Apple iPad Mini $199 at Target starting 6/8

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Its on the front page of next weeks circular, starting Sunday 6/8.  1st Generation.

Target
See Target coupons that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

iPad Mini
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I like to think of the Apple vs. Android thing in the same way that I think of a car vs. a truck. Both will get you whe... (more)

QuadesFather (Jun. 09, 2014 @ 11:29a) |

This is NOT expired.  Still available at my local Target.

Treefarn (Jun. 09, 2014 @ 7:00p) |

I went with the ipad mini, pm to bestbuy and picked up $2.50 Targus rugged case from Staples.  it's a step up from my HP... (more)

skchin (Jun. 09, 2014 @ 11:26p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$189 with Target Red Card, and 1st gen will be upgradeable to iOS-8.  iPad mini 3rd gen coming in Sept.

6/8 = Sunday

gr8wrx said:   6/8 = Sunday

Oops, just updated it.  Thanks.

I will try to get one at local Target store, thanks

robby69 said:   $189 with Target Red Card, and 1st gen will be upgradeable to iOS-8.  iPad mini 3rd gen coming in Sept.
  That's a good deal on the iPad mini, but it's going against 7-8" generic android tablets a quarter the cost. Older Amazon tablets can be had for around $100. But if this is a new price point for the 8" iPad mini, then it's going to pressure the new tablets from the competition.

Where has it been announced that iOS 8 will be supported? I'm surprised that they've kept supporting A5 devices (iPad 2, iPhone 4s, iTouch 5) for so long, but they've painted themselves into a corner by making a point of how many iOS users are on the latest OS vs how fragmented android world is, so dropping support for older devices now will be shooting themselves in the foot. 

With iOS 7 running fine on older iPad mini and iOS 8 support continuing, and besides the retina display, few apps need the A7 processor in the current Mini, what could the 3rd gen bring that's really meaningful? Fingerprint scanner? Faster A8 processor? Thinner, smaller, lighter, longer battery life? That's all pretty much expected. So is a high price tag. 

iOS8 supported devices
Disclaimer
macosx said:   
Where has it been announced that iOS 8 will be supported?

Good to know. Thanks for the post!

macosx said:   
robby69 said:   $189 with Target Red Card, and 1st gen will be upgradeable to iOS-8.  iPad mini 3rd gen coming in Sept.
  That's a good deal on the iPad mini, but it's going against 7-8" generic android tablets a quarter the cost. Older Amazon tablets can be had for around $100. But if this is a new price point for the 8" iPad mini, then it's going to pressure the new tablets from the competition.

Where has it been announced that iOS 8 will be supported? I'm surprised that they've kept supporting A5 devices (iPad 2, iPhone 4s, iTouch 5) for so long, but they've painted themselves into a corner by making a point of how many iOS users are on the latest OS vs how fragmented android world is, so dropping support for older devices now will be shooting themselves in the foot. 

With iOS 7 running fine on older iPad mini and iOS 8 support continuing, and besides the retina display, few apps need the A7 processor in the current Mini, what could the 3rd gen bring that's really meaningful? Fingerprint scanner? Faster A8 processor? Thinner, smaller, lighter, longer battery life? That's all pretty much expected. So is a high price tag. 

I'd like you to point me to an 8" Android tablet for $50, assuming it isn't a total POS like the ones at Big Lots. Those garbage generic Chinese ones aren't comparable to any real Android or iOS tablets.

I don't think this is a new price point for the iPad mini, there will be very little net profit on the device at this price. Apple simply doesn't like selling loss leaders; more likely they are clearing some channel inventory ahead of fall refreshes.

You can safely assume the next iPad mini will have an A8 processor. While the architecture and performance are unlikely to be significantly improved (A7 is already clearly the best SoC today), many people believe Apple will finally roll out 2 GB RAM. If so, the A8 will be significantly more future proof than the A7 with its paltry 1 GB RAM. I don't think they need to do much with the form factor but since it's been 2 years, maybe they'll shave a couple millimeters here and there. An A8 SoC with just 1 GB RAM would be an absolute non-starter for me.

High price tag is all relative to what you're willing to pay for gadgets. Personally I think $399 is okay if you'll use the device a lot. If I were getting an Apple tablet, I'd rather pay that than $199 for the original iPad mini with its ancient A5 SoC and obsolete 1024x768 display. Personally, I bought a B&N NOOK HD+ last year for $165. Its OMAP SoC is roughly comparable to the A5, and it has a nice full 1080p display. Sure its not a gorgeous Apple device, and it has no camera, but I felt I saved a lot of money at the time and got a significantly better product than anything close to that price point ($200+ less than the original iPad mini at the time, and arguably a better product due to the display).

I'm not trying to knock this deal, but buyers should be fully aware they're essentially buying the iPad 2 (in a nicer chassis), which was released in spring 2011. For a mobile device, that is incredibly ancient and I personally don't believe it's a hot deal for $200.

Please scroll down to the bottom of the page: LINK  
macosx said:   

how much is ipad mini 3g? Thanks!

Sometimes looking at % or $ discounts, we tend to overlook the true value of savings. Or of "over-paying".
My thinking is somewhere along the lines of what manly's are, and which he so eloquently expressed. Presenting them slightly differently, using fuzzy math:
I can buy a $200 device today, which will last me, say a 400-day year, and will cost me ~50c/day. Each and every day of that year, I will be unhappy with it, and will not even give it full use.
Or I can buy a $400 device today, which will last me, say two 400-day years, and will also cost me ~50c/day. Now this device, I will happily use.
50c is less than the cost of a cup of coffee, which I won't need when the device functions beautifully.

To each her own.

Probably more RAM, iDevices always lagged in RAM size.

I don't have any hard stats, but anecdotally, I've noticed that iPhone users tend to upgrade to the latest or second-latest generation phone, but iPad users tend to keep their tab a lot longer. So, an older device like this at a reasonable cost is a good investment for developers in need of a testing device and looking to reach the largest market share. You're also getting iPad 2 internals in a smaller package, at the cost of a used iPad 2, but with the full warranty.

Available Online

OOS online, available for store pickup though.
In for 1 since disney decided their apps would no longer work on 1st gen iPad...

5% back through ShopDiscover if you have a Discover Card.  Order online, pickup in store.
(Or use a Target card if you have one).

does this have a data card option i could put so that i could use on travel abroad ?

i want something for my son when we are on the car, would this be ok for that?

No price match at BB since it doesn't have their "price match guarantee" logo above the online price.

serenity22 said:   Sometimes looking at % or $ discounts, we tend to overlook the true value of savings. Or of "over-paying".
My thinking is somewhere along the lines of what manly's are, and which he so eloquently expressed. Presenting them slightly differently, using fuzzy math:
I can buy a $200 device today, which will last me, say a 400-day year, and will cost me ~50c/day. Each and every day of that year, I will be unhappy with it, and will not even give it full use.
Or I can buy a $400 device today, which will last me, say two 400-day years, and will also cost me ~50c/day. Now this device, I will happily use.
50c is less than the cost of a cup of coffee, which I won't need when the device functions beautifully.

To each her own.

While I agree you shouldn't buy a tablet you are unhappy with at purchase, you can make the math say whatever you want.

If you buy the $200 device today, you can sell it (conservatively) for $100 in a year and now the cost per day for that first year is 25c/day.  You can then buy your $400 device (the ipad mini 3?) that will last you 2 years at 50c/day.

One word - ecosystem and simplicity of use hence you are paying a premium on the device... I have both Android Table and Ipad Mini with retina, Ipad Air and Ipod Touch 5th gen... Guess what my 6 year and 8 year old play with on the daily basis... My Android 8" Dell device serves as a nice paper weight and occasionally get used to watch Youtube videos by the kids.

Also, awesome new features are coming up this fall with IOS 8.0 for all Apple devices.

My 67 year old mother in law just got her first Ipad Mini (1st gen) to save some money, plus she doesn't need the best screen or fastest speed and already after 4 weeks she is loving it. Certinaley this 1st gen model is not for everyone but if you are getting but if you are not picky at this price it's very tempting.

ionized said:   does this have a data card option i could put so that i could use on travel abroad ?
  no, that is the cellualr version typically ~$130 more. 

lszyjka said:   One word - ecosystem and simplicity of use hence you are paying a premium on the device... I have both Android Table and Ipad Mini with retina, Ipad Air and Ipod Touch 5th gen... Guess what my 6 year and 8 year old play with on the daily basis... My Android 8" Dell device serves as a nice paper weight and occasionally get used to watch Youtube videos by the kids.

Also, awesome new features are coming up this fall with IOS 8.0 for all Apple devices.

My 67 year old mother in law just got her first Ipad Mini (1st gen) to save some money, plus she doesn't see the best screen or speed and after 4 weeks not she is loving it. Certinaley this 1st gen model is not for everyone but if you are getting but if you are not picky at this price it's very tempting.

This argument can be made for either direction.  You are correct, if you have an investment in the Apple Ecosystem then it does make sense at this price.  We have a 1st Gen iPad but made to the switch to Android. I like having the option of multiple app stores, being able to add external storage, and numerous other reasons,  A transition is starting to happen, some Android hardware manufacturers are bringing out premium tablets that are similar in price with the iPad. Tablets in the business world is big money.  I will be picking up a Samsung Tab Pro.  As far as kids go, the Kindle Fire 8.9 HD is a good tablet simplicity if you are in the Android ecosystem

I would rate this deal pretty high. It still has good specs and pretty much fully compatable with the ios world. The reasons to go android over this is the same though, external storage, several app stores as well as apps you can download from any source, cheaper accessories.

GWBush said:   Probably more RAM, iDevices always lagged in RAM size.

Yes, because there are so many apps that are unusable because they require lots and lots of RAM?

Maybe what you're trying to say is that 16GB isn't enough storage anymore, which is very true. Apps are getting bigger, and some games (like Infinity Blade/Asphalt/etc) are 1GB +. That said, you could probably sell this for $150 in a few months and get a bigger version if you find it's too small.

FrugalFreddy said:   Please scroll down to the bottom of the page: LINK  
macosx said:   

Thanks for the link reference.  I'm glad it's official now (since it's on Apple's web page). Appears to me that only the iPhone 4 (June 24, 2010) was dropped. I was surprised that the iPhone 4, iPhone 4s (October 14, 2011) and iPad 2 (March 11, 2011) got the iOS 7 update, and it still amazes me that they're supporting a 3 year old devices with iOS 8. 

FWIW, my uses, mainly web browsing, iOS 6 is still adequate, and have yet to update some of my devices (mainly for lack of need for mostly eye candy, but also lack of free memory; I'm in the bottom 10-20% -- but nice to know I can upgrade if needed or when I wipe it to sell the system.). I've tried Android/Chrome, and found Safari to be faster, more stable, and gets me to more of the pages I visit. YMMV. Also, I've tried iOS 7 on iPhone 4, and I didn't find it as bad as some critical reviews. Worked surprisingly well as phone and light use, and will make a great first phone for a child.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/14283/20140606/ios-7-market-sh... 
robby69 said:   
[image provided]

Thanks for the image.
manly said:   I'd like you to point me to an 8" Android tablet for $50, assuming it isn't a total POS like the ones at Big Lots. Those garbage generic Chinese ones aren't comparable to any real Android or iOS tablets.

I don't think this is a new price point for the iPad mini, there will be very little net profit on the device at this price. Apple simply doesn't like selling loss leaders; more likely they are clearing some channel inventory ahead of fall refreshes.

You can safely assume the next iPad mini will have an A8 processor. While the architecture and performance are unlikely to be significantly improved (A7 is already clearly the best SoC today), many people believe Apple will finally roll out 2 GB RAM. If so, the A8 will be significantly more future proof than the A7 with its paltry 1 GB RAM. I don't think they need to do much with the form factor but since it's been 2 years, maybe they'll shave a couple millimeters here and there. An A8 SoC with just 1 GB RAM would be an absolute non-starter for me.

High price tag is all relative to what you're willing to pay for gadgets. Personally I think $399 is okay if you'll use the device a lot. If I were getting an Apple tablet, I'd rather pay that than $199 for the original iPad mini with its ancient A5 SoC and obsolete 1024x768 display. Personally, I bought a B&N NOOK HD+ last year for $165. Its OMAP SoC is roughly comparable to the A5, and it has a nice full 1080p display. Sure its not a gorgeous Apple device, and it has no camera, but I felt I saved a lot of money at the time and got a significantly better product than anything close to that price point ($200+ less than the original iPad mini at the time, and arguably a better product due to the display).

I'm not trying to knock this deal, but buyers should be fully aware they're essentially buying the iPad 2 (in a nicer chassis), which was released in spring 2011. For a mobile device, that is incredibly ancient and I personally don't believe it's a hot deal for $200.

Android has a full spectrum staring from POS tablets starting at under $30 (and including the full range up to those more expensive and arguably better than the retina iPad mini):

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1369015/ 
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1367327/ 
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1369073/ 
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1366799/ 

The 8" tablets haven't been around, so finding any under $100 is going to be sparse, but the Acer Iconia was being clearanced out at Staples as little as $61.5 to 75.50:
http://slickdeals.net/f/6980310-acer-iconia-a1-810-l615-at-staples-b-m-61-5 (SD link may not be allowed)
An a more limited clearance of 10" tablet at $50 (http://slickdeals.net/f/6885744-acer-iconia-10-1-8gb-table-49-at-frys-ymmv). 

Most of these are clearance on old and/or discontinued models, but you don't see these price drops and levels with iPad clearance. Some think $199 is an Apple clearance. I'm hoping for them it's a new price point.

We'll see if Apple tries to hold the $300+ price on the iPad mini, or uses the older mini to attack the $200 price range. Apple faces a dilemma of allowing Android too much market share in the middle market vs self-cannibalizing higher end sales.

At $300, you're paying a premium for iPad mini, but at $200, while it's not a screaming deal for some, it's very competitive with many Android offerings. How well or poorly depends on individual budget and usage. 

Teasip said:   No price match at BB since it doesn't have their "price match guarantee" logo above the online price.

I just PM'd at BB this morning....see if you can talk to the supervisor/manager

Alternatively, you can place the order over the phone and PM there. I was at Staples this morning and they were ready to PM also

Goodluck

I price matched at Staples with their $20 off tablet coupon in their circular, it became $179.99

Upgradeable. But the issue is what features will actually be available. I had an iPad I until I upgraded to an Air. When iOS 6.0 came out about half or less of the features introduced in 6.0 were actually available on the iPad I. Same goes for older models of the iPod Touch. When 7.0 came out, almost none of the new features in 7.0 were available to the iPad I. At some point upgradeability ceases to be a reality. Devices still work with the older iOSs. However, many of the new features are nice to haves. OSX will have translucency and continuity between iOS devices and OSX for those whose MAC computers can be upgraded to Yosemite. How many will really use these features?

They had plenty of them in the glass case when I stopped by my local Granada Hills, CA Target an hour ago. I didn't have a need, so I didn't buy one.

mannyv said:   GWBush said:   Probably more RAM, iDevices always lagged in RAM size.

Yes, because there are so many apps that are unusable because they require lots and lots of RAM?

Maybe what you're trying to say is that 16GB isn't enough storage anymore, which is very true. Apps are getting bigger, and some games (like Infinity Blade/Asphalt/etc) are 1GB +. That said, you could probably sell this for $150 in a few months and get a bigger version if you find it's too small.

LOL, it could only be from a iFanBoi...

The next time you complain about your iDevice being unresponsive, the next time you complain about your app crashing, the next time you finally realize not all multitasking are created equal, come back and thank me for the enlightenment.

Just to be absolutely clear for those that live in Infinity Loop, RAM=Random Access Memory and your old iDevices become obsolete not because of its internal SOC (might be just a tad slower) or limited nonvolatile memory (delete those apps that hog the most of your SSD), but not having the RAM capacity to execute the newer funtionalities for which there are no mitigation methods except for it to be built in extra memory slots like PCs which they would not do. Why should they? FanBoiz would rather buy the shiny new iDevices because it just makes their lives that much more complete..

Awesome post for 1st Gen...they have plenty instore but you can buy them online to pick up.

I just called my local Target in Rockford, IL and they already sold out!

Got BestBuy matched it this morning and with my free BB $50 giftcard, total is $168 out of door, not bad.

macosx said:   
  Android has a full spectrum staring from POS tablets starting at under $30 (and including the full range up to those more expensive and arguably better than the retina iPad mini):

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1369015/ 
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1367327/ 
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1369073/ 
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1366799/ 

The 8" tablets haven't been around, so finding any under $100 is going to be sparse, but the Acer Iconia was being clearanced out at Staples as little as $61.5 to 75.50:
http://slickdeals.net/f/6980310-acer-iconia-a1-810-l615-at-staples-b-m-61-5 (SD link may not be allowed)
An a more limited clearance of 10" tablet at $50 (http://slickdeals.net/f/6885744-acer-iconia-10-1-8gb-table-49-at-frys-ymmv). 

Most of these are clearance on old and/or discontinued models, but you don't see these price drops and levels with iPad clearance. Some think $199 is an Apple clearance. I'm hoping for them it's a new price point.

We'll see if Apple tries to hold the $300+ price on the iPad mini, or uses the older mini to attack the $200 price range. Apple faces a dilemma of allowing Android too much market share in the middle market vs self-cannibalizing higher end sales.

At $300, you're paying a premium for iPad mini, but at $200, while it's not a screaming deal for some, it's very competitive with many Android offerings. How well or poorly depends on individual budget and usage. 

While I don't think the iPad mini is a great deal at $200, those POS Android tablets have no business being compared to the mini, the old Nexus 7, or any other decent sub $200 tablet. I guess if cost is the ONLY concern, then you can justify $50 for garbage. I have a tough time doing so, since I tend to keep devices for 3 years if not longer. Or if you're giving it to a young kid who's not likely to take good care of it, and doesn't need much in the way of specs.

Somebody posted a CowBoom deal for the 32 GB NOOK HD+ for $100, which depending on condition, trumps this deal and anything else you can find for that price point (unless you need a front-facing camera).

I won't check the SD links because if 25 people in the entire country got a crazy hot deal, that's really not comparable to deals that the rest of us can actually get our hands on. I will agree with your point that if you want something for under $180, you can't get any iPad.

burgerwars said:   They had plenty of them in the glass case when I stopped by my local Granada Hills, CA Target an hour ago. I didn't have a need, so I didn't buy one.

Same here in Orlando.  The wife and I were considering a purchase when a guy came to the counter and bought two.  The store had plenty left but just a few takers.  I've wanted to jump into the iOS world for a while but even at $200 I didn't bite.  I am happy with my Android tablet ...

Just got home, new mini in hand (posting from it now).
I've got a Nexus 7 that I like quite a bit, but Sid Meier's Pirates and Civilization Revolutions don't play on it, now Ascendancy.
So now I've got both

Thanks OP

Seems like a great deal, thanks OP.

Skipping 16 Messages...
I went with the ipad mini, pm to bestbuy and picked up $2.50 Targus rugged case from Staples.  it's a step up from my HP touchpad 3 years ago, which is still running fine.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014