• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Bestbuy is offering $100 on Macbook Air. You can add $150 student discount by using .edu address. This is similar to the deal that came around Memorial day.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/macbook-air-123432?ref=195&loc=2e87209112954b6d9c4b821d37f8a5f5

Member Summary

Macbook Air (29.65kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
And also, Where do you get the "movers" coupon.

belovedaimc (Jul. 15, 2014 @ 1:15p) |

so im going to have an extra one available if anyone still needs it my little sister is in school as well going to see h... (more)

junelle (Aug. 12, 2014 @ 3:41p) |

I have a .com account for school but I really need a new one! I've had mine since 2007... And I'm a working student, so ... (more)

lbsteed (Aug. 22, 2014 @ 4:48p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I see the $100 off, but not the additional $150. Should I expect a coupon to the .edu email address?

rated:
Your reply is going to get lots of poor votes for posting without doing a little bit of leg work.  Go here or search for "student discount" at bestbuy.com and sign up with your edu account

rated:
Link didn't work for me. But this did.

rated:
Few weeks ago, they offered the same model for $949, which is $899 now. Combined with the student discount, it's a good deal. Don't think it will get better than this. Thanks OP.

rated:
Got one. Thanks OP!

rated:
Ugh. If only they offered an 8gig memory version at best buy. I've passed on this so many times because of that.

rated:
edick said:   Ugh. If only they offered an 8gig memory version at best buy. I've passed on this so many times because of that.
  Seriously though... Is there a reason that none of the 3rd party retailers carry a higher ram version? I'm about to get in to ios programming and need to buy a mac for that and everybody highly suggest going for 8gig for that vs 4 and there's not a single place I could see that offers 8gigs of ram on these laptops (That also have these occasional discounts).

rated:
Tosunum said:   
edick said:   Ugh. If only they offered an 8gig memory version at best buy. I've passed on this so many times because of that.
  Seriously though... Is there a reason that none of the 3rd party retailers carry a higher ram version? I'm about to get in to ios programming and need to buy a mac for that and everybody highly suggest going for 8gig for that vs 4 and there's not a single place I could see that offers 8gigs of ram on these laptops (That also have these occasional discounts).

Those are all custom build SKUs.  I'm assuming that BB makes very little profit selling Apple products and that their bread-and-butter is the uninformed or at least everyday consumer.  Those with serious need are probably going to get theirs straight from Apple.

rated:
Plus fat cash of 1.5% and using a best buy card for 6% in rewards makes this a beast of a good deal. I've heard rumors of a new model but this was just refreshed in June!

rated:
So tempting. Buy or no buy?

rated:
Tosunum said:   

Like silentbob007 said, upgraded models are considered BTO/CTO. While Apple resellers can order such configs, they don't get any volume discounts they would otherwise get for pushing high volume on stock models.

I personally wouldn't even consider buying a new Mac with just 4 GB RAM, non-upgradeable.

rated:
I use one of these. Granted I don't tax the CPU developing apps or writing music or doing graphic design, but it's surprisingly capable. I've found the 128 GB storage to be a bigger limitation than the 4 GB RAM.

I could be crazy, but I think 4 GB will be acceptable for quite a bit longer on a Mac. The more MacOS becomes iOS like, and the more processing and workload gets pushed to cloud services, the less the RAM will make a difference (until web pages become too large and complex to render effectively with 4 GB of RAM).

At $749, I can't think of a Windows PC or Chromebook with an overall experience on par with a 13.3"/4GB RAM/128 SSD.

If you need the processing power, you probably have to BTO from Apple anyway.

rated:
amazing..really great offer. . .

rated:
Awesome and timely deal for me OP, thanks for sharing this. I was able to use Wife's EDU discount, with 6% tax, it came to $689 and I may get another 5% off for using Discover link, compare that to Amazon's $860 price tag!

rated:
Thank you for posting this deal. Was able to combine .edu with movers discount - $ 730 out the door for 13 inch -

rated:
outtawhack said:   I use one of these. Granted I don't tax the CPU developing apps or writing music or doing graphic design, but it's surprisingly capable. I've found the 128 GB storage to be a bigger limitation than the 4 GB RAM.

I could be crazy, but I think 4 GB will be acceptable for quite a bit longer on a Mac. The more MacOS becomes iOS like, and the more processing and workload gets pushed to cloud services, the less the RAM will make a difference (until web pages become too large and complex to render effectively with 4 GB of RAM).

At $749, I can't think of a Windows PC or Chromebook with an overall experience on par with a 13.3"/4GB RAM/128 SSD.

If you need the processing power, you probably have to BTO from Apple anyway.

You're conflating CPU and RAM. Haswell CPUs are great and I also agree that 4 GB RAM is currently fine for most people.

But unlike iOS, OS X supports true multitasking. So you don't have to be doing anything fancy beyond browsing modern AJAX-based Web sites in numerous tabs while using multiple other apps to creep up to full RAM utilization. iOS only has one foreground app, and forcibly evicts other apps from RAM at any time. So while superficially OS X may 'converge' with iOS's style, desktop and mobile operating systems are fundamentally different in resource management.

The fact that the RAM on most MacBooks is now soldered and non-upgradeable is why I encourage people to think about how long they intend to own their new Macs. 8 GB may be overkill now but it may mean you don't have to replace your Mac for an extra year, 2 or even 3.

rated:
Oh, I love this one. Will this still be available in August?

rated:
it says on the coupon, "Coupon cannot be combined with other coupons or offers" anyone got denied using this coupon with the 10% movers coupon?

rated:
Thanks. Got one.

rated:
dsl7 said:   So tempting. Buy or no buy?
  Buy TWO!

rated:
well...Macbook air is always so tempting to me too, but still kinda expensive even with the discount most of the time.
Thank you for this posting, I guess $150 student discount is actually a pretty good deal already.

rated:
RiceBOX said:   it says on the coupon, "Coupon cannot be combined with other coupons or offers" anyone got denied using this coupon with the 10% movers coupon?
  "Movers discount", what's that and where can that be found?  

Just bought the 15" MBP at the Apple Store today.  Applied the student discount, didn't know about movers....
Please advise.

rated:
ercme said:   
RiceBOX said:   it says on the coupon, "Coupon cannot be combined with other coupons or offers" anyone got denied using this coupon with the 10% movers coupon?
  "Movers discount", what's that and where can that be found?  

Just bought the 15" MBP at the Apple Store today.  Applied the student discount, didn't know about movers....
Please advise.

The movers coupon is found in the Change of address "movers kit" at your local Post Office….. Look in the lobby, or ask  a window clerk for one….

rated:
Can we use any post office coupon?

rated:
Thanks for posting this!

rated:
If you have a Discover card, you may use Shopdiscover site for 5% cash-back to sweeten the deal.

rated:
voonli said:   Can we use any post office coupon?
  It's a best buy coupon in the coa kit

rated:
vearpinar said:   If you have a Discover card, you may use Shopdiscover site for 5% cash-back to sweeten the deal.
  Has anyone tried this? Shopdiscover terms says excludes laptops

rated:
jesrf said:   
  It's a best buy coupon in the coa kit

"coa kit", what's that?   Seriously

rated:
CoA = change of address

rated:
My MacBook Air with 8gb, sitting at idle with just safari and Mail open will surpass 4GB or ram with ease! The reason a lot of people don't realize it is the SSD is fast enough to take up the slack.

rated:
Does anyone have a code that they are not going to use? I would greatly appreciate it! Inbox me and thanks in advance!

rated:
I'm passing on this one. Waiting on the new fanless, 12", retina Mac Air coming out later this year. This chassis has been on the market 4 years now, getting long in the tooth, especially with the wide bezels and TN panel-- so 2010'ish.

rated:

Just the one for Best Buy.

rated:
calvol said:   I'm passing on this one. Waiting on the new fanless, 12", retina Mac Air coming out later this year. This chassis has been on the market 4 years now, getting long in the tooth, especially with the wide bezels and TN panel-- so 2010'ish.

Do you really need that fancy machine to post in Fat Wallet Deals?

rated:
After years of trashing Mac's due to prices and goofy file system, I am taking the plunge on a 13". Can't get any comparable (performance, weight, run time) ultrabook at this price, and can always sell this used later (and get good money) if new retina displays are that much better. Would have gotten the 11.6" but no SD slot (cheap and mobile storage) kind of soured the deal.

I have been using a 14" Chromebook ($84 at Staples using $100 off coupon plus open box discounts), and just couldn't stand not been able to run any decent software on it. Even Android phones got far more and better apps than Chrome OS. Great idea, but lousy ecosystem. But will continue to use it as a HTPC and use the Macbook Air as my traveling rig.

rated:
Anyone have a code they can inbox to me? All my nieces and nephews are way past their college days and hubby is still using an ibook from 2004  Id really like to get him this. Thanks !

Sorry someone had to red my post. Husbands been having very serious health problems for 2 years, lost his position when he went back to work because of an ass of a boss, and now had surgery to fix an injury hes had to work with for over a year because he used up his disability $$ when he was in and out of work having treatments. Thought I could swing this for him to cheer him up but I dont know any students. Not anyones problem but ours but if someone has a code Id appreciate the help.

rated:
can anyone answer the previous posters question? does the movers coupon actually work? because it says cannot be combined with coupons.....

Skipping 26 Messages...
rated:
I have a .com account for school but I really need a new one! I've had mine since 2007... And I'm a working student, so I'd really appreciate the code from anyone! Thanks! My email is: lbsteed@live.com

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014