• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Black Decker Thermal Leak Detector TLD100 | eBay
Disclaimer
eBay has the Black & Decker Thermal Leak Detector (TLD100) on sale for $27.99 with free shipping. This item goes for $40+ new on Google Products

Infrared thermometer detects wall surface temperature to spot hidden energy leaks. LED changes color at hot or cold spots.

Member Summary

leak detector
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not a bad price and I would waste hours walking around my house with on of these.

Review and video.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this detects leaks since it just tests surface temperature. A draft has nothing to due with surface temperature. To actually detect leaks I would think an infrared camera would be necessary not an IR thermometer.

Just FYI, when they say limited quantity they mean 5,000. There are 4,875 left.

Same price at Amazon and if you have Prime a faster delivery too.

DOOMI said:   I'm having a hard time understanding how this detects leaks since it just tests surface temperature. A draft has nothing to due with surface temperature. To actually detect leaks I would think an infrared camera would be necessary not an IR thermometer.

It actually detects hidden leaks. So if there is leak behind the wall, the surface will be a different temperature at that location.

MoeDiddley said:   
DOOMI said:   I'm having a hard time understanding how this detects leaks since it just tests surface temperature. A draft has nothing to due with surface temperature. To actually detect leaks I would think an infrared camera would be necessary not an IR thermometer.

It actually detects hidden leaks. So if there is leak behind the wall, the surface will be a different temperature at that location.

so it is an IR heat gun -_- I still find that meh. I think thermal sights would be substantially better. or anything that gave an actual thermal map. IR guns are so so and they are very spot on and reflect a lot. I could just do that with a regular IR gun and i dont think it would be that effective.

HopelesslyFaithful said:   
MoeDiddley said:   

so it is an IR heat gun -_- I still find that meh. I think thermal sights would be substantially better. or anything that gave an actual thermal map. IR guns are so so and they are very spot on and reflect a lot. I could just do that with a regular IR gun and i dont think it would be that effective.

Oh , but it shines a green/blue/red light when the temp changes as well.  Check this vid. Guy is a little cooky but entertaining:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcMwuZR3yAQ

Amazon linky.
4.6 stars on 408 reviews.

CamelCamelCamel

HopelesslyFaithful said:   
MoeDiddley said:   

So let's compare the cost of this thing (which admittedly, I think you could get a similar unit for a little less) to the cost of, say... the "thermal sights" IR camera gizmo.  I'm going to take a rough guess and say this is 1% or less of the price.

That'd be like saying that a Ford Focus is a horrible car because a Maybach is much more luxurious.  

yup

you can get a thermometer anywhere

lordoffire said:   
  yup

you can get a thermometer anywhere

The price is not much more expensive than a cheap IR thermometer with laser pointer.  Those are about $18 - $20 on Amzone.  I imagine these are similar to the kind I had at work a few years back that displayed the highest or lowest temperature during each scan.  I presume this is what most homeowners use it for:  "Where's the hot or cold spot?"  The red/blue light on the Black and Decker helps point out that spot (A very useful feature in my opinion!)

I think the downside to this is it doesn't have a laser pointer (or at least I'm not aware of one).  This is helpful for pointing at and measuring temps on the ceiling, or across the room.

As for 'leaks', it is indicating 'energy leaks', which doesn't have to be drafts.  The vid on the link I posted a few posts up shows the 'red' indicating on a portion of floor where the fella says his heater is underneath.  The pipes are 'leaking' heat into the room.  If a cold spot is found, heat is 'leaking' into the air (draft coming in), or leaking through the wall (e.g. outlet in the wall).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.