• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Best Buy
See Best Buy discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

NTV300-100NAS (86.59kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Good deal OP

rated:
Nah, just get chromcast

rated:
Great deal OP! The cheapest I found at Amazon is around $41.

rated:
Why not a Roku 1 or Roku LT? Seems like the added benefits of a Roku would be worth the extra bucks. Pleas chime in.

rated:
Roku 2 XS is far better than the Roku 1. It's much faster and it's able to support a LOT more apps. I prefer them both over Chromecast. I Google, but I prefer a stand-alone device that doesn't require an additional device to stream. I have no experience with NeoTV. Can anyone fill me in with comparison to the Roku 2 XS or 1? Thank you OP. I won't forget to give you green for this great deal.

rated:
soxfan2004 said:   Roku 2 XS is far better than the Roku 1. It's much faster and it's able to support a LOT more apps. I prefer them both over Chromecast. I Google, but I prefer a stand-alone device that doesn't require an additional device to stream. I have no experience with NeoTV. Can anyone fill me in with comparison to the Roku 2 XS or 1? Thank you OP. I won't forget to give you green for this great deal.
  The Roku has many more channels than NeoTV and much more capability such as PLEX as I read about here http://thecreativealternative.com/alternatives-to-cable/  they show how to get PLEX running on an old laptop you may have laying around the house. They claim their method will work for a 10 year old machine even.
I would go with Roku at this time due to PLEX and the other channels. But I suggest Roku 3 since it is the latest and greatest, along with it most likely being supported for a long time. Some channels don't work on the old Roku Gen1 boxes which is where I get this opinion from. (NBA, RedBox, PBS).

rated:
MustSav3 said:   Nah, just get chromcast
  I had to return my chromecast.  For apps that are not native, it is extremely extremely slow.  Trying to sling Netflix was painful, it skip every 2nd or 3rd frame.

rated:
Xnarg1 said:   
  I had to return my chromecast.  For apps that are not native, it is extremely extremely slow.  Trying to sling Netflix was painful, it skip every 2nd or 3rd frame.

That's your network for sure. Been using my Chromecast without any issue so far - of course I am like about 10 ft away from my G Router and perhaps that helps.

rated:

I don't mean to turn this thread into a Chromecast discusion, but I will say that it IS a cool device, but I just don't like to channel surf using my tablet or smartphone.  I feels like an unnatural and clunky solution.

Granted, my perspective on these devices probably seem overly critical because I am determined to find a good cable/satellite replacement that my wife and kids can get on board with.  Everything out there has it flaws and Roku seems to be the closest to have the best overall product today.  But everything is just so fragmented. 

rated:
mchael said:   
soxfan2004 said:   Roku 2 XS is far better than the Roku 1. It's much faster and it's able to support a LOT more apps. I prefer them both over Chromecast. I Google, but I prefer a stand-alone device that doesn't require an additional device to stream. I have no experience with NeoTV. Can anyone fill me in with comparison to the Roku 2 XS or 1? Thank you OP. I won't forget to give you green for this great deal.
  The Roku has many more channels than NeoTV and much more capability such as PLEX as I read about here http://thecreativealternative.com/alternatives-to-cable/  they show how to get PLEX running on an old laptop you may have laying around the house. They claim their method will work for a 10 year old machine even.
I would go with Roku at this time due to PLEX and the other channels. But I suggest Roku 3 since it is the latest and greatest, along with it most likely being supported for a long time. Some channels don't work on the old Roku Gen1 boxes which is where I get this opinion from. (NBA, RedBox, PBS).

How about NeoTV Prime? How does that compare to Roku 3?

rated:
Roku does not have a web browser. So you pretty much get whatever they give you.

rated:
The Roku 1 absolutely sucked trying to play 1080p (even 720p) videos through Plex. Even though I have full speed g/n network, I have a feeling it was the wireless connection that prevented the Roku from displaying the video at an acceptable quality (I was told to get the 1 from the saleguy if I had no desire to play games, but failed to mention no ethernet port).

I have 2 rooted Chromecasts, but I'm still disappointed with that until Plex playback isn't locked to their paid subscribers.

Haven't found anything that would allow my parents to ditch cable. When someone is so use to flipping through channels, along with a nice program guide, it is very difficult to find a cable/sat replacement

rated:
Wouldn't a smart blu ray player be a better option? Or does this have a lot of free useful channels that would be worth watching? If you just use Netflix and Pandora then I don't see an advantage to this over a blu ray player.

rated:
mchael said:   

I have a plex server that I stream to 3 Roku devices (2 - Roku 2 XS and a Roku 1). It works great and it's pretty easy setup. I can watch Plex from anywhere (even had a family member test streaming in Germany, didn't even buffer - but I also have a decent down/upstream). Chromecast was recently added to the supported devices for Plex too, but I have yet to tinker with it.
MeIsCheap said:   ...

I have 2 rooted Chromecasts, but I'm still disappointed with that until Plex playback isn't locked to their paid subscribers.

What advantages are there to rooting Chromecast? 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014