• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Defiant 1000 Lumens LED Flashlight-HD13Q432 at The Home Depot
Disclaimer
Defiant 1000 Lumens LED Flashlight $16.98 was $27.00 @Home Depothttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1000-Lumens-LED-Flashlight-HD13Q432/...

Home Depot
Need a Home Depot coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Defiant 1000 Lumens LED Flashlight
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

•Premium Grade LED
•Highly durable aluminum construction
•High or low setting
•includes 3 D alkaline batteries

It is very unlikely that 3 D alkaline cells can supply enough wattage for even the most efficient LED to generate 1000 lumens. It would be closer to 500-600 lumens.

TheXung said:   It is very unlikely that 3 D alkaline cells can supply enough wattage for even the most efficient LED to generate 1000 lumens. It would be closer to 500-600 lumens.
  They just quote the actual LED's capability, not OTF lumens. Even at 500-600 lumens these batteries will get eaten up in no time. Lithium primaries in D-cell holders will last as long, if not more and with less weight.

Isn't there a requirement to list ANSI lumens?

This light has 3 LED's with a triple molded reflector.
3 cree XP-G2 is what some of the more informed reviewers are saying.
This is a nice light for the money.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/25706

Just picked up my light from HD,Very bright! Going out fishing later tonight to test it out, But so far I like it and might pick up 3 more.

skidmark said:   Isn't there a requirement to list ANSI lumens?
  Nope. Some even list overdriven lumen output.

fsu67 said:   Just picked up my light from HD,Very bright! Going out fishing later tonight to test it out, But so far I like it and might pick up 3 more.
  Worked real well, Will pick up more tomorrow.

Mikegadget said:   This light has 3 LED's with a triple molded reflector.

"I believe it is painted, not Anodized. All threads are poor to just passing. The plastic lens and reflector are fair to poor.As I say, great light for a novice or for the average person who wants a really bright light that will not last long on Alkaline batteries. Drawing 4 amps off Alkalines is like shooting yourself in the foot.I'm returning it to the store. I only got it to give you guys a look see."

Slickone said:   
Mikegadget said:   This light has 3 LED's with a triple molded reflector.

"I believe it is painted, not Anodized. All threads are poor to just passing. The plastic lens and reflector are fair to poor.As I say, great light for a novice or for the average person who wants a really bright light that will not last long on Alkaline batteries. Drawing 4 amps off Alkalines is like shooting yourself in the foot.I'm returning it to the store. I only got it to give you guys a look see."

A novice what?...flashlight operator?

A novice in this context does not understand the new technology in these flashlights. The readers of that forum typically are modifying flashlights changing emitters, rewiring and making mechanical changes for better battery options. This is not like changing a light bulb. I will add that when this review was written the light was $30. How low does the price have to go to make it a hot deal ? For many this might outperform anything they have now for brightness and battery life.

If you have small kids at home it won't matter what modifications you make to extend battery life. They will find them, leave them on and kill the batteries faster than you can spell LED.

I will suggest that in your case any flashlight will suffer the same fate in your household. Therefore you should abandon any pursuit of performance in a device like this and go for the cheapest piece of dung you can find and be happy with the toy it becomes for them. This light could become a liability because they could use it as a weapon and blind you with it or worse blind themselves, their siblings or friends. To minimize your risk you should refrain from purchasing anything harmful that you cannot control from these mischievous hellions.

This is down to $2 now, the batteries are worth more than that !

I can't find it available at a store near me.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.