• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Newegg has the Changhong 50" LCD on sale for $399. Has a 5 egg rating with 150+ reviewers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889623018

Member Summary

Changhong 50" LED TV
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Insider information or mere speculation on your part ?

Eventually, the the Sun will burn out and I don't think there'll b... (more)

HTuttle (Feb. 10, 2014 @ 2:12p) |

Or it will go up by $50.....just as I was about to pull the trigger.  Might be a good deal at $449 but now I'll feel lik... (more)

burningapathyriffic (Feb. 10, 2014 @ 5:57p) |

Thanks for this. Anyone have any other tips to maximize the picture or sound quality? Thanks!

skyracer3 (Feb. 16, 2014 @ 7:22p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Changhong? Doesn't roll off the tongue like Sony or Samsung! Not sure about this brand at all, anyone have any thoughts?

I'd get this were I in the market for a living room TV.

Bought one for my mom just before Christmas. This product is fantastic! 5 HDTV's in the house, and this one has the best picture by far, even superior to my 50" Panasonic. Colors are so bright and picture is crystal clear. If the need arises again, I will not hesitate to buy another one. Also, this company has been in the electronics business in China for 20 years and are very highly thought of.

I looks good from the reviews but it was cheaper few weeks/months ago (unfortunately Newegg kicked out camelcamel so cant say when and by how much cheaper but price ~$360 shows up in reviews)

120hz is like lg's 120hz, meaning not true 120hz

Hey, just a note..it says LED in the title, but LCD in the OP.

slervik said:   Hey, just a note..it says LED in the title, but LCD in the OP.
 yes, and,  what does one have to do with the other?

This is junk, don't believe anyone on here.

polishdreamer said:   This is junk, don't believe anyone on here.
  Any proof you would like us to refer to?

Wait. Is this a *genuine* Changhong? I'm really worried about getting a knock-off. Can't trust the gray market nowadays.

canusa said:   

The name.

Not sure we follow?? More details would be greatly appreciated.

I know that several of such Chinese manufacturers are outsourced for making TVs that carry the known brands.

polishdreamer said:   
canusa said:   

The name.

Not sure we follow?? More details would be greatly appreciated.

I know that several of such Chinese manufacturers are outsourced for making TVs that carry the known brands.

slervik said:   Hey, just a note..it says LED in the title, but LCD in the OP.
That's because it's an LED lit LCD TV, just like every other one.

So please share your knowledge of those.

jcerven said:   So please share your knowledge of those.
My knowledge reveals that it works remarkably similar to all the other LED TVs on the market, and that a lot of people aren't above publicly whining that a $399 50" television doesn't have a fancy enough brand name for them.

I mean, what are you needing to know? Click the link and see what Newegg has to say about the product. Read the reviews. That's going to provide incredibly more useful info than what a single stranger on the Internet tells you.

I bought one for use in retail lobby waiting room during black Friday. I was a bit scared going in but once I got it I was very impressed. Build quality appears excellent (not counting remote) and picture is beautiful. Been running about 12 hours a day since then with no problems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changhong 

Sichuan Changhong Electric Co. (Changhong) is a consumer electronics company based in MianyangChina and founded on 1958. It is the second largest manufacturer of televisions in China.
In 2004, 90% of the television sets exported from China to the United States were made by Changhong.  In 2010, they made a household 3D TV which is both sold locally and exported.

http://www.changhongglobal.com/egdch/9434.htm

Changhong = Apex Digital
Which I think is pretty much out of business, They made all the Apex Tv's so I would think the quality would be the same as Apex Tv's

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/28/technology/28iht-yuan.html 

speedy9990 said:   Changhong = Apex Digital which I think is pretty much out of business

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/28/technology/28iht-yuan.html

Above article was published: Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Story of Apex Digital:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_Digital

Contrast Ratio 4000:1 ??

BigWhy said:   Contrast Ratio 4000:1 ??
  Yes?

There is a Combo available which adds 5x 6' HDMI cables for the same price ($399.99 shipped). Sure, HDMI cables are ubiquitous, but free is free.

4000:1 is an excellent contrast ratio for an LCD TV. Plasmas and high-end LCD's can go higher by improving the black level but most of the manufacturers' contrast ratio claims are bogus.

Bought one for my parents recently. Works great - surely an upgrade from their old mitshubishi projection. Deal was $360 + tx free ship, plus $40 for 2 yr warranty. deal now not as good but not bad. Worried initially, but Newegg reviews reassuring.

MUST RESIST!!!

I don't know where I'd put it. Bedroom? Wife would kill me in my sleep!

3D television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Disclaimer
Sichuan Changhong Electric Co. (Changhong) is a consumer electronics company based in MianyangChina and founded on 1958. It is the second largest manufacturer of televisions in China.[l=[2]]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changhong#cite_note-2[/l] In 2004, 90% of the television sets exported from China to the United States were made by Changhong.[l=[3]]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changhong#cite_note-3[/l] In 2010, they made a household 3D TV which is both sold locally and exported. 

Great value. Too bad it is only 60hz. If it was the 120hz or even the simulated 120hz I would jump on it but at 60hz it isn't great for sports or fast action.

ciszew said:   I looks good from the reviews but it was cheaper few weeks/months ago (unfortunately Newegg kicked out camelcamel so cant say when and by how much cheaper but price ~$360 shows up in reviews)
  Superbowl is in two weeks.  Look for deals in 15 days

Cheech & Chong
Disclaimer
I'm holding out for a CheCheech not a Changhong.

Every body chang hong tonight!

the 360 was with one use coupon masterpass that most people had already used.. so real cheapest is about 389$

Extremely tempting, but thinking this could just be the tip of the iceberg with Super Bowl looming.

I bought this one end of Dec, worked out to about $450 after tax and shipping from Newegg to CA. Works fine, generic TV. I mostly drive it with AppleTV.

I don't see a Headphone out Jack in the user manual.. It must have one?? right?

foamfollower said:   I don't see a Headphone out Jack in the user manual.. It must have one?? right?
  The manual I found online says it's "optional"

Pardon my ignorance, it appears to have facility for media from usb sources, anyone try this?

Where dose this brand come from?

Skipping 51 Messages...
justDave said:   
GeorgeT said:   
I wish it had more advanced picture settings like turning off "Overscan", but I'm sure this TV can produce a great picture.

Setting aspect ratio to pc mode seems to turn off overscan.

Thanks for this. Anyone have any other tips to maximize the picture or sound quality? Thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014