QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

NewEgg Cyber Week Sale (Extended from Cyber Monday - Expire 12/09/13)

6 of 7
Yuyak
12/2/13 11:08 PM
I really want to like Newegg because of their past and because of all their work against the patent trolls, and I keep checking there whenever I need electronics/computer components, but their prices are rarely competitive. I'll still buy from them whenever I have something that I know is going to be MSRP everywhere, but that's about it. That is, assuming it's not a HDD I'm trying to buy from them TigerDirect regular prices are inflated, but they've definitely had more of the really hot deals on electronics/computer components this past year or so. Their rebate problems were horrible, but I haven't had or heard of any MIR related issues with them in a few years.
ManuFact
12/2/13 11:44 PM
2 generations ago, the computer I built was *all* from Newegg.

Last generation, half the components were from Newegg.

Current gen, the hard drives came from Newegg.

Various reasons for backing away, and Newegg isn't all bad but it ain't what it used to be... <sniff>
tek2k
12/2/13 11:55 PM
ManuFact said:   

2 generations ago, the computer I built was *all* from Newegg.

Last generation, half the components were from Newegg.

Current gen, the hard drives came from Newegg.

Various reasons for backing away, and Newegg isn't all bad but it ain't what it used to be... <sniff>

† agreed. their warehouse is 15m away from me. back in the day if i ordered something it usually came within 2-3 days. now it takes over a week.
Centora87
12/3/13 12:57 AM
RiteNut said:   

I got the email too, but it's for mobile site only, and supposed to be active starting 2PM PST or 5PM EST.

††I too got the email. It's valid for a little over an hour from now. So tempted to purchase another Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD from them using their 5% off coupon. It's $249.99 retail and after Cyber Monday discount plus coupon, the grand total is $201.48. If you apply the CashBack FatWallet offers, $199.47 total. That's over $50 off one of the best SSD's available.
Daddy6113 said:   

dlight1 said:   

I use to love Newegg. Two years ago when I built my Core i5 build, I spent roughly $700 in parts during their Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Two days AFTER Cyber Monday, they discounted the ram an extra $5 cheaper than the Cyber Monday promo (perhaps over-stocked?). I asked them to match their lower asking price since it wasn't even 48hrs after I ordered it. They responded with something like, "Sorry, prices fluctuate daily based on the market." They seriously lost a loyal customer over $5. Around June of this year I upgraded to a SSD (Samsung 840 Pro ftw!!!). Newegg had it listed for $230, and Tiger Direct had it for $235. I proudly paid the extra $5 to TD to ensure myself a smooth transaction.

Btw: The ram in question is the G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1.5V 1600MHz DDR3. At the time it was $49.99 MSRP on sale for $39.99 with a $10 off coupon making it $29.99. After Cyber Monday they discounted that particular ram to $34.99 and $10 off coupon was still valid making it $24.99 final price. I still got a steal at $29.99, considering the same exact ram costs $79.99.

† I had to chuckle when I read this, smooth transaction and Tiger Direct in the same sentence. †Just a few years ago that would have been cause for a mental examination. †I will grant you they have cleaned up their act, seemingly since they acquired CompUSA and Circuit City. †TigerDirect was†notorious†for drawing people in with rebates and refusing to pay them out.

† I've only ordered a few times from them, but never dealt with them in regards to rebates. Rebates tend to be a big deal breaker for me, unless I'm going to purchase that particular model, etc.
bxlefty23 said:   

dlight1 said:   

I use to love Newegg. Two years ago when I built my Core i5 build, I spent roughly $700 in parts during their Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Two days AFTER Cyber Monday, they discounted the ram an extra $5 cheaper than the Cyber Monday promo (perhaps over-stocked?). I asked them to match their lower asking price since it wasn't even 48hrs after I ordered it. They responded with something like, "Sorry, prices fluctuate daily based on the market." They seriously lost a loyal customer over $5. Around June of this year I upgraded to a SSD (Samsung 840 Pro ftw!!!). Newegg had it listed for $230, and Tiger Direct had it for $235. I proudly paid the extra $5 to TD to ensure myself a smooth transaction.

Btw: The ram in question is the G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1.5V 1600MHz DDR3. At the time it was $49.99 MSRP on sale for $39.99 with a $10 off coupon making it $29.99. After Cyber Monday they discounted that particular ram to $34.99 and $10 off coupon was still valid making it $24.99 final price. I still got a steal at $29.99, considering the same exact ram costs $79.99.

††

im all for getting a good deal and by your own admission you got a steal, so if you aren't even happy with a self admitted steal of a deal chances are they make none of next to no money off of you so i really doubt doubt they care about losing you as a customer.

† The key to any successful business model is to always accept cash under any circumstances. The next important factor would be good customer satisfaction. It would be a fair statement to say that they indeed are not turning a profit due to the fact I try to avoid making purchases from them. However, a majority of their merchandise they turn a profit on, no matter how cheap they are selling it for. In fact, you would actually be surprised how much merchandise they push and not even touch the product. They simply use their "brand", Newegg, as an avenue for other retailers to market their product, and they earn a percentage or fixed price per unit. So indeed its fair to say they are not gaining anything by displease me as a customer, or anyone else for that matter that doesn't get top notch service.
SteelRing
12/3/13 1:18 AM
you know there is only one THING.... ONE THING... I was begging for this year, is the 3TB Seagate I got last year BF both from Ama70n and Egg for $90. I would have paid the same this year, but NO they don't make it any lower than $100 this year. WTF, this is old spinning hard drive we're talking about right? This thing supposed to fall in price like a rock from the sky, is this not true anymore???? Rotten Egg just stinks this year and I would have bought from them over ama70n any day coz ama70n charged tax nowadays.
HTN
12/3/13 2:02 AM
SteelRing said:   

you know there is only one THING.... ONE THING... I was begging for this year, is the 3TB Seagate I got last year BF both from Ama70n and Egg for $90. I would have paid the same this year, but NO they don't make it any lower than $100 this year. WTF, this is old spinning hard drive we're talking about right? This thing supposed to fall in price like a rock from the sky, is this not true anymore???? Rotten Egg just stinks this year and I would have bought from them over ama70n any day coz ama70n charged tax nowadays.

It's not a Seagate, but the WD 3TB deal for $80 back in June was a really good deal.† I purchased two and they are performing fine.

I just placed my first order on their mobile website to take advantage of the 5% discount.† And I must say, their mobile site needs a lot of work to get anywhere near the functionality of the main website.† As mentioned by others, it's not like their main website was great to begin with.
voyager6868
12/3/13 12:25 PM
dlight1 said:   

RiteNut said:   

I got the email too, but it's for mobile site only, and supposed to be active starting 2PM PST or 5PM EST.

††I too got the email. It's valid for a little over an hour from now. So tempted to purchase another Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD from them using their 5% off coupon. It's $249.99 retail and after Cyber Monday discount plus coupon, the grand total is $201.48. If you apply the CashBack FatWallet offers, $199.47 total. That's over $50 off one of the best SSD's available.

Not sure why you would pay nearly $200 for the 840 Pro when you could have had the 840 EVO for $120 or $130 at various places with Visa/Mastercard/Amex discounts over the past few days (Rakuten, Amazon, TigerDirect).

20% off retail isn't really much of a deal.
seethericci
12/3/13 12:31 PM
They make it a little bit hard to go through the sale items, but I got some good deals for a new computer I am building.
jimboe
12/3/13 1:04 PM
HTN said:   

SteelRing said:   

It's not a Seagate, but the WD 3TB deal for $80† back in June was a really good deal.† I purchased two and they are performing fine.

I just placed my first order on their mobile website to take advantage of the 5% discount.† And I must say, their mobile site needs a lot of work to get anywhere near the functionality of the main website.† As mentioned by others, it's not like their main website was great to begin with.

††there was this seagate 3tb internal yesterday for $99, no rebates
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1311676/
Centora87
12/3/13 3:26 PM
voyager6868 said:   

dlight1 said:   

RiteNut said:   

Not sure why you would pay nearly $200 for the 840 Pro when you could have had the 840 EVO for $120 or $130 at various places with Visa/Mastercard/Amex discounts over the past few days (Rakuten, Amazon, TigerDirect).

20% off retail isn't really much of a deal.

† The EVO model uses the newer "TLC" type NAND's which don't last as long as "MLC". Yes you guessed it, PRO model uses MLC NAND'S. In regards to speed or read/write, they are about identical. As per rating, EVO is estimated to have 19 years life and comes with 1yr warranty. The PRO is estimated to have 70 years life and comes with 3yrs warranty. Technology rapidly improves daily, so assuming you use the drives as intended, I'm sure 10yrs from now these drives will be obsolete anyways. Replace them with 1TB SATA 4 drives with 4GB/sec read/write.

I didn't get the drive, but it would be awesome to RAID 0 the 840 Pro's, and possibly use an EVO as the TRIM drive.
6 of 7
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.