Sold Online only
Thanks blueribb
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Anyone get a half pallet?

tightpapa (Mar. 16, 2014 @ 9:11a) |

my brother has a flooring business, says bamboo is scratchtastic

skh12 (Mar. 16, 2014 @ 9:35a) |

Your brother must not have broad knowledge of flooring then, depends on the specific bamboo.

jaimelobo (Mar. 16, 2014 @ 9:39a) |

Sold Online only
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice deal on good flooring. 

Also have half pallet's for the same price per SF

half pallet - 238SF

Found more reviews here: reviews 

Per many reviewers, this flooring dents and scratches easily.

Is it a good idea to install bamboo flooring in a walk-out basement?

I would not install in a basement. You're supposed to put paper under it, that would trap moisture from the cement. You can't use a flooring stapler so you'd have to glue it and it does scratch easily. I installed in our bedroom, the hallway and stairs.
I have a salon in our walk out basement and I have tile flooring, it is wonderful, after a rainy day with muddy traffic simply sweep the dirt after it dries and it looks great. I would hate to see the bamboo after a few years with the dirt that gets tracked in.
Carpeting gets musty and if you get flooded from a boiler or a pipe leaking you'll have a mess.

Good luck!

For this price I would prefer the Laminate from Costcos. Looks great like individual pieces and does not scratch or dent. If I am going to take the time to install hardwood, I would spend bit more and get something from Lumber Liquidators. That being said, OP did a great job finding a great price.

Cheap price for a cheaply made product that you'll soon regret.

raymondanthony said:   For this price I would prefer the Laminate from Costcos. Looks great like individual pieces and does not scratch or dent. If I am going to take the time to install hardwood, I would spend bit more and get something from Lumber Liquidators. That being said, OP did a great job finding a great price.
  Yikes.  No thanks.  Pricing is great, but for factory seconds and horrible customer service, you are better off finding cheap flooring options elsewhere.  A quick google search will tell you all you need to know about LL.

With regard to the basement, you could use it there but not sure its best.

This type of flooring and other woods/laminates, if not glued to a sub-floor of some sort like plywood, shouldn't have paper under it but rather a vapor barrier consisting of plastic or plastic with a cushion layer between (which is just small styrofoam dots sandwiched between two pieces of plastic).

Whatever you choose, just realize that wood does not do tremendously well with damp locations because of how it swells.

I have heard from more than one person who installed bamboo flooring, and regretted it. Floor started showing hairline splits/cracks shortly after installation, and there is no way to fix it. Spend a little more and get something better.
For those who have below grade floors, get the engineered flooring (Pergo is great) - again you get what you pay for. I have my Pergo done 7 years ago, and it looks like the day I installed it.

As someone who recently cheaped out a bit on flooring (which is anything but "water-resistant"), I echo the sentiment that you get what you pay for.

abbubakir said:   I have heard from more than one person who installed bamboo flooring, and regretted it. Floor started showing hairline splits/cracks shortly after installation, and there is no way to fix it. Spend a little more and get something better.
For those who have below grade floors, get the engineered flooring (Pergo is great) - again you get what you pay for. I have my Pergo done 7 years ago, and it looks like the day I installed it.

My guess would be they installed cheap/basic bamboo as opposed to a stranded, which is much harder and more moisture resistant. We've had a stranded Bamboo floor in a bathroom for years, still in perfect condition.

Janka rating is only 1180 this will scratch very easily.  I love the color though but I prefer a stranded bamboo.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/flooring/JankaRating

scratches really easy. avoid.

Cheap price for cheap materials. Please keep in mind that all bamboo floor scratches easily and cannot be resurface.

I actually used this product as a bar top in my basement. It looks beatifull, but after just a couple months of use as a counter, it is showing a lot of scratches and dings. i would hate to see what walking on it would do.

Can you install these on the ceiling?

uberjackxiao 

Deep freeze broke pipe and flooded basement.  Prior to flooding had carpet and pad directly on concrete floor.  My house in at top of a little hill so I don't have any natural flooding problems.

I just installed laminate in my basement. It is a process. 
First I had to lay landscaping cloth (weed guard) over the entire floor.  Next layer was platon (dimpled plastic/building wrap.  I bought it from Minards and had it shipped to my house --- still MUCH cheaper than Dri-core.  Landscaping cloth keep the plastic from clicking on the concrete floor.)
Next layer was 7/16 OSB 4 x 8 sheets (you can lay laminate with pad direclty on the platon, but OSB better distributes weight) screwed to the floor with tapcon screws (a hammer drill is a must - pre-drill hole, add cauking to maintain vapor barrier and screw)
Next layer depends on what flooring you want.  Foam pad and laminate, luan and vinyl, pad and carpet.

Five layers and about 1 inch higher floor (make sure your doors can handle that or you may have to cut your doors.

It's a good price for non-stranded. I currently have 5/8" stranded throughout my home with exception of the bathrooms (tile). I even have my home gym with anti-fatigue mats above the bamboo for working out. One day my triceps failed during a flat bench dumbell chest press and 80lbs hit the floor. The antifatigue mat split and it made a small dent in the bamboo.

I wouldn't hesitate in using this cheap stuff in a less expensive home.

My question would be how well this holds up to heavy foot traffic?

Used this in my lake house. It looks beautiful and holds up well. My floor was creaky strand board, with this it is rock solid and quiet. Cleans easily and seems to be as hard as most oak. Still pretty and tight after a year and way way better than any laminate I have seen. Pergo? Yeah right, it screams fake. Engineered hardwood that dents easily costs up to 4 times this. Oak anywhere near the price is seconds and pieces 12 inches long. Easier to install than laminate too in that it tolerates uneven floors and with just roofing paper as underlayment and simple nail gun install why fight with bent edges on laminate and interlock schemes that do not work. Solid wood so yes you can refinish it.

radsteresque said:   Used this in my lake house. It looks beautiful and holds up well. My floor was creaky strand board, with this it is rock solid and quiet. Cleans easily and seems to be as hard as most oak. Still pretty and tight after a year and way way better than any laminate I have seen. Pergo? Yeah right, it screams fake. Engineered hardwood that dents easily costs up to 4 times this. Oak anywhere near the price is seconds and pieces 12 inches long. Easier to install than laminate too in that it tolerates uneven floors and with just roofing paper as underlayment and simple nail gun install why fight with bent edges on laminate and interlock schemes that do not work. Solid wood so yes you can refinish it.
  It may help others if you happen to have a pic of the floor installed.

You are correct though, this flooring is solid and can be refinished. Again you are correct in that it is just as hardy as other real hardwood floors.

Part of the charm of having real hardwoods is that over time it collects patina. Engineered hardwood although hardier (no pun there lol) is not as rich looking and sounds horrible to walk on when wearing dress shoes or heels.  And it doesn't collect patina, it just cracks if hit hard enough. I revisited this because I told a friend about it. His house is less than a block away from the ocean and like mine is elevated on stilts, so the flooring needs to be glued down to the subfloor which is plywood. He is comparing this to Floor and Decor which has basically the same thing for 1.69/sq (with no need to purchase pallets or half pallets). Oh and those that used this in wet areas, it will warp if it gets soaked and the liquid allowed to stand; so not for bathrooms nor kitchens.

If I were in the market right now I think I would choose this, because I fully expect that within 10 years my house will need remodeling again due to flooding from a hurricane.

freejunkmail said:   Can you install these on the ceiling?
  Was ready to buy for the ceiling of a screened porch, but the plank lengths (37.75") are too short and will not work well with 16" o.c. framed rafters.  Too much waste.

I have used the different combination of floors for my home. I have used the hardwood and carpet flooring for the living area and only hardwood for kitchen. Got the best deal of customized floor from Carpet Sale Chantilly .

Anyone get a half pallet?

my brother has a flooring business, says bamboo is scratchtastic

skh12 said:   my brother has a flooring business, says bamboo is scratchtastic
Your brother must not have broad knowledge of flooring then, depends on the specific bamboo.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014