• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

The Complete National Geographic: 125th Anniversary Edition - National Geographic Store
Disclaimer
Previous sale price was $29.

Short desctiption: Browse every issue of National Geographic magazine from 1888 through 2012ómore than 1,400 issues, 8,000 articles, 200,000 photographs, and hundreds of maps exactly as they appeared in print.

LINK

National Geographic Store
See National Geographic Store coupons that earn 5.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
These jpeg files are scrambled. There are desktop tools to de-scramble the files to normal jpeg files so any image viewe... (more)

twarlabnor (Dec. 09, 2013 @ 10:03a) |

On DVD: $35

HERE

thx (Dec. 10, 2013 @ 8:36a) |

last link is showing 19.99

feal (Dec. 25, 2013 @ 1:01a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In for 1. Thanks OP! Great historical and photographic value!

Wow.....I may have to get this just so I finally have an excuse to recycle all my print issues...I literally must have hundreds of them on my shelf.

FYI-this appears to be the CD version. The DVD version is listed at $49.99.

Has anyone been successful in converting the issues to PDF?

Already own The Complete National Geographic? Purchase and download the latest issues instantly:
Launch The Complete National Geographic from your computer. Click on Preferences and Check for Updates to make sure your computer is running the latest version. Once your computer is up to date, The Complete National Geographic will alert you at launch anytime an update is available.

To download an update, simply register with National Geographic, select your update, and complete your purchase. Each update year is only $9.95. Your new issues will download and install right away.

bellemead said:   FYI-this appears to be the CD version. The DVD version is listed at $49.99.

† The cover picture shows DVD at the bottom left corner. Hope it is true.

garycook said:   
bellemead said:   FYI-this appears to be the CD version. The DVD version is listed at $49.99.

† Bottom left corner says WIN MAC. Don't see DVD anywhere. This is the CD version for your computer, not DVD.†

Cover fragment
Disclaimer
dearmas54 said:   † Bottom left corner says WIN MAC. Don't see DVD anywhere. This is the CD version for your computer, not DVD.†
† If you click on first image on the page and use zoom to lower left corner, you can see clear label "DVD-ROM software". Instructions tab also specify to use disk number 7 not disk one, I presume that first six disks up to 2010 are the same as previous DVD editions but contain outdated version of reader on first disk installer. They likely just added 7th dvd with latest reader and recent years. The CD ROM edition that was published sometime around 2000 had like 40 CD ROMS. The referenced one is the latest 125 years edition, it is available only for preoder on Amazon yet (LINK†).

twarlabnor said:   
dearmas54 said:   † Bottom left corner says WIN MAC. Don't see DVD anywhere. This is the CD version for your computer, not DVD.†
† If you click on first image on the page and use zoom to lower left corner, you can see clear label "DVD-ROM software". Instructions tab also specify to use disk number 7 not disk one, I presume that first six disks up to 2010 are the same as previous DVD editions but contain outdated version of reader on first disk installer. They likely just added 7th dvd with latest reader and recent years. The CD ROM edition that was published sometime around 2000 had like 40 CD ROMS. The referenced one is the latest 125 years edition, it is available only for preoder on Amazon yet (LINK†).

† totally agree

garycook said:   

††
I agree. It's pretty clear from the photo that this is both Window and Mac compatible, and it is in DVD format.

IN 4 ONE

Great Deal!!! Definately want one!

In for 1,† thanks, op!

Considering it only has one more year's worth of issues, I think this is a repackaged version of this:†http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-National-Geographic-Magazine/dp/1426340117/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386545651&sr=8-2&keywords=national+geographic+cd-rom†.

I encourage you to read the low-starred reviews. This may be the best deal in the world to you. Or, you may find that there are some deal-breakers, such as the fact that while it's been indexed, it is not searchable. There is a reason this set goes on sale for $25-$35 every few months.†

00sweeney said:   Considering it only has one more year's worth of issues, I think this is a repackaged version of this:†http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-National-Geographic-Magazine/dp/1426340117/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386545651&sr=8-2&keywords=national+geographic+cd-rom†.

I encourage you to read the lesser-starred reviews. This may be the best deal in the world to you. Or, you may find that there are some deal-breakers, such as the fact that while it's been indexed, it is not searchable. There is a reason this set goes on sale for $25-35 every few months.†

††Every time it goes on sale, that is the deal breaker, it is not searchable.

awesome

I was very excited til I saw this review:

This appears to be just a JPEG scan of every single page from the various issues, advertisements and all, and no actual "text" (the text of the articles are scanned; they didn't bother using OCR to convert it to ASCII text). The collection spans 6 DVDs only because everything is an image; the low image quality certainly doesn't need 6 DVDs and ASCII text also would not. The scanned text is also why the search feature is completely worthless: there's no text to actually search. Instead, you're simply searching a tiny subset of terms that someone decided were relevant to each article. If you were expecting to be able to do a full-text search over 120 years, as I was, you will be sorely disappointed. With this volume of articles and data, a comprehensive, full-text search feature is an absolute must. That this feature is missing makes this product totally unusable.

Having everything be a low-quality JPEG image also means that you cannot copy and paste any quotes if you are using an article as a reference in a paper.

ElGuache said:   
00sweeney said:   Considering it only has one more year's worth of issues, I think this is a repackaged version of this:†http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-National-Geographic-Magazine/dp/1426340117/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386545651&sr=8-2&keywords=national+geographic+cd-rom†.

I encourage you to read the lesser-starred reviews. This may be the best deal in the world to you. Or, you may find that there are some deal-breakers, such as the fact that while it's been indexed, it is not searchable. There is a reason this set goes on sale for $25-35 every few months.†

††Every time it goes on sale, that is the deal breaker, it is not searchable.

† Eventually it will get down to $10 or $15, at which point I know I'll break down and grab one.†

o The Complete National Geographic, from 1888 through 2012, it's crazy.

Price is back to $49.95 next morning.

dumb question, someone said they are jpeg? could an issue possibly be uploaded to Evernote and be indexed that way?

cbkcc100 said:   dumb question, someone said they are jpeg? could an issue possibly be uploaded to Evernote and be indexed that way?
† These jpeg files are scrambled. There are desktop tools to de-scramble the files to normal jpeg files so any image viewer can be used to view them, for example this. For ipad there is also a dedicated payed app for viewing these files.

The Complete National Geographic on 7 DVD-ROMs - National Geographic Store
Disclaimer
On DVD: $35

HERE

last link is showing 19.99†

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014