Member Summary

Roku 3 Streaming Video Player
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
By the way, it is a REFURB
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Roku
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

1SAD.  If this was Newegg I would go for it.  On the fence.

just 1 question...how many free channels can we actually get from Roku 3? Is it even better to put a big antenna on the roof and get more free channels? Or buy the Roku 3 for 70 and then still have to pay $8 month to get more channels than you ever needed?

Take a look at this South Park cable company - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6G-wNyIxzM  

Roku 3 free good channels are PBS (history, kids shows, etc...) and Crackle (a movie channel with commercials). You can also watch Conan for free and other channels as well.

I just recently signed up for Amazon prime. They had a special and I got in for $5 a month.
I also use OTA digital for my local channels and 4 big ones.

These are not really refurbished. What they do is reset them to factory and send back out if they turn on. The problem is the Roku's have issues where they get slow and can freeze after returning from sleep. To get around it I turned off my screen saver so it stays on all the time. After I did that mine doe not slow down anymore.

I love my Roku but how in the hell do they have soooooo many friggin refurbs??????????????
Roku 3 hasn't been out that long.
By the way if your on the fence about a Roku Box look into the free Roku private channels some are GREAT!!!!

newbie question here and considering a Roku to cut my cable but can I view music channels (mtv,vh1,fuse) and news channels (nbc,fox, cbs) and any cable channel with a Roku?

I know of one cable company that allows the Roku to be used as a cheap cable box-TimeWarner, but you have to subscribe to local channels.  I don't have cable, so I don't know how well it works.
MTV, VH1, Fuse -- no official channel.  Alternative music channel that is available would be VEVO. There are lots of music channels, but not many with video.  http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/music/by-popular 
New channels--I think Fox new is available, and the description says live stream.  Most are clips.  http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/news-and-weather/by-popula... The only live stream I've actually tried is CNN International. 
Certain channels also require a cable subscription in order to receive through the Roku.  Examples is ESPN.com (depending on your internet provider as TimeWarner blocks if you only have internet as I do), HBOGo, etc.  I'd love to get ESPN.com, but it's not worth $50 per month to me (cheapest cable package with ESPN.com).

I have 3 Rokus one LT and two HD.  I also use OTA anntenna.  I recently bought the Simple.TV as well for DVR functions (It's ok, but not so simple that I'd recommend to people actually looking for something simple, like my parents, if you know what I mean, but they are supposed to be updating the firmware soon...)  I also use PLEX and PlayOn.  I'm very happy, except when my Ky Wildcats basketball is playing on ESPN.com.......then it's date night to a sports bar.

thanks rurallaw

cyberpitstop said:   I love my Roku but how in the hell do they have soooooo many friggin refurbs??????????????
Roku 3 hasn't been out that long.
By the way if your on the fence about a Roku Box look into the free Roku private channels some are GREAT!!!!

People buy them thinking they get free Netflix, HOB, etc... and not that its s streaming box.

I think there is plenty of good free channels myself but many expect more from it or don't understand and just return it. They sell it at Costco and Amazon so easy returns.

vistaluck said:   just 1 question...how many free channels can we actually get from Roku 3? Is it even better to put a big antenna on the roof and get more free channels? Or buy the Roku 3 for 70 and then still have to pay $8 month to get more channels than you ever needed?

Take a look at this South Park cable company - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6G-wNyIxzM  

If you have an antenna, the Simple DVR that has been Wooted a lot lately can stream live content to your television. This can be good if... 

1) there is no coax near the tv 
2) you like to pause/rewind tv 

That same Simple device is a whole house DVR, so you can capture programs and view them throughout your home. You can also view this live and recorded programming when you are away from home. 

If you have TVs that are not smart or attached to a PS3, the Rokus are an inexpensive alternative. 

If you do not have an antenna and do not want to pay for cable, you can subscribe to Aereo and stream that through your Roku

There is some compelling content available which may not be available on your PC or for your smart TV. Some is available via Roku channels and more is available using supplementary programs like Plex and Playon... 

ADC: Free movie channel 
Amazon Cloud Player: Play all the free music Amazon sends my way 
CNN: Includes CNN International Live for background news and information 
Crackle: Sony’s FREE version of Netflix 
CS50: Harvard Intor to Computer Science course 
Comedy Time: ‘Play All’ makes for good background noise 
CBSSports.com: ‘Play All’ feature makes for a nice sports news channel 
CNBC: Streaming business news for news and information 
FoxNews: Stream from web site plus clips of popular shows with ‘Play All’ 
Kaplan College Prep: Help your kid with his SATs 
Lecture Kings: Librivox audio box is hidden in a channel of university lectures 
Netflix 
Nowhere TV 
OVGuide: Free movie channel 
Plex: Stream files to your Roku via a Plex Server; lots of supported and unsupported channels too 
Popcornflix 
Popflix Classic TV: 26 Men, Adventures of Robin Hood, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Burns and Allen, Date with the Angels, Dragnet, Life with Elizabeth, The Lone Ranger, The Lucy Show, Man with a Camera, Petticoat Junction, Sherlock Holmes, Westerns, You Bet Your Life 
PubDHub: The stuff your dad used to reminisce about — ancient cartoons, PSAs, commercials, and movies 
Smithsonian: Better than the Discovery Channel 
TWiT: Steve Gibson, Leo Laporte, and others talk tech 
WSJ Live: WSJ had good election coverage 
MyVideoBuzz: MyVideoBuzz is a YouTube channel for the Roku that has been banned. You can sideload MyVideoBuzz. 
Playon 

The Playon channel has some fun stuff... 

Food Network: Episodes and clips 
History Channel: Episodes and clips 
Hulu: Free TV and movies 
VH1: Music Videos 

Plex adds more... 

ABC: Episodes of current ABC shows 
ABC Family: Episodes of current ABC Family shows 
Academic Earth: Online classes from top universities 
Amazon Instant Video: Movies and tv episodes (Prime, Pay-Per-View, and Purchase) 
CBS: Episodes of current CBS shows plus classics 
CBS Sports: Sports news and converage 
Charlie Rose: One-on-one interviews with persons of interest 
CNET TV: Tech news and stories 
CNN: Cable News Network 
Comedy Central: Comedy entertainment 
Crackle: Sony movie channel 
Daily Kos TV: Political news video blog 
Dailymotion: Music videos, short movies, tv shows, funny and extreme videos 
ESPN.com 3: Sports programming (requires TV provider subscription) 
Food Network: Food Network episodes 
Fox News: Clips from Fox News' programs 
HGTV: Home and Garden Television 
History Channel: History Channel episodes 
Khan Academy: Free world-class education for anyone anywhere 
MSNBC: Clips from MSNBC programs 
MTV: Music videos 
NBC: Episodes of current NBC shows 
Netflix: Subscription movies and tv episodes 
Nick Jr: Nick Jr. episodes 
NPR: National Public Radio 
Pandora: Music 
PBS: PBS episides 
PBS Kids: PBS Kids episodes 
Revision3: Original programming 
Spike: Spike.com episodes 
TED Talks: Nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading 
The Colbert Report: Colbert Report episodes 
The CW: The CW episodes 
The Daily Show: Daily Show episodes 
The WB: WB episodes 
USA Network: USA Network episodes 
Vevo: Music videos 
Vimeo: Videos 
YouTube: Cats and stuff 

You need a server for Plex and Playon. I like Nowhere USB for playing media attached to the usb port. 

Has anyone found a way to play local mkv or wtv files from a computer on the Roku, without using plex?

Marlin1975 said:   Roku 3 free good channels are PBS (history, kids shows, etc...) and Crackle (a movie channel with commercials). You can also watch Conan for free and other channels as well.

I just recently signed up for Amazon prime. They had a special and I got in for $5 a month.
I also use OTA digital for my local channels and 4 big ones.

These are not really refurbished. What they do is reset them to factory and send back out if they turn on. The problem is the Roku's have issues where they get slow and can freeze after returning from sleep. To get around it I turned off my screen saver so it stays on all the time. After I did that mine doe not slow down anymore.

You're saying the only free channels are PBS and Crackle?  What about Hulu or youtube?
What about those wizwor listed at the top of his list?  This thread mentions some too.

wizwor said:   
Plex adds more... 

[cut]

You need a server for Plex and Playon. I like Nowhere USB for playing media attached to the usb port. 

I thought Plex was just a server for storing your own videos. How does it give you channels? And why do channels need a server? Can it be faked?

I dumped my XD for XS and much happier with the USB port and IR remote. I still prefer my Quad HDMI android stick for light gaming but Roku does a good job of adding channels and software updates.

Question...why not just use Plex on Ipad and connect that up when you want something? I am torn between getting a Roku and spending the money or just saving it. Have Netflix/Youtube/Amazon on my Vizio TV already...

Argh.

I ordered a refurb from Newegg yesterday for $10 more.

For those curious about Plex, it is great. I had two WD TV live boxes that I gladly dumped for a Roku 3. I basically play Netflix, Amazon Prime (with Roku, not WD) and play local files. The WD box sucked. One, it was pathetically slow in anything it did. Secondly, when it listed files/directories, it sorted them by name. There was no way to sort them by date. With the Roku, to play media files, you use Plex. Plex is basically XBMC sort of, cleaned up, stripped down and expanded. I know that makes no sense, but XBMC is my favorite as it does EVERYTHING, but it is more complicated than it needs to be for *wife material* Plex, based upon XBMC does not have all the features of XBMC, but does make it *wife approved* I wish Plex would let me list files/directories instead of 'channels.' The channels can be something as simple as TV shows or Movies or as complex as CNN, History Channel. So far the only complaint I have about the Roku is the fast forwarding. The WD box and XBMC, when you fast forward you would see frames change as your forwarded. With the Roku, it shows the frame where you were and a bar just showing the time as you forward along.

Thanks for posting this.

I just received my Roku in the mail after nearly 3 weeks. It came with the wrong remote control. the remote does not have a headphone jack. it came with earbuds but nothing to plug them into! I am so annoyed.

I called Roku and they told me I have to call 1sale. I sent them am email. well see what happens.

anyone else have this problem?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014