

FALSE: The mercury dispersed by one broken CFL bulb needs to be dealt with only by an environmental clean-up crew.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp#iIJOdmgdf7DV1mVy.99 

Also current CFL's use even less mercury than before.

just want to point out that these are LEDs, not CFLs.  the thread had gotten derailed a bit.  

lindelynn said:   

My experience is the opposite.  Not one of the 6 CFL flood lights we installed in 2002 has gone out yet!  They are in relatively cheap motion detector fixtures which look like they'll fall apart anyday, but the bulbs still work. They start dim, especially in winter, but get up to full brightness within a minute or two.  I've only had a few CLFs burn out in the entire house and we have a lot of CFL bulbs, most of which were purchased on sale for ~$2 each (or less) at Home Depot 8-10 years ago.

Second that. I have many CFLs 10+ years old that are still working fine and get 6+ hours of use every day. Have lasted way beyond the rated hours. Various brands, wattages and color temps. The most common way I have had them fail is breakage due to physical shock (e.g. a table lamp fall). My experience with LED bulbs had not been good, granted that was years ago. So they may have improved. For equivalent lumen/watt, I don't find LEDs making financial sense over CFLs, yet.

Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've got CFL bulbs lasting years.  And that includes outdoor lighting by garage and front door with winters (3+ years).  So why would I spend $5 for an LED?

What does the fox say?

Philips warrants that this bulb will be free from defects in material and workmanship and will operatefor 6 years based on up to 3 hours average usage per day/7 days per week, when used as directed. Ifthis bulb does not conform to the warranty, Philips will send you, at its election, a replacement bulb orrefund your original purchase price upon receipt of the returned bulb, register receipt and proof ofpurchase. Please call our toll‐free number, write to Philips or send an email at the website below to findout how to return the bulb.
Warranty info here 

Has anyone used these? My biggest problem with LED's is the directional nature of the light. A CFL and an incandescent bulb shine in all directions. LED's shine in one. They work great for recessed lighting but not so well for other forms. I've bought some rather expensive LED's for outdoor light fixtures that light well in all directions. I would like to replace some vanity lights with LED's but those that I've tried just look weird in the fixture as top half is dark because the light just shines down.

The Philips bulbs are LEDs. So below is mostly off-topic.

CFLs are great in right circumstances. The problem with CFLs is that they should not be turned off and then on right away. Or, to put another way, you should not turn on a still-hot CFL. This significantly shortens their lives. So don't put them in often-used bathrooms, where they'll probably get lots of this off-on cycling. Put them in outdoor lights on a timer. I put some CFLs in my house, and I've been careful to not cycle them. I've been putting them into sockets that turn on and stay on. None have burned out yet, but it's only been 3 years. I could kill the builder for putting fixtures in the bathrooms that only take CFLs. I've had 5 bulbs burn out over 3 years. I found some $20 LED bulbs for them online, but I'm reluctant to buy them quite yet.

LEDs do not have this problem. LEDs do have a problem with heat. Don't put them in enclosed fixtures with no air flow what-so-ever. I just replaced a whole lot of in-door incandescent recessed light bulbs with LEDs ("normal" Cree bulbs). I put LEDs in all heavily-trafficked areas (kitchen, hallways, living room). I'm hoping to never have to change those again, regardless of use-pattern. One of these days, Mrs. Cheap and I will pick some nicer fixtures with air flow so we can put LEDs in more of our indoor lights.

Thanks, OP! In for 6.

cheapmike said:    The problem with CFLs is that they should not be turned off and then on right away. Or, to put another way, you should not turn on a still-hot CFL. This significantly shortens their lives.

I knew turning on/off shortens their life, but that's the first I've heard about turning on when hot. Where did you get that info?

In for 2.

This can be combined with the $5 off $50 coupon code of HDHOLIDAY too. So, if you order 2 of these, plus a $3.50 filler (don't we all need stuff from HD anyway?), then the deal gets even better.

NotAClue said:   Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I've got CFL bulbs lasting years.  And that includes outdoor lighting by garage and front door with winters (3+ years).  So why would I spend $5 for an LED?

For me, I put LEDs where I need instant-on (bath rooms are a good example, where the light may not stay on long either).

With the efficiency of LEDs and CFLs not that far apart, I don't buy LEDs to replace CFLs unless they have burnt out. Eventually CFLs will go the way of candles, but they don't warrant replacement for such a small step up in efficiency.

Btw, these bad boys are 24% off currently and the coupon code brings it to $70.96 FS:

Philips 22-Watt (100W) A21 Household Soft White (2700K) Dimmable LED Light Bulb (E*) (2-Pack)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-22-Watt-100W-A21-Household-So...

Skipping 11 Messages...
Appears to be OOS online.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014