• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can anyone comment on the receivers in this price range? Newegg has a Yamaha for 280 and Frys has what I think is a Denon on sale for 300... Trying to find the best receiver I can for the money with HDMI, True HD, DTS-HD ect..

Seems like a good deal; I picked up a pioneer elite from BB for $200 something last year. This is a good deal, combine with the 25 off 250 Amex promotion and it's a great deal.

These are all mediocre deals.. a good deal was the YAMAHA RX-V673 for $299 from Amazon last week... I'm still pissed that I didn't get it.

It is best not to buy an Onkyo. They have had many issues with their HDMI board. Right now I have a TX NR 608 refurb with which I cannot use the HDMI connector. Can you imagine? All the sophisticated surround sound technologies are not available through optical audio output - only old fashioned DTS and Dolby Digital.

Even their top level receivers had issues several years ago. It is better to buy Dennon rather than Yamaha. The reason is that Dennon has Audyssey surround sound but Yamaha does not.

I hope that it helps.

Tutul said:   It is best not to buy an Onkyo. They have had many issues with their HDMI board. Right now I have a TX NR 608 refurb with which I cannot use the HDMI connector. Can you imagine? All the sophisticated surround sound technologies are not available through optical audio output - only old fashioned DTS and Dolby Digital.

Even their top level receivers had issues several years ago. It is better to buy Dennon rather than Yamaha. The reason is that Dennon has Audyssey surround sound but Yamaha does not.

I hope that it helps.

It does. I've had a lot of trouble with HDMI devices on TVs too -- getting blown out during thunderstorms.  In any case, I don't understand why the A/V receiver manufacturers don't update their gear -- this market is tired and the goods and product choices are poor, especially at this price point. Moreover, most A/V receivers are energy hogs, My 60-inch LED TV uses 50-60 watts, but the receiver uses 900-1000 watts.  It seems to me that a sound bar may be a better option, at least until the receiver market products improve. 

vadeltachi said:   ... Moreover, most A/V receivers are energy hogs, My 60-inch LED TV uses 50-60 watts, but the receiver uses 900-1000 watts. ...
You're confusing receiver specs with actual draw and I suspect you're also just multiplying your number of channels by the advertised peak wattage per channel - a method prone to massive overestimation.

Most of the time a receiver will be pulling only moderate current and much of that will be for running the digital boards. The wattage pushed through your speakers is usually quite low, save for the bursts of high output or when you are trying to set some kind of decibel record with a low bass sound track.

Get a kill-a-watt and measure the actual usage. I suspect your 900-1000 watts is more like a nominal 100. Class A based receivers would be an entirely different story, but most consumer models are far removed from that.

Also, you've got pretty decent gear if the receiver can truly draw a steady 900-1000 watts. Most of the time, numbers like that are the stuff of pure fantasy. See the back of your receiver near the power cord connection for its real maximum draw - a number likely to range from 200-350 watts.

Edit:  thanks for the drive by down vote there, vadeltachi; no good deeds shall go unpunished

Thanks for the help, good to know about Onkyo. My first receiver was through them, one of the best I have ever bought 11 years and still ticking. Of course no HDMI though.

thanks

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014