• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Nokia Lumia 925 review - Engadget
Disclaimer
shopcelldeals (via eBay) has the Nokia Lumia 925 Windows 8 Smartphone†(T-Mobile) for $199.99 with free shipping. This has been the price point for these for about a month now, but the deals I have seen sold out pretty quickly.

• 16GB Storage
  • 1GB RAM
  • Windows 8 OS
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Dual-Core Processor
  • 4.5" Display (1280 x 768)
  • 8.7MP Camera
  • 1 Year Limited Warranty

Received a 9.1/10 here†from Engadget.

Member Summary

Nokia Lumia 925 Windows 8 Smartphone
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer

Taken w/ Nolia 925 in low-light condition w/ flash
Thanks giselmey
Disclaimer
Pardon the typo in the caption of the bug-pic. BTW, the picture is not edited in any way and the bug was about 1.5" long.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Cheapguy31 said:   Windows Phone are junk.
† Really? Is that all your brain can think about WP? Sigh!!!
††

Love this phone! It's fast. Got it about a month ago through a similar deal...works great with T-Mobile/wallieworld's $30 plan. Did I mention it's fast?

Oh yeah, the camera is great, too!

I agree about the phones being fast and disagree about them being junk. They are great for the average person who doesn't want to deal bloated OS (funny Windows Phone being lightweight OS and responsive, which it is). Plus their apps are growing everyday and some decent video games.
Got some gripes though with some apps not working in the background correctly, but this from a $80 phone which has problems with Skype running in the background and viber not working properly (more of developer issue)...

Used to be that all phones, you simply flip open, start dialing.
Nowadays? Are there any 'smart phones' out there that doesn't require more than 2 keypresses simply to bring up the dialpad?!? It's almost like they're trying to make humans think they're stupid idiots because it takes at least three presses or more (WP8 - home, phone, dialpad icons). sigh....

adorable said:   Used to be that all phones, you simply flip open, start dialing.
Nowadays? Are there any 'smart phones' out there that doesn't require more than 2 keypresses simply to bring up the dialpad?!? It's almost like they're trying to make humans think they're stupid idiots because it takes at least three presses or more (WP8 - home, phone, dialpad icons). sigh....

††
On my Galaxy S4, if I don't have the screen password-protected, it's a swipe and one keypress to get to the dialpad. You can also create a shortcut on a homepage to automatically dial a number of your choosing. I think it depends on the phone.

I†agree that sometimes the "smart" devices aren't as smart as they are perceived to be. Once a device makes a simple task complicated, it becomes more of a hassle than anything else. No matter how neat it may look.

adorable said:   Used to be that all phones, you simply flip open, start dialing.

†With basic phone, yeah, agreed that you just press a number and it dials (or additional step of flipping if you have a flip phone). That's surely convenience but again, that's about it.
Moving to smartphone, you can't get away with just one or two steps to get it dial, the best (quickest) I can think of is 3 (get the screen on -> tap on the Phone icon -> then dial, that with no screen-lock whatsoever) but anyway, we just have to get used to it. On the upside, you can use bluetooth headset, press just ONE, say it (like CALL MUM) and it will dial for you. Ta...daaa.

I love my Lumia. Love the photos it takes. Love watching youtubes with it, specially when power goes out - due to storms - love the way I can manage it with one hand...I have a tablet as well but sometimes I end up using my lumia more than the tablet. My son who owns an iphone was impressed with it.

I like my Lumia, but most of the apps in the windows store are junk. The quality of the apps is appalling.
If you are ok with very few apps and switching from a non-ios / non-android you may be fine with it.
Or if you are overwhelmed with too many apps and want to go minimalist, windows phones are a good choice.

I've had the 920 and now I have the 1020. They are easily the best phones I have every had. Some of my androids can get pretty bloated with all the updates and add-ons. The lumias are fast as people have said and don't get bloated with updates. They are very well built phones also, hope the production value does not drop off now that Micrsoft owns Nokia.

I wonder how much is the unlock code for these.

Does anybody have any experience with one of these? I would especially appreciate any comparisons to the Lumia 521. I have had the 521 for a year now, and love it, it has a couple of shortcomings that I was well aware of going into it, I knew the camera wasn't great and didn't have a flash, I knew it didn't have a front camera. I knew the apps were limited with WP8 (although I was fairly well surprised to find just about everything I needed).

How is the camera? Is it finicky about SD cards? My 521 has always seemed fairly quick and responsive, is the 925 that much faster for routine tasks?

spdracer5g said:   Does anybody have any experience with one of these? I would especially appreciate any comparisons to the Lumia 521. I have had the 521 for a year now, and love it, it has a couple of shortcomings that I was well aware of going into it, I knew the camera wasn't great and didn't have a flash, I knew it didn't have a front camera. I knew the apps were limited with WP8 (although I was fairly well surprised to find just about everything I needed).

How is the camera? Is it finicky about SD cards? My 521 has always seemed fairly quick and responsive, is the 925 that much faster for routine tasks?

††
It does everything your Lumia 521, but faster and better, except it does not support external storage.

spdracer5g said:   Does anybody have any experience with one of these? I would especially appreciate any comparisons to the Lumia 521. I have had the 521 for a year now, and love it, it has a couple of shortcomings that I was well aware of going into it, I knew the camera wasn't great and didn't have a flash, I knew it didn't have a front camera. I knew the apps were limited with WP8 (although I was fairly well surprised to find just about everything I needed).

††
It does everything your Lumia 521, but faster and better, except it does not support external storage.

Supports WiFi calling as well. And is thin.

I have the Lumia 925 and my wife has the Lumia 520 (AT&T version of the 521).†

Lumia 925 is substantially better in almost every way:
PRO:†
Faster
Better screen
Better camera (much better. Also flash + front-facing camera, as you pointed out)
Much better build quality
NFC capable
Wifi-calling
Nokia Drive/Here Plus (GPS navigation anywhere in the world, without need of a data plan. Regular Nokia Drive/Here which is included in the 521 I believe is limited to US only - or maybe North America - for GPS navigation)

CON:
No microSD expansion slot

Other consideration:
bigger/heavier: my wife really likes the 521 because of the smaller form factor. This is noticable bigger and a tad heavier but that also means bigger screen... so it's a trade off. Whether this is a pro/con depends on your preference.†

I downloaded maps for countries all over the world (minus Japan) on my 521.† Doesn't GPS work on those maps?

GPS is GPS, it would work at anywhere in the world if there is a basemap.

Hi Buster said:   I downloaded maps for countries all over the world (minus Japan) on my 521.† Doesn't GPS work on those maps?
† 521 has GPS (not a-GPS only like most other cell phones) so yes, it will "work" in the sense that it will tell you where you are on the map as long as you've downloaded the map. However, it WILL NOT do GPS navigation ("turn here, go x miles than turn right", etc etc) outside of US since the 521 comes with Nokia Drive, not Nokia Drive +

http://mynokiablog.com/2013/03/11/here-drive-here-drive-differen...

You might be able to upgrade to Nokia Drive + but I don't know that for sure, or how much that costs. I've seen a few old article saying that the upgrade option is "coming" but I haven't seen any that says that the option is available. †

Man, built in GPS in the 520 and those cost a fraction of what an iPod 5th generation costs which doesn't come with a gps. tsk tsk @ apple. These devices are pretty damn good.

It's cool too that the gps works without any data plan or sim card and you can easily add Skype for free.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014