• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-DVR785BLKKITWM/29531768

Mounts will work with most GoPros and other action cameras too.

Walmart
Need a Walmart coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

vivitar
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I bought this at a higher price. Nice little Camera. However it does not have HDMI out or TV out as stated in the original posting.
Has mini USB to full USB cord. All the extra mounts are great and have the standard screw so they work with most other cameras.

Mine broke the first use. The threaded insert is plastic and strips easily with minimal effort. At $20 though you cant beat it if only for the gopro mounts alone.

Great, even if used once.... The mounts are worth it alone.

The 787HD (vs the OP's 785HD) is available for $39, and gives you full 1080p

Anyone know if this is good enough to read licence plates on a dash cam? I always come across the worst drivers in San Diego.

If you are just getting the 785HD for the accessories to use for a gopro then this deal is worth it! I got the 787HD version and I think it's pretty good.

thinksnow said:   The 787HD (vs the OP's 785HD ) is available for $39, and gives you full 1080p
  Or buy two 785HD's and get 1440p for the same price

DenverDiver said:   
thinksnow said:   The 787HD (vs the OP's 785HD ) is available for $39, and gives you full 1080p
  Or buy two 785HD's and get 1440p for the same price

LOL!

How long does a full charge last? And does it come with a car charger for dashcam use?

Yeah, I'm wanting a little dashcam too.

Gonna have to do some googling tonight I guess.

Any idea how waterproof the waterproof housing is? Does it just make it OK in rain/surfing, or can I take it to 120ft under water?

Edited to add that the 787 version described the waterproof housing as good to 30ft.  Not suitable for SCUBA.

Just reviewed one of my videos.  I can not read a license plate unless the car is only 20 foot or less in front of me.

I've been using it as a dashcam and have used it 50+ minutes and it still had power left.
The big issue I have with it though, you can't have it plugged in to a power source (USB) and record at the same time.
If plugged into a usb power source it forces the camera into some other mode, thinking it is connected to a computer.

The resolution is not good enough to make out license plates.  Also it doesn't have very good low light sensitivity.
The mounting accessories are worth the price though, which influenced me to buy it.  It is a standard tripod thread
size, so should work with just about any camera that can be tripod mounted.

Edit:  I bought a JVC adixxion cam ($150 at the time) and was using it as a dash cam.  I prefer using this $20 camera over it now, except for the
power issue.  Also - someone asked if it came with a car charger. No it does not, but any usb car charger will work with it.  You just can't record
with it while its plugged in charging.

Went with the 787 model.  THANKS!

I bought one for my high school senior to mount on this graduation cap... I thought it would be a great way
to capture his own graduation from his perspective... he nixed the idea... I thought that generation was the one thinking outside the box?!? I guess not in this case.

Just want to let people know I just tested my 787HD in my car, and it has a Car Recording mode.  In car mode it can recharge itself via cigarette lighter as I record.  It'll also automatically shut off when my car is turned off (because lighter power is cut).   Those of you who want a car camera might want to look into 787HD, since some of you report 785HD can't be charged and recorded at same time.

Prngr44 said:   Yeah, I'm wanting a little dashcam too.

Gonna have to do some googling tonight I guess.

Go to youtube and find some reviews on car dash cam, there's one I got from eBay for $30 shipped that's worked great.  Obviously some Q/C as the first one I got arrived not working correctly.  But this 2nd one has been great even leaving it in my car during the freezing cold winter below freezing the LCD did not crack.  The real test however is if it can take the heat in the summer but this unit is slides off easily from the mount so it's not as a hassle to take out.

I use to use a FlipHD many years ago and the recharging and removing from the car on a screw mount became a pain.  It couldn't last more than 1 hour due to the internal space and then i need to have an extra battery pack.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014