• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Best Buy
See Best Buy coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Onkyo HT-R2295
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

why red? I am thinking about buying this because the price is great.
Is there something about its quality that I should be careful about? Please advise. Thank you.

You may have been bashed for not putting the price in the title. Looks like a great deal to me.

Very weird there are only 2 reviews on BB for this unit! Very weird!

It's a good price but I'm not upgrading to any receiver that lacks wi-fi and streaming music services. In another year these will be standard features.

They still have HDMI audio dropout issues.

Do not buy !!!

Great price if you don't need or want network connnectivity. However, once you have a network receiver, you won't want to go back. My Yamaha 475 is down in the basement, and we fully control it via the mobile apps. The whole family (even my wife) can easily control the receiver, to include streaming music from their devices.

Hard to believe that this nice Onkyo 2295 is destined to end up in the back of a garage! I still have a nice older Yamaha and older Onkyo that are homeless. Need to get the Beomaster 2400 up!

waterhead said:   why red? I am thinking about buying this because the price is great.
Is there something about its quality that I should be careful about? Please advise. Thank you.

Receivers advertised as "Home Theater" or HT are the bottom of the barrel, cheapest components made. Advertised specs are exaggerated to make a quick sale. The actual power output of this unit is about 65 watts per channel. Onkyo has a reputation for amplifier and hdmi switching failures, so be sure to buy an extended warranty if you must have this unit. Research the warranty in detail and find out where you have to take it or send it in case it fails.

My advice is to spend a little more and buy a Yamaha or Denon.

blueribb said:   
waterhead said:   why red? I am thinking about buying this because the price is great.

Receivers advertised as "Home Theater" or HT are the bottom of the barrel, cheapest components made. Advertised specs are exaggerated to make a quick sale. The actual power output of this unit is about 65 watts per channel. Onkyo has a reputation for amplifier and hdmi switching failures, so be sure to buy an extended warranty if you must have this unit. Research the warranty in detail and find out where you have to take it or send it in case it fails.

I started with a Denon, but took it back because the mobile app stinks (IMO).  The Yamaha app is nice and easy to use.

I do not use Onkyo any longer.  I install sound systems and try to only use Yamaha.  They run cooler and the app is easy to use.  I have had several Onkyos where the HDMI switch went bad.  This has not happened to one Yamaha I have installed.

Kev

Kaadamson said:   Decent reviews at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receive...
Not relevant...

I own the HT-S5500 when it was on sale a year ago and the included receiver is the Onkyo HT-R591 7.1 that is not 2 zone capable. It is a very nice receiver BTW.

Thank you Blueribb for your detailed advice. Your advice is very fair.

blueribb said:   

The 65WPC claim is a bit too harsh. Power output rating directly depends on the impedance of the speaker. The 130WPC rating is based on 6Ohms speakers. So for the commonly used 8Ohms speakers, the maximum output is 97.5WPC, which is still decent for a 7.1 HT setting in a mid-size room. I've compared my entry-level Onkyo with another HK receiver using the same set of speakers. HK does sound better. But the loudness is quite the same.

One of the biggest issues of the entry-level receivers, not only Onkyo ones, is the distortion at high power output usage, especially when pushing to the limit. However, I rarely turn my 7.1 setup to 1/2 of the maximum output (100WPC @8Ohms), and the room is already full of sound and my floor is shaking for explosion scenes. @half maximum power output, the THD of most Onkyo HT receivers are quite acceptable (commonly ~0.08%).

papajoker said:   
blueribb said:   

The 65WPC claim is a bit too harsh. Power output rating directly depends on the impedance of the speaker. The 130WPC rating is based on 6Ohms speakers. So for the commonly used 8Ohms speakers, the maximum output is 97.5WPC, which is still decent for a 7.1 HT setting in a mid-size room. I've compared my entry-level Onkyo with another HK receiver using the same set of speakers. HK does sound better. But the loudness is quite the same.

One of the biggest issues of the entry-level receivers, not only Onkyo ones, is the distortion at high power output usage, especially when pushing to the limit. However, I rarely turn my 7.1 setup to 1/2 of the maximum output (100WPC @8Ohms), and the room is already full of sound and my floor is shaking for explosion scenes. @half maximum power output, the THD of most Onkyo HT receivers are quite acceptable (commonly ~0.08%).

Yes, I guess I was a bit harsh but according to the owners manual:

Rated Output Power All channels: 80 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.7% (FTC)

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/HT-R2295_English.pdf (page 67)

The reason your floor is shaking is because of your powered sub. Eighty watts per channel is plenty for most people unless they have speakers that have very low sensitivity ratings (<85 spl)

blueribb said:   
papajoker said:   
blueribb said:   

Yes, I guess I was a bit harsh but according to the owners manual:

Rated Output Power All channels: 80 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels drivenfrom 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a maximum total harmonic distortion of 0.7% (FTC)

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/HT-R2295_English.pdf (page 67)

The reason your floor is shaking is because of your powered sub. Eighty watts per channel is plenty for most people unless they have speakers that have very low sensitivity ratings (<85 spl)

It is the 300W sub that shakes the floor

I'd say 0.7% distortion @80W is not bad for an entry level unit. But I guess it would be very high when tuned up to 95W.

that works out to be like 40wpc at the more normal .01% THD all channels driven....fine for normal folk (I'm not one of them :-P )

OP, not seeing the $150 price. Is showing up as 350 (500-150). Or is this already dead?

3d passthrough is a big deal. We got a new 3D Plasma and have a PS3.

Jockying around the HDMI/optical connections to get sound + audio (non 3D passthrough Yamaha receiver is a pain) is no fun.

But yes, it's dead.

I got in on this for $150 and ended up returning it. It made the speakers pop when I changed TV channels, changed TV inputs or powered off the receiver. I called Onkyo who walked me through resetting it. That didn't work so they suggested I exchange it. Getting a refund from Best Buy was painless; trying to get an exchange was painful. So I just got a refund.

Mine doesn't do that. In addition to you possibly getting a lemon, I wonder if it could be your TV or even your HDMI cable? I could see it happening if you're using the ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature of HDMI 1.4 that lets your TV and receiver sync up the audio. Perhaps the ARC functionality on your TV has a bug, or perhaps it's the cable. The only reason I suggest the cable is that I see some advertised as HDMI 1.4 compliant and some as 1.3, so maybe you need whatever version of HDMI spec introduced the ARC feature?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014