• 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
http://www.motorola.com/us/home
Save the date

24 hour sale on May 1

Join us on Thursday, May 1 starting at 12:01am ET for special pricing on a Moto X with no contract. Customize a phone for mom, or yourself, starting at:

16GB starting at $299.99 (regular price $349.99)
32GB starting at $324.99 (regular price $399.99)
Developer Edition $324.99 (regular price $399.99) 

Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
No Microsd = fail.

Krazen1211 (May. 01, 2014 @ 2:53p) |

My data plan is the Verizon unlimited one that I was grandfathered into, so whether I get 3G or 4G is based on my phone'... (more)

raiderj (May. 01, 2014 @ 3:02p) |

I have the G and don't like it.  The screen is too small, the processor is too slow and it doesn't have many advanced fe... (more)

txelcheepo (May. 02, 2014 @ 3:32p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I'm guessing the unlocked version is going to be $349.99 since the non sale $349.99 is only on the no contract Republic Wireless one. If unlocked was $299.99 I'd be very tempted!

rated:
The moto x has been 299 at republicwireless. + a $100 jellybean trade in.

rated:
Thanks OP. Not to TC but $299 for a 16GB, dual core, 1280x720 screen does not seem like a deal, more like what it should normally be.

ETA: Thanks to folks for the additional info and to all the fly-by redders, isn't the whole point of a forum to discuss?

rated:
amhidogha said:   Thanks OP. Not to TC but $299 for a 16GB, dual core, 1280x720 screen does not seem like a deal, more like what it should normally be.

I think you should try a Moto X for a few days before you make a comment like this.  It's are to consider this a dual core device with the extra "special" cores Motorola added in the X8 system. This is an excellent phone.  I get zero lag with this unlike my sons Galaxy S4.  Mostly stock 4.4.2.  The always on voice commands are really useful.  $299 is a great deal for this phone.

rated:
zoid99 said:   amhidogha said:   Thanks OP. Not to TC but $299 for a 16GB, dual core, 1280x720 screen does not seem like a deal, more like what it should normally be.

I think you should try a Moto X for a few days before you make a comment like this.  It's are to consider this a dual core device with the extra "special" cores Motorola added in the X8 system. This is an excellent phone.  I get zero lag with this unlike my sons Galaxy S4.  Mostly stock 4.4.2.  The always on voice commands are really useful.  $299 is a great deal for this phone.

I would agree if the new moto x weren't due soon.

rated:
zoid99 said:   
amhidogha said:   Thanks OP. Not to TC but $299 for a 16GB, dual core, 1280x720 screen does not seem like a deal, more like what it should normally be.

+1 on the always on voice commands. I don't really understand the point of having voice commands if you have to unlock the phone first. Moto X voice commands work without you having to unlock the phone first to use voice command. The Moto X has a dedicated language core to maintain that "always on" listening, even when the screen is off. I don't know of any other Android device that is also capable of this.

The Active Display feature of the Moto X is more useful to me. Not having to unlock the phone to check the message saves a lot of battery.

rated:
Thanks, green.

rated:
OneOfTheLurkers said:   
zoid99 said:   

+1 on the always on voice commands. I don't really understand the point of having voice commands if you have to unlock the phone first. Moto X voice commands work without you having to unlock the phone first to use voice command. The Moto X has a dedicated language core to maintain that "always on" listening, even when the screen is off. I don't know of any other Android device that is also capable of this.

The Active Display feature of the Moto X is more useful to me.

My wife hates her moto X always asking her to continue, from in her purse, on the kitchen table, during a meeting!  It would be great if it was better at detecting the correct voice prompts, but so far it has failed the wife test.  Don't get me wrong, I still think it's an awesome device...but my wife is less than enamored.  It's awesome when google talks from your butt :-P

rated:
ezwrighter said:   OneOfTheLurkers said:   
zoid99 said:   

The Active Display feature of the Moto X is more useful to me.

My wife hates her moto X always asking her to continue, from in her purse, on the kitchen table, during a meeting!  It would be great if it was better at detecting the correct voice prompts, but so far it has failed the wife test.  Don't get me wrong, I still think it's an awesome device...but my wife is less than enamored.  It's awesome when google talks from your butt :-P

In my experience, re-training usually fixes the false detections. Make sure to do it in a quiet room, hold the phone at arm's length and say the "OK Google Now" phrase the same way each time. Hope that helps.

rated:
If they still have the trade-in rebate program, you might be able to get this for around $230 with buying used eBay phone of certain qualified model and trade it in. 

rated:
Had this phone for a couple months now, really enjoying the phone. At this price I'd say it's a sweet deal esp if you are like me grandfathered into unlimited data @ VZW and want to hold on to that.

rated:
dacoroman said:   Had this phone for a couple months now, really enjoying the phone. At this price I'd say it's a sweet deal esp if you are like me grandfathered into unlimited data @ VZW and want to hold on to that.
  I'm in this exact boat - have to buy all my phones outright to keep my unlimited data plan. However, you can also buy the $99 Moto G that is for Verizon Pre-Paid service and activate it on Verizon contract plans. I just did this a few days ago and all is working just fine. Can't find a better deal for $99!

At $299, the Moto X is a much better phone than the $99 Moto G. I'm seriously considering a switch, but not sure it's worth it for an extra $200.

rated:
Please stop comparing subsidized phone prices to un-subsidized phone prices.  Yes I know you can get my T-Mobile unlocked phone for $100 on Verizon while I pay $350.  But you pay an extra $20 a month for eternity for that phone while I'm done paying at the start.

rated:
cyfan said:   Please stop comparing subsidized phone prices to un-subsidized phone prices.  Yes I know you can get my T-Mobile unlocked phone for $100 on Verizon while I pay $350.  But you pay an extra $20 a month for eternity for that phone while I'm done paying at the start.
  If you're referring to my post, you mis-read it. You can buy a Verizon Moto G for $100 from Best Buy like I did and activate it on a contract plan. That is the unsubsidized price. It's also available on Amazon for about the same price.

The Moto G is obviously a different phone than the Moto X. Notice the letter difference? Now, my point was you can spend an extra $200 to get the Moto X over the Moto G. I'm considering a switch, but not sure it's worth an extra $200 (to me).

rated:
bb6619 said:   The moto x has been 299 at republicwireless. + a $100 jellybean trade in.

You're 100% right.  With the JellyBean trade in, my Republc Wireless Moto X phone cost me $199.   Great phone and service, use it every day and love it.

rated:
cyfan makes a great point, but I don't *think* he was referring to your post raiderj.

rated:
Missed out last time and working again tomorrow, so probably will not have a chance. Ive been scouting out Swappa, and while I prefer new, there are some very good deals on there right now. http://swappa.com/buy/moto-x-unlocked Hopefully this helps someone else out who like me, won't have the opportunity to buy tomorrow.

rated:
If you screw with it, it can be modified to use on page plus details at howard forums.

rated:
Does anyone know if the verizon verson have a sim card, and if so, is it unlocked for other gsm carriers?

rated:
aktran9 said:   Does anyone know if the verizon verson have a sim card, and if so, is it unlocked for other gsm carriers?
  Verizon is CDMA, so those versions won't have a SIM card. You should be able to pick up a GSM version of the Moto X.
EDIT: Corrected below.

rated:
raiderj said:   
aktran9 said:   Does anyone know if the verizon verson have a sim card, and if so, is it unlocked for other gsm carriers?
  Verizon is CDMA, so those versions won't have a SIM card. You should be able to pick up a GSM version of the Moto X.

Not accurate. It does have a SIM. A Nano SIM to be specific. If ordering from Motorola website it should come with the SIM. Probably already installed.

rated:
poorfatkid said:   
raiderj said:   

Not accurate. It does have a SIM. A Nano SIM to be specific. If ordering from Motorola website it should come with the SIM. Probably already installed.

Ah, that's true. Keep forgetting 4G phones do have SIM slots. Did some googling, and it looks like you can in fact use a Verizon Moto X on other networks, but due to the radios you'll only get HSPA+ speeds, not LTE. Still unless you need the Verizon version, seems like one would be better off getting the GSM variant of the Moto X in order to get full 4G speeds.

rated:
Any comments regarding battery life from actual users?

rated:
oldsouthbw said:   Any comments regarding battery life from actual users?
  My friend has a Moto X and has said good things about battery life. Goes all day for general use.

rated:
BamBam0099 said:   
bb6619 said:   The moto x has been 299 at republicwireless. + a $100 jellybean trade in.

You're 100% right.  With the JellyBean trade in, my Republc Wireless Moto X phone cost me $199.   Great phone and service, use it every day and love it.

I have been considering upgrading from the defy  to the X   Hows the storage  ?  Are you 4G  or 3G ?

rated:
I have this phone from Republic wireless. I wish they would have had this deal when I bought mine. I would have went for the 32gb version. I also did the Jelly bean rebate.
1) The battery last all day for me with normal use.
2) Video streaming eats the battery faster. Stuff like Netflix.
3) You can use Voice commands when the phone is locked. I do this all of the time to get the weather when I get up in the morning.
4) Compatible with On the Go cables.
-4a) Usb Drives
-4b) Sd card readers
-4c) Software defined radio dongles
-4d) Video Game controllers
5) Android OS Kit Kat is available on this phone for most major carriers. Republic Wireless is rolling it out and the ROM is on the net for those that don't want to wait.
6) Yes it does have a SIM card. All 4g phones have them.
7) Active display is very nice.
8) Plenty or internal memory.  I have ran some memory intensive programs with no problem. 

The primary CONS of this phone.
1) Cases are hard to find in stores. No problem getting them online.
2) Battery is not removable.
3) No Micro SD slot.
4) No HDMI output.  Miracast is possible as an alternative with supported devices like a Miracast dongle.

rated:
Would be sweet if this could be used with the trade-up $100 rebate.
(There's also the education discount https://mdsupport.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/education but I doubt you can triple dip)

rated:
Could this 'sale' be due to the announcement of a new Moto on 5/13?

New Motorola 5/13

rated:
Clearing stock. New version soon. Great phone though.

rated:
BamBam0099 said:   

I have a moto x with republic wireless and i'd love to know what this jellybean trade in is.

I found the answer. BTW, I wish I had this offer last year when it came out for the RW.

rated:
Great deal on a really good phone!

p.s. doubt the Moto x+1 (or whatever it will be called) will be seen to late summer or fall.  the phone that will be revealed in may is an entry level moto #

rated:
When I see a phone advertised as "unlocked," how can I tell if it's CDMA or GSM?

rated:
I wish this was available when I got my Moto G. Unlike a lot of people, I'm really not to happy with the G. The screen is too small, it lacks modern features and it doesn't have enough memory.

rated:
bhoup said:   When I see a phone advertised as "unlocked," how can I tell if it's CDMA or GSM?
  You have to read the specs.   

rated:
  i have this phone and it lasts full day with normal use. Its a really nice phone.

rated:
muskmelon said:   
  i have this phone and it lasts full day with normal use. Its a really nice phone.

Yes, I get over a day with moderate use.  Much better than the Samsung I had before this phone.   On a side note, my daughter dropped her iphone 5s and shattered the screen.  I botched a repair job that left the phone useless.   I bought her a Moto X as a replacement.  Last night she was telling me how much more she likes the Moto X than the iphone.  This surprised me.

rated:
I did the upgrade as soon as Moto X came out and couldn't have been happier. I am on wifi only plan for now but plan to change it to 3G in a couple of months. I have previously used it on 3G and was very satisfied.
But just on wifi itself, the Moto X has a ton of differences. Its so much more smoother and faster, no lag, no worries about RAM (or space for apps) & with the jelly bean rebate using Defy, its worth every penny @ $199
I haven't been able to use the voice activated features much, but its neat. Like its supposed to read out text messages when you are driving, and all you need to say is something like ("OK Google Now, what was that" or something)..
the motorola assistant tracks when you are sleeping or driving etc and you can assign different tasks during such activities.
Lastly, eagerly waiting for kit kat update that should start to roll out for RW in a few days.

It lasts me 1 full day with moderate to heavy use. I play games, read news, articles, check emails etc almost the entire day.

Edited to add the fact that only when you part with the Defy & get Moto X do you realize how crappy Defy actually was for Republic Wireless (RW) ..

rated:
I was contemplating getting the moto G, is there any reason I should choose this X instead?

Skipping 9 Messages...
rated:
lemonhead said:   I was contemplating getting the moto G, is there any reason I should choose this X instead?
  I have the G and don't like it.  The screen is too small, the processor is too slow and it doesn't have many advanced features built into it.  I will sell you my unlocked on for $100 and go buy the X.  I've got the 16GB version and it doesn't have near enough memory.  I really wish that I had gotten the 32 GB X

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014