• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
As we get closer and closer to the tax time, we're going to see a lot more deals on Tax Software & E-Filing coming in and out of the thread. I figured I would go ahead and try to round everything up in one post to make it easier for everyone to sort through. I've previously just gone to H&R Block and just had them do my taxes for me, but I believe this year I'm going to try and do this all on my own. Below are deals that I have found on Fatwallet and just looking around different sites. So any tips for me and anyone else who may just be starting up would be highly appreciated. Mods, feel free to sticky this, as I will be updating this thread as much as I can!

I did notice that Fat Wallet is currently doing a contest for the Turbo Tax Federal/ State Software Deluxe Edition. I'm going to provide the link to anyone else, besides myself, who wants to see if they could win it. Instructions for entry are posted lower on the page. Good luck! Fat Wallet Contest Link 

*Please update the Quick Summary with any new tax software deals you come across or remove expired/ OOS ones. Thanks all for the help!

Tax Resource Threads:
2013 Free File Taxes Your AGI $58,000 or Less - Various Programs (Thanks to terriprg)
Turbo Tax's Software Download on KingDeals4U Appears to be Scam (Thanks to tracksupr)
FAFSA Tax Input for College Students for 2014-2015 School Year (Thanks to Wizard83)
Tax Deductibles Volunteering Vacations (Thanks to mooingmooseman)

Turbo Tax Deals:
TurboTax Deluxe for $19.99(Orig: $29.99) (One state e-file included) EXTENDED through 2/21 
  (thanks pradeepkrcv )
Free Federal Filing: Intuit TurboTax Freedom Edition (Thanks to terriprg)
Free Access to Turbo Tax 2013 Preparation for State Farm Customers (Thanks to CSREwallet)
Win A Deluxe Edition of Turbo Tax's Federal/State Software (Thanks to akmckenna)
Amazon: $45 Off TurboTax + Quicken Additional for Amazon Prime ($35 Non Prime) (Thanks to rhornor)
Costco: $10 Off Online or B&M (Thanks to SlimTim)
Amazon: Turbo Tax Deluxe Federal + EFile + State - $40 w/ FS for Amazon Prime (Thanks to johnny98)
Amazon: 10% Gift Card Using Refund (Thanks to xelint)
Amazon: $10 Off Home & Business w/ Prime (Thanks to Rookie 555)
50% Off Federal Onine (5 Days Only)  (Thanks to Hooginer)

H&R Block Deals:
Free Federal Edition Tax Filing (Thanks to terriprg)
State Tax Filing for Non Qualifying Customers - $14.99 
Simple Tax Basic Edition - $19.99 
Investors/ Homeowners Deluxe Edition - $29.99 
Amazon: $24.99 - $64.99 

Quicken Deals:
Amazon: $45 Off TurboTax + Quicken Additional for Amazon Prime ($35 Non Prime) (Thanks to rhornor)

Multiple Deals:
Office Depot FAR Software & Tax Software Purchase Rebates for 2014 (Thanks to bpvh)
Amazon: Save Up to $25 on Tax Software & Norton Bundles 

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
TurboTax
See TurboTax coupons that earn 7.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
H&R Block
See H&R Block coupons that earn 10.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
TaxAct
See TaxAct coupons that earn 7.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Tax Time
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
thanks! you saved me some dinero

i also had the email with the offer, but i always check FW...i seldom check my inbox

morecowbell (Apr. 15, 2014 @ 9:26p) |

thanks for confirming this deal is still working . and thanks to the owner of this link

jhielannie (Apr. 16, 2014 @ 11:02p) |

oh,great thanks!

pandora210257 (Apr. 26, 2014 @ 12:08a) |

Tax Resource Threads:
2013 Free File Taxes Your AGI $58,000 or Less - Various Programs (Thanks to terriprg)
Turbo Tax's Software Download on KingDeals4U Appears to be Scam (Thanks to tracksupr)
FAFSA Tax Input for College Students for 2014-2015 School Year (Thanks to Wizard83)
Tax Deductibles Volunteering Vacations (Thanks to mooingmooseman)
Choosing a Tax Accountant (Thanks to DrToxic)
Taxes for a First-Time Landlord (Thanks to psychtobe)
Effective Tax Rates: 2013 Edition (Thanks to jd2010)

Turbo Tax Deals:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/lp/ty13/aff/tmp_5_disc.htm
Turbo Tax 12% Off Select Tax Software
Free Federal Filing: Intuit Turbo Tax Freedom Edition (Thanks to terriprg)
Free Access to Turbo Tax 2013 Preperation for State Farm Customers (Thanks to CSREwallet)
Win A Deluxe Edition of Turbo Tax's Federal/State Software (Thanks to akmckenna)
Amazon: $45 Off TurboTax + Quicken Additional for Amazon Prime ($35 Non Prime) (Thanks to rhornor)
Costco: $10 Off Online or B&M (Thanks to SlimTim)
Amazon: Turbo Tax Deluxe Federal + EFile + State - $40 w/ FS for Amazon Prime (Thanks to johnny98)
Amazon: 10% Gift Card Using Refund (Thanks to xelint)
Amazon: $10 Off Home & Business w/ Prime (Thanks to Rookie 555)
Newegg: Intuit Quicken & Turbo Tax Deluxe Federal + State - $63.94
Turbo Tax Delux - $19.99 (One State e-File Included) (Thanks to pradeepkrcv)

H&R Block Deals:
Free Federal Edition Tax Filing (Thanks to terriprg)
State Tax Filing for Non Qualifying Customers - $14.99
Simple Tax Basic Edition - $19.99
Investors/ Homeowners Deluxe Edition - $29.99
Amazon: $24.99 - $64.99
Best Buy: H&R Block Basic Tax Software for Mac/Windows - $19.99 w/ FS
Rakuten: H&R Block At Home Tax Software Basic + State - $34.17 Shipped
Gold Box Deal of the Day: Save up to 56% on Select H&R Block Tax Products

Tip if you received an H&R Block Loyalty Disc:
Save an extra $5 by exiting from the product selection screen before making a choice. An offer for an additional $5 off the discounted prices should appear.

-------------------------------

Quicken Deals:
Amazon: Additional $45 Off Turbo Tax + Quicken for Amazon Prime ($35 Non Prime) (Thanks to rhornor)
Intuit: Quicken 50% Off (Thanks to DrummerJoe)

Military Deals:
MilitaryOneSource Free Online Tax Preparation - Federal and State (H&R Block)

Other Deals:
efile.com: $7 Off State Tax Filings - Use coupon code "SAVE28"
efile.com: 28% Off Any Purchase- Use coupon code "FATWALLET28"
123Print: 25% Off Tax Forms - Use coupon code "TAX25"
Free Start to Online Tax Filing
TaxHawk: Free Federal Tax Turn or $12.95 State Tax Return
TaxAct has free, $12.99 deluxe fed, and $17.99 for both federal and state efile editions. It typically goes on sale as the tax season ages. They also offer 20% discounts when pre-registering for next year's taxes. Can get TaxAct for federal and state for combined $11.98 as described here.
TaxSlayer; free
FreeTaxUSA; free
MyFreeTaxes; free for those with income <$58k

*Multiple Deals
Office Depot FAR Software & Tax Software Purchase Rebates for 2014 (Thanks to bpvh)
Amazon: Save Up to $25 on Tax Software & Norton Bundles

Feel free to post anymore deals you find!

Just a reminder to everyone, April 15th is the last day that you are able to file your taxes!
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

labboypro said:   
slervik said:   Turbo Tax Deals:
Free Access to Turbo Tax 2013 Preparation for State Farm Customers (Thanks to evercl92)

OP by CSREWallet is here http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1326423/ 

Thanks for calling that out, I must have over looked it. I'm gonna go swap that out.

Discover Card deal. Save up to $20 on TurboTax. Visit TurboTax.com/go/disc2 .

I knew I should have got the HR Block Premium for $31.99 on the Amazon Gold Box Deal... now it's $49. I guess I'll just wait it out.

Canucklehead said:   I knew I should have got the HR Block Premium for $31.99 on the Amazon Gold Box Deal... now it's $49. I guess I'll just wait it out.
  Yea, I'm sure there will be more affordable prices on it.

slervik said:   

You bet. How about free for Deluxe and $25 for Premium, both with State? See http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1329140/ 

Great, thanks.

eurekaa said:   
slervik said:   

You bet. How about free for Deluxe and $25 for Premium, both with State? See http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1329140/

Sounds like a great deal..I think I'm going to look into that. Thanks for letting us know!

Great work OP

ArtieLange said:   Great work OP
  Thanks

When it comes to tax preparation software, a savings of $5 to $10 is nothing compared to the costs associated with user-error or missed deductions. One should use the software that is most effective at producing an error-free return. Personally, I would not recommend using any web-based service. Tax returns should be completed on software that is located on the users computer, not on a distant server. All tax software should allow the user to prepare & print unlimited returns. Many over the web services will only allow preparation of one return, yet by spending less than $5 more on the download version one can prepare an unlimited amount of returns.

The big name is not always the best. Until self-preparation became popular, H&R Block was the big name. Last time I went to H&R Block it cost me over 1% of my income. Not cool. Then TurboTax came around and became the household name. They're not so great either and their practices are somewhat deceptive. The advertised "free federal e-file" is only for those who are eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit and have an income of $30,000 or less. The free TurboTax Audit Support is merely there to offer a false sense of security. It is not the same thing as Audit Defense. Most tax preparation software will offer something like an Audit Defense product. Audit Defense is basically audit insurance, providing legal defense if you get audited. Just like any other insurance or "accident-protection" plan, carefully consider your risk level when making a purchase decision.

If the state does not require e-file, why pay extra? If getting your refund a few weeks earlier is worth $10 then go for it. If you can wait for the refund, or are paying tax, a postage stamp and envelope will save you as much as any of the coupons above. Many people pay extra for the e-file solely out of fear. They are worried the return will possibly be lost in the mail or not processed properly. That's just silly. The digital scanners at USPS and IRS work just fine. The legible address and properly affixed postage is up to you.

All of that being said, my choice is the download version of TaxAct Ultimate Bundle for $21.99 which includes one federal e-file or $28.99 which includes 5 federal e-files. TaxAct also offers a free federal e-file.

TaxACT has been the second most visited online destination for tax preparation services for the last six consecutive tax years.
TaxACT offers five guarantees - Maximum Refund Pledge, Accuracy, Price Lock, Money-Back and Satisfaction.

Learn more S=about TaxAct on Google+]https://plus.google.com/+taxact/about[/S].

Fidelity offers $20 off online and desktop, even if not a customer
https://www.fidelity.com/taxes/turbotax-discount/overview

Freetaxusa.com is Free Federal & e-file, state is $12.95. Use code FREETAXUSA25 to take 25% off the price to bring the total for your Federal, state & e-file down to $9.71.

I used them last year and found them to be fine like pretty much any other online filer, hence them mailing me the 25% off this year.

Agree with Phatty, TaxACT has been the best software for me at least. For 2011 I bought all three to actually experience the difference and TaxACT gave me $900 more than TurboTax and H&R.

Another vote for Taxact, been using it for many years.

zoeyfactor said:   Agree with Phatty, TaxACT has been the best software for me at least. For 2011 I bought all three to actually experience the difference and TaxACT gave me $900 more than TurboTax and H&R.
  That is not possible, your taxes will not change by using different software.  However, the packages my ask you questions in different ways causing you to get more or less deductions/credits/etc by your answers, I'll believe that.  However, $900 is a lot of difference assuming you made $50K to $75K like most families.

jschuman said:   
zoeyfactor said:   Agree with Phatty, TaxACT has been the best software for me at least. For 2011 I bought all three to actually experience the difference and TaxACT gave me $900 more than TurboTax and H&R.
  That is not possible, your taxes will not change by using different software.  However, the packages my ask you questions in different ways causing you to get more or less deductions/credits/etc by your answers, I'll believe that.  However, $900 is a lot of difference assuming you made $50K to $75K like most families.

I can't attest to his/her savings from TaxACT, but I can comment on my own TurboTax experience. I had a $3000 loss carryover that TurboTax missed. Yes, that is $3000 from security sales. Not sure why it was missed, and I never received a response from TurboTax when I asked. Only because I carefully reviewed my own return before e-filing it did I notice the missing $3k.

Also, FWIW, TaxACT is from the same people who once worked for Parsons Technology. Vendors of some of the earlier DOS-based tax programs. 

I love this thread except it reminds me I have to pay taxes.

Raistlin said:   Another vote for Taxact, been using it for many years.
  I kept finding myself spending $10-20 or more on TurboTax fed file because I was concerned about some stock sales.  I decided to jump ship to TaxACT and have been impressed.  This year I had an offer in May to "lock in" $7.95 for the TaxACT Deluxe edition and did so.  If I can get deluxe editions for under $10 a year and it imports last year's info (the big drawback to TaxFreedom project options like TurboTax free) I'm a happy camper.

Neilium said:   I love this thread except it reminds me I have to pay taxes.
  I know what you mean! It keeps getting closer and closer too. Ugh.

I know!

I have bought from this guy 3 years in a row now. Best prices I have seen on all the software across the board. E-mail him and ask for 10.00 off and he will usually do it.

Just got Home and Business Turbox Tax 2013 for 45.99 Cant touch that price anywhere.

http://www.cheapitemsonline.com/Products.html

Supercomputers said:   I have bought from this guy 3 years in a row now. Best prices I have seen on all the software across the board. E-mail him and ask for 10.00 off and he will usually do it.

Just got Home and Business Turbox Tax 2013 for 45.99 Cant touch that price anywhere.

Doesn't accept Paypal????  Hmmmmmm...

Supercomputers said:   I have bought from this guy 3 years in a row now. Best prices I have seen on all the software across the board. E-mail him and ask for 10.00 off and he will usually do it.

Thanks for sharing this info!  I've been outbid so often on eBay its getting crazy. I'll asked for $10 off and will purchase at that price from the site you provided.

Lucky for me, my taxes are pretty simple, so I just use TurboTax online...
I paid $25 or so last year for them to also do my state and city taxes..

EDIT - this year, it was only $15 to do my state and city taxes.. Federal taxes were free..

BUT, when I was just about to print out my city taxes to mail in, I got a phone call.. after the call I had been logged
out by TurboTax, and could not get back to that point. I was on the phone with them for More than an hour.. it's a bug that they
haven't told me how to fix yet.. (there was a digital copy of my taxes that I had, but the City taxes had 'DO NOT FILE' in big bold
letters across each page! So I couldn't mail that in).....

Will Tax Act import previous returns from other programs?

over the past few years, most software lets you enter the data and get the calculations without paying. I used freetaxusa.com and compared it against TurboTax and H&R (aka TaxCut) The freetaxusa found everything they did and was more accurate.

Excel1040.com for 2013 is now available. I used this last year after reading a post about it here on FW. It's donation-ware and I liked it a lot. Reminds me of the old AmTax days. Not much handholding, just the forms ma'am. Not for efilers.

I've used TaxAct, Block and Turbo over the past few years. I have no complaints about any of them. I just use whichever one I can get for the least cost.

I've always done my own taxes, but now I rely on Turbo Tax - fast and accurate without the face-to-face experience.

is there a tax software that is good for business (self-employed)...also is there any free software for printing w-2/w3....i got a friend that only has 1 employee and every year they have to buy a whole packet at Office Max...

You gotta be careful with any tax software.  For bread-and-butter stuff, they probably get it right.  But there was a $4K error in the one year I used TurboTax.  That stupid software almost cost me $4,000!!!  My point being you need to still understand and look at the forms to be sure stuff is right.  Another year I found a straight-up math error.  Amazing!

I will say that one year I forgot to include some stock stuff and the IRS caught it.  Doing an amended return on tax software was so easy that it made every year's cost totally worth it.

imnotsanenow said:   over the past few years, most software lets you enter the data and get the calculations without paying. I used freetaxusa.com and compared it against TurboTax and H&R (aka TaxCut) The freetaxusa found everything they did and was more accurate.

What does "more accurate" mean?  Math is math.  Either you're saying TurboTax and TaxCut have bad math (which I have seen), or you're spouting hyperbole.  You've seen those other two leading programs calculate math wrong?

cyfan said:   You gotta be careful with any tax software.... My point being you need to still understand and look at the forms to be sure stuff is right. 

Absolutely!  You should do a "dry run" by yourself with at least the 1040 to give yourself a general idea of what outcome to expect.

I've been using Turbo Tax online since I bought my house in 2007. It does import from the previous year's taxes and it saves in on their server. I also download everything to my hard drive at home so I have a "hard copy". Also, the free ones are mainly those that are using the EZ form (e.g. 1040EZ).

cyfan said:   What does "more accurate" mean?  Math is math.  Either you're saying TurboTax and TaxCut have bad math (which I have seen), or you're spouting hyperbole.  You've seen those other two leading programs calculate math wrong?

Besides math, there's also 'interpretation of rules' to consider.  

Having said that, I don't know whether/if these programs significantly differ in their interpretation of rules, but I do know that "accurate" is a superlative, and so shouldn't include the modifier 'more,'

Neilium said:   I love this thread except it reminds me I have to pay taxes.
  No, you have to pay to pay taxes. 

no luck on $10 discount.  here is the standard response:
 We look forward to supporting your current needs. Our best price is as currently shown on our web site.    Do you need the product right away? We always come out early in the year with our prices at it's highest point and then it comes down over time. As more and more competition presents itself in the market, price pressure forces the price to comes down over time. Please continue to check our web site (http://www.cheapitemsonline.com/Products.html) frequently as I am sure that you will see the price will eventually get to the point where it will fit the price budget you have in mind. If, on the other hand, you need the product right away, you will need to pay a higher price today as you will find that you cannot buy our products today at prices less than our price anywhere. If you do we would love to know about it as we would be happy to meet or beat any price you find online. GIC Properties, LLC

I responded that I'm in no hurry. He responded that everyone gets the same deal.

Skipping 112 Messages...
oh,great thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014