• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Groupon
See Groupon discounts that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Was anyone successful in downgrading the service? FP requires you to call in to downgrade, yet they always put you on h... (more)

shallot (Jan. 14, 2014 @ 12:35p) |

wtfu (Jan. 14, 2014 @ 7:46p) |

Hey guys. just called Freedompop. They extended the 2Gb trial for free. I will be charged on the 31st and then issue a r... (more)

wtfu (Jan. 23, 2014 @ 2:47p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This is a GREAT price! I've have been using Freedompop for almost a year. Love the service. I use the free plan on my ipad that is not connected to cell phone provider when we are on road trips or for my Chromebook/ipad at places without wifi. Such a handy little thing. Just purchased the Photon for my daughter who cannot afford internet yet since she has her own apartment now. She loves it! Paid more for hers, so this is a great price.

rated:
FYI, this does not have 3g fallback. So, this will work fine if you are rather stationary and have a good WiMax signal. However, for use in a car or in an area without good WiMax, you will have a miserable time with this. For a 3g/4g device from FreedomSpot, you may wish to consider the OverDrive Pro.

rated:
SlightGenius40 said:   This is a GREAT price! ...
  Concur.  I got in on the OverDrive (not Pro) deal for $19.99 a while back but mine shipped with non-upgradable firmware so my OD will not fallback to 3G either.  I do a lot of work on the road, so when I need my OD and there's 4G available, I LOVE the capability.  I use mine for 100% thin-client access over SSL-VPN so the low-latency of the connection is pretty impressive (and I think you'd be VERY impressed at how efficiently MS-RDP utilizes bandwidth).  I've been holding back on RMA'ing my OD (to get one that can fallback to 3G for $3.99/mo) so I went ahead and bought this photon as a 4G substitute while I wait for my OD replacement and then I'll hand the photon off to my wife.

Anyways, some details that not everyone necessarily cares about, but wanted to plug Freedompop because for the price of their service, you cannot beat their customer support nor their product/service.  I've had FP for about a year now and my only gripe has been that they could not offer me an advanced replacement for the OD which is why I've been waiting for another <$20 deal on another device so I didn't have to be another couple of weeks without any WiMAX service at all.

Good luck to all that get in on this and thanks OP!

rated:
Would someone please explain the "free plan" on this, and details of the "OverDrive Pro" in plain English? Thanks!

And no, Google is NOT my friend. It likes to confuse me.

rated:
ocean935 said:   Would someone please explain the "free plan" on this, and details of the "OverDrive Pro" in plain English? 
  ​FP Free-plan:  All FP plans require utilization of a FP device.  FP offers several devices including:
     -  Rocket:  device sleeve for Apple Devices (don't know the caveats here), 
     -  Photon (which allows 4G WiMAX service only),
     -  OverDrive:  which allows 3G/4G but has been reported to take a little longer to turn-on/boot), 
     -  OverDrive Pro: (which supports an additional wireless user I think and boots a little faster) and a USB stick that also does not allow 3G fallback. 
     -  There have been times where other devices have been made available including:
           -  MiFi Device (4802 I think)
           -  4G LTE device (don't have details on this either, but others can chime in and I'll update my list)

Most if not all of FP's devices have always been refurbished devices, but the testimonies I have seen over the past 1.5 - 2 years have almost all if not all been fair to excellent.  

The free-plan allows 500Mb of bandwidth per month.  With FP friends, (you'll need to do your own research on this one) it's possible to increase your free bandwidth to 1Gb per month.  Overages are 2-cents per Mb, so basically:  will add-up fast so if you want to keep it free, you need to monitor your own usage.  I've been using the free-plan for about a year, never had to pay any fees after my initial $19.99 for the device and I've not had any issues with spam on my linked GMail account.  

All devices are supposed to be refundable in terms of cost.  So, if you invest $19.99 in a deal such as this, if you pay to ship the device back after calling to cancel your service, I believe you are supposed to be refunded that $19.99.  I believe that this "deposit" is refundable for *one-year" from the date of purchase.  

There are several ways FP allows you to "spend" on options they have available (like a rollover plan, 3G fallback will cost you @ $3.99/mo, an increased speed plan I believe, and several others).  

Keep in mind (and this is solely my opinion):  the FP plans are *not* for those that intend to spend little or no money but are not disciplined in their usage/practices.  Freedompop is a FREE service with lots of ways to make it not-free.  So if you are good at coloring within the lines on a regular basis and have realistic expectations, then their service could be very valuable to you.

What I'm trying to say is:  I highly recommend that you do not sign up for Freedompop without doing your own due-diligence as you will provide them with a credit-card number authorized to bill you for any overages you incur. 

One great idea I've seen people discuss is to use a credit card that offers virtual account numbers.  I'm only familiar with Citi's offering, but I believe you can generate one-time usable credit-card account numbers and specify the vendor allowed to charge to that virtual-account number.  Nice thing about this type of virtual-account it that for those types of transactions that you are skeptical, the worst the vendor can do is overcharge you once.  Virtual account numbers might be a great method for trying out a service such as this, though I used a physical credit-card account number and have not had any billing issues to date.

You'll find lots of folks out there that have nothing but positive things to say about Freedompop though you'll also find many that have very scathing things to say about their service but what substance I've found, it appears to me that all of the testimonies that I've read about how horrible or misleading FP can be, appears to be from individuals whom might not have done their homework or felt they were entitled to more than Freedompop deems reasonable for their free-service offering.  

In short:  I think FP kicks butt.  I'm about to start spending $3.99/mo for the 3G fallback once I get my OD replaced.  Good luck.

More info at Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreedomPop 

rated:
justanothergeek said:   
ocean935 said:   Would someone please explain the "free plan" on this, and details of the "OverDrive Pro" in plain English? 
  ​FP Free-plan:  All FP plans require utilization of a FP device.  FP offers several devices including an Apple device sleeve (called the rocket I think), the Photon (which allows 4G WiMAX service only), OD which allows 3G/4G but has been reported to take a little longer to turn-on/boot) the OD-Pro (which supports an additional wireless user I think and boots a little faster) and a USB stick that also does not allow 3G fallback.  Most if not all of FP's devices have always been refurbished devices, but the testimonies I have seen over the past 1.5-2years have almost all if not all been fair to excellent.  

The free-plan allows 500Mb of bandwidth per month.  With FP friends, (you'll need to do your own research on this one) it's possible to increase your free bandwidth to 1Gb per month.  Overages are 2-cents per Mb, so basically:  will add-up fast so if you want to keep it free, you need to monitor your own usage.  I've been using the free-plan for about a year, never had to pay any fees after my initial $19.99 for the device and I've not had any issues with spam on my linked GMail account.  

All devices are supposed to be refundable in terms of cost.  So, if you invest $19.99 in a deal such as this, if you pay to ship the device back after calling to cancel your service, I believe you are supposed to be refunded that $19.99.  I believe that this "deposit" is refundable for *one-year" from the date of purchase.  

There are several ways FP allows you to "spend" on options they have available (like a rollover plan, 3G fallback will cost you @ $3.99/mo, an increased speed plan I believe, and several others).  

Keep in mind (and this is solely my opinion):  the FP plans are *not* for those that intend to spend little or no money but are not disciplined in their usage/practices.  Freedompop is a FREE service with lots of ways to make it not-free.  So if you are good at coloring within the lines on a regular basis and have realistic expectations, then their service could be very valuable to you.

What I'm trying to say is:  I highly recommend that you do not sign up for Freedompop without doing your own due-diligence as you will provide them with a credit-card number authorized to bill you for any overages you incur. 

One great idea I've seen people discuss is to use a credit card that offers virtual account numbers.  I'm only familiar with Citi's offering, but I believe you can generate one-time usable credit-card account numbers and specify the vendor allowed to charge to that virtual-account number.  Nice thing about this type of virtual-account it that for those types of transactions that you are skeptical, the worst the vendor can do is overcharge you once.  Virtual account numbers might be a great method for trying out a service such as this, though I used a physical credit-card account number and have not had any billing issues to date.

You'll find lots of folks out there that have nothing but positive things to say about Freedompop though you'll also find many that have very scathing things to say about their service but what substance I've found, it appears to me that all of the testimonies that I've read about how horrible or misleading FP can be, appears to be from individuals whom might not have done their homework or felt they were entitled to more than Freedompop deems reasonable for their free-service offering.  

In short:  I think FP kicks butt.  I'm about to start spending $3.99/mo for the 3G fallback once I get my OD replaced.  Good luck.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!  I went to the Wiki site, which helped a lot as well!

A few quick questions, if you do not mind.  Based on what you wrote and what I read, you purchase this device and get 500MB free/month.  There is a charge for non use (.99) and charge for overage.  But no other charges "if you stay within those lines".

Is that it in a nutshell?  If so, this seems like a great deal to connect your iPad/tablet or laptop while you are traveling for getting connected to just search email, Facebook, etc.

Correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

rated:
Pretty good explanation. ALL of it was understood, lol. Thanks!
I do have a couple of questions:
- Is it possible to "stop" it from going over without "permission"?
- Can I use TWO (or more) 500Mb devices?

rated:
justanothergeek said:   
  ​...

You can turn off the overage feature on your account so your service will just stop when you hit the limit. That's good for both disciplined FWers and those that are not so disciplined.

rated:
And can I own more than one? Is there benefit to that?

rated:
ocean935 said:   Pretty good explanation. ALL of it was understood, lol. Thanks!
I do have a couple of questions:
- Is it possible to "stop" it from going over without "permission"?
- Can I use TWO (or more) 500Mb devices?

(1)    I believe you can set your account to stop when you get within 100Mb of your usage.  Clearly there's a disadvantage here in that the "stop point" is 100Mb from your allotment but I think your usage is reported in rather large time increments (meaning not "up-to-the-second" therefore they chose a pretty large buffer).
(2)  You can use multiple devices.  As I stated, my only gripe is that they refused to offer me any advanced-replacement RMA option for my overdrive device and I didn't want to be without it.  Their recommended work-around was to simply purchase another device so that I wasn't without one for the period of time it took to ship my old OD off and receive a replacement capable of firmaware upgrade / 3G fallback so I waited until another $19.99 offer came up and that is today!  

rated:
wiseguy1100 said:   ...Is that it in a nutshell?  If so, this seems like a great deal to connect your iPad/tablet or laptop while you are traveling for getting connected to just search email, Facebook, etc...  Correct? ...
  I think so Wiseguy.  Don't hold me to it because I'm just another Freedompop and FatWallet user so I'm sure I've missed some things, but I think you've got the gist of it.  I still highly recommend you do a little bit more reading of the at least some of the "worst-case" testimonies so hopefully you can snuff out any potential gotchas before you find them on your own bill, but like I said, I highly recommend FP which is why I'm taking the time to plug them.  

In my elder years (I'm 35 so not quite using a walker yet, but not in college any more so... ) I'm trying to give back a little bit more for the things I get lots of value out of and pay nothing or little for so I encourage you all to do the same!!!!

Happy Holidays everyone!

rated:
dynamic ip or static?

rated:
I41

I use my phone for tethering most of the time so I'll leave this Hotspot in the car for emergencies and to stream music. (That should not use too much data)

Also, I'm considering removing the battery and leaving it plugged in to a DC outlet.

Therefore the hotspot would only turn on along with the car.

rated:
Remember there is a 99c charge for non-use.

rated:
ocean935 said:   Remember there is a 99c charge for non-use.

AFAIK, they are not charging the 99c any more:

1. [L=[L=http://blog.freedompop.com said: “Active]http://blog.freedompop.com]“A...]http://blog.freedompop.com]“Active]http://blog.freedompop.com]“Active Status[/L] Fee”-We used to pass on a .99 cent network fee to keep an inactive account active on our partner network each month. The reason we did that is because we actually get charged by our partners, so we were hoping our users could just turn on their device once per month so we’d all avoid that nominal cost. However, it has caused more confusion than it’s worth so we have suspended this charge going forward.

I don't think anybody is being billed that amount any more, but YMMV, because this is not the most trustworthy company by a stretch. For example, their T&C still include the $.99:
[S=https://www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm said: Last]https://www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm]Last[/S] updated on 11/1/13: If you choose the free Broadband Service and use less than 5mb in any given month, we'll charge you a $.99 Active Status fee to keep your account active.

rated:
Good deal, OP. Freedompop sold the Photon for $30 last month. 1SaleADay sold it for $25 last week. And now this. Makes me wonder if they're getting close to shutting down their WiMAX (the Photon supports only 4G WiMAX which is planned to be shut down, timetable unknown).

rated:
"4G High-Speed Wireless Internet Access one month trial"

What happen after the trial?

rated:
Shopdiscover 5%CB + 5% online shopping

rated:
Wimax is to be retired in 2015 currently. So that might have something to do with all the deals we have been seeing lately.

rated:
What network is the 3G fallback on, on the Overdrive PRO?

rated:
I got charged the $0.99 less than a month ago,
but consider it a very fair charge.
That is cheap!  
Anybody knowing a better deal please speak up.

I am a very pleased user since about one year.

On the other extreme, to not go over 500 MB
I find it quite simple: No movie watching!

rated:
jonesjeremya said:   What network is the 3G fallback on, on the Overdrive PRO?
  Both Wimax and 3g fallback are on Sprint's network

rated:
xarmian said:   
jonesjeremya said:   What network is the 3G fallback on, on the Overdrive PRO?
  Both Wimax and 3g fallback are on Sprint's network

Yes, it is Sprint.  Reception can be iffy, 
e.g. sometimes I get no data at all at street level in Seattle, 
even though it shows a strong 4G signal.

rated:
Talki said:   
I got charged the $0.99 less than a month ago,
but consider it a very fair charge.
That is cheap!  
Anybody knowing a better deal please speak up.

I am a very pleased user since about one year.

On the other extreme, to not go over 500 MB
I find or quite simple: No movie watching!

Wow! You get red because some people are too dense to understand your post if you don't quote. Directly before my post was the following one, so there was no need to quote:
xpolarx said:   I41

I use my phone for tethering most of the time so I'll leave this Hotspot in the car for emergencies and to stream music. (That should not use too much data)

Also, I'm considering removing the battery and leaving it plugged in to a DC outlet.

Therefore the hotspot would only turn on along with the car.

rated:
BEWARE!! They are switching to LTE soon, so the current devices will no longer work. You will have to buy a new device.

rated:
brownfam3 said:   BEWARE!! They are switching to LTE soon, so the current devices will no longer work. You will have to buy a new device.
 Not even with a firmware update?

rated:
I will give it a try. It said free returns. No fee when cancel. Hopefully they will keep their words.

rated:
is this the same as the Ispot? I was hoping to find someone to take my TWO ispot with $25/month no-contract unlimited plan ($50 for two hacked ispot removed MAC address filter). Wimax only of course.

I am looking for something LTE , $50/month or less (1 device only needed) unlimited - like my IPAD LTE unthrottled/Unlimited plan $30.

Would this fit the bill if they are going to LTE soon, do you get unlimited for that price? Just need to tether when the internet goes out, or go portable now and then. The 25$/month ispot was pretty good but the hardware is getting kind of old you know!

rated:
Do we still need to a device from freedom pop.com?

rated:
Looks like we have to go to Freedompop.com/activate to activate this device

rated:
In for 1 - thx!!!

rated:
wtfu said:   
brownfam3 said:   BEWARE!! They are switching to LTE soon, so the current devices will no longer work. You will have to buy a new device.
 Not even with a firmware update?

Nope. WiMAX and LTE are implemented as very different hardware modems.

rated:
wtfu said:   I will give it a try. It said free returns. No fee when cancel. Hopefully they will keep their words.

Are you talking about Groupon returns? Because Freedompop does not offer a return through Groupon.

rated:
Crazzzzy said:   
wtfu said:   I will give it a try. It said free returns. No fee when cancel. Hopefully they will keep their words.

Are you talking about Groupon returns? Because Freedompop does not offer a return through Groupon.

Yes. Groupon 14days return policy.

rated:
notice they don't mention WiMax anywhere on the Groupon page, or that the spotty service (some antennas already shutdown, not worth replacing) will be completely stopped in 2015.

BTW, Is the CC used to buy the Photon from Groupon the same that gets signed up with Freedompop?  Or do you signup separately with Freedompop?

rated:
Anyone use the Ting.com?

rated:
Ordered then canceled minutes after. Don't want a non-LTE paperweight.

rated:
Yes, you are correct.  I will say that I had never been charged the .99 non usage fee until last month.  Was I a little disappointed?  Yes.  Did it upset me?  Not at all.  Where else are you going to find internet and your own personal hotspot for less than $12 a year??!!  As for the overage, you are always able to see how much data you have used.  FP also has tons of other ways to earn more data by referrals, watching videos, completing offers.  Given this, you should be able to keep your billing to a minimum.

Skipping 16 Messages...
rated:
Hey guys. just called Freedompop. They extended the 2Gb trial for free. I will be charged on the 31st and then issue a refund later. I am glad I used a virtual credit card number

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014