• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Belkin Wemo Home Automation Light Switch (Control Outlets w/ iPhone) $39.99 shipped

Amazon 

• Turn electronics on or off -from anywhere. Intuitive, easy set up. Easy to use.
  • You've already got everything you need: WeMo works with your existing Wi-Fi router and any iPod touch, iPhone, iPad - iOS 5 or higher.
  • Modular system. You can add additional WeMo Switches easily, any time.
  • Works with any one-way connection lights, but not compatible with three-way connection
  • Requires a neutral wire. Not recommended to use with a metal faceplate, which may interfere with a Wi-Fi connection

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

belkin (3.91kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
This allows you to turn electric devices on or off connected to the outlet with Apple iPhone or iPad, or Android Tablet or smartphone - even able to put electronics or lights on pre-set schedule. Replaces existing light switches and has a subtle backlight to easily see at night.
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Also with free shipping

rated:
chapmanra2013 said:   Also with free shipping
  Thanks I forgot about that

rated:
why do people want to use "WeMo" instead of a more standard and generic zwave?

rated:
Is there a single z-wave device you can buy that will walk you through a simple wizard to use your existing wifi network and automatically configure itself to be remotely accessed from a simple app on a smartphone for $39? <--This is an honest question from my ignorance, btw. Every time I start looking into z-wave I go dizzy trying to figure out what all I would need to buy and configure to make each function work in my house. It seems like I would need to install some sort of gateway for the devices to access my wifi network, and then they have several dozen gateways listed there that all look to me like they do something different. And that doesn't even begin to address the hundreds of different devices that all look like they could perform the same task, but have some slight variation from the other devices listed. Z-wave looks like it would be a fantastic way to integrate a bunch of different automation devices if you wanted to take the time to decipher it all. But for someone who just needs to turn a light or a power outlet on/off, WeMo is a pretty dang simple way to do it. (Full disclosure: I own one WeMo power switch and it works perfectly for the function I use it for. And I envy the true nerds who have Z-wave or one of the other automation standards all figured out and implemented in their homes. I should probably turn in my nerd card for not understanding it all.)

rated:
I bought the Wemo and it took less them 15 mins to install and works great.

rated:
Acme said:   Is there a single z-wave device you can buy that will walk you through a simple wizard to use your existing wifi network and automatically configure itself to be remotely accessed from a simple app on a smartphone for $39? <--This is an honest question from my ignorance, btw. Every time I start looking into z-wave I go dizzy trying to figure out what all I would need to buy and configure to make each function work in my house. It seems like I would need to install some sort of gateway for the devices to access my wifi network, and then they have several dozen gateways listed there that all look to me like they do something different. And that doesn't even begin to address the hundreds of different devices that all look like they could perform the same task, but have some slight variation from the other devices listed. Z-wave looks like it would be a fantastic way to integrate a bunch of different automation devices if you wanted to take the time to decipher it all. But for someone who just needs to turn a light or a power outlet on/off, WeMo is a pretty dang simple way to do it. (Full disclosure: I own one WeMo power switch and it works perfectly for the function I use it for. And I envy the true nerds who have Z-wave or one of the other automation standards all figured out and implemented in their homes. I should probably turn in my nerd card for not understanding it all.)

Zwave is simple and only complicated in the lack of any single provider because it is essentially "more open source" so to speak.

Simply put, you buy a controller, such as a Vera Lite (deals for $149 to be had here and there).  This controller is basically the crossover between your local network and the controllers/zwave devices.

After that, all you need are zwave devices of any type or sort you want.  Now I am not saying the Vera Lite controller is easy to understand, because it is somewhat confusing terminology.  You have "Devices" (those are your 'wemo switches' in zwave world) and then you have schedules, actions, triggers, etc.  It gives you full flexibility, but it's not as intuitive as probably how belkin makes their wemo switches.  but it is probably more flexible.

rated:
You would think this would work as a dimmer as well, but I can't find any info. Does anybody know if it works as a dimmer?

rated:
jerryf1443 said:   I bought the Wemo and it took less them 15 mins to install and works great.
  glad to hear that it was easy to install and works good.

rated:
DOOMI said:   You would think this would work as a dimmer as well, but I can't find any info. Does anybody know if it works as a dimmer?
  Nope just on/off. I have two really like them. Easy to program, easy to install

rated:
Price went back up

rated:
I'm going to mark it dead

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014