• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Nokia Lumia 521 - Refurbished | T-Mobile
Disclaimer
I missed the Amazon deal and it seems the Target deal is also gone and they won't match prices in store with their online price (currently $65 but OOS online), so I found this Nokia Lumia 521 refurb phone on the T-Mobile website  Seems decent and it comes with a 1 yr. mfg. warranty. 

T-Mobile
See T-Mobile coupons that earn Up to $37.50 FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Nokia Lumia 521 Refurb
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I bought two of these for my wife and daughter,had them activated yesterday. They came with their own sim cards. I opene... (more)

jockum (Dec. 23, 2013 @ 8:27p) |

funkmasterta (Dec. 31, 2013 @ 4:19p) |

I get a price of $96 for a refurb!

Stylo (Jan. 18, 2014 @ 5:38p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FrugalMiester said:   I missed the Amazon deal and it seems the Target deal is also gone and they won't match prices in store with their online price (currently $65 but OOS online), so I found this Nokia Lumia 521 refurb phone on the T-Mobile website  Seems decent and it comes with a 1 yr. mfg. warranty. 

Target deal is certainly not gone, at least not yet! I just bought four at $59.99 today to give as gifts.

I am trying to convince myself the 30 dollar prism phone was just as good a deal...I will not go to Target. i am a sick person

this is one of the worst phones I had ever, calls drop very often, did not recommend to anyone, even it costs $0. Just not worth it.

irus said:   this is one of the worst phones I had ever, calls drop very often, did not recommend to anyone, even it costs $0. Just not worth it.

Perhaps it was your carrier? On Tmobile mine has been flawless.

FYI...I posted a refurb deal earlier(which was marked as new by T-Mobile for some time.)...Honestly I think the best TMO refurb deal is already gone. (Galaxy S2 for $100).
Biggest drawback of TMO refurbs is 90 days warranty...for a small price difference you can buy a new one with at least 1 year warranty.(if credit card warranty is included you can have 2 years.) Many people reported replacing this phone multiple times so I would definitely recommend a new one over refurb.... I'm fairly confident more deals on 520 and 521 would show up until Jan 1.

I've been hoping for an inexpensive smartphone for Sprint network so I can use Kajeet (inexpensive plan for teenager). For all these 'cheap' T-Mo phones, are there any providers with equivalent or cheaper pricing to Kajeet (low minutes, high text)?

View said:   Biggest drawback of TMO refurbs is 90 days warranty...

FrugalMiester said:    and it comes with a 1 yr. mfg. warranty. 

Seems like this would be an important aspect of this deal. I can't find the info, does anyone know for sure?

MisterBeefhead said:   
FrugalMiester said:   I missed the Amazon deal and it seems the Target deal is also gone and they won't match prices in store with their online price (currently $65 but OOS online), so I found this Nokia Lumia 521 refurb phone on the T-Mobile website  Seems decent and it comes with a 1 yr. mfg. warranty. 

Target deal is certainly not gone, at least not yet! I just bought four at $59.99 today to give as gifts.

You have 10% off at Target today (12/21 & 12/22); if you add 5% off by using the Target debit card, it is about $51.3

MisterBeefhead said:   
irus said:   this is one of the worst phones I had ever, calls drop very often, did not recommend to anyone, even it costs $0. Just not worth it.
Perhaps it was your carrier? On Tmobile mine has been flawless.

Same here. Great value phone.

kychao said:   
MisterBeefhead said:   

You have 10% off at Target today (12/21 & 12/22); if you add 5% off by using the Target debit card, it is about $51.3

The 10% off does not apply to cell phones.

MisterBeefhead said:   
View said:   Biggest drawback of TMO refurbs is 90 days warranty...
FrugalMiester said:    and it comes with a 1 yr. mfg. warranty. 

Seems like this would be an important aspect of this deal. I can't find the info, does anyone know for sure?

From http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/refurbished.html 

What is a refurbished phone?

Refurbished phones offered by T-Mobile have been inspected and tested to ensure they’re in good working order, and they all come with a limited 90-day warranty. They also come with the same return policy as our new devices: 20 days from the date of your order; 30 days in California. 

Will I get $7.50 FW CashBack on this purchase?

fatxman said:   Will I get $7.50 FW CashBack on this purchase?
No. Not for refurb phones.
Restrictions for Use

• Cash Back available on new activations and equipment only

I am already a T-Mobile customer. This is so cheap I am thinking about getting it just to play with Windows 8 phone platform a bit for fun using my existing SIM card & account. Is there a way for me to buy this phone paying $48 up front, without getting the SIM card kit, and without getting any new plan with it?

a lot of phone for the money. Had BB pm Target for $59 tmo 521, no regrets. I passed up the Amazon gold deal for %60 off since I got a spare 520 on the way. I don't activate, already a Ringplus user, just use as remote, media consumption, browsing. Great for older folks, like me with large tiles and bold font. I've been watching that page http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/Nokia-Lumia-521-No-Credit-Check-Refurbished  ymmv on supply depending on location. Nokia is quality stuff. 

I recommend anybody that likes the price of these phones to have a play around with one before you buy it.

I was thinking about getting one, until I had some time with the unit and really have to say I DO NOT like the interface one bit!

Certainly it's a great price for the hardware.

gtd2000 said:   I recommend anybody that likes the price of these phones to have a play around with one before you buy it.

I was thinking about getting one, until I had some time with the unit and really have to say I DO NOT like the interface one bit!

Rome wasn't built in one day. It's a modern OS, it takes time to learn, sink in and get comfortable with. 

Good phone, but T-Mobile will add $10 for SIM card when you buy from T-Mobile.com . I remember correctly they give free SIM if you bring your owe phone with code GETASIM

I did just that. Took my SIM out of my HTC One S and put it in the 521. I thought I might switch over for a few months, but don't have time right now to fool around with e-mail accounts and apps and everything, so switched back after a day or two. My wife was not impressed and didn't want anything to do with it, but said she might try again once I figure out how it could work with her Win 8 computer and maybe a Win 8.1 tablet. Anyway, the switch was easy and worked, but I did not set up any accounts or anything.

Can't seem to have a way to buy the phone straight out without any service plan. If anyone knows if it's possible, please let me know how. Thank you.

It's a good phone for the money.  I picked one up after I washed my S3.  It's smooth with no lag.  The best part is the offline navigation.  My problem - no way to view my different camera systems with one app, so I picked up a Galaxy Light. IPcam viewer (best cam app around) is not available for windows phones.  I had 3 different programs loaded to view all of my cams with the 521.  If you like a pretty simple phone and don't do a lot of customization or need apps that are only available to android then this is a fine phone.

Justin, Log into your TMo account and where it shows your existing device, click on the "upgrade" button.  It asks you if you are adding a line or upgrading your existing phone.  The refurbished Lumina 521 at $48 one-time (or $2 over 24 months) showed up as one of the upgrade options for me.  When you add it to your cart as an upgrade, it doesn't try to make you buy the sim kit.  I didn't actually buy it, but I went through all the steps and never saw that a sim kit was required.  

gtd2000 said:   I recommend anybody that likes the price of these phones to have a play around with one before you buy it.

Perhaps a matter of personal preference, but I like it better than Android and second only to iOS. It's currently my personal phone due to the value to price ratio, great interface, and wifi calling feature.

MisterD said:   

Perhaps a matter of personal preference, but I like it better than Android and second only to iOS. It's currently my personal phone due to the value to price ratio, great interface, and wifi calling feature.

And I like the interface a bit better than Android and about a thousand times more than iOS. Not trying to be contrary for the sake of contrary, just pointing out how different people's opinions can be. Gtd2000 probably thinks we're both nuts, and MisterD is probably surprised that someone could find the iOS interface as horrible as I do. Of course you should try it first, if you can!

That said, one thing I think pretty much everyone would agree on is that this phone handles the Windows Phone 8 interface admirably. I don't see any slow downs at all, everything is as smooth as silk. That's a lot more than I've seen from lower priced Android devices. I don't know if the credit for this lies more with the phone hardware or the OS itself, but either way, it's impressive.

Jose55 said:   Justin, Log into your TMo account and where it shows your existing device, click on the "upgrade" button.  It asks you if you are adding a line or upgrading your existing phone.  The refurbished Lumina 521 at $48 one-time (or $2 over 24 months) showed up as one of the upgrade options for me.  When you add it to your cart as an upgrade, it doesn't try to make you buy the sim kit.  I didn't actually buy it, but I went through all the steps and never saw that a sim kit was required.  
  Thanks Jose55. You just helped me waste $52 on something I don't really need.

I know this deal is cheap, but you would be much better suited with a Moto G.

coolbreeze said:   I know this deal is cheap, but you would be much better suited with a Moto G.
  At over three times the price, the Moto G doesn't even belong in this conversation. The 521 is a shockingly good smartphone at a price anyone can afford. Hell, it would be an amazing bargain just as a wifi enabled media player and gps. It's so cheap you can't even insure the damn thing, the deductible on any phone protection plan I've ever seen is more than the phone cost.

MisterBeefhead said:   
coolbreeze said:   I know this deal is cheap, but you would be much better suited with a Moto G.
  At over three times the price, the Moto G doesn't even belong in this conversation. The 521 is a shockingly good smartphone at a price anyone can afford. Hell, it would be an amazing bargain just as a wifi enabled media player and gps. It's so cheap you can't even insure the damn thing, the deductible on any phone protection plan I've ever seen is more than the phone cost.

I'll partially agree. I owned and quickly returned the 521. I hated the thing (personal opinion, of course). This conversation isn't a typical one. A $48 off contract phone doesn't even have a platform for conversation. So, in that regard, it's a smoking deal considering the price for what it is, no disagreement there.

If you look at the unlocked contract free phone market for overall usability and ecosystem, the Moto G is unmatched, period, full stop.

Make more sense?

I bought two of these for my wife and daughter,had them activated yesterday. They came with their own sim cards. I opened an account with t-mo along with another phone I bought,and so far so good.To me this is a great value for those that do not need the most technologically advanced devices.Only did this because I had Sprint and was chomping to get rid of them,as I have not been able to keep a call for more than a minute for the last 6 weeks.No dropped calls so far and traveled from Louisville Ky to Mich today.

I get a price of $96 for a refurb!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014