• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The 3M Automotive Fuel System Tune-Up Kit is on sale at Amazon for $36.98 - $10.00 "Clip the Coupon" - 5% Subscribe & Save - $10.00 mail-in rebate = $11.43 w/ free shipping.

Note: You must Subscribe & Save in order to get the free shipping and the discounted price. You can cancel any time after your order ships.

Linky

Received 4.1/5 stars based on 164 customer reviews.

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Be advised that most of automobile manufacturers against this type of intake and fuel system cleaner, check your owner's manual first

rated:
I did this with seafoam on my old volvo and noticed a big difference. Liquid in the oil filler and gas tank then used the aerosol seafoam in the vacuum tree. After a few days of normal driving I dropped the oil and changed the fuel filter. Hydrolocking can be an issue when sucking it into the engine but just go slow and youll be fine. The aerosol makes it nearly foolproof. Lots of people just suck up liquid seafoam//carbcleaener which is fine its just easier to hydrolock.

rated:
It's just much easier just to throw a bottle of Techron into the tank every month or two.

rated:
Good deal, but just FYI, the price is normally just under $37...

rated:
GreenTrash said:   It's just much easier just to throw a bottle of Techron into the tank every month or two.
It's even easier to not do anything.  The question is if it works as well.  I don't know, and I'm guessing you may not either.

rated:
I did the intake cleaner on my wife's 2007 jeep commander and it worked great.

rated:
Fuel addictive is a waste of money if you have a newer car and it has direct injection.

rated:
Rebate form on Amazon's website is old - Valid for purchases from 11/1/2013 to 12/31/2013 Please check if there's a new rebate form or if Amazon is still displaying an expired promotion

rated:
rpsolomon said:   Rebate form on Amazon's website is old - Valid for purchases from 11/1/2013 to 12/31/2013 Please check if there's a new rebate form or if Amazon is still displaying an expired promotion

The one in OP is the new one: April to July, 2014.

rated:
LongDongSilver said:   Fuel addictive is a waste of money if you have a newer car and it has direct injection.
 +1... but only if it has direct injection - not just for newer cars in general.  
FWIW, treatments like this are essentially meant to clean crud off valves.  Since direct injection puts fuel into the cylinders directly, instead of mixing it with inlet air that flows over the valves, you don't really get that crud and you wouldn't benefit from a fuel cleaner.

rated:
LongDongSilver said:   Fuel addictive is a waste of money if you have a newer car and it has direct injection.
  Consumer Reports said the same thing. But it feels good to drain a bottle of whatever into the tank and think you are doing something good to your car.

rated:
Read the terms and conditions: If you later modify or cancel the subscription or delivery date for the qualifying item, the discount will not apply AND Promotion may not be combinable with mail-in rebates.In other words, original post is rubbish.

rated:
GreenTrash said:   It's just much easier just to throw a bottle of Techron into the tank every month or two.
That's way, way too often, unless you drive 8,000 - 15,000 miles every month or two.  I believe Chevron recommended every 3,000 miles for Techron or a more dilute version, Pro-Guard Clean-Up.  STP had a cleaner that they said shouldn't be used more often than 7,000 - 8,000 miles.  That was in the 1980s or early 1990s, before the EPA and auto makers demanded gasoline that would pollute less and keep engines cleaner, longer.  Gasoline sold today is especially good because it's made for direct fuel injection systems, which are inherently more prone to clogging than other fuel types of fuel injection and carburetors.  So as others said, fuel clean-up s are useless.

This 3M kit and in-tank injector/engine cleaners like Techron are safer to use than fuel injector cleanings that flush solvent directly into the injectors because that solvent is so strong that it can eat insulation off the injector coil wires, which are cooled by gasoline flow.  

rated:
zafsf said:   Be advised that most of automobile manufacturers against this type of intake and fuel system cleaner, check your owner's manual first

And then... some manufacturers specifically sell their own branded version of this and recommend it be done on a regular basis.

rated:

That will help clean your injectors and combustion chambers but does nothing for the carbon buildup on the intake side.

These kits have value for just about all non DI engines.  You should familiarize yourself with proper usage.  I would also recommend doing it shortly before an oil change is due, as it may move a bunch of carbon into the oil.  You'll most likely experience moderate smoking from your tailpipe during the treatment and for the first couple minutes after driving off (the intake cleaning phase that gets sucked in).

This is something I'd probably do for the first time around 50,000 miles, and then every 30,000 or so miles thereafter.  That's my personal opinion, there's a lot of factors in deciding this (quality of fuel, avg length of trip, driving style - the more aggressive you drive the less you need this, etc).  I've always noticed a smoother idle after the service is performed.

And as someone pointed out earlier, certain manufacturers do coat their intake manifolds, throttle bodies, etc with coatings to prevent carbon buildup and these chemicals in theory could strip those coatings.  Check your owners manual or if you trust them, talk to your service garage first.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014