• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Staples
Need a Staples coupon that earns Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

seagate (8.39kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I've taken the drives out of several of these and looked up the warranty.  It showed a warranty for the drive under its ... (more)

Hi Buster (Dec. 06, 2013 @ 9:15p) |

Keep in mind the poor 1-star rating numbers vs the total rating numbers at both Amazon and Newegg for both the 4tb Seaga... (more)

adorable (Dec. 06, 2013 @ 9:30p) |

Staples is OOS now, but you can still get it at OD

Mulox (Dec. 09, 2013 @ 5:27p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Used the $10 off coupon 25147 via Staple. FW 2.5%.  Thanks OP.

Unknown said:   Amazon $119
  $119 is for 3TB while the one OP posted is 4TB.

It's $129.99 at Costco too, with much better return policy (basically lifetime).

any coupons to sweeten the deal?

alamedian said:   

I know. I couldn't delete fast enough. Updated. Thanks!

Unknown said:   
alamedian said:   

Thanks for the coupon code you posted.  Saved me $10.

NM

+1!

Awesome price for the size! Does anyone know if these can be taken apart easily and used for internal? Last thing I need is yet another external drive... thanks!

Mulox said:   Awesome price for the size! Does anyone know if these can be taken apart easily and used for internal? Last thing I need is yet another external drive... thanks!
Power supply failure is less likely to kill the external drives.  I once had all my internal drives, motherboard, video card etc killed by a faulty power supply.  Even if you raid your hard drives, they might not survive power supply failure.

Seems like a fair price for the size. I am going to need one pretty soon my other two are almost full.

Unknown said:   
alamedian said:   

earlier this morning the 4TB one on Amazon was $119 but now it showing like ~$160.

Youtube video showing how to open the case and remove the drive inside.

thanks.

I just bought a second 3TB version of this drive using the AMEX $25 off $75 at Amazon. $75 net!

Solandri said:   It's $129.99 at Costco too, with much better return policy (basically lifetime).
Costco's "lifetime return policy" doesn't cover computers.  Not sure if it will cover computer accessories (like hard drive).

cnnusa said:   
Solandri said:   It's $129.99 at Costco too, with much better return policy (basically lifetime).
Costco's "lifetime return policy" doesn't cover computers.  Not sure if it will cover computer accessories (like hard drive).

It does cover computer accessories. Few months back, we returned desktop keyboard after 3 yrs when it stopped working. 

Also $129 @ Best Buy

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=7585057&pid=1218854298368&pcatId=abcat0504001

Be careful if you're going to try to use a drive that is over 2TB on a computer running Windows XP. I waited and waited until I got a good deal on a 3TB drive and enclosure...only to discover later that you cannot run any drive >2TB on Windows XP without installing the manufacturer's special driver on each computer. Though I did not try it, I was reading that trying to set it up as your main internal disk is also a royal PITA.

"Awesome price for the size! Does anyone know if these can be taken apart easily and used for internal? Last thing I need is yet another external drive... thanks!"

Yes these can be taken out and used as internals.

Thanks OP, seems like the more storage I buy, the more I use.

STCA4000100 also available on Amazon from Office Depot(ships from FL) for same price. Just might use 25off75 amex credit for this.

Got it for 109 + Tax = 119
They sent me a $20 off 100 coupon that expires 12/7

bytem3 said:   Be careful if you're going to try to use a drive that is over 2TB on a computer running Windows XP. I waited and waited until I got a good deal on a 3TB drive and enclosure...only to discover later that you cannot run any drive >2TB on Windows XP without installing the manufacturer's special driver on each computer. Though I did not try it, I was reading that trying to set it up as your main internal disk is also a royal PITA.
  It works fine on XP sp3.  Just hooked one up yesterday, says 3.63 tb available.  There is a bunch of "how to" videos, their dashboard software, etc that takes up some space. I guess I will delete that stuff.

I have tried to install an internal 3tb drive on XP and also have had some issues.  I think I had it set up correctly, but thought it was wrong and changed a bunch of settings, and now it will not go back to where it should.  Any freeware out there that will overcome this 2tb  limitation of XP?

Grabbed two of these on the Amazon lightning deal yesterday..gonna open em' up and throw them into a NAS setup. Great reviews and the drives themselves are eligible for the seagate warranty without the enclosure.

JC73 said:   Grabbed two of these on the Amazon lightning deal yesterday..gonna open em' up and throw them into a NAS setup. Great reviews and the drives themselves are eligible for the seagate warranty without the enclosure.
  What are the drives? I couldn't find the model online anywhere, just how-to's on opening the enclosure.

FYI on the warranty. The drives are mostly tied with the enclosure. We bought 30 4TB drives 2 months ago and just for fun we ran all 30 serial numbers. None had valid warranties, only the external (bundle) had warranty. If you google other sources you will come up with the same info.

defjukie said:   Thanks OP, seems like the more storage I buy, the more I use.
  Just like money

mainomega said:   FYI on the warranty. The drives are mostly tied with the enclosure. We bought 30 4TB drives 2 months ago and just for fun we ran all 30 serial numbers. None had valid warranties, only the external (bundle) had warranty. If you google other sources you will come up with the same info.
I've taken the drives out of several of these and looked up the warranty.  It showed a warranty for the drive under its serial number.  If I recall correctly, it was 3 years.  The external drive has a 2 year warranty.

Keep in mind the poor 1-star rating numbers vs the total rating numbers at both Amazon and Newegg for both the 4tb Seagate and 4tb WD external drives. 190 1-star out of 1231 reviews at Amazon (15.4% failure rate), 33 / 207 at Newegg (15.9% failure rate).

This is very high for losing that much data, and unless you've got 2 4TB drives mirrored, smarter to put 1 copy of important data onto 2.5" external 1TB drives instead. (eg. WD 1TB Ultra - 15/144 @ 7% failure rate)

Why? 3.5" drives are heavier and bigger - more momentum = greater head/platter damage when dropped, etc. Also, more heat generation due to the bigger motor, platter, etc, so they run hotter than 2.5" drives. Hotter = higher chance of premature failure. 2.5" drives run cooler, even when inside an enclosure that doesn't have lots of ventillation. (Most of these desktop 3.5" enclosures don't move enough air past these drives to keep them cool enough!)

So, yes - hot deal. But do be careful if you're only storing all of your data on this one drive.

Staples is OOS now, but you can still get it at OD

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014