• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
iON Air Pro Helmet Camera - $49.99 with free shipping and Sold by Willoughby's Established 1898 and Fulfilled by Amazon.

LINK 
REVIEW 
from Cnet 

  • Waterproof to 30-Feet
  • One touch function
  • HD recording - 1080p, 960p and 720p video resolution recording w/ FREE 8 GB cloud storage on the ION CLOUD 

Next lowest price from a rated merchant on Google Products is $179.99 at Fry's

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just got mine yesterday. The camera itself has a standard tripod mount. It also comes with the proprietary Ion quick r... (more)

bguy (Jul. 02, 2014 @ 12:03p) |

the eBay  auction  version of this deal  is now $69
vendor is  willoughbyscamera     same as Amazon 
I offered $55  and it... (more)

SupTech (Jul. 04, 2014 @ 11:28a) |

FYI I purchased the following two mounts (helmet and handlebar), which are based on the standard tripod attachment. $2/$... (more)

omarECD (Jul. 08, 2014 @ 2:05p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Compared to the gopro, its a solid bang for your buck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACIZUV0zRdE
Pretty much, if you do not want to take the time to color correct your video, the iON will work well.

rated:
Revenant said:   
Next lowest price from a rated merchant on Google Products is $179.99 at Fry's

  Price history looks like it's "norm" is $99 with dips into the $69.99-$74.99 range a few recorded times. 

rated:
Neilium said:   Compared to the gopro, its a solid bang for your buck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACIZUV0zRdE 
Pretty much, if you do not want to take the time to color correct your video, the iON will work well.

  
If you don't want to ... dive below 30 feet. 

It it looks like a great above sea line cam, but I take my gopro on dives to 85'+ all the time. 

 

rated:
Kid has been bugging me for a Go Pro, this looks like a good & cheaper alternative. Thanks OP

rated:
Debating on getting this, but would also need the $40 separate Biking/Helmet mount kit, and I would also need a good Class 10 Micro SD card, which I found a Sony brand 64 GB for another $40 on Amazon.

Anyone have a good source for a cheaper 32/64 GB class 10 Micro SD card?

rated:
TheKuja said:   Debating on getting this, but would also need the $40 separate Biking/Helmet mount kit, and I would also need a good Class 10 Micro SD card, which I found a Sony brand 64 GB for another $40 on Amazon.

Anyone have a good source for a cheaper 32/64 GB class 10 Micro SD card?

  Their "kit" is $79:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iON-AIR-PRO-Full-HD-Sports-Action-Camcor...

rated:
respdoc said:   
TheKuja said:   Debating on getting this, but would also need the $40 separate Biking/Helmet mount kit, and I would also need a good Class 10 Micro SD card, which I found a Sony brand 64 GB for another $40 on Amazon.

Anyone have a good source for a cheaper 32/64 GB class 10 Micro SD card?

  Their "kit" is $79:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iON-AIR-PRO-Full-HD-Sports-Action-Camcor...

  
To me that looks like the $49.99 sale on Amazon plus a random 16 GB Micro SD card. So you are basically paying $30 for a 16 GB Micro SD card? 
That "Kit" doesn't seem to have the separate Bike/Helmet mount found here: http://www.amazon.com/Ion-Helmet-Sports-Video-Camera/dp/B007N4J7...

rated:
Schrup said:   Kid has been bugging me for a Go Pro, this looks like a good & cheaper alternative. Thanks OP
  Run it by the kid and get her okay first. They can be sensitive about brands.

rated:
Schrup said: Kid has been bugging me for a Go Pro, this looks like a good & cheaper alternative. Thanks OP

Don't be the parent who buys their kid RoseArt crayons and wonders why they aren't thrilled.

rated:
Based on eBay, was going to buy several and then Amazon says seller on has ONE. So I completed checkout. Went back to Amazon item page, refreshed it, went through steps to buy another one and it would allow me to complete checkout (though I didn't). What are the odds I see it arrive by Prime on Wednesday, or Amazon just ends up cancelling a whole bunch of orders they couldn't fulfill? I thought with Amazon fulfillment, they would have these in stock, and doesn't Amazon have one of the most advanced websites/inventory systems today? Hmmmm... we'll see.

And thanks for the GoPro Hero 3 vs. Air Pro video. I was sold almost immediately, but still watched most of the video and was even more sold on this fitting my needs...and probably most people out there, for a LOT less money than any of the GoPro.

rated:
But you can get pictures like this with GoPro: Mama mia!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89_PDSMf3I

rated:
bout to bite but still prefer my Contour Roam 2 and the like...but thanks anyway.

rated:
For $50, it looks to be better quality than anything else for the price. I bit, should be fie for the occasional motorcycle vid.

rated:
My brother has this knock-off gopro and he has been happy with it.
http://www.foxoffer.com/sj4000-full-hd-waterproof-action-helmet-...
Yes it's my first post.

rated:
bcmiller6 said:   My brother has this knock-off gopro and he has been happy with it.
http://www.foxoffer.com/sj4000-full-hd-waterproof-action-helmet-... 
Yes it's my first post.

  I was just going to post the same.

rated:
YGator said:   
bcmiller6 said:   My brother has this knock-off gopro and he has been happy with it.
http://www.foxoffer.com/sj4000-full-hd-waterproof-action-helmet-... 
Yes it's my first post.

  I was just going to post the same.

  Further steering this thread off-topic ... nice find.  What depth is the sj4000 waterproof to?  Also, max 60fps eliminates the cool factor of slow-mo vid playback.  But the price is compelling.

[update:  30 meters depth]

rated:
After buying my first motorcycle, I'd been waiting on the Go Pro 4, but at $50, this is nearly an impulse buy. In for one. Thanks OP!

rated:
How do i decide between these two? They're both basically the same price after buying the mounting kit for the ion. They're both waterproof (after case with with SJ4000). One is from China, which is a minus, but has very good reviews... The ion seems to have a smaller form factor and looks slightly simpler. Thoughts on how to distinguish them?

rated:
Ordered two yesterday in separate transactions...both saying shipped by Amazon! That's a surprise since when I tried to order two it said there was only one left.

rated:
Got one.
Price just jumped to $99 !

rated:
Price  has now changed to  $69.99 from  another seller.

 

rated:
Kelden21 said:   
Schrup said: Kid has been bugging me for a Go Pro, this looks like a good & cheaper alternative. Thanks OP

Don't be the parent who buys their kid RoseArt crayons and wonders why they aren't thrilled.

  Thanks for the parenting advice! I will now buy him whatever he wants, after all we don't want children that are not thrilled.

rated:
back to 49.99 on Amazon; still can't choose between the two

rated:
imsickofthinkin said:   back to 49.99 on Amazon; still can't choose between the two
  Yes..also that eBay kit offer I mentioned is still there also.  As with before..the eBay item is also with "Best Offer" so someone might be able to get it for quite a bit less than the asking price. 

rated:
isn't the kit just paying $30 for the 16gb SD card, which is too much?  what am I missing?

rated:
imsickofthinkin said:   isn't the kit just paying $30 for the 16gb SD card, which is too much?  what am I missing?
  Like I stated..it's also with "Best Offer" so you can probably get it for quite a bit cheaper.  My suggestion is also geared more towards people that may have to pay tax on Amazon.

 With their sale on eBay..you get to use any eBay bucks, get CashBack, and some minor add-on's (pod, SD card, etc).  Again...everything would all depend on how low you could get them on the best offer. 

rated:
got it - thanks!

rated:
Looks like price is $69.99 now

rated:
respdoc said:   Like I stated..it's also with "Best Offer" so you can probably get it for quite a bit cheaper.  My suggestion is also geared more towards people that may have to pay tax on Amazon.

 With their sale on eBay..you get to use any eBay bucks, get CashBack, and some minor add-on's (pod, SD card, etc).  Again...everything would all depend on how low you could get them on the best offer. 
 

  
I see some recent accepted offers on the eBay kit.  If anyone here made a lower offer and got one, let us know what you paid.   I know this is in expired deals now, but hopefully someone else is still following it.

Oh, and I do have to pay sales tax items sold by Amazon (I'm in CA), but not if it's an item sold by someone that doesn't collect tax in my state.  In this case, Willoughby's doesn't.  The Amazon item is sold by Willoughby's, and fulfilled by Amazon, which is different from items sold and shipped by Amazon.

rated:
Bought one of these, thanks OP.

It sounds like one of the two mounts is universal (standard threaded tripod connection), and the other mount (clip in) is specific to the iOn Air Pro. Has anyone been able to find cheap mounts (bicycle, car, motorcycle, etc.) for the universal mount, that is less than the "ion air mount kit" that people are referring to above?

For example, would this work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Tripod... 

rated:
I just got mine yesterday. The camera itself has a standard tripod mount. It also comes with the proprietary Ion quick release mount for the camera side only, and it attaches with a tripod screw.

I didn't get any of the other mounts, and wanted to use try it out on my commute on my motorcycle. A tripod screw is 1/4 x 20. I have a light bar, so I replaced one of the light mounting bolts with a long 1/4x20 bolt. I added a nut to lock the camera on. It's not the most graceful of mounts, but it was cheap and worked just fine. It's not quick release, but I can remove the camera with a wrench and about 20 seconds.

Setting the camera up the first time was interesting. In order to configure the camera, you have to install a micro SD card and turn the camera on. It copies the ion.exe file to the mSD card, and the camera acts as a card reader. You need the program in order to have the camera format the card. The manual and quick start guide don't indicate what format the micro SD card needs to be formatted in. I figured FAT32, but the one I had was NTFS (I wanted to use it with large files). I put it in, and could see the card, but the file wasn't written to the card. After turning the camera off and on a few times, I decided to try formatting it FAT32 and see if that helped. After formatting the card (and turning the camera off and on) the camera said the card wasn't formatted, and wanted to format it. Ok, format and on more off and on cycle and the ion.exe file is there.

I used it for my morning commute, and it looks good. I can pause the video and read license plates once they are less than 20' away. There was some waviness from engine vibrations, but not too horrible. 37 minute video is about 3.5 gigs. I'm not sure what happens when it hits the FAT32 file size limit (~4G).

rated:
the eBay  auction  version of this deal  is now $69
vendor is  willoughbyscamera     same as Amazon 
I offered $55  and it did not fly .

Since i got one for $50  via Amazon ...that was as high as I was willing to go 
FWIW

rated:
FYI I purchased the following two mounts (helmet and handlebar), which are based on the standard tripod attachment. $2/$3 each, can't beat that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Bike-Bicycle-Helmet-Mount-Holder... 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Tripod-Moun... 

Also see:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&LH_BIN...

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014