• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Buy Surface
Disclaimer
Deal ends Monday.
LINK 

Microsoft Store
Need a Microsoft Store coupon that earns 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

New Microsoft Surface RT 32 GB
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice, but still looking for a good deal on a touch cover with keyboard for under $50...

Anyone know if BB will price match this if it was bought at MSRP @ Best buy a few days ago? I have a girlfriend who doesn't value thrift as much as I do, unfortunately.

News today has Microsoft killing Windows RT. Perhaps that explains the fire sale prices.

I do not believe anybody who knows what they are talking about has said that. We know that Microsoft wants to merge Windows Phone and Windows RT. However, nobody knows exactly what that means. It could mean that RT is gone. However, this alternatively could mean that Windows RT will eventually replace Windows Phone. Or thirdly, it could mean that the 2 OS' are somehow blended into something that does not yet exist today.

FunnyStuff said:   I do not believe anybody who knows what they are talking about has said that. We know that Microsoft wants to merge Windows Phone and Windows RT. However, nobody knows exactly what that means. It could mean that RT is gone. However, this alternatively could mean that Windows RT will eventually replace Windows Phone. Or thirdly, it could mean that the 2 OS' are somehow blended into something that does not yet exist today.
  Like Windows Phone and RT or PhaRT?

I wasn't able to place order yesterday, but it just went through now. Thanks OP!

Thalaivar said:   
FunnyStuff said:   I do not believe anybody who knows what they are talking about has said that. We know that Microsoft wants to merge Windows Phone and Windows RT. However, nobody knows exactly what that means. It could mean that RT is gone. However, this alternatively could mean that Windows RT will eventually replace Windows Phone. Or thirdly, it could mean that the 2 OS' are somehow blended into something that does not yet exist today.

And their new strategy: sell at a loss, make up for it in volume!

Jokes aside, RT is most likely on the chopping block. Surface RT owners better hope someone ports Android to their soon-to-be bricks.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/26/microsoft-kill-windows-rt-larson-green

peas said:   

Jokes aside, RT is most likely on the chopping block. Surface RT owners better hope someone ports Android to their soon-to-be bricks.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/26/microsoft-kill-windows-rt-larson-green

right  just like those millions of computers still running win XP.

Any why would they just roll out the Surface 2 line-up with RT if they were going to kill it?  They are only discounting the original due to Surface 2 starting to ship, IMO.

rootbear said:   Any why would they just roll out the Surface 2 line-up with RT if they were going to kill it?  They are only discounting the original due to Surface 2 starting to ship, IMO.
Either they have to discontinue Windows RT or Windows Phone... I suspect they would dump Windows RT since Windows Phone has a much bigger market share than RT.
That is said, nice device for $199... they should have started with $199 if they are serious in gaining tablet market share.

SupTech said:   
peas said:   

right  just like those millions of computers still running win XP.

I guess you could try to rationalize it that way, but there's a big difference between XP and RT. XP was the dominant OS for many years. RT never gained traction in the market. Translation: not as much software, quickly diminishing third party developer support when MS kills it off. But hey it's your money, gamble it as you wish

Out of Stock.

oos

Just ordered one at the $199 price.

SupTech said:   
peas said:   

"  right  just like those millions of computers still running win XP." Yes. My office still runs on a Windows XP network of 9 computers. For various reasons, I am not willing to upgrade the network. It works. It meets my current needs.

peas said:   
Thalaivar said:   

If Microsoft bails on RT... that will not turn any of these devices into bricks. RT is more than capable for most of us, it just didn't gain market share. For about $200 you just can't go wrong with this tablet  provided it does what you want/need it to.

poorfatkid said:   
peas said:   
Thalaivar said:   

If Microsoft bails on RT... that will not turn any of these devices into bricks. RT is more than capable for most of us, it just didn't gain market share. For about $200 you just can't go wrong with this tablet  provided it does what you want/need it to.

Microsoft stated in their monthly partner conference call last week as RT is (not maybe) phased out over the next year in favor of the Windows 8 Mobile platform they (Microsoft) will update existing RT devices to be more compatible with Windows 8 Intel devices and apps. The consensus was MS will remove the current RT apps store "walled garden" and open up the app development platform to more third party development. IOW even though RT may be dead there should be more apps. Only time will tell.

If you bought a Surface RT without a keyboard here's a bundle for you
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1319790/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.