• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

The Best Carry On Luggage | The Wirecutter
Disclaimer
Have been waiting for this one. $446 yesterday but $357 today, and if you sign up for the newsletter (here) you get 20% off. Free shipping and Prime eligible. Best carry-on per thewirecutter.com (review)

Link to Alpha

Edit: Looks like the above link is actually for the original Alpha which has been criticized for its tendency to tip over. Try calling them (1-888-280-3321) for a possible $50 back (thanks gd78).

Member Summary

luggage
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
As to size, this doesn't hold what my Eagle Creek Carry on holds. I can fit a pair of ski boots, helmet, goggles, ski pa... (more)

rich10 (Feb. 24, 2014 @ 8:24a) |

The Alpha 2 is officially in stock. I got a shipping confirmation (they honored the $286 price!)

gd78 (Mar. 22, 2014 @ 11:51p) |

Costco has an amazing carry on compliant spinner for $99

RunnerGerl (Mar. 23, 2014 @ 2:38p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

booklover said:   Have been waiting for this one. $446 yesterday but $357 today, and if you sign up for the newsletter (here) you get 20% off. Free shipping and Prime eligible. Best carry-on per thewirecutter.com (review)

Link

Wow, this is an unbelievable deal on what is considered to be the best travel bag out there. Looks like Amazon matched Tumi's sale price they've got going on right now but the 20% coupon makes it even sweeter. Alpha's rarely go on sale so I'm wondering if they're about to update the line. Even still it's a screaming deal.

Update: Looks like Tumi did in fact redesign the Alpha line. The new one is called Alpha 2 but the model numbers remain the same. You can tell the difference because the new version has the luggage tag on the side whereas the original Alpha has it on the handle (as in the picture). The headline says Alpha 2 but the picture is of the original Alpha. I wonder if Amazon will end up sending the newer Alpha 2 for the sale price since the model number is the same 22020DH. Anyone order and willing to find out? In either case, the functionality of the bag didn't change, just a few minor design tweaks.

Ordered and will keep you posted!

Bought one too, been waiting on a Tumi sale for so long. This is the best luggage out there.

newbie to luxury black bags that look like every other black bag....Can someone tell me why Tumi is considered to be so great please? Not a mocking question by any means, just want to understand the difference between Tumi and a Samsonite that i can get on sale for $120 something and comes with a great warranty.

In the product title, Amazon calls this Alpha 2, but in the description is says it is the 22020, which is the older Alpha range. Not a bad thing, but a bit misleading if you are expecting to get Alpha 2. The Alpha 2 version of this bag came out last week, and still retails for $600:

http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29999136&prodFin...

apkesh said:   newbie to luxury black bags that look like every other black bag....Can someone tell me why Tumi is considered to be so great please? Not a mocking question by any means, just want to understand the difference between Tumi and a Samsonite that i can get on sale for $120 something and comes with a great warranty.

The OP helpfully posted a wirecutter review that may answer your questions.

scoobydooby said:   In the product title, Amazon calls this Alpha 2, but in the description is says it is the 22020, which is the older Alpha range. Not a bad thing, but a bit misleading if you are expecting to get Alpha 2. The Alpha 2 version of this bag came out last week, and still retails for $600:

Nope. Looks like it is this one:http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29941666&prodFindSrc=paramNav

Tumi's price is tuuu much tu me...
Wondering why people spending 350 on a carry on baggage is on fatwallet....
I am happy with my nautica spinner($159 for set of 3).

Went back and cancelled my order. I see that the Alpha 2 on the Tumi site has two changes that fixed the poor reviews to the Alpha tipping forward too often. You can see in the construction that the internal piece that clicks to hold in your clothes is moved more towards the center in the 2 to help center the weight. Also you can see the plastic that touches the ground on the bottom of the 2 is out on the zipped part of the bag vs. the regular part of the bag thus helping it not tip forward. Too each his own but I see what they fixed on the 2 vs. the regular Alpha.

texlink said:   Went back and cancelled my order. I see that the Alpha 2 on the Tumi site has two changes that fixed the poor reviews to the Alpha tipping forward too often. You can see in the construction that the internal piece that clicks to hold in your clothes is moved more towards the center in the 2 to help center the weight. Also you can see the plastic that touches the ground on the bottom of the 2 is out on the zipped part of the bag vs. the regular part of the bag thus helping it not tip forward. Too each his own but I see what they fixed on the 2 vs. the regular Alpha.

Thanks. Amazon is probably putting it on sale so they can get rid of the old stock.

ggmon said:   Tumi's price is tuuu much tu me...

I think Tumi is too much for my needs, but for people who travel a lot, Tumi is a great value. To each his own, but I think this price is fabulous. I can't justify it since I am not that much of a frequent flyer.

KneeYogi said:   
scoobydooby said:   In the product title, Amazon calls this Alpha 2, but in the description is says it is the 22020, which is the older Alpha range. Not a bad thing, but a bit misleading if you are expecting to get Alpha 2. The Alpha 2 version of this bag came out last week, and still retails for $600:

Nope. Looks like it is this one:http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29941666&prodFindSrc=paramNav

No it isn't. Check the wheels - that is the first sign that it isn't an Alpha 2. Alpha wheels have a piece that covers the hub, the Alpha 2 wheels are entirely open. They also have a hard plastic bumper at the top. This bag is NOT an Alpha 2.

Also, all the reviews are from 2011-2014 - the Alpha 2 didn't come out till last week. I'm sure you could fight Amazon and say you didn't get what you were promised, but I don't know what they would do to make it right other than offering a free return.

I did not read the review posted by kneeyogi yet, but this carry-on does not have a set of spinner wheels.

Wonder how it won the best carrier review?

One the second note, went ahead with ordering and if this is in fact the first gen, I expect Amazon to compensate us in some way.

fatwally2102 said:   I did not read the review posted by kneeyogi yet, but this carry-on does not have a set of spinner wheels.

Wonder how it won the best carrier review?

One the second note, went ahead with ordering and if this is in fact the first gen, I expect Amazon to compensate us in some way.

I also ordered but noticed that on the checkout page that the name changes to just the Tumi Alpha, not Alpha 2 (also indicated in the order history page) so I'm fairly certain they won't send out the new Alpha 2.

In looking at the pictures a little more closely, it looks like the Alpha 2 does have the rubber feet out on the zippered flap instead of the body like the original Alpha. This is nice for stability, especially when expanding the bag, but it looks like the compromise was that they got rid of the removable garment bag. There's a rigid space inside for you to place your suit (with hangar) but it's no longer removable so it's not as versatile inside as before. Also, they moved the luggage tag to the side...not sure how durable this setup will be in the long run.

Also, frequent travelers prefer just 2 wheels versus a spinner because you can recess two wheels into the body of the bag thus allowing the actual bag to be bigger. Spinners have all 4 wheels protruding out meaning to stay within airline regulations the bag itself has to be slightly smaller. Also 4 independent spinning wheels are just asking to be broken. Obviously only frequent travelers will get value out of a bag like this but it's still an excellent deal.

ggmon said:   Tumi's price is tuuu much tu me...

Because for some people, value is is getting a free generic suitcase when opening a checking account and that is a great deal for them. For others, value is finding a bargain on a name brand suitcase and that is a great deal for them. And for others, value is saving hundreds of dollars off of a top of the line suitcase, and that is a great deal for them. There is room enough for everyone on Fatwallet, no matter how fat your wallet. There are obviously people on here that are interested in this, if you aren't one of them, just move along.

apkesh said:   newbie to luxury black bags that look like every other black bag....Can someone tell me why Tumi is considered to be so great please? Not a mocking question by any means, just want to understand the difference between Tumi and a Samsonite that i can get on sale for $120 something and comes with a great warranty.
All my luggage is Tumi, and my oldest piece is from 1998 - and sill functions absolutely perfectly. Wheels feel like new. Top notch quality and pockets where I need them for all the crap I carry.

It is also a personal thing, I just like the look and feel. And of course, it is a typical frequent flier thing - I'm a snob and wouldn't feel right with Samsonite.

Has Tumi always been the "go to" brand in luxury luggages, valued higher than Samsonite?

I am in my mid 30's and it wasn't until 4-5 years ago when I first came across the name "Tumi".

fatwally2102 said:   Has Tumi always been the "go to" brand in luxury luggages, valued higher than Samsonite?

I am in my mid 30's and it wasn't until 4-5 years ago when I first came across the name "Tumi".

You should check out Rimowa.

High end luggage is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. If you do, go to Flyer Talk and prepare to spend weeks reading reviews that disagree with one another.

Then just do what I did and buy a Kirkland model from Costco knowing I can return it for a full refund at any time and get it replaced for free when it breaks rather than waiting for a "free" warranty repair.

Thanks, OP. I travel every week for work. I'm very tempted. However, I think I will stick with the Travelpro Crew. It's still almost half the price of this Tumi deal, and I would argue just as durable. Both brands blow away just about anything out there in terms of the regular use they can handle. I probably have about 1,000 miles so far on my Travelpro roller wheels, and there's no hint of any problems. Of course, if you always check your bags, there's no telling what abuse your bag might be subject to under the plane. If you are a baggage checker, I definitely wouldn't buy Tumi. If your bag was lost, the airline wouldn't even cover the cost of replacing the suitcase -- much less its contents.

Can't imagine needing to spend this much on luggage. I have the Travelpro Maxlite(going for $72 bucks), and I thought I was really spoiling myself. It's the same dimensions as the OP deal, but weighs 35% less and still feels like a quality bag. Given it's lighter, I'm sure it's not as durable, but the lifetime warranty helps. But if it breaks in 10 years, and I decide to buy a new bag instead of claim the warranty, I could buy a brand new model and still have money to spare instead of buying OP's 10.5 lb $286 ego booster.

Dotbody said:   Can't imagine needing to spend this much on luggage. I have the Travelpro Maxlite(going for $72 bucks), and I thought I was really spoiling myself. It's the same dimensions as the OP deal, but weighs 35% less and still feels like a quality bag. Given it's lighter, I'm sure it's not as durable, but the lifetime warranty helps. But if it breaks in 10 years, and I decide to buy a new bag instead of claim the warranty, I could buy a brand new model and still have money to spare instead of buying OP's 10.5 lb $286 ego booster.
I am a travel pro crew model supporter - however we started taking international carriers to mexico, and a few small jetblue planes to florida and we needed a 20" bag.

I tried the crew model in the 20" bag and it was top heavy, and they wasted 20% of the bag with stupid padding for a laptop compartment. I went with the maxlite... I figured it is great for overhead, and may take 3-4 trips underground if they make you gate check (small commuter planes). I don't know about the lifetime warranty on this bag -- the material is not the good nylon, so any rip is said to be the 'airline'.. I guess you can get covered for zippers and wheels.

I agree - this sucker is as light as a bag can get.

I was tempted to buy this.. hmmmmm

Dotbody said:   Can't imagine needing to spend this much on luggage. I have the Travelpro Maxlite(going for $72 bucks), and I thought I was really spoiling myself. It's the same dimensions as the OP deal, but weighs 35% less and still feels like a quality bag. Given it's lighter, I'm sure it's not as durable, but the lifetime warranty helps. But if it breaks in 10 years, and I decide to buy a new bag instead of claim the warranty, I could buy a brand new model and still have money to spare instead of buying OP's 10.5 lb $286 ego booster.
I had a brand new Travelpro bag that I only carried on and only had brought on 2 or 3 trips. The internal frame broke and Travelpro refused to do a warranty repair or replacement. So, for me the warranty wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. I will never buy a Travelpro bag again despite having been a loyal customer of theirs for many years over many bags.

For the amount that I travel, my Briggs & Riley
and Tumi bags are worth the (heavily discounted) price I paid for them.

All Tumi stores should have the Alpha line on sale this weekend at 40% off. That is not as good as adding the extra 20% with Amazon (and Prime shipping) but you might be able to see this bag in person if you have a Tumi store nearby.

For those who get in on this deal.. bring the bag to any Tumi shop and they will do custom monogram for you, gratis.

argh I love Tumi's been looking at this for a while...tempting...I don't need it but almost a "why not?" moment..

Having been a Tumi fan for many years, we bought a set of TravelPro Crew 9 last year. We travel a lot and I can tell you that the Travelpro bags have had constant handle and zipper problems requiring frequent trips to the warranty repair location. I think I'll be going back to Tumi.

I favor the Briggs and Riley
carry on bags. They are not on sale, but you can use the OP's link to sign up for the newsletter emails and use the code you get and take 20 percent off the Briggs and Riley
or any other luggage you select. Thanks OP.

I've had good luck with Tumi in the past so I'm in for one at this price, although I do have to say my wife's Rimowa is pretty sweet.

Received it today and it is indeed NOT the Alpha 2.

Called Amazon and they offered me a $50(!!) discount to keep it

fatwally2102 said:   Has Tumi always been the "go to" brand in luxury luggages, valued higher than Samsonite?

You can always look at hartmann too...been around since late 1800s.
When I sold luggage years ago, our top brands were Tumi and hartmann . But you can always drop down a tier and get the higher end of brands like Travel Pro and Samsonite.
It's always important to remember that luggage companies make a bunch of different lines so just looking for Travel Pro doesn't really tell you much either.

gd78 said:   Received it today and it is indeed NOT the Alpha 2.

Nice. I'll have to try that too when I get mine.

It also seems that they do have the real Alpha 2 listed at $357:

link

It has the correct picture of the Alpha 2.
This is model 022020D2, whereas OP's item is 022020DH.

It's out of stock but you can order now and will ship when available. The 20% can be applied.

I ordered one. Hope it ships. Worst case is they cancel and I have to live with my $236 (original) Alpha.

Edit: Price is now back to $595

If you want a carry-on to last a lifetime: http://www.strongbags.com/vortex-2-flight-crew-luggage-roller.ht...

This is the type of luggage used by pilots. It works amazingly well and should outlive me.

Difference between Alpha and Alpha 2:

Among the key changes are new, recessed inline skate wheels that swivel 360 degrees and provide more stability, while also taking up less interior space. A new polypropylene frame and X-Brace ,45 three-height handle system made of aircraft aluminum lies flatter, taking up less packing space, providing more protection from damage and is nearly 40 percent lighter. In all, the new design provides 10 percent more space than the original Alpha line and 8 percent more than the Alpha Lightweight.

The top and side handles now lie flat and can be retracted, and a bottom handle has been added. Tougher impact-resistant caps have been added to the corners as part of the tougher new Durafold construction method. The front-panel U-Zip pockets expand inward, reducing exterior gusseting. The Tumi Tracer tag is on the rear exterior of the bag.

While retaining the 2.5-inch expansion of the Alpha line, the Alpha 2 bags also uses a new, Lever Lock Expansion System that uses a spring-loaded lever to provide 25 percent more capacity. A lightweight, protective honeycomb frame also lines the expansion area.

gd78 said:   
I ordered one. Hope it ships. Worst case is they cancel and I have to live with my $236 (original) Alpha.

Did you ask them if they were willing to swap your Alpha for an Alpha 2 - especially given they have both at the same price (ignoring the extra $50 off obviously)

Was swapping it out for the actual Alpha 2 even an option? I was about to order this until I (like everyone else) realized it was the older model with the tipping-prone feet.

Jayzone said:   

Was swapping it out for the actual Alpha 2 even an option? I was about to order this until I (like everyone else) realized it was the older model with the tipping-prone feet.

They said they can't do an exchange for an out of stock item.

Also, it looks like they just raised the price on the Alpha 2 back to $595 (while the original Alpha is still $357).
Seems like the Alpha 2 is the real deal.

Skipping 32 Messages...
Costco has an amazing carry on compliant spinner for $99

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014