Voting History
rated:

RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity
Disclaimer

RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity
Disclaimer

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Rhino ramps don't seem flimsy at all- I have a set and I like them much better than my jack and stands for anything not ... (more)

dzer0 (Apr. 04, 2014 @ 12:34p) |

Good deal I have these and like them

ArtieLange (Apr. 28, 2014 @ 11:27p) |

Shows $44.99 for me now

ArtieLange (May. 03, 2014 @ 12:33a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've often debated ramps vs jack + stands. Ramps are cheaper and faster to utilize. But jack/stands provide more versatility (can lift all 4 tires, can raise vehicle much higher than 6.5", don't require driving/moving the car). Saying one is safer over the other seems debatable. Anyone have other thoughts?

Green for OP, though, since this seems like a good price.

i use both for different situations and do not sweat the details. with jacks i always double up with extra blocks of wood, or a tire rim as a backup.

Dotbody said:   I've often debated ramps vs jack + stands. Ramps are cheaper and faster to utilize. But jack/stands provide more versatility (can lift all 4 tires, can raise vehicle much higher than 6.5", don't require driving/moving the car). Saying one is safer over the other seems debatable. Anyone have other thoughts?

Green for OP, though, since this seems like a good price.

I use ramps for oil changes and jack stands for other things (obviously you can't rotate tires with just ramps).  Just an FYI, when I first bought these ramps I wanted to use jack stands in addition to try to be extra safe, but jack stands are too tall to fit under the car when the car is on ramps.  Since then I've gotten used to using plastic ramps and being under the car and I do feel safe, but FYI.  I have these ramps and they have served me well.

I have ramps and I personally like them better than jack stands. I mostly use the ramps for oil changes and replacing small parts and the like. I find them easier to use and I have more confidence climbing under the car than making sure I have the jack stands just right.

The only time I would use my jack is like you said dotbody and needing to get all four wheels up. Which I never do. There may be other reasons, but for all my purposes, I prefer the ramps.

Side note, I bought mine from advanced auto using coupons and giftcards years ago, but it seems their prices aren't as competitive anymore. Green for OP.

Dotbody said:   I've often debated ramps vs jack + stands. Ramps are cheaper and faster to utilize. But jack/stands provide more versatility (can lift all 4 tires, can raise vehicle much higher than 6.5", don't require driving/moving the car). Saying one is safer over the other seems debatable. Anyone have other thoughts?

I use a jack + stands for changing/rotating tires, brake inspections, etc
I use ramps for the things when I'm not dealing with wheels/tires: oil changes, etc

Ramps are great for oil changes, replacing oxygen sensors, exhaust work, and any under-car maintenance that doesn't require pulling off a wheel or a lot of under-car clearance. It's also far quicker to drive up on ramps.

Alternately, if you have a local Harbor Freight, you can get ramps for less with the 25% or 20% off coupon.

Metal
http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-steel-auto-ramp-set-68365.htm...

Poly
http://www.harborfreight.com/magnum-16000-auto-ramp-set-with-bui...

I bought these from Advanced Auto a few years ago for about the same price, they're great. I use them all the time to change my oil and whatever else doesn't require taking a wheel off. Like most of my fellow fatwalleters, I think they're quicker and safer than a jack and stands.

I also bought these a few years ago from Advance and they're very good ramps. You feel confident doing work underneath the car due to the sturdy build. And these are especially useful if you have a car with lower clearance. $39.99 is a very good price for the 12,000lb ones.

ZombieHunter said:   Alternately, if you have a local Harbor Freight, you can get ramps for less with the 25% or 20% off coupon.

Poly

Those poly ones have scary reviews.

Unless my car is warmed up, I'd rather use jack stands.

+1

I bought these a little over a month ago. I was more comfortable getting a manual transmission car up on them than an automatic transmission car, both 4 cylinder Honda's. Can confirm personally that these work for 03-07 Accord and 2012+ Civic, also checked to make sure someone used them with a 2010+ Prius before I bought. In all cars I just referenced it puts the oil drain plug downhill so you get more of the old oil out.

Advance auto with the 20$ off 50$ coupon and a couple filler items = better deal.

Edit actually they fixed it you cant use coupons on the ramps anymore..

but they are on sale for 39.99 for 12k, and 44.99 for 16k.

djesque said:   Ramps are great for oil changes, replacing oxygen sensors, exhaust work, and any under-car maintenance that doesn't require pulling off a wheel or a lot of under-car clearance. It's also far quicker to drive up on ramps.

Ramps are great for oil change?  You have to start your car and drive it up the ramp.  Not good for the car and battery with short run time.  And if you do have a warm running engine and drive it up the ramp you need to wait for it to cool down.  Jack + stand is a much better choice.

As for safety, both have their down side.
Ramp:
- have to line up the wheel, I have to constantly come out to make sure the wheels line up...  (I know I'm too careful)
- careful not to drive over

Jack:
- Locate and put in jack + stand in correct location
- Lock up everything making sure it won't fall down

I am used to be ok with ramp.  Now my current car is too low.  The bumper touches the ramp while the wheel have another 3 inch to reach the ramp.  I'm waiting for a deal on low profile jack + stand.  I've seen ppl use Jack and it seem to be a lot better and faster.  Of course for me I will add in a few extra precaution...  maybe use my ramp with the jack. 

randi4ni said:   
Edit actually they fixed it you cant use coupons on the ramps anymore..

but they are on sale for 39.99 for 12k, and 44.99 for 16k.

yep, coupon exclude everything that is useful.  lol

WorkerAnt said:   
djesque said:   Ramps are great for oil changes, replacing oxygen sensors, exhaust work, and any under-car maintenance that doesn't require pulling off a wheel or a lot of under-car clearance. It's also far quicker to drive up on ramps.

Ramps are great for oil change?  You have to start your car and drive it up the ramp.  Not good for the car and battery with short run time.  And if you do have a warm running engine and drive it up the ramp you need to wait for it to cool down.  Jack + stand is a muchI  better choice.

It's not terribly difficult to run to the store to get the oil change supplies and then change it when I get home, or wait 20-30mins for it to cool a bit more and change it.  I change my oil when my engine is warm for two reasons:  1) The oil drains faster than it would if it were cold  2) Any contaminants that haven't been caught by the filter should still be in suspension in warm oil, making it more likely that they'll come out of the engine with the old oil.

Back to the topic, have used Rhino Ramps for years without complaint and much prefer them over using a jack and jack stands for oilchanges (jacks and stands do have their uses, like swapping out wheels).

I only change mine after it has reached full operating temperature. Don't know why on earth you would wait for it to cool. Do you go to a quick lube and wait 30 minutes for it to cool before they start?

ZombieHunter said:   Alternately, if you have a local Harbor Freight, you can get ramps for less with the 25% or 20% off coupon.

Metal
http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-steel-auto-ramp-set-68365.htm... 

Poly

My buddy has the harbor frieght ones and they look identical to the ones from pepboys and they are very flimsy and I do not trust them. They bowed out has the car went up the ramps. Check the reviews, not too great. On the other hand I picked up these rhinos a few months ago and are night and day. I trust these as they feel solid.

mikefxu said:   I only change mine after it has reached full operating temperature. Don't know why on earth you would wait for it to cool. Do you go to a quick lube and wait 30 minutes for it to cool before they start?

If you change oil cold you will have more in the pan to remove. The quick lube does it warm because speed is their business model.

Nevermind.

Rhino ramps don't seem flimsy at all- I have a set and I like them much better than my jack and stands for anything not requiring a wheel off- just like everyone else here.

Good deal I have these and like them

Shows $44.99 for me now

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014