• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
davemanfl said:   .

davemanfl said:   Never 10 ream cases the mini cases and after REBATE Vendor funds the rebate

So Staples is funding the rebate for the Staples brand mini cases?

I just wonder how Staples can make money from those papers.

thaitrunghieu said:   I just wonder how Staples can make money from those papers.

1. Draw traffic into their stores to buy other full-price stuff.
2. Pray that people forget to do the rebate.
3. Hope that people lose the rebate Visa card or don't spend it all.

davemanfl said:   Sarah Yes you would be if they continued to give away cases of paper for $1.49.Do you really think it's right to get a case of paper for $1.49

Sounds to me like a lot of people have been drinking the fluoride and eating gmos way too long. I don't need the paper and I don't need to do business with a retailer that hires abusive employees. Look at the landscape of empty store fronts...lol.

Why the rage for rebates? The industry's open secret is that fully 40% of all rebates never get redeemed
because consumers fail to apply for them or their applications are rejected

SOURCE
http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2005-11-22/the-great-rebate-...
========================

To me, 40% sounds high, maybe for a rebate of $50  it is 40%
For me I redeem 110% of them....

gd78 said:   
thaitrunghieu said:   I just wonder how Staples can make money from those papers.

I guess so but it's kinda hard to image I would fall into any of those above. I hope they are doing good business to keep giving me free papers. I don't need that many but the non profit organization that I'm in always have a need for papers

yesidonoitall said:   Why the rage for rebates? The industry's open secret is that fully 40% of all rebates never get redeemed

SOURCE
http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2005-11-22/the-great-rebate-... 
========================

To me, 40% sounds high, maybe for a rebate of $50  it is 40%
For me I redeem 110% of them....

Thanks. It's a good read.

2005, but still good.

yesidonoitall said:   Why the rage for rebates? The industry's open secret is that fully 40% of all rebates never get redeemed

I'm sure that the redemption rate for rebates that can be submitted online like SER is much higher.

Reserve and PU worked for me this morning. Must have beat the corporate memo? $1.61 Out the door. The manager was the one that rang me up. I thought I was doomed, but I just played it cool and it went through. He even offered to carry it out to my car. I guess I was a lucky one.

billrubin said:   

I'm sure that the redemption rate for rebates that can be submitted online like SER is much higher.

When the Staples employees see me use my rebate cards, they always say "Wow, you actually fill out the rebates? People keep complaining that they never get the rebates back"

RedSombrero said:   2005, but still good.
The article doesn't really apply, but not because of the date.  Without needing to mail anything in, Staples 'Easy' rebates get claimed more in the 90%+ range from what I've heard (someone that reportedly used to work for Staples).  Add to that the fact that the larger % of the total that the rebate is, the more people are likely to submit it.  So for Free after rebate items (ie. 100% rebate), or nearly free like many of these Staples deals are, the redemptions rates are even higher.

Danzilla said:   
RedSombrero said:   2005, but still good.
The article doesn't really apply, but not because of the date.  Staples 'Easy' rebates get claimed more in the 90%+ range from what I've heard (someone that reportedly used to work for Staples).  Add to that the fact that the larger % of the total that the rebate is, the more people are likely to submit it.  So for Free after rebate items (ie. 100% rebate), or nearly free like many of these Staples deals are, the redemptions rates are even higher.

google had no mention of the Staples ER in particular
But yes, the ease of submitting them would make it much higher redemption than the norm.
I also buy plenty of HP and Toshiba laptops from Office Depot, if they only had online redemption of rebates.

Another annoyance is the Toshiba limit of 5 per person, unlike HP's unlimited.

gd78 said:   When the Staples employees see me use my rebate cards, they always say "Wow, you actually fill out the rebates? People keep complaining that they never get the rebates back"
Interesting. The common complaint I hear from other customers is that they never get their Rewards, which I suspect is much worse now that you have to go online to get it.

The funniest question I get is when the cashiers give me the rebate forms and ask if I've ever done one. I tell them "only a few hundred".

billrubin said:   The funniest question I get is when the cashiers give me the rebate forms and ask if I've ever done one. I tell them "only a few hundred".
... "this month".    

gd78 said:   

4. price it well above market value(Costco is $42 day in, day out for a case of paper.  At $53, Staples paper is > 20% over that competitor).  When nn% fail to submit SER, that drives up per unit margins (article linked above calls it breakage/slippage).  For the reams (priced at $8 each!!) they are WELL above market price when you compare with WalMart's everyday $3/ream price.  If HALF of the people break/slip, then Staples is still netting _$4_ per ream for $3 worth of paper.  

Rebates are simply a numbers game.  Staples is a heavy price seeker/price searcher marketplace... much like the airlines, where one guy gets a seat for $39 (which doesn't cover the cost of fuel), but the guy right next to him pays $599, which covers fuel for both people, plus operating expenses, plus a little profit... for both people.  Staples makes lots of money on some (the break/slip people), less money on some (the ones who added on full-price items with their FAR purchase), and little/no money on others (us).  It averages out (or, at least it's supposed to... Staples is still struggling with their financials).

$52.99. Is this dead or does kiosk have a different price?

Link now shows as mentioned, $52.99 and also now in my store, how odd.....

yesidonoitall said:   Link now shows as mentioned, $52.99 and also now in my store, how odd.....
It was an advertised 2 day online deal ... 3/19 to 3/20; today is 3/21.  

I got an email today from Staples. It shows this paper as a special buy for 26.49. But when I click on the link the price changes to 52.99.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
yesidonoitall said:   Link now shows as mentioned, $52.99 and also now in my store, how odd.....
It was an advertised 2 day online deal ... 3/19 to 3/20; today is 3/21.  

Yes, I will be more clear, IT is quite odd, now that the price is up, they have stock in my store.....

scottvm said:   I got an email today from Staples. It shows this paper as a special buy for 26.49. But when I click on the link the price changes to 52.99.
  Contrary to popular belief, eMail may or may not be in real time...
They can float around between the internets before you get them....sometimes for days......
Thats why you can set your eMail to show as
RECEIVED
or as by
DATE SENT.

I once heard some guy refer to the "internets"  so I do now, who was that guy?

I just paid for a case and got the $7 off and $25 off. I stopped by on Wed and printed a delivery order at the kiosk. Went back today to pick up a few other things plus this. The coupon beeped but manager was right nearby and he overrode it. They were busy and he didn't really care about a $7 coupon not working correctly - had more important things to do.

You are doing better than me by a long margin as the store I frequent will not accept the 10/50 if you are buying the 5 ream and hammermill. I don't see a need to argue but I have been told that by 2 different checkers. Thing is if you reserve your paper you get 2 5 ream and one hammermill for $1.15 AR

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014