• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Infrared Thermometer-Thermal Predator Brand-Digital Gun Style with Laser Accuracy to Probe Surface Temperature $13.99 after coupon
Promo Code: PREDATOR
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KI67F5E Infrared Thermometer-Thermal Predator Brand-Digital Gun Style with Laser Accuracy to Probe Surface Temperature using non-contact sensor. Helps gauge, and double check your work!-Best Money Back Guarantee and 1 Year Warranty!!

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

pic (66.62kB)
Thanks tommythe
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Anyone know how well it works on things like roasts, etc?  I bought one a few years back that was in same price range and none of the readingwere even close to accurate.  I have an insert thermo with dial that is pretty good roasts and chickens but due to kidney disease it is dangerous to bend over and put the thing in place.  Got battle scars
to show for effort. 

rated:
I think they are generally pretty accurate, however, you need to understand a few things:

1) It assumes certain things about emissivity. Using it on something transparent or reflective is likely to lead to errors.
2) The "laser accuracy" is nothing more than a laser pointer which shows you the center of a circle you are aiming at. The diameter of the circle is typically something on the order of 1/6th to 1/12th the range. So if you are shooting from a foot away, you might be looking at a 2" diameter circle centered on the spot. If you are from 2 feet away, its more like 4".
3) It's only reading the surface temperature which could be very different from the internal temperature. If you are trying to check if meat is properly cooked, I think it'd be a bad idea to use this.

rated:
hpmax said:   [snippage]
3) It's only reading the surface temperature which could be very different from the internal temperature. If you are trying to check if meat is properly cooked, I think it'd be a bad idea to use this.

Absolutely this.  Before you use a tool, you need to know the limitations of the tool, and what it does.  These measure surface
emission of heat.  They won't tell you anything (except by inference) about what's under the surface.  For instance, if your 
roast has just come out of a 325-degree oven, the surface is probably pretty close to 325 degrees.  The interior could be
anywhere between room temperature and 325 degrees.

So what would you use something like this for?  Perhaps to see if you have weak spots in your home insulation; it would be
good for seeing a difference of several degrees in wall temperature between an insulated spot and an uninsulated spot, or
seeing where you have hot or cold spots on your outside walls.  
for 

rated:
dead

rated:
There are several similar devices at similar prices available all the time from Amazan and New-egg and such.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014