• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

HDHomeRun DUAL - High Definition Digital TV Tuner Network Attached HDHR3-US Black by SiliconDust - Newegg.com
Disclaimer
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual HDHR-US HD Digital Network Attached TV Tuner Device $59.99 shipped at Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007

• Dual Digital TV Tuner
  • ATSC & ClearQAM
  • 1080i HD Resolution
  • 100baseTX high speed network
  • Windows/ Mac/ Linux Compatible

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

tv tuner
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Seems like a sweet deal, thanks OP!

Your welcome

no M-CableCard support, but good for OTA if any provider still supports it.

I got the one that has cable card support and I love it. Could not be happier.

I have both. This one is for OTA broadcasts. works good to have TV on your network to watch on any PC on network other than TV's.

I want DLNA, so I may have to wait for HDHR4-2US, but this is a sweet deal if you want the current gen

I had one of these and it was great. However, in the past year Comcast started to scramble all their channels, so this stopped working for me. As others have said make sure your basic cable is unscrambled, else it will be useless (you can still use this with a OTA digital antenna of course).

ArtieLange said:   I got the one that has cable card support and I love it. Could not be happier.
  Which one has cable card support?

This is the 3 tuner model that has Cable Card Support. It has been on sale lately for $99
NewEgg Link

neosiv said:   I had one of these and it was great. However, in the past year Comcast started to scramble all their channels, so this stopped working for me. As others have said make sure your basic cable is unscrambled, else it will be useless (you can still use this with a OTA digital antenna of course).
It's been this way for awhile with Time Warner (most channels scrambled).  That is very disappointing to hear, as I was actually excited yesterday to hear Comcast might acquire Time Warner simply for the fact that we might get our channels unscrambled again.  Comcast used to flag Copy Freely to all non-premium channels (HBO, etc...), which allows you to record television and watch it on any device, so this product would work great.  The Copy Once flag that these cable companies appear to be going to to requires you to encrypt the recordings so they can only play back from the same device or a registered extender of that device (ie Xbox 360 or Ceton Echo).  The FCC mandates that all OTA networks are flagged Copy Freely, but allows cable companies to do what they choose with all other channels.  I doubt this thing will work for Copy Once channels without a cablecard, or other CableLabs-certified decryption hardware.

If you want to use this to record cable TV, make sure you look up/call your provider to determine how they flag their broadcasts.  

futurer said:   no M-CableCard support, but good for OTA if any provider still supports it.
Not sure what you mean "if any provider still supports it"???

OTA is, well, Over The Air, it has nothing to do with any provider. AFAIK, the local stations aren't going to stop broadcasting anytime soon. 

mistadeal said:   
neosiv said:   I had one of these and it was great. However, in the past year Comcast started to scramble all their channels, so this stopped working for me. As others have said make sure your basic cable is unscrambled, else it will be useless (you can still use this with a OTA digital antenna of course).
It's been this way for awhile with Time Warner (most channels scrambled).  That is very disappointing to hear, as I was actually excited yesterday to hear Comcast might acquire Time Warner simply for the fact that we might get our channels unscrambled again.  Comcast used to flag Copy Freely to all non-premium channels (HBO, etc...), which allows you to record television and watch it on any device, so this product would work great.  The Copy Once flag that these cable companies appear to be going to to requires you to encrypt the recordings so they can only play back from the same device or a registered extender of that device (ie Xbox 360 or Ceton Echo).  The FCC mandates that all OTA networks are flagged Copy Freely, but allows cable companies to do what they choose with all other channels.  I doubt this thing will work for Copy Once channels without a cablecard, or other CableLabs-certified decryption hardware.

If you want to use this to record cable TV, make sure you look up/call your provider to determine how they flag their broadcasts.  

I'm really hoping that Comcast takes over TWC also. I've had alot of trouble with them since they took over our old cable company called Insight. Insight was great.

It was a cheaper hot deal at Newest just 2 wks ago.

mistadeal said:   
It's been this way for awhile with Time Warner (most channels scrambled).  That is very disappointing to hear, as I was actually excited yesterday to hear Comcast might acquire Time Warner simply for the fact that we might get our channels unscrambled again.  

The Time Warner system here actually increased the number of channels it offers on QAM. My HDHomeRun Dual gets about 2 dozen channels when connected to TWC. This is a big YMMV.

EXPIRED 1/17/2014 at midnight.

The price on this gizmo at NE varies day to day. It often is $90 plus $9 shipping, sometimes $69 free shipping, and on occasion $59 free shipping. Same with the prime, which I got for $99 FS because in Fairfield County there is no OTA and all cable is encrypted.

The next generation has been postponed several times, and the transcoding version is now listed as OOS. All very confusing.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014