• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Yeah, I'm willing to bet sellers are noticing a decrease in sales, and eBay isn't making as much as they use too. Fatwallet is about saving money.. If eBay and another site had the same item, chances are fir the same price, and guess which site I'll buy from? Not eBay since the 2% isn't viable anymore

dlight1 said:   Yeah, I'm willing to bet sellers are noticing a decrease in sales, and eBay isn't making as much as they use too. Fatwallet is about saving money.. If eBay and another site had the same item, chances are fir the same price, and guess which site I'll buy from? Not eBay since the 2% isn't viable anymore
  If a seller had an item on another site, and that sites costs were less, I would expect the item for less.

MVP9596 said:   
peas said:   
cpabster said:   Pretty limited on the categories there.
Is CashBack only available in the categories listed by OP, or is it that those specific categories have a $100 limit in CashBack? FW wording is ambiguous.

Cash Back is available on all categories, but is capped on the listed categories.  I'll add that to the OP.

Just so it's super clear, does the cap mean that you only earn CB on $100 per transaction in listed categories, or that the max payout per transaction is $100 (i.e., you earn on up to $10k per transaction)?

yesidonoitall said:   
dlight1 said:   Yeah, I'm willing to bet sellers are noticing a decrease in sales, and eBay isn't making as much as they use too. Fatwallet is about saving money.. If eBay and another site had the same item, chances are fir the same price, and guess which site I'll buy from? Not eBay since the 2% isn't viable anymore
  If a seller had an item on another site, and that sites costs were less, I would expect the item for less.

A prime example would be textbooks. No Cash Back from Amazon, but eBay (not half.com version) offering the 2% eBucks makes that the cheaper buy. I do realize their are other sites out there that offer coupons and some have CashBack, but sometimes there are times where eBay is cheaper with the 2% or only eBay has the book, etc. And college students are prime market for textbooks and if you need just one book, they probably wouldn't hit that $5 mark. If both eBay and Amazon had the same book marked the same price for let's say $150.. that would be $3 eBay bucks or free 2 - day shipping with prime. Back when eBay didn't have the $5 mark... I would choose eBay, but today Amazon would be my route.

With the 10% final value fee + 2.9% paypal fee eBay definitely went overboard. It is time for a less expensive and leaner competitor to enter the market with total selling expenses of 6-8%. Unfortunately, CL is not up to the job.

shunja said:   With the 10% final value fee + 2.9% paypal fee eBay definitely went overboard. It is time for a less expensive and leaner competitor to enter the market with total selling expenses of 6-8%. Unfortunately, CL is not up to the job.
  If you want to see you will use eBay, at least for the forseable future.
Buyers like it and they also like Paypal....
As a seller, I have the minimum sotre of $19.95 a month.
That drops the FVF to 6% for my $500 items, 1 sale and the store cost is covered.
PP is 2.2% + cents

PP fees are competitive with any service the average seller could use.
PP or other cc only is great, no dead beat buyers.
I only list BIN with immediate payment required, that also kills the eCheck artists....

I do want to sell and not just wait for the sale to happen at other sites to save a few bucks.

Treefarn said:   
jimmystang said:   
Treefarn said:   
jimmystang said:   Way to go Fat Wallet! This is a nice new perk.

Too bad eBay is screwing many members on their eBay bucks program going forward.

Are you talking about the $5 minimum rule?  So that if you don't spend $250 in 3 months, you lost your eBay bucks?  

yes

From eBays perspective,if you spend less so little, you aren't really a good customer, so there really is no reason to cater to you.  Since you now lose your <5 eBay bucks, perhaps that will encourage you to spend more. And since those shoppers shop so infrequently, losing that <$5 probably wont affect them (and some probably don't even really they had eBay bucks to lose).  Seems like sound marketing, not a 'screwing'.

I don't care about any debate of eBay doesn't have to have the ebucks program and we should be happy it's even there.  Imagine if FW or any other CB sites, instead of rolling over your earned Cash Back until you do reach the minimum payout amount in the year quarterly, they keep your earned CB since you didn't meet the minimum payout amount.  

Tukwok said:   
Treefarn said:   
jimmystang said:   
Treefarn said:   

Too bad eBay is screwing many members on their eBay bucks program going forward.

Are you talking about the $5 minimum rule?  So that if you don't spend $250 in 3 months, you lost your eBay bucks?  

yes

From eBays perspective,if you spend less so little, you aren't really a good customer, so there really is no reason to cater to you.  Since you now lose your <5 eBay bucks, perhaps that will encourage you to spend more. And since those shoppers shop so infrequently, losing that <$5 probably wont affect them (and some probably don't even really they had eBay bucks to lose).  Seems like sound marketing, not a 'screwing'.

I don't care about any debate of eBay doesn't have to have the ebucks program and we should be happy it's even there.  Imagine if FW or any other CB sites, instead of rolling over your earned Cash Back until you do reach the minimum payout amount in the year quarterly, they keep your earned CB since you didn't meet the minimum payout amount.  

I don't disagree with you.  I wouldn't use FW or eBates or whatever if they kept my $ if I didn't meet a threshold.  My point is eBay won't miss you when you're gone, because you don't spend enough, so they don't care that you are unhappy.

crispy96 said:   Of course this came right after I spent a couple hundred bucks on eBay.
  LOL  I was JUST about to say the same thing!!  *kicks rock*

Craig said:    As a Seller I completely avoid them. 

Where then is your marketplace?

Lol what people seem to keep forgetting is buying power. Buyers are less likely to use eBay, because they do rarely make purchases, but eBay Bucks were enough incentive for them to make the purchase. Now that they are required to spend $250 to get their incentive, they buy elsewhere, and thus sellers are effected. One particular buying individual alone stop using eBay over bucks wouldn't effect the market as a whole, but 1 million users would. I'm willing to bet the revenue/stock of Q1 and Q2 from 2013 will be higher than Q1 and Q2 of 2014... directly related to this eBay buck change.

I just want NBC to get back to its regular programming I pay them for, none of this water sports stuff.

Centora87 said:   Lol what people seem to keep forgetting is buying power. Buyers are less likely to use eBay, because they do rarely make purchases, but eBay Bucks were enough incentive for them to make the purchase. Now that they are required to spend $250 to get their incentive, they buy elsewhere, and thus sellers are effected. One particular buying individual alone stop using eBay over bucks wouldn't effect the market as a whole, but 1 million users would. I'm willing to bet the revenue/stock of Q1 and Q2 from 2013 will be higher than Q1 and Q2 of 2014... directly related to this eBay buck change.
I think you make a good point. I don't think this was very well thought out at the 'bay, and I'm hoping that a rethink of this policy change will happen somewhere down the line. Although... eBay's sheer arrogance may preclude this from occurring, financial results notwithstanding.

JeebusSaves said:   
MVP9596 said:   
peas said:   
cpabster said:   Pretty limited on the categories there.
Is CashBack only available in the categories listed by OP, or is it that those specific categories have a $100 limit in CashBack? FW wording is ambiguous.

Cash Back is available on all categories, but is capped on the listed categories.  I'll add that to the OP.

Just so it's super clear, does the cap mean that you only earn CB on $100 per transaction in listed categories, or that the max payout per transaction is $100 (i.e., you earn on up to $10k per transaction)?

You can earn up to $100 CB on those listed categories.  So if you had a $10k transaction, you earn $100 CB.  If you had a $50k transaction, you would still earn only $100 Cash Back.

WOW!!! thanks FW

So, just got my first Cash Back notification from a couple of eBay purchases I made. Come to find out that the 1% Cash Back is only on the PURCHASE price, NOT the ALL IN price including SHIPPING. That's jacked up if you ask me. Especially since eBay charges sellers final value fees based on the ALL IN price. In order to maximize your FW CB, it's to your benefit to purchase from eBay sellers that offer "free shipping", which essentially means they are loading the shipping cost into the sale price.

I must have missed this in the fine print, not sure if anyone else caught this.

Actually, now that i think of it...does anyone know if that is how eBay calculates eBay bucks too?

The timing was just right for me. I had to make a large purchase for car parts so the 1% represents a nice savings on top of what I saved over buying locally.

jimmystang said:   So, just got my first Cash Back notification from a couple of eBay purchases I made. Come to find out that the 1% Cash Back is only on the PURCHASE price, NOT the ALL IN price including SHIPPING. That's jacked up if you ask me. Especially since eBay charges sellers final value fees based on the ALL IN price. In order to maximize your FW CB, it's to your benefit to purchase from eBay sellers that offer "free shipping", which essentially means they are loading the shipping cost into the sale price.

Actually, now that i think of it...does anyone know if that is how eBay calculates eBay bucks too?

Same way...

nostalgicgeek said:   
jimmystang said:   So, just got my first Cash Back notification from a couple of eBay purchases I made. Come to find out that the 1% Cash Back is only on the PURCHASE price, NOT the ALL IN price including SHIPPING. That's jacked up if you ask me. Especially since eBay charges sellers final value fees based on the ALL IN price. In order to maximize your FW CB, it's to your benefit to purchase from eBay sellers that offer "free shipping", which essentially means they are loading the shipping cost into the sale price.

Same way...

Now i feel dumb not knowing this before...

eBay Bucks are calculated only on the purchase price, exclusive of shipping and handling and tax (if applicable).

The reason eBay charges a final value fee on shipping is obvious. Remember the 1 cent Xbox with a 599.00 shipping fee? They are going to (rightly) get their cut one way or the other.

Speaking of eBays FVF's
Go for the Store, $19.95 the savings on some category's are tremendous.
Not full understanding the store business I paid them 10% FVF's way too long....
One laptop sale, the savings cover the store cost for the month.

jimmystang said:   So, just got my first Cash Back notification from a couple of eBay purchases I made. Come to find out that the 1% Cash Back is only on the PURCHASE price, NOT the ALL IN price including SHIPPING. That's jacked up if you ask me. 

Why is that jacked up?  They are give you back 1% of your purchase price.  The shipping, in theory, goes to the Post Office (or UPS), so why would eBay give you back 1% of that?  (Granted, they are probably getting to keep a small fraction of the shipping money based on deals they worked out with the PO and UPS for volume shipping, but still.)

Treefarn said:   
jimmystang said:   So, just got my first Cash Back notification from a couple of eBay purchases I made. Come to find out that the 1% Cash Back is only on the PURCHASE price, NOT the ALL IN price including SHIPPING. That's jacked up if you ask me. 

Why is that jacked up?  They are give you back 1% of your purchase price.  The shipping, in theory, goes to the Post Office (or UPS), so why would eBay give you back 1% of that?  (Granted, they are probably getting to keep a small fraction of the shipping money based on deals they worked out with the PO and UPS for volume shipping, but still.)

its a little jacked up because eBay is still charging sellers final value fees for the all in price (and YES i understand why it is necessary for them to do so...i remember the days when sellers would list something for $0.01 with $99.99 shipping).

My point is that why should the rebate be any different if a buyer purchases an item for $50 w/free ship vs $40 + $10 ship, all else being equal?

jimmystang said:   
Treefarn said:   

its a little jacked up because eBay is still charging sellers final value fees for the all in price (and YES i understand why it is necessary for them to do so...i remember the days when sellers would list something for $0.01 with $99.99 shipping).

My point is that why should the rebate be any different if a buyer purchases an item for $50 w/free ship vs $40 + $10 ship, all else being equal?

well, when you put it that way, you have a point.

Damn I hope FW keeps this or bumps the CB higher.
I just returned to FW. My last CB transaction was 4 years ago!

RE:
.i remember the days when sellers would list something for $0.01 with $99.99 shipping).

Yes, and if there was a refund due, it was clearly stated
the purchase price will be refunded....
That being the 1˘

way to go.. now get an exclusive deal from Amazon (store-wide)

Just happy to get anything back from eBay. Thanks Fatwallet

Treefarn said:   
jimmystang said:   
Treefarn said:   

yes

Nope it's screwing the little shopper...I looked forward to my <$5 bonus.

yesidonoitall said:   The only ones disgruntled with selling is sellers who made mistakes.
eBay has the best protection for buyers and sellers.....

I beg to differ. If eBay would allow HONEST seller feedback for the dishonest buyers then sellers could make an educated decision and wouldn't lose so much$$  I didn't know eBay changed to positive only buyer feedback when I sold to someone I had doubts about but had good feedback a couple years ago. I lost $$ when they claimed non receipt and kept my item (even when I submitted proof of shipment) and eBay then refunded their money from my account... I had 2 transactions last year the "buyers" claimed I sent a used item I sold as new. I have 100% honest feedback but that reputation doesn't matter... eBay refunded their $$ directly with no penalty to me (for under $50 transaction) and let them keep it- not send it in before refund to prove their claim! I am furious!  I made no mistakes and though I didn't lose money that time eBay is catering to these crooks no questions asked!  There are many people on eBay out to rip sellers off and there is a lot of online discussions about this.

Awesome!

Bought two 1oz American Eagle gold coins from Apmex and essentially getting it 3% less (1% FW CB and 2% MasterCard).  No 2% eBay bucks on gold coins but 1% FW CB is nice.

As for fleabay - expensive to sell even with free listing offers but good for buyers with buyer protection unlike years ago when buyers often got ripped off.

BPH789 said:   Awesome!

Bought two 1oz American Eagle gold coins from Apmex and essentially getting it 3% less (1% FW CB and 2% MasterCard).  

Which Master Card gives you the 2%?
Thank you!

krysnik said:   
yesidonoitall said:   The only ones disgruntled with selling is sellers who made mistakes.
eBay has the best protection for buyers and sellers.....

I beg to differ. If eBay would allow HONEST seller feedback for the dishonest buyers then sellers could make an educated decision and wouldn't lose so much$$  I didn't know eBay changed to positive only buyer feedback when I sold to someone I had doubts about but had good feedback a couple years ago. I lost $$ when they claimed non receipt and kept my item (even when I submitted proof of shipment) and eBay then refunded their money from my account... I had 2 transactions last year the "buyers" claimed I sent a used item I sold as new. I have 100% honest feedback but that reputation doesn't matter... eBay refunded their $$ directly with no penalty to me (for under $50 transaction) and let them keep it- not send it in before refund to prove their claim! I am furious!  I made no mistakes and though I didn't lose money that time eBay is catering to these crooks no questions asked!  There are many people on eBay out to rip sellers off and there is a lot of online discussions about this.

I agree.... I have had similar situations happen to be several times just last year alone, and I only average about 100 sales per year.  All cases were blatant fraud on the buyer, and eBay just gave them their money back, even though it was clearly fraud.  They need to change it back to allow sellers to leave buyers negative feedback again...

That's wonderful...thanks!

twmofa said:   
BPH789 said:   Awesome!

Bought two 1oz American Eagle gold coins from Apmex and essentially getting it 3% less (1% FW CB and 2% MasterCard).  

Which Master Card gives you the 2%?
Thank you!

Driver's Edge by Citibank.  I'm "chartered" member and I get 2% (expires in 24 months) towards purchase or lease of a car including my family members.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014