2" Hitch 4-bike rack Home Depot $35

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Just got the last one at a local store(SLC). They would not honor the HF 25% coupon nor any other HF coupons.

poorfatkid said:   
egorss78 said:   For anyone who bought this one, is there a label on it stating how much weight it can support.  I purchased a different one a couple months ago and noticed a couple weeks ago it only supports 125 pounds max.  4 bikes can easily weight more that.  Thanks!
  4 bikes over 125 pounds? FWIW I have 6 bikes in my garage, an older Schwinn that is all steel and a 23" frame, an older Raleigh all steel, an aluminum Fuji that is also 23", and three assorted others. Not a one of them over 30 pounds. So any 4 of them would be 120 pounds or less. Maybe 4 old big cruisers would weigh more?

Yeah, I was surprised as well, have all mountain bikes and most of them are basic cheap ones and they all run over 40 pounds each(all steel).  So still wondering if anyone that has one could tell me if the sticker on it lists a max weight.  Thanks.

in for one. thanks for posting.

In for one. Great price.

Got the last one at my local store

In for one. Great deal. Even when adding extension bars for girls bikes and straps to secure wheels (which would have been needed anyway), still only up to the cost of a basic alternative (Allen or similar). Thanks for spotting this one OP. And yes, this is all of 44lbs - when carrying back to car it felt that way anyway.

Bought this when it was on sale for 50.00. I got a price adjustment thanks to this post.

thanks OP!

Can you attach these to a car without those mounting poles found under rear trunks?

TheKuja said:   Can you attach these to a car without those mounting poles found under rear trunks?
  Not sure exactly what you're asking, but you NEED a hitch installed to the car to use this, which generally is mounted underneath the rear end and protrudes in the center just under the bumper. Some SUVs have a "built-in" hitch format, but most other vehicles do not.

That's what I meant, a "hitch". Thanks! Guess I'll be returning the one I bought...

Still showing $35

Great deal.  Purchased several.  The included hitch pin (1/2") includes a bolt and nut plate to screw the bike rack to your receiver.  The nut plate looks like a mild pain to have to line up the holes.  The instructions say the hair pin can be replaced with a 1/2" lock Buyers part # BLHP125L.  That part doesn't seem to be available anywhere (only BLHP125, one review on W@lM@rt says the lock can still be used, however).  Instead of this, I am purchasing an extended length 5/8" locking pin instead because I prefer the larger diameter for this and all the other things that I will theoretically plug into my receiver (Master Lock 1469DAT ).

Having welded and used my own aluminum bike rack a number of years ago, some way to reduce rattle / play is key driving down the road.  The anti-rattle locking pins on the market are overpriced ($25+) and look to be a pain to install every time you use the rack.  The anti-rattle add-on devices also look overpriced.  There is one (this one ) that looks exactly like a strut beam U-bolt device, which is conveniently $3.97 at L0we's (and easy to use every time).  I'm going to L0we's next week to have a look and make sure it will fit around the 2" tubing.

Lowes link to strut beam clamp U-bolt (item # 45684)

Thought I would share my "research."  Enlighten me if you have any other thoughts/ideas.

manomight said:   Great deal.  Purchased several.  The included hitch pin (1/2") includes a bolt and nut plate to screw the bike rack to your receiver.  The nut plate looks like a mild pain to have to line up the holes.  The instructions say the hair pin can be replaced with a 1/2" lock Buyers part # BLHP125L.  That part doesn't seem to be available anywhere (only BLHP125, one review on W@lM@rt says the lock can still be used, however).  Instead of this, I am purchasing an extended length 5/8" locking pin instead because I prefer the larger diameter for this and all the other things that I will theoretically plug into my receiver (Master Lock 1469DAT ).

Having welded and used my own aluminum bike rack a number of years ago, some way to reduce rattle / play is key driving down the road.  The anti-rattle locking pins on the market are overpriced ($25+) and look to be a pain to install every time you use the rack.  The anti-rattle add-on devices also look overpriced.  There is one (this one ) that looks exactly like a strut beam U-bolt device, which is conveniently $3.97 at L0we's (and easy to use every time).  I'm going to L0we's next week to have a look and make sure it will fit around the 2" tubing.

Thought I would share my "research."  Enlighten me if you have any other thoughts/ideas.

Home Depot sells the exact same part. The only problem is that the the outside dimension of that "U" is two inches, it's not the inside dimension. Please go double check on this for yourself, then, share the heartbreak with me. The same part with that two inch inside dimension sells for about $25 on the big "A".

installed a hitch and tried out the rack on my car. it pushes against the bumper and will scratch the paint over time. Oh what to do....

4Rugal said:   installed a hitch and tried out the rack on my car. it pushes against the bumper and will scratch the paint over time. Oh what to do....
  Buy a hitch extension. Or return this rack and look for one that extends a little further out. Not every hitch-rack will work on every car stock...and if this one is pushing against your bumper, chances are many other hitch racks will too and you'll still need the extension.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-to-2-TRAILER-HITCH-RECEIVER-8-EXTENSION-ADAPTOR-CLASS-3-4-HE-3-3-/310830438768?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485ef01970&vxp=mtr#ht_4334wt_1104

Instructions show you can reverse the arm to increase clearance from the vehicle if needed.

Toddler said:   Instructions show you can reverse the arm to increase clearance from the vehicle if needed.
  There is a pic here. All you have to do is reverse the gusset plates.

Everbilt 3/8 in. x 3-7/16 in. 4-9/16 in. Coarse Zinc-Plated 334 U-Bolt-09556 at The Home Depot
Disclaimer

Superstrut 4-Hole Flat Straight Bracket-ZX207-10 at The Home Depot
Disclaimer
The L0wes and HD strut beam clamps are identical.  Both too small to fit 2 inch receivers (would work great for 1 1/4 inch, though).

High priced commercial alternative 1 ($23.71): Roadmaster 061 quiet hitch
High priced commercial alternative 2 ($23.95): StowAway hitch tightener 

I put together a few parts to do the job for less.

Heavy duty straight bracket - $1.84 (HD item #236504 -- located in electrical)
U-bolt $2.91 (HD item #118128 -- located in hardware)
Two 3/8" lock washers ($0.20 each)
Total: $5.15 + tax

If you want to for added strength, you could buy the strut beam clamp (HD item #540609 -- located in electrical) and incorporate with the above parts too.  One hole of the strut beam clamp plate would use the U-bolt, the other would be bolted to the straight bracket.

OOS online. But found the last one in the local HD. Thanks!

VegasVegan said:   
Toddler said:   Instructions show you can reverse the arm to increase clearance from the vehicle if needed.
  There is a pic here. All you have to do is reverse the gusset plates.

Ok, will try that. Thanks all for the suggestions.  

VegasVegan said:   
AnandBanned said:   I picked one up for $35. Plenty available in NW metro Atlanta.
Hopefully it will clear the spare on my Rav 4.

According to the installation instructions you can put the bottom plates on backwards and gain a few inches clearance. Not sure if it will be enough, but worth a try.

Great deal

Back in stock for free shipping!

FYI, there is no support. I emailed them days ago and haven't heard a thing.  I called them and it says the voice mailbox has not be set up.  I hope it's a descent product, else we are screwed.

manomight said:   Great deal.  Purchased several.  The included hitch pin (1/2") includes a bolt and nut plate to screw the bike rack to your receiver.  The nut plate looks like a mild pain to have to line up the holes.  The instructions say the hair pin can be replaced with a 1/2" lock Buyers part # BLHP125L.  That part doesn't seem to be available anywhere (only BLHP125, one review on W@lM@rt says the lock can still be used, however).  Instead of this, I am purchasing an extended length 5/8" locking pin instead because I prefer the larger diameter for this and all the other things that I will theoretically plug into my receiver (Master Lock 1469DAT ).

I noticed the same thing with nut plate.  I had some velcro tape.  I put a piece of it on the top and bottom of the nut plate.  Now it is a tight fit.  

bought one online. thanks op

drew2money said:   I hope it's a descent product, else we are screwed.

Yeah, if you don't screw it in right, you might cause it's descent.

I bought one on Dec 10 for $50. I went online and chatted with a representitive and they gave me the $15 back on the spot! No work for me!

No longer available online again.

debbierockss said:   I bought one on Dec 10 for $50. I went online and chatted with a representitive and they gave me the $15 back on the spot! No work for me!
  Was successful at pricematch with online rep as well. Thank you!

Got one in-store using the 25% off HF coupon.

Back in stock for online, free shipping.

Tranft said:   Back in stock for online, free shipping.
Got one- thanks!

Anyone been able to get a price adjustment from the $35 price to the new $25 price?

Edit: I'll answer my own question.  Yes!  It looks like it may be $35 still in certain zip codes.  But using my store online showed $25 and it was in store also (even though no inventory in store).  The CSR returned the items and rebought them at a lower price (I bought several racks).

It wasn't available for shipping when I checked but it was $25+tax available for local pickup at my Home Depot. I ordered one online and I am picking it up this weekend.

Not available anymore on line

This is $25 now shipped free.

Piked one up today in store for 25 dollars, last one, great deal Thanks!!!

Question for those of you who purchased @ $50 in December and got an adjustment after it went down to $35, do you think they will do another adjustment now that it is down to $25 ???

When I got my $35 -> $25 credit, the associate said they do a price adjustment if purchased < 1 week ago.  Otherwise, they do a return and rebuy at the new price.  I imagine it should work.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014