Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Atlas Homewares 4 Bike Folding Towable Rack-1805005 at The Home Depot
Disclaimer
I just picked up one of these racks from my local Home Depot. Haven't set it up yet, but the quality seems very good in that it is a true 2" receiver rack (which avoids the plastic 1-1/4" to 2" adapter that comes with most cheap racks). It is also setup to mount a ball as it can be used to tow 3,500 lbs. 

The bike attachment and support is a bit narrow, but I am sure I can add some additional supports if needed, but the basic support is super-heavy duty -- 44lbs of steel for $50..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Atlas-Homewares-4-Bike-Folding-Towable-Rack-1805005/204333345#.UqcXwdLbPjY 

My little contribution for all the great deals you guys have provided.

Merry Christmas.

Mike

Member Summary

rack
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Piked one up today in store for 25 dollars, last one, great deal Thanks!!!

parlain44 (Jan. 16, 2014 @ 3:02p) |

Question for those of you who purchased @ $50 in December and got an adjustment after it went down to $35, do you think ... (more)

Billygoats (Jan. 18, 2014 @ 11:58a) |

When I got my $35 -> $25 credit, the associate said they do a price adjustment if purchased < 1 week ago.  Otherwise, th... (more)

manomight (Jan. 18, 2014 @ 4:49p) |

Now $35 online with free shipping!

The Buyers Products Bike Rack combines multi-function into one easy to use rack. The unique design allows you to carry up to 4 bikes while still towing your trailer or small camper. Each bike rests in its own rubber coated channel and is secured with high quality rubber straps. When not in use, this rack folds down for better clearance and even has a fold away feature so you can access your tailgate. Integrated into the main support is a Hitch Ball access point (ball not included), so you can now take your bikes with you to the lake, camping or anywhere! Easy to use, the 2 in. Square steel tube fits into your existing 2 in. receive tube, and powder coated for years of service.

- Carries up to 4 bikes
- Designed for use with 2 in. receiver tubes
- Powder coated steel frame and support arms
- Integral ball mounting option (1 in. diameter)
- Fold flat feature for greater rear clearance
- MFG Model # : 1805005
- MFG Part # : 1805005

Specs
Assembled Depth (in.) 39 in
Assembled Height (in.) 43 in
Assembled Width (in.) 14.6 in
Assembly Required Yes
Bike Storage Type Hanger
Manufacturer Warranty 1-year limited parts / no labor
Outdoor Living Product Type Bike/Trike/Car
Product Height (in.) 3.75 in
Product Length (in.) 36 in
Product Weight (lb.) 44 lb
Product Width (in.) 9 in
Returnable 90-Day
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Full price ($79.00) at my store

$50 at my local Pleasanton, CA store. Looks like a decent enough rack, although 44lbs is heavy for a rack like this.

Is this comparable/better than Allen Sports quality?

need a single bike rack... Cheapest (safe!) option out there?

I have an Allen. This is just from looking at the picture, but the Allen looks a bit better in overall design. This one may be sturdy enough as is. The Allen has 2 horizontals, this one has only one. For some smaller bikes, you may have trouble fitting it on this one, as the space in the center with the shock/spring may be limited. Also wonder about rocking and the way the straps are. I'd say for driving to a local park or something this would do fine and save a bit of cash, for driving on the highway at higher speeds, I'm not sure.  Just saw the above post saying it is 44lbs, that is a good sign.  Our Allen is HEAVY.  I'd think that was good for stability and strength.

Also, getting one of these hitch bike holders was the best idea for transporting bikes! It is soooo nice to use instead of trying to load the bike in the back of the van/truck or trying to strap one of those trunk bike racks on. After hooked up, the bikes don't budge. Really a nice addition.

It's not as narrow as the pic at Home Depot would lead you to believe.
You can see better pics at this site.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/outdoor-grounds-maintenance/pa...

wow. this is really cheap. i was looking to get one so i can go out biking in the weekend. tfs

VegasVegan said:   It's not as narrow as the pic at Home Depot would lead you to believe.
You can see better pics at this site.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/outdoor-grounds-maintenance/pa...

It's 9" wide - that should hold bikes pretty snag.
I've used Allen in the past - and they are heavy and solid. Love their products.

But I think for $50 I will give this a shot.
Thanks OP

vickh said:   need a single bike rack... Cheapest (safe!) option out there?

I picked up a 2 bike rack at Harbor Freight that worked just fine for my occasional need.  After a 25% off coupon that you can find pretty much anywhere, comes out to $30

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-bike-hitch-mount-bike-rack-98019.html 

Does the HD one need a hitch+

Reese Type Hitch
Disclaimer
optical said:   Does the HD one need a hitch+

Yes you need a Reese type hitch receiver (2")

FYI this is showing $35 with free shipping!!!!!!! scored one.

Zuke76 said:   FYI this is showing $35 with free shipping!!!!!!! scored one.
  Thanks! Logged in and bought one immediately too. I tried a couple Home Depots, hoping to use a 25% off Harbor Freight coupon to get it for $37.50 originally, but nobody could find any in stock no matter what the online stock checker said. Hopefully they actually deliver on the online order, and $35 with FS is even better than what I was trying to get before.

Zuke76 said:   FYI this is showing $35 with free shipping!!!!!!! scored one.
  I got it for the same price, in for one, thanks OP.

I picked one up for $35. Plenty available in NW metro Atlanta.
Hopefully it will clear the spare on my Rav 4.

AnandBanned said:   I picked one up for $35. Plenty available in NW metro Atlanta.

Most hitch racks won't, but depends on how the Rav4 setup is exactly. If not, you may have to spring for a hitch extension, which may cost you almost as much as this rack but you'll still be ahead since this is a great price and you would probably need the extension with any hitch-mounted bike rack anyway.

For anyone who bought this one, is there a label on it stating how much weight it can support.  I purchased a different one a couple months ago and noticed a couple weeks ago it only supports 125 pounds max.  4 bikes can easily weight more that.  Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the actual weight? For reference, the Allen Sports 4-bike rack lists as 22lbs shipping weight, and a Yakima double-down 4-bike rack is 28 pounds. If this thing is really 44 lbs, that's pretty extreme.

hitch
Disclaimer
AnandBanned said:   I picked one up for $35. Plenty available in NW metro Atlanta.

According to the installation instructions you can put the bottom plates on backwards and gain a few inches clearance. Not sure if it will be enough, but worth a try.

egorss78 said:   For anyone who bought this one, is there a label on it stating how much weight it can support.  I purchased a different one a couple months ago and noticed a couple weeks ago it only supports 125 pounds max.  4 bikes can easily weight more that.  Thanks!
  4 bikes over 125 pounds? FWIW I have 6 bikes in my garage, an older Schwinn that is all steel and a 23" frame, an older Raleigh all steel, an aluminum Fuji that is also 23", and three assorted others. Not a one of them over 30 pounds. So any 4 of them would be 120 pounds or less. Maybe 4 old big cruisers would weigh more?

DirtCheapDad said:   Can anyone comment on the actual weight? For reference, the Allen Sports 4-bike rack lists as 22lbs shipping weight, and a Yakima double-down 4-bike rack is 28 pounds. If this thing is really 44 lbs, that's pretty extreme.
  Extreme is what I am looking for. I have an electric bike with heavy lead acid batteries. This sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks OP.

the bike rack is about 40 lbs. definitely not 22lbs as I just picked it up today. the HD wouldn't take Harbor Freight, saying that it was a wholesaler/reseller (I guess vs retailer).

Would this work with Subaru Forester?

speedy777 said:   Would this work with Subaru Forester?
  Do you have a 2" hitch? 

Picked one up today for $35, thanks op!

4Rugal said:   the bike rack is about 40 lbs. definitely not 22lbs as I just picked it up today. the HD wouldn't take Harbor Freight, saying that it was a wholesaler/reseller (I guess vs retailer).

As long as your have a Harbor Freight nearby, they should accept it as a competitor coupon. I've never had a problem at the two HDs in my area...I think I use a coupon on every visit, even if I'm buying something for $5, as I get 20% or 25% coupons almost weekly and always keep a few in my wallet.

DirtCheapDad said:   
4Rugal said:   the bike rack is about 40 lbs. definitely not 22lbs as I just picked it up today. the HD wouldn't take Harbor Freight, saying that it was a wholesaler/reseller (I guess vs retailer).
  As long as your have a Harbor Freight nearby, they should accept it as a competitor coupon. I've never had a problem at the two HDs in my area...I think I use a coupon on every visit, even if I'm buying something for $5, as I get 20% or 25% coupons almost weekly and always keep a few in my wallet.

Yep, it's nearby but the MOD shot it down.  I had kept a few HF coupons around (no expiration dates too!) for that purpose but it's a no go for this HD (or at least the MOD).

$15 less! $35!! Awesome!

In for 1 @ $35 with free shipping. Great find.

How do you mount a women's bike like a Schwinn Women's Wayfarer? There's no crossbar, so I don't see how to secure it. I'm a dad with a wife and two daughters, trying to get my health back, so this would be a great find if it works with women's bikes.

That sold out quickly. It was available for shipping when I put it in my cart, during checkout it was gone, but there were 3 available at my local store so I changed to store pickup, by the time I made that change it was only available 15 miles away, so I switched but by the time I tried checkout again that was gone too. Everyone must be checking in at FW about now...

Toddler said:   How do you mount a women's bike like a Schwinn Women's Wayfarer? There's no crossbar, so I don't see how to secure it. I'm a dad with a wife and two daughters, trying to get my health back, so this would be a great find if it works with women's bikes.

They make removable adapters, but in this case it cost as much as the rack.....

bike rack
Disclaimer
Toddler said:   How do you mount a women's bike like a Schwinn Women's Wayfarer? There's no crossbar, so I don't see how to secure it. I'm a dad with a wife and two daughters, trying to get my health back, so this would be a great find if it works with women's bikes.

For that style of bike, you'll probably want a rack that secures the bike at the wheels. I've attached a picture as an example.

If you are starting cycling, check to see if you have a local cycling club. They aren't just for the road racer-types. Club rides are a lot of fun, plus clubs often work with local bike shops to get discounts for members.

In for 1! thanks, just looking for a new rack for the wife. Oops Freudian slip.

There is a removable adapter on Amazon that people were buying with the Allen sports rack. I think it was running about $15 with free prime shipping. As far as buying a wheel support rack instead of a top tube supporting rack like this, a 2 bike version will run $100 used, $150-250 new, and 4-bike are $250+. Unnecessary unless you're transporting expensive bikes (for starters, $500+).

Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000ELSSZE/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115

Found stock in several San Diego area stores.
In for one!

Thanks, guys. I went ahead and got in on this. The advice was much appreciated.

Got the last one at my local HD.

Skipping 39 Messages...
When I got my $35 -> $25 credit, the associate said they do a price adjustment if purchased < 1 week ago.  Otherwise, they do a return and rebuy at the new price.  I imagine it should work.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014