• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Amazon just dropped the price of the Roamio Pro by about $100 (a price low).

TiVo Roamio Pro HD Digital Video Recorder and Streaming Media Player (TCD840300)4.7 out of 5 5 stars (121 customer reviews)
Price:   $433.59 & FREE Shipping.
Ships from and sold by Amaz on.com (3rd parties are selling it for even less)

• Record 6 shows at once (6 tuners)
  • Up to 450 HD / 3000 SD hours recording capacity (3TB)
  • Works with digital cable or Verizon FIOS
  • Built in wireless networking
  • Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amaz on Instant Video, Pandora, Spotify and more

Note: the basic model that can run OTA/without cable is still on sale for $150 at Amaz on. Otherwise you need to factor in the cost of a cable card. Also, the Tivo service fees is $15 per month or $500 for lifetime.

Model comparison:
Basic: 500GB, records up to 75 hours in high-def (500 SD hours), 4 tuners, compatible with HD antennae, cable, or FIOS (not satellite or U-Verse), must purchase TiVo Stream to stream live and record content to iOS (and eventually Android) devices
Plus: 1TB, records up to 150 hours in high-def (1000 SD hours), 6 tuners, compatible with cable or FIOS (not satellite or U-Verse)  
Pro: 3TB, records up to 450 hours in high-def (3000 SD hours), 6 tuners, compatible with cable or FIOS (not satellite or U-Verse)

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

TiVo Roamio Pro (5.62kB)
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Showing $399 from an Amazon affiliate now - even better.
Coupon code PLSR sometimes takes $100 off of lifetime service for new customers. I think it's only supposed to work for existing customers, but there are lots of reports of it working - worth a try.

Edit:
I have a Roamio Basic and a Pro - love them both. They're not perfect, but I don't know of a more reliable DVR solution that any member of the family can use easily.

I have a TiVoHD that I bought in 2008 that I upgraded to 1 TB hard drive, plus I have an AppleTV for radio and tv streaming services. Is it really worth the upgrade for one of these devices given what I have? I have no cable, only my local channels that I get from my antennae.

Can someone tell me the benefit of these Tivo romeos? It seems like in the long run, if it is solely tuners, you could pay the extra $$ to buy 2 additional DVR boxes. After 2 years, we're talking over $700 for the initial box + monthly charges.

I've got the upgraded TiVoHD with lifetime as well and so far haven't found a reason to upgrade, other than to channel map QAM channels in my master bedroom for a TV that rarely gets used.  This would require my purchasing a non-validated CC off eBay to do this however.  As noted in the OP, the base unit is the only one with OTA capability.

For those with Tivo HD and cable. Keep an eye out for channels being converted to a new format, MPEG4. I was losing some of my must have channels so upgraded to the Roamio. Great DVR. Has some quirks (nowhere near as bad as the Premiere) but it is early and they appear to be fixed on a regular basis. If you have lifetime on the HD and it is within 2 years - highly unlikely but that was my scenario due to some fatwallet deals the Tivo guys will transfer for the service. You "just" have to buy the new unit(s).

Teasip said:   I've got the upgraded TiVoHD with lifetime as well and so far haven't found a reason to upgrade, other than to channel map QAM channels in my master bedroom for a TV that rarely gets used.  This would require my purchasing a non-validated CC off eBay to do this however.  As noted in the OP, the base unit is the only one with OTA capability.
My history with TiVo equipment is that after a time (seems like 5 or 6 years) I have hard drive failures.  At that time the question becomes whether it's worth the cost and effort to fix the existing TiVo or to buy a new one with added functionality and performance.  I had Series 2 TiVos, then a Series 3 and two TiVo HDs.  I currently have a Premiere, a Premiere XL and a Roamio Pro.  The newer TiVos offer more tuners can stream to an iPad, and they are much more responsive.  However, that being said, I probably wouldn't replace a Tivo HD with lifetime service unless it failed.

Now if only TiVo would include Amazon Prime Instant Video... 

A couple of things to note:

> Only the base model Roamio (the $150 one) can receive over-the-air channels. The bigger ones require cablecards for their six tuners.
> The base model is either cable or OTA, not both. The TivoHD has an advantage there.
> Roamios are MUCH faster overall, and much faster transferring shows than even the Premiere.
> Roamios have the latest HTML5 apps (Tivo is kicking Flash to the curb.)
> Roamio hard drives can be upgraded simply by dropping in a larger hard drive, up to 3TB. This makes the entry level Roamio a no-brainer kind of upgrade for people looking for an upgrade path.

I have just purchased a base model, dropped in a 3TB hard drive, and am planning to sell my Premiere XL4 and external hard drive. I should net out about even with the lifetime subs.

Redbeard25 said:   A couple of things to note:

> Only the base model Roamio (the $150 one) can receive over-the-air channels. The bigger ones require cablecards for their six tuners.
> The base model is either cable or OTA, not both. The TivoHD has an advantage there.
> Roamios are MUCH faster overall, and much faster transferring shows than even the Premiere.
> Roamio hard drives can be upgraded simply by dropping in a larger hard drive, up to 3TB. This makes the entry level Roamio a no-brainer kind of upgrade for people looking for an upgrade path.

I have just purchased a base model, dropped in a 3TB hard drive, and am planning to sell my Premiere XL4 and external hard drive. I should net out about even with the lifetime subs.

Also, base model only has four tuners; Plus and Pro have six tuners and a case designed for better heat management.

chrispitude said:   
Redbeard25 said:   A couple of things to note:

Also, base model only has four tuners; Plus and Pro have six tuners and a case designed for better heat management.

So basically, the base Roamio has subpar cooling? I know the Premiere DVR's have case fan issues, but the base Roamio has deficient cooling? Never knew that.

What is wrong with the Premiers? I have the Premier XL 4 with 300 hours and 4 tuners. Are there occasionally times I wish I could get 6 shows at once? But they are rare. I have a Roku 2 for streaming. I can set recordings via the TiVo app on my ipad if need be. So what isn't to like? Don't bash it just because you have a Roamio and like it better. Newer is usually better but that doesn't mean the Premiers were in any way bad.

The initial release Premiere software was very buggy. And that's putting it nicely. However, I've owned two xl4's for over two years with no issues. I upgraded from three HD units for the extra tuners and streaming ability. I haven't come up with a good reason to move to the roamio yet.

The base roamio has a fancy, curvy shape, while the others are more traditional boxes. Maybe that's the cooling difference?

seankovacs said:   Can someone tell me the benefit of these Tivo romeos? It seems like in the long run, if it is solely tuners, you could pay the extra $$ to buy 2 additional DVR boxes. After 2 years, we're talking over $700 for the initial box + monthly charges.

IMO, you are paying for better tech and over time you will recoup the costs.  Currently I have two DVRs in my house from Verizon.  I pay about $37 a month for the privilege of having two antiquated boxes with two tuners that can barely hold any HD content.  Over the next 2 years, I'll pay $888 for two boxes I don't get to keep if I cancelled Fios.  

If I replaced it with a Roamio Plus ($349 @ Costco) and a Mini plus lifetime subs for both, I'd pay about $1050 up front (assuming I can get the $400 lifetime sub), then $60 a year to Verizon for CableCard.  After three years, the Tivo becomes cheaper than the Verizon boxes, at current rates.  Plus as others have pointed out, you can sell the Tivo hardware if you want to upgrade or just stop paying so much for TV.  Apparently they hold their value pretty well on the resale market.  

The only downsides I've seen for Verizon are 1) Lose on-demand services (I believe Comcast on-demand works with Tivo) and 2) Verizon tech support may very well screw up the CableCard initiation and you get to go into customer service hell getting it fixed and 3) If the equipment starts acting dodgy, it is on you to fix.  The one advantage of the Verizon box is it works, and if it doesn't work I can go turn it in for a new one.  

ProzacBoy said:   So basically, the base Roamio has subpar cooling? I know the Premiere DVR's have case fan issues, but the base Roamio has deficient cooling? Never knew that.

I don't know if the base Roamio's is adequate or subpar; I just know that the Plus and Pro case has more airflow. There's several pages of discussion about it starting at

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507695&pag...

I just recently built a home DVR system using two HD Homerun Primes (about $220 total including taxes), a VM with windows 7 running Windows Media Center (about $500 for the hardware), 3 xbox 360s (about $330 total including taxes).

My total cost is $1050 for the three boxes and 6 tuners, while this deal is $1050 for a single box.  Why should I pay three times as much for three Tivo boxes (which I would need for three TVs)?

I will pay $10 a month for cablecards for 6 tuners, and other then electricity charges no other monthly fees for this equipment.

russ0519 said:   I just recently built a home DVR system using two HD Homerun Primes (about $220 total including taxes), a VM with windows 7 running Windows Media Center (about $500 for the hardware), 3 xbox 360s (about $330 total including taxes).

My total cost is $1050 for the three boxes and 6 tuners, while this deal is $1050 for a single box.  Why should I pay three times as much for three Tivo boxes (which I would need for three TVs)?

I will pay $10 a month for cablecards for 6 tuners, and other then electricity charges no other monthly fees for this equipment.

Not owning either, the argument I've seen is that Tivo is supposed to be plug and play, while WMC can require some work to get up and running properly.  

And you wouldn't need 3 boxes.  That would be 18 tuners.  Tivo sells "Minis" which are essentially extenders like the 360 is for WMC.  Sounds like you have a solution up and running though.

chrispitude said:   
ProzacBoy said:   So basically, the base Roamio has subpar cooling? I know the Premiere DVR's have case fan issues, but the base Roamio has deficient cooling? Never knew that.

I don't know if the base Roamio's is adequate or subpar; I just know that the Plus and Pro case has more airflow. There's several pages of discussion about it starting at

The base Roamio is the first model to ever use a plastic case, so it's reliability is unknown - but keep in mind that the Plus and the Pro both take the Tivo Stream and bundle it inside the box.  This is extremely convenient if you are going to use one anyway because you don't need to add a separate box, but if you have no plans to use it you are stuck powering it 24/7 and cooling it as well.

Also, the base model is the first Tivo to remove the internal power supply and use a power brick instead.  The base model has a 24W peak power supply while the plus/pro have a 120W peak power supply, so power consumption and heat should be much lower on the base model.  There is no way to know if the removal of active cooling in the base model will negate the benefits of the lower power consumption or which model will ultimately prove more reliable - but it is always possible that the base model could be more reliable.  One thing is certain, the base model will definitely consume less power than the plus/pro if you don't add a Stream box - and if the power supply ever fails replacing it on the base model will be MUCH easier than replacing it on a plus/pro.

That being said, the plus and the pro do offer several benefits over the base model.  Gigabit ethernet, MOCA coax networking, metal case, two additional tuners, built in stream, larger built in hard drives, all of which make them a better value overall if you ultimately plan to ad a stream and a larger hard drive.  But if you are a cord cutter and absolutely need an OTA antenna then the base model plus a Stream plus an easily upgraded hard drive will get you an extremely nice DVR with almost all of the features of the plus/pro.

russ0519 said:   I just recently built a home DVR system using two HD Homerun Primes (about $220 total including taxes), a VM with windows 7 running Windows Media Center (about $500 for the hardware), 3 xbox 360s (about $330 total including taxes).

Yeah - the only reason is Tivo. If you like WMC/Xbox, yours is the better solution.

Flagg said:   
chrispitude said:   

The base Roamio is the first model to ever use a plastic case, so it's reliability is unknown - but keep in mind that the Plus and the Pro both take the Tivo Stream and bundle it inside the box.  This is extremely convenient if you are going to use one anyway because you don't need to add a separate box, but if you have no plans to use it you are stuck powering it 24/7 and cooling it as well.

Also, the base model is the first Tivo to remove the internal power supply and use a power brick instead.  The base model has a 24W peak power supply while the plus/pro have a 120W peak power supply, so power consumption and heat should be much lower on the base model.  There is no way to know if the removal of active cooling in the base model will negate the benefits of the lower power consumption or which model will ultimately prove more reliable - but it is always possible that the base model could be more reliable.  One thing is certain, the base model will definitely consume less power than the plus/pro if you don't add a Stream box - and if the power supply ever fails replacing it on the base model will be MUCH easier than replacing it on a plus/pro.

That being said, the plus and the pro do offer several benefits over the base model.  Gigabit ethernet, MOCA coax networking, metal case, two additional tuners, built in stream, larger built in hard drives, all of which make them a better value overall if you ultimately plan to ad a stream and a larger hard drive.  But if you are a cord cutter and absolutely need an OTA antenna then the base model plus a Stream plus an easily upgraded hard drive will get you an extremely nice DVR with almost all of the features of the plus/pro.

The plus and pro benefits:

• GigE - from what I've heard at tivocommunity.com, this is more a factor of the chipset they chose to use... doesn't actually get you faster transfers. The bottleneck is the CPU/transcoder, not the connection.
  • MOCA - if you need it, yes.
  • Metal Case - jury is out still
  • Built in HD - if you're swapping for a larger one on day 1, not an issue
  • Built in Stream - if you need it yes, or if you're like me and bought a Stream for your Premiere, not a big attractor.

If you have a large family and may be devoting tuners to two or three minis at a time, then you probably want six tuners. Four has been enough for my family so far. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014