• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Amazon.com : Viewtv VT-163 ATSC Digital TV Converter Box and Media Player w/ Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out / Coaxial Out / Composite Out / USB Input : Dtv Converters : Electronics
Disclaimer
Got an email this morning with a coupon for $30 dollars off a digital TV converter box and Media Player.
Also doubles as a media player from the description, details say it plays mkv files via usb.
Digital TV Converter Box and Media Player w/ Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out / Coaxial Out / Composite Out / USB Input

Regular price: $69.99
Coupon         -$30.00
My final price was  $39.99 and Free shipping through Amazon.

Coupon Code: 30ofsale


Digital TV Converter Box and Media Player w/ Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out / Coaxial Out / Composite Out / USB Input
Link:http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=aps&keywords=B00GGVPKKC 

Member Summary

Digital TV Converter Box
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Records one show to a usb drive you supply. Okay if it is what you are looking for, but can probably buy a PC card for $... (more)

Heim (Jan. 08, 2014 @ 12:46a) |

This box will be one of the many "clones" that is extremely similar to the Homeworx or Iview boxes. I happen to have the... (more)

WeekendAvenger (Jan. 08, 2014 @ 4:35a) |

Jumping in, seems like a good price for the hardware... This will solve my lack of EPG data issue I have on my older Sh... (more)

GreatBeach (Jan. 08, 2014 @ 11:07a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

there are other recommended options from Amazon for about the same price...

link 1 
link 2 

Cool !
This market seems to be finally taking off .
Check this for the better / $$ version
 http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/channel-master-dvr/ 

and

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/simply-awesome/ 

  

author is a fatwallet person  so  more info is around here ..
 
 

Did just buy the $40 toy ..   we shall see..

psxzombie said:   there are other recommended options from Amazon for about half the price...

link 1 
link 2
 

Are you saying the $30 off coupon works with these as well?
 

compare to Homeworx? Works but I don't care for the interface...

I think the coupon only works for the Viewtv one

chibimike said:   
psxzombie said:   there are other recommended options from Amazon for about half the price...

link 1 
link 2 

Are you saying the $30 off coupon works with these as well?

  i think it only works for the viewtv one

psxzombie said:   there are other recommended options from Amazon for about half the price...

link 1 
link 2

  thanks for the links .
but your math is  odd.
both $40  and   $45 units are " similar "  but certainly not half price .
 

SupTech said:   
psxzombie said:   there are other recommended options from Amazon for about half the price...

link 1 
link 2

  thanks for the links .
but your math is  odd.
both $40  and   $45 units are " similar "  but certainly not half price .

  I think this person has ignored the $30 off coupon.  Without the coupon, the two linked ones are attractive, but with the coupon factored in, all three are about the same price.  Seems like there may be a few more features on the Viewtv one, or perhaps the ad copy is just written with more details.
 

leonc said:   
SupTech said:   
psxzombie said:   there are other recommended options from Amazon for about half the price...

link 1 
link 2

  thanks for the links .
but your math is  odd.
both $40  and   $45 units are " similar "  but certainly not half price .

  I think this person has ignored the $30 off coupon.  Without the coupon, the two linked ones are attractive, but with the coupon factored in, all three are about the same price.  Seems like there may be a few more features on the Viewtv one, or perhaps the ad copy is just written with more details.

  thanks for the input fellas.

somehow the forum thinks my post required review, so it was lost in limbo for a while and could not be edited.  it's now corrected. 

Does this record to a universal format that you could store/archive on your PC?

Anyone know if this would work with the XBox one? I'd love to get OTA to my XBone, especially if I could control it through audio commands

arribasn said:   Does this record to a universal format that you could store/archive on your PC?
  one of the questions answered by a user
Does it display and RECORD closed captions? 14 days ago
Even though Viewtv does display Closed Captions & record them, it CANNOT display them when watching a recording. You may be able to view the recorded captions on your PC using a media player such as VLC player by enabling closed captions 1 in the video settings. 

My biggest problem is the antenna. Live too far to use any type of small indoor one.

SupTech said:   Cool !
This market seems to be finally taking off .
Check this for the better / $$ version
 http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/channel-master-dvr/ 

and

http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/simply-awesome/ 

  

author is a fatwallet person  so  more info is around here ..

  Thanks so much for these links! We are in the process of "cutting the cord". Just bought SimpleTV during the last Woot sale. This blog is an awesome resource!

Nice product but only useful if one can get decent OTA TV. As I understand it, it is useless if one needs cable service for even basic TV. Am I correct?

shallot said:   Nice product but only useful if one can get decent OTA TV. As I understand it, it is useless if one needs cable service for even basic TV. Am I correct?
  looks like it has QAM/Cable Capabilities from the description

Sucks for me, i got one 2 weeks ago at full price plus shipping

I have Comcast basic digital cable with basic cable box nothing fancy. The output is analog. i am looking for a device which can convert this analog into digital (HDMI) as one of the TV only have HDMI input. Can anyone here suggest me a cheap way of doing it. 

TIA

azygous said:   I have Comcast basic digital cable with basic cable box nothing fancy. The output is analog. i am looking for a device which can convert this analog into digital (HDMI) as one of the TV only have HDMI input. Can anyone here suggest me a cheap way of doing it. 

TIA

  Comcast has digital boxes and DTA's with HDMI outputs....why not just exchange your box?

arribasn said:   Does this record to a universal format that you could store/archive on your PC?
  From the description I think it does.  I'm in for one. 
 

Just got one (used coupon).
Perfect for me, I just dumped Comcast TV (still have blast internet from them)
Last week installed Outdoor Antenna  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_details_o05_s... 
I have a old 58"  1080i Toshiba rear-projection TV that don't have a digital tuner. (just started to use the free 480i Government box that I saved for 5years before use)
Saving $200/year so it takes less than 6 months to equipment cost of going terrestrial television back.

a. If you are purchasing this device soley for QAM/Cable capability please be advised that it will work ONLY with DECRYPTED channels. It may NOT work with all Cable providers.
b. Old TV's with analog tuners will NOT allow you to watch one channel and record another with this device.
c. New HDTVs WILL allow you to watch one channel using TV's digital tuner and record another, but you MUST enable "Loop Through" Under MENU/ Channel Search/ Modulation.

vanheve2 said:   
azygous said:   I have Comcast basic digital cable with basic cable box nothing fancy. The output is analog. i am looking for a device which can convert this analog into digital (HDMI) as one of the TV only have HDMI input. Can anyone here suggest me a cheap way of doing it. 

TIA

  Comcast has digital boxes and DTA's with HDMI outputs....why not just exchange your box?

  at my comcast office, the analog output boxes are what is provided, unless you opt to pay for HD programming. We have the cheap box but use the xbox 360 for HD.
 

Does this work with Dish satellite?

dmikester10 said:   Does this work with Dish satellite?
  no

Records one show to a usb drive you supply. Okay if it is what you are looking for, but can probably buy a PC card for $10 to do the same if you don't need set top.

vickh said:   compare to Homeworx? Works but I don't care for the interface...
  This box will be one of the many "clones" that is extremely similar to the Homeworx or Iview boxes. I happen to have the second version of the Iview and as long as your realistic in your expectations it's a very good buy. While I don't have the ViewTV, since they are all the same I can tell you some of the issue's that it will have. It's PVR timer is set from the information it get's from the TV signal so if that is wrong, the box won't start and stop at the right time on recordings. Also it's not going to have the "enhanced" guide functions like a TIVO would since it's only source of information is what is broadcast in the TV signal, it doesn't get it from the internet. It only has a ATSC (possibly with clear QAM capabilities if the firmware supports it) so even if it can receive unencrypted cable, it's not a good replacement for any cable box with a DVR due to no cablecard slot.

Hardware on all of these boxes seems to be fairly solid. They are known to be somewhat finicky about interference, but reception on them is very good. ATSC decoding is also good and scaling is decent. There are of course better unit's going all the way up to the TIVO's, but you will pay accordingly.

Jumping in, seems like a good price for the hardware... This will solve my lack of EPG data issue I have on my older Sharp TV. I was going to hold out for the SiliconDust's new HDHR4 but this might work out better. Thanks!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014