• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Brother MFC-J470DW Inkjet All-In-One Printer
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pass. You don't really save money with this all-in-one. (1) It comes with starter cartridges and (2) you'll tie up your phone line sending and receiving faxes because the max speed is limited to 14.4Kbps.

I owe the OP big time for his posts regarding the older Brother J430W -- but we need more info here about ink cost on this unit and whether there are REALLY CHEAP compatible cartridges.

Meritline today has the LC103 compatibles for $10.99 for the set of four if 4 sets are bought at once. (This is a bit more than double the $4.95 they are charging today for a single set of four G&G LC75 compatibles for the J430W.)

Any news?

kshell said:   Pass. You don't really save money with this all-in-one. (1) It comes with starter cartridges and (2) you'll tie up your phone line sending and receiving faxes because the max speed is limited to 14.4Kbps.

Fail. 1) you do not use starter cartridges to gauge your ongoing ink costs and 2) send your faxes via your computer/fax program at high speed.

Starter Cartridges
Disclaimer
kshell said:   Pass. You don't really save money with this all-in-one. (1) It comes with starter cartridges and (2) you'll tie up your phone line sending and receiving faxes because the max speed is limited to 14.4Kbps.
  I looked up both and you are correct. It looks like Canon Pixma's use the 33.6 Kbps (Super G3 color FAX), which is a faster modem speed. Also, you must factor in the cost of 4 cartridges to get this machine up and running beyond the starter cartridges. Even at $3 a pop for generic replacements, that's $12 added to the purchase price. Most people won't ever use the fax feature and the cost of replacement ink is surely to drop even lower, so I wouldn't pass on this deal for those reasons.

I found this note about the "starter" cartridges on Brother's web site:

MISTERCHEAP said:   

Fail. 1) you do not use starter cartridges to gauge your ongoing ink costs and 2) send your faxes via your computer/fax program at high speed.

Ink cartridges)  I did not say anything regarding ongoing ink costs. I said "you don't save any real money".  You don't get that many pages from the starter cartridges before you have to buy replacements.

Max fax speed) Does your computer have a V.34 built-in fax modem or card? Can it do 33.6Kbps? If your computer does not then your computer/fax program is limited to the capabilities of the fax device that is connected to the computer; i.e. Brother all-in-one's modem.

Shop around and you'll find more capable all-in-ones for a few dollars more.

blueribb said:   
  I looked up both and you are correct. It looks like Canon Pixma's use the 33.6 Kbps (Super G3 color FAX), which is a faster modem speed. Also, you must factor in the cost of 4 cartridges to get this machine up and running beyond the starter cartridges. Even at $3 a pop for generic replacements, that's $12 added to the purchase price. Most people won't ever use the fax feature and the cost of replacement ink is surely to drop even lower, so I wouldn't pass on this deal for those reasons.

in all fairness, most printers (HP, Epson, etc) come with "starter" carts. Try factoring in the cost of full carts to get those up and running could be $60 or more. It's really a non-issue since it applies to most name brand All In Ones.

I could be wrong but I think this printer comes with regular cartridges, not reduced ink ones. Because of the initialization process, 20% of the cartridges ink is used to fill the printer's tubes. (or something like that)

blueribb said:   I could be wrong but I think this printer comes with regular cartridges, not reduced ink ones. Because of the initialization process, 20% of the cartridges ink is used to fill the printer's tubes. (or something like that)
  See "Specifications" in the linked product page.

Wow, $60 for auto-duplex and wifi - I'm sorely tempted. But, my '240 AIO is still going strong and I've got 70+ cartridges for it.

Nice price on this. Another good post MISTERCHEAP. It's the slightly upgraded version (this has duplex printing, "web connect", and a couple other bells and whistles) of the J430W I got last time MISTERCHEAP POSTED it. Brother makes a great AIO; reliable, cheap ink, and once you go wireless printer, you'll never, ever, go back.

Stop, my closet is full !  
Makes a good conversation piece when guests come over though, and invariably someone will go home with one !

Dont buy brother product.. unless you dont care about upgrading every year.. i have all-in-one and it stopped printing black.... waste of ink and the cost associated... i am all for boycotting brother product or should i say i already started... waste of time and money..

nipatel said:   Dont buy brother product.. unless you dont care about upgrading every year.. i have all-in-one and it stopped printing black.... waste of ink and the cost associated... i am all for boycotting brother product or should i say i already started... waste of time and money..
  I have a Brother MFC-240C that I got years ago and it still works like new. I use it everyday including it's fax function. I only use cheap replacement ink (under a buck each) and never had a clog. My Epson's on the other hand suffer from constant head clogging and color drop-outs. No more Epson's for me.

nipatel said:   Dont buy brother product.. unless you dont care about upgrading every year.. i have all-in-one and it stopped printing black.... waste of ink and the cost associated... i am all for boycotting brother product or should i say i already started... waste of time and money..

Brother is the only inkjet manufacturer that I recommend because they don't try to screw consumers with chip-restricted ink carts. Brother carts are simple plastic tanks that feed ink, easy as that. HP, Canon and others embed chips that make it a PITA to refill.

Search on Eb4y for Brother carts that are specifically designed to be easily refillable. They have re-pluggable holes to inject ink in seconds.

Edit: The 470DW now uses chipped carts   Refillable carts are available but a tad pricier
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refillable-ink-cartridge-for-Brother-LC1...

Pays for itself after 3 refills.

Let's clear up some of the misconceptions about the ink for this printer...

Regarding the cartridges that come with the printer:
Per Brother's product description page*, and following the link regarding yield for the ink...
They are not starter cartridges but due to priming the print heads for first use expect 80% of normal yield.
In their words "Actual yield of starter cartridge will be approx. 80% of replacement 101 cartridge series, due to ink system initialization process. Approximate page yields in accordance with ISO/IEC 24711. For more page yield information, see www.brother.com/pageyield." 

As for replacement cartridges there are scores of sellers on eBay offering clone LC101 cartridges for about $3 each and less when bought in quantity.**

This is a good deal for an inexpensive color home printer that is also inexpensive to operate.

* Brother product page https://www.brother-usa.com/MultiFunction/ModelDetail/4/MFCJ470DW/spec#.UwGjrGeYbvU
** eBay listing for 8 pack of LC101 cartridges for $25 http://www.ebay.com/itm/171242389483

Great timing! Having trouble with inkjet printer and this will solve that problem.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014