• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Best Buy
See Best Buy discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Roku 2500R (91.40kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I cut the R2XS add from their old comparison chart and pasted it onto the current chart.  When that chart was current, t... (more)

wizwor (Dec. 05, 2013 @ 10:16p) |

The 5x proc is more Roku hype.  If you needed that for anything now or in the near future, would they have released four... (more)

wizwor (Dec. 05, 2013 @ 10:25p) |

I guess I wasn't clear.. You advised to get the OP Roku instead of the Roku 3 if only using free channels. Why? Are you ... (more)

Slickone (Dec. 06, 2013 @ 9:56a) |

Staff Summary

Purchase through PayPal for additional $10 off...

How do you get the paypal deal?

huntergather said:   Purchase through PayPal for additional $10 off...
  How so?

What gives?

No component out

I believe poster is referring to this topic...http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1321526/

I thought that was only using a Best Buy eBay Store?

Thisiswhaticanafford said:   huntergather said:   Purchase through PayPal for additional $10 off...
  I thought that was only using a Best Buy eBay Store?

It's the same price through their eBay store...so purchase away..just check your PayPal account for offer-- ymmv -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321263934592?redirect=mobile

Thanks OP. In for a gift for a family member.

I read reviews and almost everyone praise it but seems they all have a subscription to Netflix or AMZ Prime or Hulu+ already. Can you guys enlighten me as to whether the free channels are any good for people like me who has no subscriptions anywhere?

Thanks.

Refurb, 90 day warranty. I would just buy the newer Roku LT

mmyk72 said:   I read reviews and almost everyone praise it but seems they all have a subscription to Netflix or AMZ Prime or Hulu+ already. Can you guys enlighten me as to whether the free channels are any good for people like me who has no subscriptions anywhere?

Thanks.

Some free channels that come to mind are crackle, epix (for movies), bbc for news, pandora for music; pbs, limited disney, smithsonian channel.
Here's a link to the top 25
http://www.roku-channels.com/top-25-roku-channels
I would suggest you preview the available channels prior to buying one.
I havent used many of the free channels as I too have Netflix but for personal content there are some gems such as plex (assuming you have a dedicated pc as a server) and twonky beam to beam over content from your phone to your tv (i.e. youtube videos)

ArmchairQB said:   Refurb, 90 day warranty. I would just buy the newer Roku LT
You are wrong about that! This is new old stock.
And they ALL have a 90 day warranty.

mmyk72 said:   I read reviews and almost everyone praise it but seems they all have a subscription to Netflix or AMZ Prime or Hulu+ already. Can you guys enlighten me as to whether the free channels are any good for people like me who has no subscriptions anywhere?

Thanks.

Crackle is free movies and some TV Shows.  They do have ads but for free who cares.

Does anyone know if this model works with the old Roku LT remote (The IR one not the BT one)?

A few other channels of note that are also free:
•USTVNOW: Gives you free access to the major broadcast networks, albeit usually from a local affiliate hundreds of miles away. Pay extra for cable channels, plus access to a DVR.
•Plex. Access not only your computer's library of videos, but libraries of on-demand shows from all of the major networks, plus a few other channels such as History and Food Network. This is the way you also get YouTube.
•ESPNow. Get ESPN3 programming for free, plus obscure regional games live – and a ton of replays of prominent games. Also, SportsCenter highlights and feature stories. If you're already an ESPN.com subscriber, you can also watch the regular channels as well.
•NowhereTV. Haven't fully explored it, but lots of live feeds. One of the most valuable is CNN International.
•PBS. Didn't see the great Hendrix documentary? It's in their on-demand library, plus all their other cool shows.
•Radio Paradise. My favorite Internet radio station. Had to put in a plug for it.

would you get this or $70 for the Roku 3? Is the 5x processor noticeable?

i like the headphones option in Roku 3

No 1080p.. which a lot of youtube videos have.

wildviper said:   would you get this or $70 for the Roku 3? Is the 5x processor noticeable?
  I have the original Roku 1 or whatever it was called.  I just use it for crackle and Netflix.  It still works just fine.
  I'm not sure what the extra processor would do.

I have the Roku 2 XS (it had been on Newegg for $55 refurbed but included an extra remote and an HDMI cable. You could probably sell the extra remote on eBay for $15 if this deal comes back again) which I'd recommend over this one. And I don't have Netflix, just Amazon Prime Instant Video. The Roku 2 XS has:

1) 1080p resolution
2) USB port which plays .mov and .mp4 files (and possibly .mkv-- I'm not sure offhand)
3) a 10 second rewind button like DVRs have.

These factors alone make this a much more worthwhile purchase than the Roku HD. I mostly use it to play my mp4 videos and it's great not having to wait for my BluRay player to boot up first. And the 10 second rewind button gives you great control over viewing playback. Feels like a Tivo.

Bizatch said:   No component out
  Does anyone still use component ? I guessing that most have moved to the new high def TV's with HDMI.. Adding component out just adds to the cost...

letsspendlotsofmoney said:   
  Does anyone still use component ? I guessing that most have moved to the new high def TV's with HDMI.. Adding component out just adds to the cost...

one guy from another thread said he likes component so that can have stereo running without having tv running 

a2travelguy said:   A few other channels of note that are also free:
•USTVNOW: Gives you free access to the major broadcast networks, albeit usually from a local affiliate hundreds of miles away. Pay extra for cable channels, plus access to a DVR.

As far as I can tell USTVNOW only gives you 45 days of Roku access on the free account. Am I misunderstanding the signup page?
"Free 45 day trial for all our supported devices including Mobile, Tablet, Smart TVs, Roku and Vizio "

No HBO GO access on Roku if you use Comcast!

So ditch comcast (I did) and go with almost any other provider.

peste386 said:   
a2travelguy said:   A few other channels of note that are also free:

As far as I can tell USTVNOW only gives you 45 days of Roku access on the free account. Am I misunderstanding the signup page?
"Free 45 day trial for all our supported devices including Mobile, Tablet, Smart TVs, Roku and Vizio "

I am less than 45 days in, but I just logged in and my account says I'm signed up for the free plan with no upcoming plans to charge me. 

wildviper said:   would you get this or $70 for the Roku 3? Is the 5x processor noticeable?

If you are only going to use the free channels and/or limited use then get the cheaper one.

For me I wanted the USB port on the Roku3 and also I just got Amazon prime. So I got the Roku3 for my room and my old HD went in my sons room.

actiontec23 said:   
letsspendlotsofmoney said:   

one guy from another thread said he likes component so that can have stereo running without having tv running 

That's composite.  Composite audio plays all the time, so you can route a cable from your Roku to speakers and play with the tv off.

ArmchairQB said:   Refurb, 90 day warranty. I would just buy the newer Roku LT
  New units are 90 day warranty as well.

Thanks.

If you have an antenna, the Simple DVR that has been Wooted a lot lately can stream live content to your television. This can be good if... 

1) there is no coax near the tv 
2) you like to pause/rewind tv 

That same Simple device is a whole house DVR, so you can capture programs and view them throughout your home. You can also view this live and recorded programming when you are away from home. 

If you have TVs that are not smart or attached to a PS3, the Rokus are an inexpensive alternative. 

If you do not have an antenna and do not want to pay for cable, you can subscribe to Aereo and stream that through your Roku

There is some compelling content available which may not be available on your PC or for your smart TV. Some is available via Roku channels and more is available using supplementary programs like Plex and Playon... 

ADC: Free movie channel 
Amazon Cloud Player: Play all the free music Amazon sends my way 
CNN: Includes CNN International Live for background news and information 
Crackle: Sony’s FREE version of Netflix 
CS50: Harvard Intor to Computer Science course 
Comedy Time: ‘Play All’ makes for good background noise 
CBSSports.com: ‘Play All’ feature makes for a nice sports news channel 
CNBC: Streaming business news for news and information 
FoxNews: Stream from web site plus clips of popular shows with ‘Play All’ 
Kaplan College Prep: Help your kid with his SATs 
Lecture Kings: Librivox audio box is hidden in a channel of university lectures 
Netflix 
Nowhere TV 
OVGuide: Free movie channel 
Plex: Stream files to your Roku via a Plex Server; lots of supported and unsupported channels too 
Popcornflix 
Popflix Classic TV: 26 Men, Adventures of Robin Hood, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Burns and Allen, Date with the Angels, Dragnet, Life with Elizabeth, The Lone Ranger, The Lucy Show, Man with a Camera, Petticoat Junction, Sherlock Holmes, Westerns, You Bet Your Life 
PubDHub: The stuff your dad used to reminisce about — ancient cartoons, PSAs, commercials, and movies 
Smithsonian: Better than the Discovery Channel 
TWiT: Steve Gibson, Leo Laporte, and others talk tech 
WSJ Live: WSJ had good election coverage 
MyVideoBuzz: MyVideoBuzz is a YouTube channel for the Roku that has been banned. You can sideload MyVideoBuzz. 
Playon 

The Playon channel has some fun stuff... 

Food Network: Episodes and clips 
History Channel: Episodes and clips 
Hulu: Free TV and movies 
VH1: Music Videos 

Plex adds more... 

ABC: Episodes of current ABC shows 
ABC Family: Episodes of current ABC Family shows 
Academic Earth: Online classes from top universities 
Amazon Instant Video: Movies and tv episodes (Prime, Pay-Per-View, and Purchase) 
CBS: Episodes of current CBS shows plus classics 
CBS Sports: Sports news and converage 
Charlie Rose: One-on-one interviews with persons of interest 
CNET TV: Tech news and stories 
CNN: Cable News Network 
Comedy Central: Comedy entertainment 
Crackle: Sony movie channel 
Daily Kos TV: Political news video blog 
Dailymotion: Music videos, short movies, tv shows, funny and extreme videos 
ESPN.com 3: Sports programming (requires TV provider subscription) 
Food Network: Food Network episodes 
Fox News: Clips from Fox News' programs 
HGTV: Home and Garden Television 
History Channel: History Channel episodes 
Khan Academy: Free world-class education for anyone anywhere 
MSNBC: Clips from MSNBC programs 
MTV: Music videos 
NBC: Episodes of current NBC shows 
Netflix: Subscription movies and tv episodes 
Nick Jr: Nick Jr. episodes 
NPR: National Public Radio 
Pandora: Music 
PBS: PBS episides 
PBS Kids: PBS Kids episodes 
Revision3: Original programming 
Spike: Spike.com episodes 
TED Talks: Nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading 
The Colbert Report: Colbert Report episodes 
The CW: The CW episodes 
The Daily Show: Daily Show episodes 
The WB: WB episodes 
USA Network: USA Network episodes 
Vevo: Music videos 
Vimeo: Videos 
YouTube: Cats and stuff 

You need a server for Plex and Playon. I like Nowhere USB for playing media attached to the usb port. 

There are a LOT of Roku models.  5x proc is one feature, but there are others that are, imho, more important.  Composite out is one of them.  The linked table summarizes the features of the current models plus the Roku 2 XS.

Notice the Roku 2 XS has wired plus wireless ethernet, composite out, usb, and a motion controller for games.

The Roku 2 XS is the very best Roku model.  While the Roku 3′s processor improves response over previous models, I did not think this was a problem. Roku must agree since they reverted to the older processor for models released this September.  R3 has a remote with an earphone plug, but I do not know why anyone would want that. If you are going to use headphones, you probably want to stream more than your Roku, right?   The R3 removed composite connectivity. I’m very unhappy about this because I use the analog audio outs as audio input to my HTIB which allows me to listen to Pandora, Spotify, and other audio channels without running my 50″ plasma tv. With the extra controller ($25 and unavailable on the Roku site), and $40 less than the Roku 3, this is a no brainer!

PS if you do not know what a Roku is, look here: http://rokufordummies.wordpress.com 

Thanks so much for helping decipher Roku's free channel for me. I'm most interested in the Food Network, HGTV, History Channel, CNET type of shows which fall under the Plex list. How does one get Plex - is it a simple icon in Roku or need to do some work to get it?

All this streaming except for the crap is pay tv where you have to go through usernames, passwords, giving your credit card number.
That sure is fun to do 25 times............streaming is all hype....no real substance and no big bargain over cable.

Mom and Dad"s Christmas Present, Check. My 14 year Son's gift of UNLIMITED technical support, Check. Thanks OP!

belgique said:   All this streaming except for the crap is pay tv where you have to go through usernames, passwords, giving your credit card number.
That sure is fun to do 25 times............streaming is all hype....no real substance and no big bargain over cable.

I pay $5 a month and have more TV than I could ever watch, all legal. What cable package beats that?

mmyk72 said:   Thanks so much for helping decipher Roku's free channel for me. I'm most interested in the Food Network, HGTV, History Channel, CNET type of shows which fall under the Plex list. How does one get Plex - is it a simple icon in Roku or need to do some work to get it?
  Plex is an Internet plug-in that you need to run on your computer. You can download it for free and add/subtract/manage your channels on the home screen. It's easy to do. And as far as I can tell completely free if you choose your channels carefully.

Link to download

Also note that Roku's now support Slingbox, which is pretty huge IMO.

Slingbox customers can now watch their live or recorded TV through a Roku streaming player connected to a TV in another room in the house or in a remote location. Customers will use either SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone or Android phone to initiate the video and send it to the TV with a tap of a button. They will also need to install the free SlingPlayer channel, from the Roku Channel Store. Roku devices supported at launch include the Roku 3, Roku 2, Roku 1, Roku LT (models 2400X and 2700X), Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD and Roku 2 HD players as well as the Roku Streaming Stick. Support for the Roku HD (model 2500X) and Roku LT (model 2450X) will be added later this month.

http://www.slingbox.com/get/pr-slingplayer-updates-nov-2013.html

Yes, Plex rocks. It is a free and easy download to add it to the Roku and it is also free to install the server component on PC or a Mac. They do charge for the Plex client for the iPad (to play the movies you have on your Plex server on your PC or Mac).

Skipping 19 Messages...
wizwor said:   
Slickone said:   
Marlin1975 said:   

If you are only going to use the free channels and/or limited use then get the cheaper one.

For me I wanted the USB port on the Roku3 and also I just got Amazon prime. So I got the Roku3 for my room and my old HD went in my sons room.

You're saying you only need the 5x processor speed if using paid channels, correct? But the 1080p on the Roku 2 would be worth getting even with free channels, wouldn't it?

The 5x proc is more Roku hype.  If you needed that for anything now or in the near future, would they have released four models with the old processor this fall?  No.  Roku fanboys GUSH about how fast they can scroll through the menus.  LOL,  Can't you see them scrolling up and down the tiles?  Roku has been streaming 1080p video since 2010.  When you are watching tv, today's Roku is doing nothing different than the Roku HD-XR.  Stream on!

I guess I wasn't clear.. You advised to get the OP Roku instead of the Roku 3 if only using free channels. Why? Are you saying because the 5x processor isn't worth it? The Roku in the OP does not support 1080p. So what I said was wouldn't it be worth the person at least getting a higher up version for the 1080p (not the Roku 3).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014