• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

surface
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
well it's down to $179 and in stock, just ten bucks more. Or keep waiting for another ten bucks off.

Monkeybiz (Jan. 27, 2014 @ 8:17p) |

update, just got it tonight. Decided to support PLEX one more time, bought the RT PLEX app and it works great, streaming... (more)

Monkeybiz (Jan. 31, 2014 @ 2:27a) |

how do you like it so far? It's been a week so I've had some time to adjust and tweak it. Using it as a HTPC with 1080p ... (more)

Monkeybiz (Feb. 06, 2014 @ 4:07p) |

The RT is being phased out of existence.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I know many poo poo the RT, but is this the first edition or the second edition of the the basic Surface?

Edit:  Looks like the first version.  The second version is Surface 2 (with better screen resolution and processor)

Has been offered before for this price and they seem to have plenty in stock (over 9k presently). Can also be combined with their cover offer for ~ $40 additional.

Possible buyers should also look at the most recent feedback, since a sizable chunk is negative (with some relating to this item).

These will be in your $99 clearance bins pretty soon. Microsoft is or will be dumping support for RT pretty soon.

No rush to buy just yet. I bought one before Christmas but returned it for iPad Air. Just sluggish, screen wasn't great, and lack of apps

DenverDiver said:   These will be in your $99 clearance bins pretty soon. Microsoft is or will be dumping support for RT pretty soon.

No rush to buy just yet

Microsoft just announced last week that they are committed to supporting RT devices through 2020 so that will be quite a wait.

I really wish they had WMC for RT.

Here's the thing about the bad reviews for the Surface RT: it seems that many of the folks making them didn't understand the limitations of the device to start with. There are FAR fewer apps available--even for popular things like Chrome or Firefox or VLC. And you CAN'T load "legacy" programs. If it's not designed for RT, it won't work. But here's what you CAN do--hook up multiple usb devices, including speakers, keyboards and external drives. Use Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.--AND have them all running at the same time. I bought one of these for $199 and I frickin' LOVE it. Seriously, I'd marry the damn thing if I could. But I understand that there are a lot of folks who just won't click with it.

Also--I really recommend the type cover over the touch. The touch is better than typing on the screen, but it's still miles away from the type.

cnIsfg said:   
DenverDiver said:   These will be in your $99 clearance bins pretty soon. Microsoft is or will be dumping support for RT pretty soon.

No rush to buy just yet

Microsoft just announced last week that they are committed to supporting RT devices through 2020 so that will be quite a wait.

This of course highly depends on your definition of "support". I would not expect them to do a whole lot with it. RT will be a long-forgotten (tragic) meme long before 2020.

That said, when these drop to the fire sale $99 or below (and they will), not a bad purchase. Certainly beats those $99 TouchPad's every one went nuts over.

I bought one of these for $169 a month or so ago when Microsoft dumped these to this eBay seller. It came brand new and like sweeney said above, I LOVE this thing...it's AWESOME...for $169 it can't be beat. If you are a student, you should buy immediately.

For all you Iphone/Ipad people who crap on this, until you actually try this and see all you're getting for $169, please go wait for your iphone 15 to come out.

cpabster said:   
cnIsfg said:   

No rush to buy just yet

This of course highly depends on your definition of "support". I would not expect them to do a whole lot with it. RT will be a long-forgotten (tragic) meme long before 2020.

That said, when these drop to the fire sale $99 or below (and they will), not a bad purchase. Certainly beats those $99 TouchPad's every one went nuts over.

Rumor has it that Win8R/T and Win Phone 8 are merging on the development tree-- which would be in line with how Apple develops in a unified fashion for the iPod/iPhone/iPad.

I totally appreciate that Win8 Pro (or whatever they're calling the x86/x64 build these days) is more "capable" (apps and whatnot), but I don't want a PC OS on my tablet.  I want a tablet OS on my tablet and the ARM-based R/T, once unified with Windows Phone, will have a much more promising environment and experience than one would get from using a full-featured desktop OS on a tablet.  Remember, nobody runs Lion on their iPads.

wow $499 down to $169 that is quite a price plummet. I wonder how far down the core i5 will be able to go

tdsbot said:   
Rumor has it that Win8R/T and Win Phone 8 are merging on the development tree-- which would be in line with how Apple develops in a unified fashion for the iPod/iPhone/iPad.I totally appreciate that Win8 Pro (or whatever they're calling the x86/x64 build these days) is more "capable" (apps and whatnot), but I don't want a PC OS on my tablet.  I want a tablet OS on my tablet and the ARM-based R/T, once unified with Windows Phone, will have a much more promising environment and experience than one would get from using a full-featured desktop OS on a tablet.  Remember, nobody runs Lion on their iPads.

Certainly, and I look forward to it. I mean every one has a different use case and wishes. Personally, I like the "RT" tree. I really don't need to run any legacy applications on my tablet. But a lot of folks do. And will, for some time to come. It's that damned old legacy problem that has dogged Microsoft for decades. Apple just writes it off and you either move along or get left behind...Microsoft ends up hamstrung time and again by the legacy factor. Of course, Apple is able to get away with it, because they have a much smaller group of devices and market share to capitulate to. 

tsankey said:   For all you Iphone/Ipad people who crap on this, until you actually try this and see all you're getting for $169, please go wait for your iphone 15 to come out.

Tried it and dumped it. Good enough only for web browsing and music. Not so great when you don't find any applications in the windows store.

I have one of these with the type cover. a few comments:
- quality of the device itself is excellent - screen is very good quality, type cover is really good, kickstand is great
- the fact that it has a full flash-compatible browser makes up for the missing apps to a degree. I am not a social media person other than a little facebook so I do not care if the latest recipe sharing service has an app. I use rhapsody for music, and that has an app. Plex has a very nice client, and there are app to play HD mkv videos without an issue.
- connectivity makes this IMHO the most productive tablet you can get - works with citrix flawlessly, and includes the desktop microsoft remote desktop connection app. This allows everything to work how it should (F keys, etc) in a remote session. On android and ipad it is hard to get as good a remote desktop experience. (Jump Desktop comes close). Also, you can connect to your windows network shared drives without issue. And it has microsoft office for free.

Also, it has a USB port that works with standard mice and a micro SD card slot for expanded memory

If you want to plug in an external display, the micro HDMI slot works just like in desktop windows - very easy. If you are used to configuring stuff on windows, you can jump into RT's control panel and will be able to do the same. 

So for me, I can use this to web browse, facebook, a few other apps, but I can also use it to edit office docs and as a near perfect remote desktop client with like 8-10 hr battery life. Definitely worth it for $169.

As far as the modern UI, it does take some effort to get used to it - if you pick up a windows rt or 8 tablet without reading anything about how to use windows 8 you will get frustrated with it. This is one reason why I think these tablets are tough to sell in the retail stores - someone who has no idea picks it up and has no idea how to use it and says WTF I am going to go buy an ipad.

Once you get used to is there really are some nice things about this tablet OS - easily place 2 apps on screen at once, and you can easily switch between apps with a flick from the left side of the screen. Settings, search, menus, and options are in the same place in every modern UI app - not all over the place like I think tends to happen with android apps. It acutally reminds me a bit of WebOS  (RIP)

Note that there currently is not a cisco anyconnect client though. Cisco says that windows RT does not have the proper APIs. 

Note that I own an Ipad 3 with retina and Logitech thin keyboard, and a ASUS transformer TF700T with dock as well, so I really have tried and used all 3 tablet platforms. What I say may not apply to everyone, but for me I end up using the surface RT more than the other tabs because it allows me to keep up with work seemlessly while "playing" on the tablet side. 

Can these things run the 8.1 update?

This comes with MS Office 2013 RT. Missing a few features of full blown Office, but most people will not notice the difference. Difference here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-2013-r...

ryansteele said:   Can these things run the 8.1 update?
Of course.  

gapost said:   This comes with MS Office 2013 RT. Missing a few features of full blown Office, but most people will not notice the difference. Difference here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-2013-r...
  Just don't make any money with it As sold, Office 2013 RT is not designed for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities. However, organizations who purchase commercial use rights or have a commercial license to Office 2013 suites that include Outlook can use Office 2013 RT for commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities. 

Well, MSFT just reported earnings today, and apparently sales for the Surface 'doubled'. No indication if those are from the 1st gen or 2nd gen, or RT vs non RT. I would think that majority would be from the 1st gen RT that were put on blowout sales. Anyway, more Sales is a good thing for the end users as far as Support goes. Why Microsoft doesn't make a big deal out of the Surface Desktop (not Metro) IE browser, I have no idea. That alone closes the gap on apps and allows better multi tasking (listen to Spotify and browse websites at the same time).

In for one....at this price why not play with it....

sluggish??? lol!!! Trying to spend too much money iProducts

Ordered one for 182$ with tax just to enter the world of tablet...

Subtotal US $169.00
Sales tax US $12.68
Total US $181.68

Sold out? I just got one after watching this guys vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYf5MWyTn8&feature=youtu.be

Iam confused about the reviews. Some are saying it is wonderful and some are trashing it.

pal09 said:   Iam confused about the reviews. Some are saying it is wonderful and some are trashing it.
  You get that with almost any product.  If you are referring to my previous post, it was more in regards to the seller than the item.  As for the item, you need to research if the features (and differences) compared to other tablets..is what you need from this unit.

It's fairly trivial to "jailbreak" one of these with the original Win8 install and run a number of apps on the desktop side of the house.
Microsoft removed that capability in the 8.1 update, so while you do get a better experience with the OS, you are limited in your ability to run apps that aren't Metro, er, Modern.

Monkeybiz said:   Sold out? I just got one after watching this guys vids

The video captures many of the reasons why I like Windows RT. It won't ever replace my desktop because I am a developer, but I *love* my RT devices!

One thing not mentioned was that the RT devices are very resistant to viruses for a variety of reasons. Perfect for my aging parents who seem to have a knack for installing viruses and malware onto their computers! The *sole* downside that I have found is the lack of iTunes support. That doesn't affect me, but does affect my son who initially wanted one of these devices. No iTunes was a deal breaker for him.

gaffer said:   Well, MSFT just reported earnings today, and apparently sales for the Surface 'doubled'. No indication if those are from the 1st gen or 2nd gen, or RT vs non RT. I would think that majority would be from the 1st gen RT that were put on blowout sales. Anyway, more Sales is a good thing for the end users as far as Support goes. Why Microsoft doesn't make a big deal out of the Surface Desktop (not Metro) IE browser, I have no idea. That alone closes the gap on apps and allows better multi tasking (listen to Spotify and browse websites at the same time).
  The Christmas sales hit the sweet spot with Surface tablets hitting the sub $200 price range. If Micro Center could have had more inventory, they probably would have been able to sell as many as they could have gotten for the $179 surface/keyboard combo they had on BF. If MS can *somehow* get this product to a $200 price point by using ads like the Kindle or by simply ramping up production numbers and taking a loss on hardware but making it up through the app store, this thing could kill iPad sales as the product is far more versatile out of the box.

I was blown away watching this video. It is much more powerful than I thought!!
https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=H7FUherhyvI 

Got a refurb (it looked new) with KB for $199 on eBay deal 3 months ago.  Sold it after a month.  Can see why there are countless refurb deal as it does SUCK and people return it in droves or sell it.

The good - solid feeling device, awesome screen, free office including Outlook

Now the bad - RT OS (not Win 8 and cannot run Windows software), lame touch screen Win 8 user interface, MSFT probably won't support the lame RT OS after couple of years, etc

Count on spending more $$$ for the Surface KB as price really is not hot when MSFT was unloading new one (based on condition and warranty expiration) re-packaged as refurb with KB for $199.

dealselector said:   

I was blown away watching this video. It is much more powerful than I thought!!
https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=H7FUherhyvI

Sounds like paid MSFT fanboy to me.

Anyway it's another hardware disaster for MSFT... 

I used to work for MSFT Hardwares and here are some hardware dumpsters they rather have you forget...

I used to work at MSFT as Hardware PM. 

History of Microsoft’s Hardware Misadventures Garbage Bins.

1.  Talking Teletubbies, Barney, Arthur, DW – Hard to believe but MSFT ventured into interactive stuffed animal market in the late 90’s.  Stories abound with MSFT test labs haunted by these dolls talking away when tested for reliability.  Also came with software and peripheral to connect it to PC.

2.  LCD Touch screen remote (with Harman) – Chalk it up to another exorbitantly priced late 90’s hardware remote control developed with Harman with touch screen LCD.  Bulky.  Guess who’s the top dog in remote?  Logitech via purchase of Harmony remote.

3.  PC speaker (with Philips) – It was actually very good speakers but like the Harman remote exorbitantly priced late 90’s hardware.  Guess who’s the top dog in PC speakers?  Logitech via purchase of Labtec.

4. 900 GHz Wireless phone – Yes it was for home use and hooked to Win 95/98 PC to access the voice mail function.  It was OK phone but another exorbitantly priced late 90’s hardware.

5.  Sidewinder game pads, joysticks and wheels – Pulled out of market in 2002.  Logitech’s Wingman is still on the market.

6.  Wifi router, USB and PCI cards – Pulled out of market in 2003 as could not compete.  Besides it was rebadged SMC products.

7.  Webcam – Almost launched it in 2000 but killed it before mass production began.  Black model had built-in microphone and white only had camera.  MSFT re-entered the market few year ago well after Logitech and Creative dominated the market.  Guess who’s the top dog in Webcam?  Logitech of course.

8.  Photoviwer with floppy disk – Launched in 2002 with a floppy drive!  Transfer digital photos to 2.5” floppy and view it on TV via standalone hardware with remote.

9.  Zune – RIP.  1st version was rebadged Toshiba Gigabit.  Actually a decent hardware but the Ipod wanna be’s music download service went down with it.  This is the 1st time tried to compete with Apple and LOST.

10. Soon RIP is the Tablet Surface as the XP tablet laptop was a failure when it came out 10 yrs ago.  Now MSFT is pissing off the PC hardware customers by charging them $70 for the Win 8 OS when Android is FREE not to mention direct competition.  Just shows how desperate MSFT is as the real enemy was not GOOG afterall but old nemesis AAPL.

MSFT has been trying to get into the phone market since 2001 with Pocket PC OS and FAILED miserably.  I still have a shirt and a hat which states "SAY NO TO NOKIA" - LOL from 2003....

BPH789 said:   Can see why there are countless refurb deal as it does SUCK and people return it in droves or sell it.

Ya, I noted quite the number of refurb's too. ~ 9k in this one and I believe at least 18k in a recent one.  Seems like a lot...but maybe it isn't. 

ViveLeRoi said:   
 The *sole* downside that I have found is the lack of iTunes support. That doesn't affect me, but does affect my son who initially wanted one of these devices. No iTunes was a deal breaker for him.

That sounds like a feature to me. Itunes is the worst software I have ever had the displeasure of using.  

GatorLex said:   
ViveLeRoi said:   
 The *sole* downside that I have found is the lack of iTunes support. That doesn't affect me, but does affect my son who initially wanted one of these devices. No iTunes was a deal breaker for him.

That sounds like a feature to me. Itunes is the worst software I have ever had the displeasure of using.  

That's how I feel about it as well, but he has an iPhone and an iPod and he didn't like the idea of having to sync them with the Mac mini in my office or one of the Windows computers that was designated for family use. For someone who must have a specific piece of unsupported software, unless they are willing to go the remote desktop route, it can be a deal breaker.

BPH789 said:   I used to work at MSFT as Hardware PM. 

[.. deleted for brevity]
 MSFT has been trying to get into the phone market since 2001 with Pocket PC OS and FAILED miserably.  I still have a shirt and a hat which states "SAY NO TO NOKIA" - LOL from 2003....

...and yet when they get it right, they REALLY get it right. Xbox 360?  I suppose we could go about listing all of Apples failures too such as the Lisa and the Newton but it seems that Apple fan boys remember such products not with shame but rather by saying that they were "ahead of their time", completely ignoring all the times Microsoft has been ahead of its time. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011483/the-good-bad-and-ugly-his...

ViveLeRoi said:   
GatorLex said:   
ViveLeRoi said:   

That's how I feel about it as well, but he has an iPhone and an iPod and he didn't like the idea of having to sync them with the Mac mini in my office or one of the Windows computers that was designated for family use. For someone who must have a specific piece of unsupported software, unless they are willing to go the remote desktop route, it can be a deal breaker.

Same here. I hate ITUNES even though I own an Iphone and IPOD. And I own Apple stock too. But can't stand ITUNE. Co-workers said they can't stand ITUNE either. Don't know why people like ITUNE. Give Apple Marketing department a big raise

ViveLeRoi said:   
BPH789 said:   I used to work at MSFT as Hardware PM. 

[.. deleted for brevity]

...and yet when they get it right, they REALLY get it right. Xbox 360?  I suppose we could go about listing all of Apples failures too such as the Lisa and the Newton but it seems that Apple fan boys remember such products not with shame but rather by saying that they were "ahead of their time", completely ignoring all the times Microsoft has been ahead of its time. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011483/the-good-bad-and-ugly-his...

Wow that pcworld slidedeck brought lot of memories!  I still have new in box sealed cordless phone (as well as same phone with clear plastic case given to team members), new in box sealed Philips speakers (excess unsold inventory and returns given to MSFT Hardware employees - grabbed a few) and Sidewinder Pro Feedback joystick with clear case (truly only handful made by Mitsumi).

You mean Xbox360 initially with ring of death failure due to overheating?  Lest we forget original Xbox was glorified PC which MSFT was losing $200 per box at introduction (I know this as an ex-insider with initial batches assembled of all the place in Flextronics Hungary with components imported from Asia).  So losing $200 per pop is success to you?

And yeah how about MSFT writing off $1 BILLION 2 quarters ago for Surface misadventure

Don't think that they sold enough of them, originally, to account for all these "refurbs".
Therefore, I believe that they are outletting these to companies to sell them in a grey market sort of way.  Many are likely NEW and just being sold as refurb.

I liked mine, but dropped it on a tile floor and it hit just perfectly on the corner and cracked the screen.  Very tempting to buy one at these low prices and swap out the HDD.
They hit $99 and it will be a no-brainer.

As has been mentioned, these are not for everyone, but if you do the research and are smart enough to know what it offers and what you really want, then, if it fits the bill for what you want, I don't think you would be upset and returning it.  However, if you are just buying on price and expecting a full PC/laptop experience, then you didn't know your research and you will be disappointed.

Skipping 25 Messages...
jinjai87 said:   Was just about to grab one but pulled the plug after realizing the priced jumped. Good deal or not, It all really depends on the users need and what it is being used for.
  how do you like it so far? It's been a week so I've had some time to adjust and tweak it. Using it as a HTPC with 1080p out to my 47" tablet. Just loving it now once I got better acquainted and control. Had to ditch the HDMI switch but that's HDCP related. 
Today I hooked up my Logitech unifying receiver with K400 keyboard w/bluetooth volume and built-in touchpad. Also paired a Logitech T400 mouse with touch/swipe win8 gestures. It's working out great but I think I'll keep my $59 Nexus 7 refurb as an android remote for my Chomecast and WDTV DNLA w?AllCast app. diggin' it baby!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014