• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Shop PORTER-CABLE 4-Tool 18-Volt Cordless Combo Kit at Lowes.com
Disclaimer
PORTER-CABLE 4-Tool 18-Volt Cordless Combo Kit $109. + FSP @ Lowes   

4 Tool Kit

Lowe's
See Lowe's promo codes that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I do prefer Ryobi.

Nicad

apriori said:   Nicad
  Deal killer. Lithium Ion batteries are so much better that it's worth waiting for a Lithium deal over Nicad.

ziolo said:   
apriori said:   Nicad
  Deal killer. Lithium Ion batteries are so much better that it's worth waiting for a Lithium deal over Nicad.

Yup, since I switched over to lithium there is no way I'm going back to nicad.

probably worth it if you need replacement batteries for an old set.

I believe these are interchangeable with the li-on set. So if you happen to already have PC li-ons for other PC tools, it's a steal. I have the li-on set and they've been awesome for over 2 years now.

If you already have other tools with lithium ion batteries its a good price for the tools alone. If not and you are on a budget its got decent upgrade potential. The comparable lithium set is about 240$. If you were to later buy one standard and one ex lithium battery, and the lithium charger its about $50 more than just getting the kit and you are getting 2 nicad batteries for that $50. Thats without finding a good deal on the batteries. You also have the advantage of being able to buy 2 ex (high capacity) batteries for a few more dollars (you don't have that option with the kit).

Of course if you like finding deals, you might buy the 4 tool nicad kit and this for 129$

http://www.lowes.com/pd_36_0__?productId=3652610

For the same price as the 4 tool lithium kit you get everything in the lithium kit plus a hammer dril, a spare standard drill, and 2 nicad batteries. Even if you upgraded later and could not get that clearance price, that kit seems to normally go for $180 or less so you would be paying $50 more for those extras.

Fyi I bought this set (just the 4 tool nicad originally posted) about a month ago and it seems really good for the price. If the batteries last, its well worth the money. sure its not going to compete with much more expensive tools but its decent for $100. Between the factory warranty and the Lowes extended warranty which is pretty cheap, the batteries are covered for 4-5 years (some places say 2 years, some say 3 for the battery warranty, the manual in mine says 2 years). I have a porter cable service center somewhat close so that works good for me anyway.

I kind of like the ryobi too (what they offer as I'm not sure how good they are) but these are cheaper if I'm not mistaken.

God I love the post by "experts" who make recommendations and post reviews of products they do not own or have never actually used. I have owned these tools for over two years and use them DAILY in my construction business. To anyone considering buying this kit, do it. This kit is selling for the same cost as two 18v Dewalt replacement batteries. These tools will exceed the needs of any weekend warrior looking for a quality tools set. FYI, I have been using power tools for 40 years as a builder, in case anyone wants to know.

I own or have used all the major brands of cordless tools. These tools are amazing for the price and the performance they offer. A comparable Dewalt set with the same tools would be at LEAST 250.00. The batteries that came with my original set are still going strong and show no signs of battery failure.

As far as the advice from the posters who recommend not buying NiCad ask them if they have ever tried using Lithium batteries on a cold day. Why do you think NiCad batteries are still offered by all the major tool mfg.?  NiCad's  cold weather performance doesn't suffer like Lithium's.  Lithium major selling point is smaller battery pack size and slightly longer run times at at higher cost for the replacement battery packs.

Surfing the web during the work day while setting at your desk definitely makes the previous posters qualified to make tool recommendations. I use this tools during the work day, and they are a buy.

builderpop said:   
As far as the advice from the posters who recommend not buying NiCad ask them if they have ever tried using Lithium batteries on a cold day. Why do you think NiCad batteries are still offered by all the major tool mfg.?  NiCad's  cold weather performance doesn't suffer like Lithium's.  Lithium major selling point is smaller battery pack size and slightly longer run times at at higher cost for the replacement battery packs.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I think you are forgetting that the basic homeowner might appreciate the benefits of Lithium batteries much more than the pro user.  The average homeowner usually  leaves one battery in the charger and the other in the tool between uses.  sometimes this can be months.  with Lithium this isn't an issue, the one in the charger goes into maint mode and the one on the tool usually keeps most of it's charge, not the case with NiCad.   This practice usually ends up shortening the life of both NiCad batteries.  Lithiums can be charged quickly, NiCads take hours.  again not an issue if you are a pro and charge / use everyday, but for the homeowner it's usally a different story.

I own a lot of these 18v PC tools and several NiCads as well as the regular and larger lithiums.  I have been very happy with this entire line from a value standpoint

on a side not in case anyone read my post as implying that I think you need to upgrade to lithium, that is not the case. I posted info about upgrade potential for those that would like it. Personally, if the nicads work well I may not ever get lithium. I remember years back when lithium was not commonly available and I had tools that cost a couple of hundred for a single drill kit. They were nicad, they had long run time, lots of power, and the batteries lasted for many years. There is nothing wrong with nicad technology. If anything I think nicad gets a bad rap because of poor quality batteries and poor chargers. I suspect that some companies do this on purpose. They sell you a kit where you pay for the batteries and the tools are almost free. They design the batteries to not last in the hopes you will not have receipt and such to get them warrantied. Then they make their profits on the over priced batteries (and or include only one battery). This happened with the black and decker set this replaced for me. I lost the receipt and the batteries were junk. I later found out there were 7 or more versions of the battery for those tools. I'm guessing the ones included in the kit were the lower capacity, lower quality ones. It made me nervous when I fount out porter cable was owned by black and decker. So far I am very impressed with these tools for the price and that includes the batteries (so far). Nicads and lithium both have their advantages and disadvantages (with a big one being cost). A good nicad batter can perform quite well and is cheaper. It might be smart to google and read up on care for nicads though. It might also be wise to upgrade to the fast charger. It will give a 1c charge which is actually safer for the battery (a 3 hour charge is more likely to miss termination and over charge). I have a good feeling about these nicads though I have only used the drill and circular saw a few time so far. I hope I'm right.

ripit2,
I have limited experience with NiCad vs. Lithium but I have to agree that there is some other reason for poor NiCad performance. You see, I own a makita drill since the late 1980's. I don't use it all the time but the batteries are kept charged and they still work so well that everyone who borrows it, envies it. It still has all the power it ever had. So, yes, it is kinda strange that newer ones fail so often.

Green on this deal. Agree with builderpop and ripit2 on just about everything they said--this is a good buy, and I have these same tools (all except the light). Yes, I'd generally prefer Li-Ion batteries over NiCad batteries, from a charge holding standpoint. But not at the $ premium that Li-Ion batteries sell for, e.g. $80 for a single high-capacity P-C 18V Li-Ion battery. I've had no problem topping up and using the NiCad batteries that came with these tools, especially for any normal application I'd expect to use a battery-powered tool for.  Note that all these tools can also run off the P-C 18V Li-Ion batteries, just in case they become more reasonable--or some good closeout deal comes up.

Imo deal thread-crapping with "NiCad" or "Not lithium" etc is just the tool-side equivalent of "No HDMI" etc on monitors (or going back further, "No DVI"), especially without actual experience with the specific item(s) discussed.  It doesn't really add that much value.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.