• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-chromecast-hdmi-streaming-med...

Chromecast is the easy way to enjoy online video and music on your TV. Plug it into any HDTV and control it with your existing Android smartphone or tablet, iPhone®, iPad®, or laptop. No remotes required. Cast your favorites from many popular apps — Netflix, YouTube, HBO GO, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Crackle, Rdio, MLB.TV, ESPN, MLS, Crunchyroll, Google Play Movies & TV, Google Play Music, Google Photos, and Chrome* — to your TV with the press of a button

Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It functions as a wireless "bridge", projecting streaming from browsers on other devices to your TV.

garycook (Jul. 28, 2014 @ 11:28p) |

I have a chromebook (running on a celeron processor) and any streaming video that runs in a chrome browser, I can cast i... (more)

missedit (Jul. 29, 2014 @ 9:53a) |

Dod you need partcular chrome extension  or any app to be installed for this?

PhinTron (Jul. 29, 2014 @ 11:52a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sorry, linky is working now.

rated:
Thanks LB,
I needed to order one of these this week.

rated:
woowoo2 said:   Thanks LB,
I needed to order one of these this week.

Welcome. It's only $5 off but if you need it it's better then nothing.

rated:
These are so cool.

rated:
Neilium said:   You are so cool.

Yes I am.

rated:
are they better than the Roku?

rated:
kevfern said:   are they better than the Roku?
No.........and your android cellphone is tied up as a remote.
R.o.k.u  has a dedicated remote to which you can attach the included headphone for a wireless listening experience without disturbing others.

rated:
Programming choices... no
Wireless connectivity.... yes 

rated:
I thought so too until I bought one and found out I cannot use VLC with it.  Mine is going back.

rated:
skmerrow said:   I thought so too until I bought one and found out I cannot use VLC with it.  Mine is going back.
It's Google's way or the highway.
Mine's already back but got 3 Months of Netflix for my trouble.

rated:
ShakuniMama said:   
skmerrow said:   I thought so too until I bought one and found out I cannot use VLC with it.  Mine is going back.

Google highway???

rated:
Neilium said:   
ShakuniMama said:   

Google highway???

Why do you think Google is building so many pontoons ?
It's supposed to be a transatlantic Google highway.

rated:
thanks OP - I'll pick one up today!

rated:
Isn't VLC chromecast support imminent?

rated:

Bagofchips said:   Isn't VLC chromecast support imminent?
Help me understand what you mean by VLC support - are you talking about casting from your computer? (if so, just open the video in Chrome and cast the tab)
Or are you talking about casting from VLC on your Mobile device? If so, if you are using an Android device on kitkat, you can now mirror your screen to chromecast. (I don't know about other OSs)

rated:
there are lots of options for streaming videos from your home devices to chromecast and i have tested 2 till now and they work flawlessly
1. Avia app in android
2. Plex player in android
for plex u need to install a kind of server on your laptop/HomePC, they are free. this will then recognize your media on ur laptop and make them available over wifi and then use your android phone to pick one and play, your chromecast picks up from there directly from your PC. No need of VLC players, they are mainly for computers

rated:
ShakuniMama said:   
No.........and your android cellphone is tied up as a remote.

Not really true.....
Yes the phone can be used as a remote, but it is not tied up at all, it's free to do other things.

rated:
thanks OP. picked one up

rated:
woowoo2 said:   
Programming choices... no
Wireless connectivity.... yes 

The Roku 3 and Roku Streaming Stick have superior wireless connectivity, they support dual-band a/b/g/n while Chromecast is b/g/n 2.4 GHz only.

rated:
I still don't understand how this works. It is a monthly subscription right with ChromeCast right?

rated:
The best thing since sliced bread and it keeps getting better.

rated:
dmow said:   I still don't understand how this works. It is a monthly subscription right with ChromeCast right?
  No. Chromecast is just a device (one time cost). You can "cast" (stream) to it, and it will just output the video onto the screen you connect it to. 

rated:
dmow said:   I still don't understand how this works. It is a monthly subscription right with ChromeCast right?
There's no monthly fee for the Chromecast device since it doesn't really do anything on its own, you have to install Google apps on your mobile device or computer and stream video to the Chromecast from those apps. Some apps (like Netflix) may require separate monthly fees.

rated:
same price on Amazon

rated:
screen mirroring on nexus devices kicks Miracast butt!

rated:
With the LG G2 running KK, I can cast the entire screen on my TV.
Sweet!

rated:
If I'm not wrong, this has been the price on Amazon for a while.

rated:
These are the current apps available for Chromecast. ( chromecast.com/apps )
Literrally you can screen cast everything from Chrome Browser.

I have S3 and as per google,Screen mirroring was not enabled, but in XDA, they have a MirrorWnabler app and wnow i can mirror my screen.
When i boughtlast year with netflix deal, i didn't used it much but after all the improvements, its cool device.

rated:
msakthivel said:   These are the current apps available for Chromecast. ( chromecast.com/apps )
Literrally you can screen cast everything from Chrome Browser.

I have S3 and as per google,Screen mirroring was not enabled, but in XDA, they have a MirrorWnabler app and wnow i can mirror my screen.
When i boughtlast year with netflix deal, i didn't used it much but after all the improvements, its cool device.

Not only that, but google is set to realease a update to allow the chromecast app it's self do screen mirroring on your smart phone.  That with Plex and Now the added support of popcorn time, not to mention pluto.tv.  Like I said the best thing since slice bread, and it keeps getting better. The .apk release has made this a steal at the price.

rated:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/expe...

If you are rooted you should check this app out, allows you to mirror your screen if you don't have a nexus. Works on my ATT Galaxy Note 2 and Sony Ultra Z GPE.

rated:
does it allow you stream any video?

rated:
soloo said:   does it allow you stream any video?
  It functions as a wireless "bridge", projecting streaming from browsers on other devices to your TV.  

rated:
I have a chromebook (running on a celeron processor) and any streaming video that runs in a chrome browser, I can cast it to my TV in full screen mode and I haven't seen one hiccup ever. I can even close the lid on my chromebook and the video runs on the TV. Of course, in this mode, the laptop does all heavy lifting and you can feel it remains very warm to touch. For youtube videos alone, chromecast does all heavy lifting and you can even shut down your laptop after you create a playlist and watch it all on your TV.

rated:
missedit said:   I have a chromebook (running on a celeron processor) and any streaming video that runs in a chrome browser, I can cast it to my TV in full screen mode and I haven't seen one hiccup ever. I can even close the lid on my chromebook and the video runs on the TV. Of course, in this mode, the laptop does all heavy lifting and you can feel it remains very warm to touch. For youtube videos alone, chromecast does all heavy lifting and you can even shut down your laptop after you create a playlist and watch it all on your TV.
  Dod you need partcular chrome extension  or any app to be installed for this?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014