• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
TOTO Drake Elongated Bowl and Tank, Cotton White (CST744S#01) $181 Amazon - FREE SHIPPING

www.amazon.com/TOTO-Drake-Elongated-Cotton-White/dp/B0012HINC2

Great toilet. Top rated in a leading consumer magazine. Well loved by the plumbers on Terry Love's plumbing blog. Just $2 more than the lowest price ever, according to 3 dromedaries. Typical price is about $230, so this is a $50 savings.

I bought one of these last year after researching it a lot and have been happy with it so far.

This was my thinking at the time. It was # 3 in a leading consumer magazine. But #1 (American Standard Champion 4 2002.014) is not as well liked by actual users on various sites. For example, on Amazon, 92 users gave it an average score of 3.9, while 123 users gave the Toto an average of 4.6. For the curious, the consumer magazine’s #2 (Gerber Avalanche 21-818) actually has a tie score with this one in the mag's ratings. I think it is #2 not #3 because they list tie scores alphabetically. The Gerber is excellent on noise, and very good on bowl cleaning; this one is excellent on bowl cleaning and very good on noise. Bowl cleaning is more important to me than noise, and very good noise is still very good. Having installed it, I have not found it noisy at all. I was also hesitant about the Gerber because they are less common than the Toto and I thought parts might be harder to get than for this one.

The final thing was that plumbers (I looked at the toilet forum on Terrylove) seem to love this toilet for no leaks and no problems. They all said it was a very easy to install. I did it myself, and had no problems.

I did not get the Sanagloss (which is an option). Toto appears to be marketing Sanagloss now as an anti-disease thing rather than as easier to keep clean. To my eyes, that seemed like they were backing off claiming easy-cleaning and it seemed a little gimmicky. I also saw a posting by a guy who had installed both and had not seen a difference. Probably no harm if you get sanagloss. It was coin toss for me, really. So far, no regrets, but only years will tell if I should have gone for sanagloss.

I hope you all benefit from my time looking into this.  

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Toilet (4.23kB)
Thanks bhansonbot
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
in for the obligatory crappy deal

rated:
Excellent, gift-wrap is available.

rated:
99% sure this "deal" is for the $99 toilet at Lowes. With the 10%-off and CB, can be had for ~$95 back out-the-door, nearly $100 cheaper than this.

rated:
q2nn said:   99% sure this "deal" is for the $99 toilet at Lowes. With the 10%-off and CB, can be had for ~$95 back out-the-door, nearly $100 cheaper than this.

The Toto is 1.6 gal/flush and the Lowes is 1.28/gal flush.  They look similar but I don't think they are the same.

rated:
Fabulous toilet... in the last 3 houses we've purchased, one of the first things we did was swap out all toilets for Totos.  However, understand that the OP is the "Drake," not the "Drake II."  The original Drake is 1.6gpf, while the Drake II is 1.28gpf.  That may not matter to you but MOST municipalities have tightened restrictions on water use and may have regulated out the 1.6's altogether.  You don't want to own a toilet that doesn't comply with code (doesn't really hurt you while you own the house because the toilet police aren't going to kick in your door and arrest you), but if you ever go to sell and the inspector notes it on the inspection report, it may have implications on your sale.

/2 cents

rated:
lonestarguy said:   
q2nn said:   99% sure this "deal" is for the $99 toilet at Lowes. With the 10%-off and CB, can be had for ~$95 back out-the-door, nearly $100 cheaper than this.

The Toto is 1.6 gal/flush and the Lowes is 1.28/gal flush.  They look similar but I don't think they are the same.

Toto also has a 1.2 gallon/flush toilet which is now required in many states, including California.  It is excellent.
However, I must admit I'm very impressed by the reviews of the Lowe's AquaSource $99 toilet.  It has the similar 3 inch trap which allows the
powerful water flush just like the Toto.  I have all Toto toilets in my primary residence, but will likely use the AquaSource model for future needs.
Very impressive deal.

rated:
Pricematch the Amazon price on Build.com to save on tax!

rated:
mAdMaLuDaWg said:   Pricematch the Amazon price on Build.com to save on tax!
  Good idea!

rated:
Well... crap. I need 2 new toilets but they have to be round, due to space limitations (love how condos are designed).

rated:
Green for 3 dromedaries if nothing else. Good one. But, as an engineer, yes, good design. Glazed trapway....

rated:
I have 3 toto's and no problems with any of them.  I have found for #1 you can quick push on the handle and get enough flow to clean the bowl, saves a little water.  

rated:
For those who still need to go Toto, it's still available for $201.83 less Promo20.18 = $181.65
Delivery : Free
May be even better than Amazon with no Sales Tax for some.

Link

rated:
NorCalSci said:   For those who still need to go Toto, it's still available for $201.83 less Promo20.18 = $181.65
Delivery : Free
May be even better than Amazon with no Sales Tax for some.

Link

Thank you VERY much! 

rated:
  I installed the Lowe's toilet in the home I sold 3 months ago.  Its a great value for the price!  I am hoping the Toto does better bowl cleaning as consumer reports ascertains.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014