• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Quicken Legal Business Pro 2014 Download
Disclaimer
I found the Digital Software Deal of the Day at Amazon when looking the WillMaker software 

Quicken WillMaker Plus 2014 [Download]
[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB0F7LM[/url]

also

Quicken Legal Business Pro 2014
[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EB0DBRO[/url]

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

Quicken WillMaker Plus
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Consumer Reports link
Write your own will?
We tested 3 software products that claim to help you do it

EvilWizardGlick said:   Consumer Reports link 
Write your own will?

Reading the article, it's not as bad as it tries to make it sound.  Yes if you free-edit a will after your software created a will, you can cause problems.  Yes if you need very special flexibility in your will, it can be restricting.  But it doesn't say there would be problems with a normal will generated from the software.  If you have a simple estate, this is a simple solution.  If you have a substantial estate, a lawyer is probably warranted.

EvilWizardGlick said:   Consumer Reports link 
Write your own will?

Thanks EvilWizard for the link. The CR review is from 2011, so a bit dated. But it does say that Willmaker Plus was the best of the tested products.
One criticism was the omission of dealing with digital assets, but WillMaker 2012 was supposed to include that, so I am assuming the 2014 version does as well (something few people think about).
As the CR review concludes, this is better than nothing for those without a will or a good way to get your estate in order before calling an attorney.

Thanks OP. Wasn't looking for this but definitely need it.

There are a couple Amazon reviews that give me pause. Read the one about the software locking after a certain amount of time. I assume 2014 will do the same thing.

Quicken products have gone downhill over the years and I avoid them when I can. I hate that there is not real competition for Quicken money management software.

thanks OP! The "Premium Home and Family" version is on sale at Costco online through 1/19/2014 at $24.99. Does anyone know the extra features in Premium H&F? Should I get this instead of the Plus version if we have kids?
Thank you in advance!

I've been a lawyer for 15 years and a fatwalleter for longer. I have personally tried cases where people have had wills invalidated because they tried to do it through software and not visited a licensed lawyer in their state. I'm not saying this to get any business, because I won't get any out of it. I'm merely stating "use at your own risk." Many states have very stringent laws on not only the content of the will, but how it is signed and witnessed. People normally won't litigate if there's not much in the estate to fight over, but if there is anything substantial in the estate, I would strongly encourage fatwalleters to visit a licensed attorney. It typically is not expensive ($500 or less in most cases if you don't have millions of dollars). Otherwise, your software Will might not be worth the paper it's printed on.

icecreamtruck said:   I've been a lawyer for 15 years and a fatwalleter for longer. I have personally tried cases where people have had wills invalidated because they tried to do it through software and not visited a licensed lawyer in their state. I'm not saying this to get any business, because I won't get any out of it. I'm merely stating "use at your own risk." Many states have very stringent laws on not only the content of the will, but how it is signed and witnessed. People normally won't litigate if there's not much in the estate to fight over, but if there is anything substantial in the estate, I would strongly encourage fatwalleters to visit a licensed attorney. It typically is not expensive ($500 or less in most cases if you don't have millions of dollars). Otherwise, your software Will might not be worth the paper it's printed on.
  Thanks for the advice. Do you think going through the software first, getting documentation together, etc., and then generating a "draft" as a starting point for a lawyer provides any value? That seems to be the takeaway from the CR article.

The naysayer lawyer is exactly the kind of scaremonger we don't need on this thread. The vast majority of people who wish to take advantage of these very affordable programs aren't leaving behind 'millions'. They likely have simple and straightforward instructions to direct their assets (real estate, bank accounts and brokerage accounts)among their heirs. Also, these programs have been refined and continuously improved over time so they are more robust and watertight now than in years past.

He wrote>>> "Many states have stringent laws...". So what? You think the designers of this software don't know these laws? Programs from companies like Quicken and LegalZoom have done a great job in driving down costs for the consumer. What's not to like about that? And yes, you can get witnesses to sign it in the exact manner required and stipulated by your local State laws - don't be scared off by this gibberish.

I wouldn't let a lawyer dissuade me from making this software purchase - in fact, I would be even more inclined to buy it.

A few hundred bucks to ensure your family doesn't get run through the legal ringer when you are 6ft under seems to be a good idea, IMO. $19 is cheap, but at the risk of legal gymnastics post-mortem? I know we all like to save money, but I don't' think your will is a wise thing to cheap out on.

I think if you have heirs who will fight over stuff... Then a lawyer might be your best bet if it's simple and straightforward even if it is millions... This is a good choice IMO

If I had heirs that I thought would fight over stuff...they wouldn't be getting anything.

Welcome to America where irrational costs for mundane services are the status quo.

$100 a month for cable? Sure why not.
Another $100 for my phone, seems reasonable.
$500 just to say I want to give my money to my next of kin when I die... such a bargain.
$15,000 to a realtor to sell an average single family home... how could I expect it to be any cheaper - it's soooooo difficult!

Sorry for the rant... wills are one of my pet peeves.... second only to Realtors.

Obligatory relevant content - I think this has expired.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014