• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Best Buy
See Best Buy coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

ASUS TF100TA (13.45kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It seems this is not an apple for Apple comparison. The Dell is 8" and this is 10".

raspino (Dec. 09, 2013 @ 2:36a) |

For someone that stores most of their files online, then the 16gb storage I guess would be fine.  It all depends upon ho... (more)

esteckis (Dec. 09, 2013 @ 6:44a) |

A few people have got WalMart to price match the BestBuy ad and get the 64GB model. YMMV about the sales associate notin... (more)

DirtCheapDad (Dec. 12, 2013 @ 12:36p) |

Staff Summary

I purchased from the MS store. Just remember it is a toy and not a system to do video editing. Now here are some must do's if you purchase it.
1) Charge it for 24 hours first before even connecting to the net (if you connect to the net ms starts downloading updates like crazy, the computer crashes installing the updates and you wind up doing a factory reset.
2) There is an important bios update from Asus. Now don't download the update. Do this first. There is an Asus update program under their downloads called " ASUS Live Update" Download that one and install it. Have it check for updates. That program downloaded all Asus updates (even the bios) and installed them with no problems (for some reason, that program was not on the tablet). Then do the MS updates. As a port lap and tablet, I am enjoying it. Forget watching videos outside in sunlight (yes the screen is dim but I can read articles OK). The 2 biggest drawback: Back part of screen is smooth and will slide out of 1 hand if holding as a tablet (they need to put a grip texture and yes it is a fingerprint magnet. Definitely get a screen protector because it is not gorilla glass.

The bestbuy model is only a 32gb mode My MS store model was 64gb of storagel. Be aware that you will only have like16gb of space on this model for storage or installing extra programs. You can always buy a microcard to get more storage

Regular Price of the 32GB is: $349.99 on sale as listed above for $299
Regular Price of the 64GB is: $399.99 previously sold on sale for $299

esteckis said:   The bestbuy model is only a 32gb mode My MS store model was 64gb of storagel. Be aware that you will only have like16gb of space on this model for storage or installing extra programs. You can always buy a microcard to get more storage
    2 questions.  Does the registry require editing to run programs from the card?  Given your experience with the model, would you pull the trigger on this deal if you didn't already have one?  I'm tempted however the reviews are lukewarm at best.

I have not tried to install programs on the micro card (if you get a card).  I usually use portable programs from portableapps website.  If space is a concern, I would wait for the 64 gb model to go back on sale for 299.

To be honest about the storage, for my simple needs, music and video files sizes, I would get the 64 gb model.  This way you will have the flexibility to add a micro card later on for additional storage.

On my ATIV, I set up the card as a drive with a shortcut.
I can also use the drive in the "libraries" for pictures, music, documents, etc.
I have 64GB, with a 64GB card.

sixt7gt350 said:   On my ATIV, I set up the card as a drive with a shortcut.
I can also use the drive in the "libraries" for pictures, music, documents, etc.
I have 64GB, with a 64GB card.

Are you having any issues with the T100 (ie BIOS,etc)?

But I have bought Dell Venue 8!

i like the t100 but the screen is abit dim.

esteckis said:   The bestbuy model is only a 32gb mode My MS store model was 64gb of storagel. Be aware that you will only have like16gb of space on this model for storage or installing extra programs. You can always buy a microcard to get more storage
it's still $50 less than regular price for 32G.  the 64G is very popular and sold out everywhere.  even in stock some places, it is back to regular price of $399+.   and until the 64G is on sale again at $299, op's deal doesn't warrant a red.

btw, i was lucky enough to pm microsoft $299 to fry's right b4 thanksgiving.  loving it so far and it's something you have to get used to using.

OP, please state 32GB in the title, thanks

esteckis said:   I have not tried to install programs on the micro card (if you get a card).  I usually use portable programs from portableapps website.  If space is a concern, I would wait for the 64 gb model to go back on sale for 299.

To be honest about the storage, for my simple needs, music and video files sizes, I would get the 64 gb model.  This way you will have the flexibility to add a micro card later on for additional storage.

Thank You

http://southpawprints.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/surface-pro-windows-8-and-a-micro-sd-card/

TheRatsWon said:   esteckis said:   The bestbuy model is only a 32gb mode My MS store model was 64gb of storagel. Be aware that you will only have like16gb of space on this model for storage or installing extra programs. You can always buy a microcard to get more storage
    2 questions.  Does the registry require editing to run programs from the card?  Given your experience with the model, would you pull the trigger on this deal if you didn't already have one?  I'm tempted however the reviews are lukewarm at best.

I would highly recommend the T100 especially if you plan to buy a microsd for expansion. Battery life is excellent...performance is quite adequate. Keyboard while tight is not hard to use and turning off the trackpad gestures makes that usable as well. Over all a good buy in my opinion.

I love the T100 for what it is. I have my kicka$$ laptop at home but use this for portability use. Got it from the MS store deal (took 8 days to arrive, but that was OK). Spent 7 hours on it in the library yesterday completing an online course for work. It was perfect. Speed was fine (did other stuff in the background). This is definitely not for processor intensive stuff like video editing, but I don't think people would buy this for that reason.

As a portable unit for Office, Internet, Social Media, it is so perfect and will satisfy your needs. I do recommend the 64GB version. Also tried the HDMI out and it was flawless. Playing movies is extremely smooth. First Atom processor I actually can fall in love with. Buy it if you are not a heavy user or getting as a second portable and mobile computer. You will not regret it - especially at the $300 price point.

Of course I had all the young kids checking it out at the library and always got the WOW factor when I separated it from the keyboard. Like it better than the Surface since it is of course a lot cheaper and can use it on my lap while on the train.

so this is not the 64gb version that was at the $299 price with Microsoft and BJs earlier in the week

is the 32gb version worth it?

x161714 said: so this is not the 64gb version that was at the $299 price with Microsoft and BJs earlier in the week

is the 32gb version worth it?

See previous posts. It's the same as the previous deal except the storage. You can add on with MicroSD and even install programs there with the trick I posted earlier. It depends if you are willing to expand the memory or are happy with 15g free space for your apps vs. 40-45g free on the 64gb model.

Anybody have a price-match + FS source that doesn't charge sales tax in California? That would make this compelling enough for me to buy.

I'm in for one, it also comes with $25 E-gift card to microsoft download store + 1.5%FW I believe.
I could not get in on the 64gb $299 deals, so I have to take what I can get for now. Would hate to wait for the $299 deal again and not have a xmas gift for the wife. I suppose since the tablet won't be opened till christmas I could always buy the 64gb version if it goes on sale again and return the 32gb unit.

In for 1 only if I don't get the cheaper Dell Venue 8 pro tomorrow. OP thanks for sharing.

Great Deal! Thank you OP!

This unit actually has a separate 8GB drive for the recovery partition (source ). I will be using Link Shell Extension to link and store documents. I will be using Acronis True Image 2014 to make a bootable microSD, first, to backup the recovery stuff and then use the microSD for even more storage. Just putting that information out there for anybody interested in this unit who has questions about space tweaking.

320000 mb = 320GB, 32000MB = 32GB.

Thanks for the info. I cannot disagree about the feel of the tablet. Venue 8 pro feels better in the hand than this 8 inch.

bkslim said:   320000 mb = 320GB, 32000MB = 32GB.
  accuracy  320GB=327680MB 

^ Depends on your definition.. Marketing uses 1000 per level, but software uses 1024.

cool

Why stop at an unimpressive 32,768 MB? This thing can hold 34,359,738,368 bytes of data!

Great deal,thank you op!

i tested/used this for a bit...while good it is no match for Dell Venue Pro 8. The Dell is superior in build and screen quality. So if you are in the market for Dell Venue Pro...just buy that instead, and don't just settle for this.

Dell Venue 8 Pro $99 tomorrow link 

thanks

this is a great tablet. I really like it. Plastic cover on top looks little cheap. But rest looks great. with twosmiles giftcards (deal expired) and price match to bestbuy, I could get this tablet for $260 from Office Depot.

peoplebites said:   i tested/used this for a bit...while good it is no match for Dell Venue Pro 8. The Dell is superior in build and screen quality. So if you are in the market for Dell Venue Pro...just buy that instead, and don't just settle for this.
  It seems this is not an apple for Apple comparison. The Dell is 8" and this is 10".

For someone that stores most of their files online, then the 16gb storage I guess would be fine.  It all depends upon how much storage space you need and how many programs you plan on installing. Usually for my programs I use portable programs from portableapps website.  The 3 main reasons are 1) the programs are usaully smaller in size, they do not alter the registry ( I can just delete the program folder with no errors) and since these programs are altered to reduce reading and writing to the flash drive, that also cuts down on writing to the hard drive. They are optimized to mostly run in memory ( I use Firefox portable as my personal browser with all the addons so no one else uses it.) There is a trick to run the programs off the C drive:. The real thing I like is if the program ever corrupts I just delete the program file and put a new one there. No install or uninstall. And if I make some drastic changes in the program, I just copy the program  folder and paste  the folder to my other computers.  The only problem I have seen so far is that Windows defender scans the port progs every time you start one (big delay) I personally shut off windows defender for my needs or you can create an exception inside windows defender.
My favorite free port progs are: Firefox, Foxit reader (pdf files), fsviewer  (picture files), XMplay (music file) and also VLC for video files.  You can also use Libre Office portable there are many programs on the site.

A few people have got WalMart to price match the BestBuy ad and get the 64GB model. YMMV about the sales associate noting the 32gb in the ad and recognizing that against the 64GB model which is the only one WalMart carries. I did it successfully last night after reading on another deal site about a person doing it earlier this week.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014