• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Save $20 on Amazon Prime - beat the new price increase...Here's an easy way to get Amazon price - at the current rate - regardless of when your current one expires - you will get it at the same rate prior to the increase...Current rate is $79 and the new price increased rate is going to be $99 starting tomorrow (3/16)! Do it today....

Link to How-To video 

Direct link to purchase Amazon Prime Gift for $79 

Moderator Comment: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here. — Mar. 15, 2014 @ 6:03pm
Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Amazon Prime (176.74kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Not a big deal to most, but if it's shipped UPS SmartPost (or whatever their equivalent is) you can't use UPS MyChoice t... (more)

BADADVICE (Mar. 30, 2014 @ 6:30p) |

Looks dead now - here's what is on gift membership page now:
<<<The gift of Prime is $99 for one year >>>

judysue (Mar. 31, 2014 @ 9:50p) |

FWIW, my $79 gift to myself applied today @ $79. I bought it for myself on 3/16/2014. So all that took advantage of this... (more)

coolbreeze (May. 19, 2014 @ 7:25a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
So theoretically, could I buy a few of these and gift myself for the next few years?

rated:
JetSetter said:   Save $20 on Amazon Prime - beat the new price increase...Here's an easy way to get Amazon price - at the current rate - regardless of when your current one expires - you will get it at the same rate prior to the increase...Current rate is $79 and the new price increased rate is going to be $99 starting tomorrow (3/16)! Do it today....

Link to How-To video 

Not so fast - literally. First, check your Amazon Prime management page. I checked mine and discovered that while I am not due to renew until April 15, 2014, that I am essentially being grandfathered in at the $79/yer price until April 15, 2015. I logged on prepared to cancel but those sons of b at Amazon all but read my mind and talked me out of it with this finesse. Smart boys and girls there at Amazon.

rated:
GreenTrash said:   
JetSetter said:   Save $20 on Amazon Prime - beat the new price increase...Here's an easy way to get Amazon price - at the current rate - regardless of when your current one expires - you will get it at the same rate prior to the increase...Current rate is $79 and the new price increased rate is going to be $99 starting tomorrow (3/16)! Do it today....

Link to How-To video 

Not so fast - literally. First, check your Amazon Prime management page. I checked mine and discovered that while I am not due to renew until April 15, 2014, that I am essentially being grandfathered in at the $79/yer price until April 15, 2015. I logged on prepared to cancel but those sons of b at Amazon all but read my mind and talked me out of it with this finesse. Smart boys and girls there at Amazon.

So - theoretically you could still gift yourself a $79 Prime STARTING April 15, 2015 and have it for yet another year (through 2016) right?

rated:
MicahMc said:   
So - theoretically you could still gift yourself a $79 Prime STARTING April 15, 2015 and have it for yet another year (through 2016) right?

Time value of money.

rated:
Are the people who are angered by the $20 increase going to stop shopping on Amazon and buy elsewhere? or are they just going to use the free shipping option and wait the few extra days for every order?

It is less than a $2/month increase to still be able to get nearly everything to your door in two days and people are freaking out...

rated:
 Direct Link on site above shows " Amazon will send your gift recipient an email on the day you choose, along with redemption instructions. The gift recipient can start their Prime membership right away. If the recipient is already a Prime member, the gift can be exchanged for an Amazon.com Gift Card. The one-year gift membership does not automatically renew."  Have to view the CNET link consequentially and do follow the steps very clearly. Also it seems the $79 is now taxed in CA(!)

rated:
labboypro said:   
MicahMc said:   

Time value of money. 

Amazon Prime increasing from $79 to $99 is a 25.32% increase.

Look at it like this:  You're taking out up-to-roughly-a 1 year CD at 25.32%!!!!

Tell me how I can get a better guaranteed rate of return on that money in the next year and you can have half of the difference!

rated:
If you cancel they will try to get you back. I had the $40 per year student plan. They would not renew me at that rate unless I provided proof such a student ID. I simply did not renew at all instead of paying $80 per year. They've recently started charging sales tax for my State which will curtain my shopping somewhat. About a week later they sent me an email saying they had reconsidered and I could renewed at the $40 rate so I did.

rated:
spacejamz said:   Are the people who are angered by the $20 increase going to stop shopping on Amazon and buy elsewhere? or are they just going to use the free shipping option and wait the few extra days for every order?

It is less than a $2/month increase to still be able to get nearly everything to your door in two days and people are freaking out...

I am on $59 membership, and not going to renew. Will wait few extra days.

rated:
I got Amazon prime -- finally -- maybe three months ago.  I see it as a great value, sorry I waited so long.  It does annoy me, in that so many movies I'd be interested in seeing are behind their lame-o paywall, same reason I cancelled out of Netflix. But there are "some" movies anyways, and not having to play the game of getting over $35 for free shipping is great -- now, I order it when I want it.  It is expensive, but so are nice cars and pretty women -- you're going to pay extra for what people know you want.

I say either clam up and pay the toll or don't -- you pays your money and takes your choice.

rated:
Even at $99 my Prime membership will be worth it's weight in gold with last minute shopping at Christmastime.
No complaints from me. Been a happy member since Amazon started the program in 2005. 

rated:
Link on site above now shows " Amazon will send your gift recipient an email on the day you choose, along with redemption instructions. The gift recipient can start their Prime membership right away. If the recipient is already a Prime member, the gift can be exchanged for an Amazon.com Gift Card. The one-year gift membership does not automatically renew." Only for new subscribers, apparently.

rated:
My membership ends 3/14/14 and it shows $79.  If I buy a membership today when do I apply it?  Can I then go back and use automatic renewal for 2014, then get $79 for 2015?

rated:
I logon and my Prime Management page show this message "On August 01, 2014, you will be charged $99 for another year of Prime." I might have to try this method or thinking about canceling altogether.

rated:
I wonder how much $$ the Cnet video guy got for Prime referral bonuses from that URL shorter address in his video.

rated:
I still think $99 is a fair deal. I use the crap out of Prime, and the Video is OK. You all do know that you can share your Prime shipping benefits with 4 other people who can chip in on the cost to reduce your cost? My 4 people paid me $20 each, enough to cover my whole prime account.

rated:
spacejamz said:   Are the people who are angered by the $20 increase going to stop shopping on Amazon and buy elsewhere? or are they just going to use the free shipping option and wait the few extra days for every order?

$2/month or 6 cents/day or ....
If the $ increase is so small, why Amazon bothered to increase price and risk losing customers. if only 2-3% customer quit shopping at Amazon because of this increase, Amazon will lose all the benefits that they expect because of increase...
Amazon is desperate to increase its margin stream since they are not much money in retail. Sales tax charging is not helping either.

rated:
This increase will make Amazon 300-400+ million per year which is not chump change. It will also allow them to offer more as part of the Prime "package". My personal guess is that 100% of these funds will go into adding perks into Prime like the free streaming radio service they will likely announce soon as well as more content. 

Prime was $79 per year before the free lending library and before the free instant video collection. Do I use either? Rarely I use the video stuff when Netflix is down or something but that is about it. Do I think it still makes since at $99 per year? It depends on the customer. I think some folks paying for it now don't get their actual money out of it and with the increase that (small) percentage will get a bit bigger but for most folks this is still a no-brainer. 

The upside to the increase? It was going to be $119 before they decided to ease folks in with a 2 digit number.

Do I think they will lose some Prime members? Absolutely. Do I think they care? Nope, as the gains are better than the losses. 

I am calling it now...within 3 years Prime will be $30 per 3 months. That is how they will market it the next increase. 

rated:
snork615 said:    Direct Link on site above shows " Amazon will send your gift recipient an email on the day you choose, along with redemption instructions. The gift recipient can start their Prime membership right away. If the recipient is already a Prime member, the gift can be exchanged for an Amazon.com Gift Card. The one-year gift membership does not automatically renew."  Have to view the CNET link consequentially and do follow the steps very clearly. Also it seems the $79 is now taxed in CA(!)
  Also taxed in WI
But, I saved the $20 increase with this post
Thanks OP 

rated:
Biggerfool said:   This increase will make Amazon 300-400+ million per year which is not chump change. It will also allow them to offer more as part of the Prime "package". My personal guess is that 100% of these funds will go into adding perks into Prime like the free streaming radio service they will likely announce soon as well as more content. 

Prime was $79 per year before the free lending library and before the free instant video collection. Do I use either? Rarely I use the video stuff when Netflix is down or something but that is about it. Do I think it still makes since at $99 per year? It depends on the customer. I think some folks paying for it now don't get their actual money out of it and with the increase that (small) percentage will get a bit bigger but for most folks this is still a no-brainer. 

The upside to the increase? It was going to be $119 before they decided to ease folks in with a 2 digit number.

Do I think they will lose some Prime members? Absolutely. Do I think they care? Nope, as the gains are better than the losses. 

I am calling it now...within 3 years Prime will be $30 per 3 months. That is how they will market it the next increase. 

$300-$400 million? Really.? At its "Prime" (pun intended)  Amazon prime members topped out at 10 Million in early 2013. In a perfect world that would equate to a $200 million increase not $300-$400mill. However, just prior to this price increase Amazon disclosed they have around 8 million Prime members (not Prime memberships) They also disclosed that nearly half of those receive some sort of membership subsidy or are using a shared membership which results in Amazon losing money on these Prime members once operating costs are factored in which the reason they need to increase membership prices.
IMO Prime and its membership costs are irrelevant because Amazon as a retailer power force is diminishing everyday. As they are forced  to collect sales tax in more and more states Amazon as a retailer is quickly becoming irrelevant.

rated:
As a deal hunter I find that Amazon is not the cheapest site to buy most of the stuff. I often find better deals on eBay, Newegg and other various websites. I tempted by prime, but it's really not worth it unless you ready to deal with Amazon all the time.

rated:
i did use the heck out of my prime when items were not add-ons & no sales tax a few years ago.  then sales tax plus most items i want to get are add-ons, i stopped buying often or find 3rd party seller with comparable price w/free shipping and buy from them (no tax too.)  

i still have my student prime thru november so i'll wait and see.

rated:
Thanks OP for the heads-up that the gift at $79 expires today. (Saw this on Lifehacker on Thursday and had been mulling it over.) Prime member since '08 and we are using it more and more often, so pulled the trigger and purchased another year.

rated:
Guys. Lets look at this entire Prime thing. Amazon is making $$ on it big time. The "free 2 day shipping" is nothing more than Amazon shipping from a warehouse that has a shipping partner which can meet that 2 day or 1 day delivery time. Granted you pay for the next day but that too is discounted.

Now, that said, Amazon is simply shipping your order the day you place it rather than several days later. All you are buying here is the opportunity to get your order SHIPPED sooner than later.

It's quite simple and genius on Amazon's side.

rated:
Prime is great for buying those cheap aftermarket toners that cost $10-$15. Many times these arrive the next day in CA.  Free two days shipping make them great use of Prime.

edit: As a seller on Amazon Marketplace, I can sell stuff at much higher price.  Quite amazing, this goes to show that people shop directly on Amazon rather than Google it.  

rated:
I'm a stickler for customer service, and for me, Amazon is hard to top.

Wife has a problem with her car? I can place an order from work on Wed., knowing the parts will be on my doorstep on Friday for a weekend repair.

Missing a cable/component for a sound system or computer upgrade? I'll have it in time for the weekend, when I plan to assemble the parts.

Need something quickly that local stores bend you over for (like printer ink)? The Canon 4-pack is $54 @ Staples and $42.51 at Amazon. One of these choices wastes no gasoline.

Want to watch something that Netflix doesn't have (or cannot rent to you online), Amazon usually has you covered. Documentaries are very frequently free as well.

Make a mistake in your shipping address 3 days before Christmas? I spoke to a LIVE person and got it corrected at 10pm local time. Who else answers the phone at that hour?

I would seriously consider buying Prime at twice the price (though I wouldn't enjoy it near as much)

Each person has to weigh their own past experiences. Good luck..

rated:
ZombieHunter said:   I still think $99 is a fair deal. I use the crap out of Prime, and the Video is OK. You all do know that you can share your Prime shipping benefits with 4 other people who can chip in on the cost to reduce your cost? My 4 people paid me $20 each, enough to cover my whole prime account.

Wait, how does that work?  You let them buy through your Amazon account?  I hope that's the case.  

rated:
I think they each have their own accounts buy you share the prime membership. You really would not want friends to access your account as they could buy things and charge your payment method instead of their own.

rated:
I love my Prime but wish they would do this a la carte.  I like the free shipping but don't use the Kindle Library or their streaming service.  Give us the 2 day shipping for $79, and add $10 if you want the streaming and $10 for the KIndle LIbrary or something like that...

rated:
geezlouise said:   Even at $99 my Prime membership will be worth it's weight in gold...

At $1382/ounce, that's equal to exactly $0.00.

rated:
Cool, worked for us
Thx

rated:
zapy said:   Guys. Lets look at this entire Prime thing. Amazon is making $$ on it big time. The "free 2 day shipping" is nothing more than Amazon shipping from a warehouse that has a shipping partner which can meet that 2 day or 1 day delivery time. Granted you pay for the next day but that too is discounted.

Now, that said, Amazon is simply shipping your order the day you place it rather than several days later. All you are buying here is the opportunity to get your order SHIPPED sooner than later.

That's not correct. They get it to you in 2 days even if it's not in a local warehouse that's within 2 days normal delivery for you. And Amazon typically ships orders the same day, even if it's not marked as shipped. Amazon seems not to show it as shipped until it's trackable. So they may be using a slower shipping method that takes longer to get to your local depot (at which point they'll say it is shipped), as opposed to giving it right to the shipper that's going to deliver it to you. Basically they're skipping whatever tricks they have for saving themselves money on shipping.

rated:
zapy said:   I think they each have their own accounts buy you share the prime membership. You really would not want friends to access your account as they could buy things and charge your payment method instead of their own.

That's how it works.  But it's only meant for others living in the same household.

(you may share your free Two-Day shipping benefit with up to four household members)

rated:
billrubin said:   
zapy said:   Guys. Lets look at this entire Prime thing. Amazon is making $$ on it big time. The "free 2 day shipping" is nothing more than Amazon shipping from a warehouse that has a shipping partner which can meet that 2 day or 1 day delivery time. Granted you pay for the next day but that too is discounted.

That's not correct. They get it to you in 2 days even if it's not in a local warehouse that's within 2 days normal delivery for you. And Amazon typically ships orders the same day, even if it's not marked as shipped. Amazon seems not to show it as shipped until it's trackable. So they may be using a slower shipping method that takes longer to get to your local depot (at which point they'll say it is shipped), as opposed to giving it right to the shipper that's going to deliver it to you. Basically they're skipping whatever tricks they have for saving themselves money on shipping.

Few times, this backfires on them, specially when they switch to USPS and they take an extra day for no reason, or they screw up and send it to the wrong postal distribution center.   I never have issues with Fedex or UPS direct deliveries - these come on the day they are supposed to.  

That said, sometimes it works for our advantage, specially with Saturday deliveries.  And if the item is in a local distribution point, I've got Saturday afternoon orders delivered on Monday.

BTW, my prime will renew on September 2014 at $79 and will switch to $99 in September 2015.  I had a couple of botched orders a few times (badly packaged items, or a next day escalation taking a week for example) and ended up with Prime extensions as part of the resolution and I guess it's why...  

rated:
I figure that most packages for my 2 day shipping would cost me at least $5 per package if not more, so that's 4 extra orders per year for our family. We had over 250 orders from Amazon last year, so considering all the time I save not driving to the store, and on gas, and on extra things that I'd likely pick up at the store, the prime is still worth it.

Now I couldn't see the benefit of Prime Fresh. The grocery store is too convenient for us and the prices at Fresh aren't normally all that great.

rated:
cnIsfg said:   
Biggerfool said:   This increase will make Amazon 300-400+ million per year which is not chump change. It will also allow them to offer more as part of the Prime "package". My personal guess is that 100% of these funds will go into adding perks into Prime like the free streaming radio service they will likely announce soon as well as more content. 

$300-$400 million? Really.? At its "Prime" (pun intended)  Amazon prime members topped out at 10 Million in early 2013. In a perfect world that would equate to a $200 million increase not $300-$400mill. However, just prior to this price increase Amazon disclosed they have around 8 million Prime members (not Prime memberships) They also disclosed that nearly half of those receive some sort of membership subsidy or are using a shared membership which results in Amazon losing money on these Prime members once operating costs are factored in which the reason they need to increase membership prices.
IMO Prime and its membership costs are irrelevant because Amazon as a retailer power force is diminishing everyday. As they are forced  to collect sales tax in more and more states Amazon as a retailer is quickly becoming irrelevant.

I am using the figures that most articles on this subject are using. "Mark Mahaney, an Amazon watcher at RBC Capital Markets, wrote in a note to investors that the price increase will generate more than $300 million in operating income. He assumes that 1 percent to 5 percent of Prime’s estimated 20 million members will bail from the service but looks to membership price increases by Amazon’s crosstown rival Costco (COST) as evidence that the impact should be soft. This was part of Bloomberg's Businessweek artcle on the subject as well as fool.com and many more. 

So unless you feel you know more about Amazon's numbers than someone who works full time watching Amazon about this subject, I would say I am right.

As for Amazon's retail power slipping, I agree that sales tax will impact them but way less than you would expect. I see their retail share increasing for another 5-10 years with the only real slow down being someone actually challenging them stronger than anyone has in the past. Maybe if WalMart woke up and stopped playing around online they would start hurting Amazon but until then Amazon will keep kicking butt. 

I am willing to go on record with this. Check my prediction in 5 years.

rated:
Done!

rated:

It's quite simple and genius on Amazon's side.

Their technique worked on me. I let my Prime lapse a month ago and it took over 10 days to receive my order of items that were all "In Stock". I'm not going to plan my life two weeks in advance just to make sure I am in town to receive my packages whenever they get around to sending them after the delay to punish me for not having Prime. I renewed a couple weeks ago.

Skipping 112 Messages...
rated:
FWIW, my $79 gift to myself applied today @ $79. I bought it for myself on 3/16/2014. So all that took advantage of this loophoole are good to go!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014