• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Faster and more powerful. With up to 1080p HD video* and extended-range, dual-band wireless performance for increased speed
Amazing remote with headphone jack. Use the included in-ear headphones to crank up that late-night flick while the kids (or parents) sleep
One-stop search. Find your favorite movies and TV shows all from one place from top TV and Movie services like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video or Hulu Plus.1000+ channels and growing. The best selection of streaming out there.
Free iOS and Android device app. Use it like a remote. Browse and add new channels. Even stream your music and photos from your phone or tablet to your HDTV
A Roku account is free. However, payment information is required during setup to provide the convenience of making purchases from the Roku Channel Store on your TV. You will only be charged if you choose to make a purchase.

www.amazon.com/Roku-3-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00BGGDVOO/ref=s... 

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Roku (2.37kB)
Thanks bhansonbot
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Lots of positive ones, so which device is better than the Roku 3

pdelgardo (Jun. 14, 2014 @ 9:45a) |

Read harder. Comparing new to refurb with sane as new warranty and cable and without tax collected.  These refurbs are e... (more)

fatgempler (Jun. 15, 2014 @ 2:42a) |

already answered above.

fatgempler (Jun. 15, 2014 @ 2:44a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I don't like this model because of the wifi direct tech, but the others are getting long in the tooth -- especially if you want to run the YT and Netflix apps. This price is not great. If you can find one at Staples, use a coupon ($ off or 25% back in rewards) to get a better price. If you take your Discover card rewards in Staples gift cards, you can pay with them for an instant 20% off.

Seems like the interest in streamers in general and Rokus in particular is on the wane. My kids have switched to the Amazon Fire TV. They like the games (and the controller) and the YT app. I'm waiting for some news app and a simple DVR app.

rated:
are there any similar models?

rated:
  Red for the OP on this one...

It is $5 cheaper at Newegg, and comes with a HDMI cable that is worth another $5.  Plus buying from Newegg instead of Amazon avoids tax collection to most locations...
Just $79.95 (so $5.04 less) plus free HDMI cable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815328010 

I am no great fan of the Roku 3 but people seem to like the headphone jack in the remote.  The headphone jack in the remote is probably the best feature of this model but be aware that using it means frequent battery changes.
I prefer the previous generation top of the line model, the Roxu 2XS because it is cheaper and has a Bluetooth remote that does not require line of sight with the device to work.  That means the Roku 2XS can be in a cabinet hidden from view but you can still operate it remotely.

rated:
wizwor said:   I don't like this model because... especially if you want to run the YT and Netflix apps....

The YouTube 'channel' is now available for all Roku models released after 2011.  Netflix is available for all models but starting with the prior generation Netflix supports subtitles.  Nothing new about Netflix on the Roku 3 afaik.

rated:
We recently upgraded from a Roku LT to a Roku 3, the Netflix app in particular is much faster and more responsive on the Roku 3. We don't care about the remote headphone feature so we continued to use the old Roku LT remote with the Roku 3.

rated:
We have a Roku2 XD. HBO go has been broken on ours for the last few months. Anyone watches HBO go on this Roku 3? Is it working well?

rated:
much2buy said:   We have a Roku2 XD. HBO go has been broken on ours for the last few months. Anyone watches HBO go on this Roku 3? Is it working well?
  Have you tried deleting the HBO To Go channel from your Roku XD and then adding it back?
  Have you tried using a PC or Mac on the same network to see if it can connect to HBO To Go?
  Complaints appear in the Roku forums about it not working with certain internet providers but changing your DNS is a work around, also if you are double NAT'd it can be a problem (wifi router repeated with a range extender depending on the configuration).  These problems span all models, including the 3.

rated:
fatgempler said:   It is $5 cheaper at Newegg, and comes with a HDMI cable that is worth another $5.  Plus buying from Newegg instead of Amazon avoids tax collection to most locations... 
Just $79.95 (so $5.04 less) plus free HDMI cable: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815328010

REFURBISHED 

rated:
much2buy said:   We have a Roku2 XD. HBO go has been broken on ours for the last few months. Anyone watches HBO go on this Roku 3? Is it working well?
We use HBO Go on our Roku 3 refurb and it works very well.

rated:
Same price at Best Buy. Price match at WalMart and save an additional $25 by applying in-store for a WalMart Credit Card ($25 store credit when you spend $75).

Walmart Credit Card Offer (also available in-store) 

Best Buy Link 

You can also save $5 off the Amazon deal by using the Amazon ap.

Amazon 1Button App 

rated:
The $79.95 price at BestBuy is a TODAY ONLY special...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-3-streaming-player/8364078.p?id...

rated:
goldsheet said:   
fatgempler said:   It is $5 cheaper at Newegg, and comes with a HDMI cable that is worth another $5.  Plus buying from Newegg instead of Amazon avoids tax collection to most locations... 
Just $79.95 (so $5.04 less) plus free HDMI cable: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815328010

REFURBISHED 

looks like new, wrapped in plastic like new, and had the same as new warranty. 
  $80 plus tax for me is $87 plus an HDMI cable is $92.  Happy to save $12 if I were to buy this model, but I suggest the 2 XS for less money and get the Bluetooth remote.  The only attraction to the 3 is the headphone remote and a usb port if your TV does not already have one.

rated:
Recently replaced a 2XS with a Roku 3. Both work great but I get better wireless streaming with the 3 on 5GHz band. The 2XS only uses 2.4 GHz, Roku 3 uses either 2.4 or 5 GHZ. Roku 3 also has much faster processor so screens and things come up quicker. Love the Bluetooth remotes on both. Got the Roku 3 from Amazon for this price and it is new.

rated:
Heard bad reviews for the Roku 3 though.

rated:
IrisHodge said:   Heard bad reviews for the Roku 3 though.
  Not according to this....
Lifehacker.com

rated:
Roku customer service has gone down the sh*tters. That alone is the reason I would not be buying another Roku device.

rated:
fatgempler said:   The $79.95 price at BestBuy is a TODAY ONLY special...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-3-streaming-player/8364078.p?id...

Best(?)Buy matches Newegg, so you can get the lower price as long as Newegg has it.
But with BestBuy you still get taxed and here it's around $1.30 to get to BestBuy and home.

rated:
fatgempler said:     Red for the OP on this one...

It is $5 cheaper at Newegg, and comes with a HDMI cable that is worth another $5.  Plus buying from Newegg instead of Amazon avoids tax collection to most locations...

I am no great fan of the Roku 3 but people seem to like the headphone jack in the remote.  The headphone jack in the remote is probably the best feature of this model but be aware that using it means frequent battery changes.
I prefer the previous generation top of the line model, the Roxu 2XS because it is cheaper and has a Bluetooth remote that does not require line of sight with the device to work.  That means the Roku 2XS can be in a cabinet hidden from view but you can still operate it remotely.

Comparing new with refurb??? Might as well give yourself a red.

rated:
GWBush said:   Roku customer service has gone down the sh*tters. That alone is the reason I would not be buying another Roku device.
  Roku customer service has ALWAYS been terrible.  There's a reason the warranty is 90 days (Fire TV is one year).  These are disposable.  Get one (I prefer the Roku 2 XS to this) just do not pay for channels.  There is plenty of free stuff to enjoy...

ADC: Free movie channel 
Amazon Cloud Player: Play all the free music Amazon sends my way 
CNN: Includes CNN International Live for background news and information 
Crackle: Sony’s FREE version of Netflix 
CS50: Harvard Intro to Computer Science course 
Comedy Time: ‘Play All’ makes for good background noise 
CBSSports.com: ‘Play All’ feature makes for a nice sports news channel 
CNBC: Streaming business news for news and information 
FoxNews: Stream from web site plus clips of popular shows with ‘Play All’ 
Kaplan College Prep: Help your kid with his SATs 
Lecture Kings: Librivox audio box is hidden in a channel of university lectures 
Nowhere TV 
OVGuide: Free movie channel 
PBS 
Popcornflix 
Popflix Classic TV: 26 Men, Adventures of Robin Hood, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Burns and Allen, Date with the Angels, Dragnet, Life with Elizabeth, The Lone Ranger, The Lucy Show, Man with a Camera, Petticoat Junction, Sherlock Holmes, Westerns, You Bet Your Life 
PubDHub: The stuff your dad used to reminisce about — ancient cartoons, PSAs, commercials, and movies 
Smithsonian: Better than the Discovery Channel 
TWiT: Steve Gibson, Leo Laporte, and others talk tech 
WSJ Live: WSJ had good election coverage 
YouTube 

rated:

rated:
TeeSemmel said:   
fatgempler said:     Red for the OP on this one...

Comparing new with refurb??? Might as well give yourself a red.

Read harder. Comparing new to refurb with sane as new warranty and cable and without tax collected.  These refurbs are every bit as good as new.  But go ahead and spend more for no reason if you prefer.  

rated:
pdelgardo said:   

already answered above.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014