• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YW69B4 

Slow-cookers are a great complement to today’s busy lifestyles. Once the ingredients are added, the virtually meal cooks itself. This collection brings together a huge number and variety of recipes that show off the value, ease, and versatility — not to mention delicious taste — of this cooking method. Seasoned cookbook author Sue Spitler covers every aspect of using slow-cookers. The book explains the various kinds and sizes of cookers, from 1-1/2 quarts to seven quarts, and shows what recipes work best in each type. From there, readers learn to prepare all the necessary ingredients beforehand so that they can refrigerate the food and the crock for anywhere from hours to overnight and then plug the appliance in when it's time to cook. Included are more than a thousand scrumptious recipes — all thoroughly tested — for appetizers, entrees, side dishes, breads, sandwiches, and desserts.

New on 1/8

Vegan Slow Cooker: 99 Super Easy, Incredibly Delicious Vegan One-Pot Slow Cooker Recipes You Can Set and Forget
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Slow-Cooker-Incredibly-Delicious-ebook/dp/B00HL1OIL8 

New on 1/9

51 Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes - Fabulous Easy Vegetarian Slow cooker Recipes
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APRRRYA 

35 Slow Cooker Soups & Stews: Recipes To Warm You Up!
http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Cooker-Soups-Stews-ebook/dp/B00AVAK3F6 

New on 1/10

Super Easy Slow Cooker Recipes For Busy Moms
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8KGAME/ 

10 Mexican Style Slow Cooker Recipes
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T3SOO8 

Vegan Slow Cooker Cook Book: Quick & Easy Slow Cooker Meals For Busy Women
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Slow-Cooker-Cook-Book-ebook/dp/B00HQWX6LA 

51 Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes - Fabulous Easy Vegetarian Slow cooker Recipes
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Slow-Cooker-Recipes-ebook/dp/B00APRRRYA 

Family Favorite Slow Cooker Dinner Recipes
http://www.amazon.com/Family-Favorite-Cooker-Dinner-Recipes-ebook/dp/B00HLA3JZK 

Slow Cooking Done Right
http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Right-Cooker-Soups-ebook/dp/B009XNG0EA 

35 Slow Cooker Soups & Stews: Recipes To Warm You Up!
http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Cooker-Soups-Stews-ebook/dp/B00AVAK3F6 

Member Summary

Slow-Cooker Recipes
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I don't know who is the troll here.

Basic logic here:

1. look of food influenced perceptions flavor / taste
2. picture of f... (more)

kickerstarter (Jan. 28, 2014 @ 1:50p) |

Which goes back to why all the finest dining establishments have pictures of their food on the menu. Oh, wait, that i... (more)

FierceMice (Jan. 28, 2014 @ 2:07p) |

Fine dining establishments had other ways of advertising their food. There are other reasons why fine dining restaurants... (more)

kickerstarter (Jan. 28, 2014 @ 2:55p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks, In for 1.

I am pretty sure this is the book I bought last year after a lot of recommendations. Thanks for the freebie, OP! It's a great book.

thanx, already had the first but not the others

Just got my first croc-pot, perfect timing OP THANKS

Now that I have the internet, and can look up any recipe at any time, why would I want a recipe book in any form (print or kindle)?

Bizatch said:   Now that I have the internet, and can look up any recipe at any time, why would I want a recipe book in any form (print or kindle)?
  You must be the only person in the world that the internet never goes down. It is also very handy to scroll through the recipes on your PC and see what you want to cook and open it up on your tablet in the kitchen. All these free Kindle books are handy and use very little storage. The PC and Tablet App is  free, also. It's a win-win. Thanks OP

Thanks OP.

Nice, Thanks!

Thanks, OP.

Thanks OP. Always looking to up my slow cooker game.

great timing; perfect day to crank up the crock-pot in chicago.

thanks, remick!

Thanks OP. Yes, great timing. 15 y.o. kitchen oven is on the blink. Couple of days coming of crock-pot meals. BTW, it seems that getting a good crock-pot these days is hard to come by. Any recommendations?

Thanks OP!

crock-pot 

not a price to write home about but ive had this unit for nearly five years and it still works as well as day one.

the stoneware is dishwasher, microwave and oven safe and the interior of the base unit essentially cleans itself with a scoop of oxiclean and hot water.

TY, OP! Just got a tablet with the Kindle app. Now, I've got recipes!

Thank you! Good soup weather here in SW FL.

Quick FYI!

15 Slow Cooker Valentine Recipes
http://www.amazon.com/15-Slow-Cooker-Valentine-Recipes-ebook/dp/...

This one's is .99 cents.

Thanks!!!

You get what you pay for. Book has no photo. I don't understand why people still want cook books without photo. There is not even a proof that the recipe has been tested.

kickerstarter said:   You get what you pay for. Book has no photo. I don't understand why people still want cook books without photo. There is not even a proof that the recipe has been tested.
  In this case, you get what you don't pay for.  I'm an average to good cook, and can tell from reading the recipe whether it will suit my taste, if I want to make a substitution (or more), and have a pretty good idea of how it will taste. I like pictures of desserts, oven roasted or grilled items, and full plate meals, especially if unique or decorative, etc., but how it looks in the crockpot doesn't affect the taste at all - and how it looks on the plate may differ substantially from when you lift the lid and it's "done."

kickerstarter  said: There is not even a proof that the recipe has been tested.
  hmm?

OP - thanks, nothing like having a pile of recipes in my handy kindle !

Thank you so much OP!!

Thanks so much! I am just looking forward to some books! OP!!

Thank you ♥

Thanks!

Thanks to the OP for the Paleo Slow Cooker Cookbook, right up my alley

spsaver said:   
kickerstarter said:   You get what you pay for. Book has no photo. I don't understand why people still want cook books without photo. There is not even a proof that the recipe has been tested.
  In this case, you get what you don't pay for.  I'm an average to good cook, and can tell from reading the recipe whether it will suit my taste, if I want to make a substitution (or more), and have a pretty good idea of how it will taste. I like pictures of desserts, oven roasted or grilled items, and full plate meals, especially if unique or decorative, etc., but how it looks in the crockpot doesn't affect the taste at all - and how it looks on the plate may differ substantially from when you lift the lid and it's "done."

I disagree.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Seeing what the final product looks like helps make decision of what to cook.

And how food looks and presented has A LOT to do with its taste. Visual stimulation is just as important as smell. Without the look, most Thanksgiving turkeys are just dog food.

kicknow kerstarter said:   spsaver said:   
  In this case, you get what you don't pay for.  I'm animals average to good cook, and can tell from reading the recipe whether it will suit my taste, if I want to make a substitution (or more), and have a pretty good idea of how it will taste. I like pictures of desserts, oven roasted or grilled items, and full plate meals, especially if unique or decorative, etc., but how it looks in the crockpot doesn't affect the taste at all - and how it looks on the plate may differ substantially from when you lift the lid and it's "done."

I disagree.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Seeing what the final product looks like helps make decision of what to cook.

And how food looks and presented has A LOT to do with its taste. Visual stimulation is just as important as smell. Without the look, most Thanksgiving turkeys are just dog food.

NOW I understand why all the REALLY good restaurants have pictures of the food on the menus. Thanks for explaining why food tastes good!!

FierceMice said:   
kicknow kerstarter said:   
spsaver said:   
  In this case, you get what you don't pay for.  I'm animals average to good cook, and can tell from reading the recipe whether it will suit my taste, if I want to make a substitution (or more), and have a pretty good idea of how it will taste. I like pictures of desserts, oven roasted or grilled items, and full plate meals, especially if unique or decorative, etc., but how it looks in the crockpot doesn't affect the taste at all - and how it looks on the plate may differ substantially from when you lift the lid and it's "done."

I disagree.

NOW I understand why all the REALLY good restaurants have pictures of the food on the menus. Thanks for explaining why food tastes good!!

Hey! Don't knock the fine dining and atmosphere of Applebees just because you can't get a reservation! 

Thx OP. Got a new crock pot for xmas & have been looking for some new recipes!

Thanks!

FierceMice said:   
kicknow kerstarter said:   
spsaver said:   

I disagree.

You are missing the point.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=experts-how-doe...

Read and learn.

So.... I am ready to start putting this pot to use. Quick question though, any thoughts on preparing ingredients on Sunday for a week of dinners? It seems like freezing is not recommended. Any tips would be great!

Thanks in advance FW community!

Unfortunately there's no standard answer, although in my experience almost any slow cooker recipe tastes even better as a left over. There are some foods (I am thinking mostly of fish right now) that never warm up well, but I have never cooked fish in a slow cooker.

Or, follow kickstarter's misunderstood application of his scientific American article and take a picture of yummy food and look at that as you eat throughout the week. Apparently, pictures in a cookbook influence taste as much as the appearance and smell of the actual food

Good luck!

FierceMice said:    Apparently, pictures in a cookbook influence taste as much as the appearance and smell of the actual food

Appearently, you misunderstood the application of the Scientific American article.

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but I can't resist.
Kickerstarter, did you even read the article you linked? It talks about how the look, smell, and feel of food influenced perceptions of flavor / taste.
Not once did it say anything about pictures of food (or the absence of pictures in a cookbook) influencing perceptions of taste in the finished product. So please get off your high horse about how this cookbook is awful because it doesn't have beautiful pictures.

I don't know who is the troll here.

Basic logic here:

1. look of food influenced perceptions flavor / taste
2. picture of food tells what your food will look like

therefore, picture of food gives a preview of how it will taste.

If you think having pictures in cookbook adds no value to your choice of recipe, you are just lying to yourself. Imagine listening to Food Network with the screen off. Get real!

Skipping 2 Messages...
Fine dining establishments had other ways of advertising their food. There are other reasons why fine dining restaurants do not show pictures. One being it makes them look like causal restaurants. There is no such equation for judging a cookbook.

So, the same to you.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014