• Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

buydig (148.59kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
no bluetooth though.. its nice to have bluetooth so the voice navigations can be routed through the car audio.

rameshms (Sep. 01, 2014 @ 10:16p) |

You would need a car radio with bluetooth...

yesidonoitall (Sep. 01, 2014 @ 10:23p) |

FYI.  Recently went with similar 50LM deal and tried to use the GPS for trip to Montreal. Found out that map of Canada i... (more)

Drizzt (Sep. 02, 2014 @ 12:30p) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
These are great, though I do miss it not having a speaker out jack....

rated:
Gotta be getting tough for Garmin. My F150 even has GPS built-in. Not to mention my iPhone. Maybe I should get a third GPS for mission critical trips?!

rated:
I still prefer a Garmin type to my cell phone overall

Cell is definitely more convenient, but Garmin has better useability.

Plus when I go to Canada, I cant use the Cell

rated:
jjmIII said:   Gotta be getting tough for Garmin. My F150 even has GPS built-in. Not to mention my iPhone. Maybe I should get a third GPS for mission critical trips?!
  You could buy a stack of these Garmin's with lifetime map updates for what you will pay for a single map update for that built in Ford GPS.

I have a smart phone like everybody else with GPS unlimited data etc and STILL prefer the Garmin.

Everybody has their preferences but I don't want to bother tying up my phone with GPS when I can rely on my Garmin with lifetime map with fresh updates every 3 months.

rated:
Yeah my Garmin has better speakers and louder volumes than my phone.  You also don't get busted for interacting with a GPS than you do with a phone.

rated:
I need to get a Garmin soon for a trip. I don't have a smartphone, so I a Garmin is kind of a necessity.

rated:
Virgil27 said:   I need to get a Garmin soon for a trip. I don't have a smartphone, so I a Garmin is kind of a necessity.
  The extra real estate afforded by the 5" model vs the smaller models is very nice.  Everything is just much less cramped.

The "Garmin Express" software makes it really easy to update the maps on these things these days as well.

rated:
phutureprimative said:   
jjmIII said:   Gotta be getting tough for Garmin. My F150 even has GPS built-in. Not to mention my iPhone. Maybe I should get a third GPS for mission critical trips?!
  You could buy a stack of these Garmin's with lifetime map updates for what you will pay for a single map update for that built in Ford GPS.

I have a smart phone like everybody else with GPS unlimited data etc and STILL prefer the Garmin.

Everybody has their preferences but I don't want to bother tying up my phone with GPS when I can rely on my Garmin with lifetime map with fresh updates every 3 months.

I have and use the Ford GPS. The Garmin at $85 - you could buy exactly 1.7 Garmins for the price of the Ford update at $149 - hardly a "stack".

And for those of us who don't have cell phones or "smart" phones (no service where I live), the Ford GPS works just fine. I've had mine in my Ford for over 5 years and haven't needed to update it anyway.

rated:
prosperity said:   
phutureprimative said:   

I have and use the Ford GPS. The Garmin at $85 - you could buy exactly 1.7 Garmins for the price of the Ford update at $149 - hardly a "stack".

And for those of us who don't have cell phones or "smart" phones (no service where I live), the Ford GPS works just fine. I've had mine in my Ford for over 5 years and haven't needed to update it anyway.

5 year old road data and POI's.  LOL!  

So Ford doesn't jack you "as"  hard as some of the other car manufactures.

The point being is I pay $80 and I get fresh map and POI data for FREE ever 3 months and NOT $150 every time I want to have an actual accurate and useful GPS unit.

rated:
I saw that GPS selling for $75 a few weeks ago. This is more than the regular price!

rated:
flyhighutah said:   I saw that GPS selling for $75 a few weeks ago. This is more than the regular price!
  I don't think so.....

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   
flyhighutah said:   I saw that GPS selling for $75 a few weeks ago. This is more than the regular price!
  I don't think so.....

It was refub though LINK

rated:
While they (cops) hit you hard for cell phone use, there is no specific law about using the GPS or even the SiriusXM unit.
it can come under
Inattentive driving or whatever they call it.

rated:
flyhighutah said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
  I don't think so.....

It was refub though LINK

Well, used is used, new is new

rated:
At least in California, it is okay to access maps on your phone while driving:

http://www.cnet.com/news/california-court-drivers-can-use-smartp... 

Also, there are smartphone apps that can be used offline. You just have to research your options.

On the other hand, if you want GPS, I would recommend getting a BT enabled one. It is very handy to make or accept calls.

I think latest high end GPS also comes with dashcam, which can also be useful, especially with limited power source. But the manufacturers are asking for too much, IMO.

rated:
kickerstarter said:   At least in California, it is okay to access maps on your phone while driving:

http://www.cnet.com/news/california-court-drivers-can-use-smartp...

ok, got it, I  will just tell the cop I was napping.....on the phone

rated:

rated:
HKSturboKid said:   Staples also have the Garmin 50LM refurb for $75.99.  Combine that with a coupon and you can have a nice gps with Lifetime maps for less.

Amazon has the Garmin 52LM for $109.99 (was $97.99 last night) 4.5 Stars with 2,509 reviews 

Bestbuy also has the Garmin 52LM for $99.99 (Was $97.99 last night) 4.5 Stars (808 customer reviews) 

Walmart has the Garmin 52LM Refurb for $88.

You remembered all that from last night and didn't verify today?  LOL 

rated:
C320 said:   
HKSturboKid said:   Staples also have the Garmin 50LM refurb for $75.99.  Combine that with a coupon and you can have a nice gps with Lifetime maps for less.

Amazon has the Garmin 52LM for $109.99 (was $97.99 last night) 4.5 Stars with 2,509 reviews 

Bestbuy also has the Garmin 52LM for $99.99 (Was $97.99 last night) 4.5 Stars (808 customer reviews) 

Walmart has the Garmin 52LM Refurb for $88.

You remembered all that from last night and didn't verify today?  LOL 

The reason I remember is because I went to do a PM at Staples today with both Amazon and Bestbuy printouts and use my last month's rewards to sweeten the deal.  The reason I bring both Bestbuy and Amazon printout is because it depends on the manager.  Sometimes they don't PM online (Amazon) so I have Bestbuy as backup.

Amazon CamelCamelCamel shows the lowest on this is $95.99 on 8/16/14 and then went back up to $97.99 8/17/14.

rated:
The comment above which is talking about "tough times for Garmin" could be misplaced. Sure, I use my Android and Google Maps and Google Navigation (2nd to none!) while I am in the US. But try to use your smart phone while traveling internationally say simply to Canada - which I do quite often. If you try and use your smartphone live, you'll be hit with massive international data roaming charges. I've tried to download offline maps of the region I'm going, and it just isn't the same as it can't download an entire database of hotels, businesses, airports, etc. That leaves you to the good old, solid, stand-alone GPS! I agree, the model listed here isn't that helpful since it only includes the "lower 49 states" -- I have no idea if Alaska is included with lower 49 or not but that's what is listed.

Look for GPS's which state either Canada + USA, or North America with the option to download Europe, or elsewhere - typically about 49.00USD per region.

I travel to Canada quite often and never leave without my trusty Garmin with live traffic.

rated:
carbo1turbo said:   The comment above which is talking about "tough times for Garmin" could be misplaced. Sure, I use my Android and Google Maps and Google Navigation (2nd to none!) while I am in the US. But try to use your smart phone while traveling internationally say simply to Canada - which I do quite often. If you try and use your smartphone live, you'll be hit with massive international data roaming charges. I've tried to download offline maps of the region I'm going, and it just isn't the same as it can't download an entire database of hotels, businesses, airports, etc. That leaves you to the good old, solid, stand-alone GPS! I agree, the model listed here isn't that helpful since it only includes the "lower 49 states" -- I have no idea if Alaska is included with lower 49 or not but that's what is listed.

Look for GPS's which state either Canada + USA, or North America with the option to download Europe, or elsewhere - typically about 49.00USD per region.

I travel to Canada quite often and never leave without my trusty Garmin with live traffic.

Total agree.  

Also, if you rent a car during travel, they will charge you $10+ a day to rent a gps.  That's another reason I take my gps with me when I travel within the states.

rated:
Get a Nokia smartphone, either Symbian or Windows Mobile. They come with an offline worldwide navigation. Free. Will use an internet connection if available for traffic. 

rated:
Whats going to kill garmin is their lack of innovation. I also have the smart phone and gps and much prefer the gps. I have and use one of their older models which does exactly the same thing as this one. I would consider updating if they offered... something. The video is a link to a comparison of the prior model which is slightly faster than this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUNarKVMIZI

rated:
phutureprimative said:   
Virgil27 said:   I need to get a Garmin soon for a trip. I don't have a smartphone, so I a Garmin is kind of a necessity.
  The extra real estate afforded by the 5" model vs the smaller models is very nice.  Everything is just much less cramped.

The "Garmin Express" software makes it really easy to update the maps on these things these days as well.

Garmin Express, on the contrary, will probably be the company's undoing!

The downloads take over 1 hour to update and that is on the public library's "fast" internet.

hpm.

rated:
hpmaster said:   
phutureprimative said:   

Garmin Express, on the contrary, will probably be the company's undoing!

The downloads take over 1 hour to update and that is on the public library's "fast" internet.

hpm.

I just did a full map update yesterday and it took all of 25 minutes.
I plugged my GPS unit in to the USB attached to Windows 7 computer.
Garmin Express popped up and recognized the GPS and said there were map updates available.
I clicked install, never had to touch another thing and 25 minutes later it was done.
Then again, I wasn't in some public library on a dubious "fast" connection.

rated:
Garmin sells a GPS software also.  I would say the automotive GPS is a dying product, but their is still life in it.   Garmin sells GPS for hunters, and they sell GPS for hickers.  I still do love the standalone GPS, but I love using Waze more.

rated:
ComputeThis said:   Garmin sells a GPS software also.  I would say the automotive GPS is a dying product, but their is still life in it.   Garmin sells GPS for hunters, and they sell GPS for hickers.  I still do love the standalone GPS, but I love using Waze more.
  Not sure about hickers but hikers will definitely can use one.  

rated:
HKSturboKid said:   
ComputeThis said:   Garmin sells a GPS software also.  I would say the automotive GPS is a dying product, but their is still life in it.   Garmin sells GPS for hunters, and they sell GPS for hickers.  I still do love the standalone GPS, but I love using Waze more.
  Not sure about hickers but hikers will definitely can use one.  

Not sure, but isn't it grammatically correct to say "hikers will definitely use one" or "hikers definitely can use one" instead of what you posted?  LOL

rated:
Thank you for the correction.  I definitely meant hikers. 

"Hickers" is a word in the Urban Dictionary, but I still did not mean to use it.

rated:
no bluetooth though.. its nice to have bluetooth so the voice navigations can be routed through the car audio.

rated:
rameshms said:   no bluetooth though.. its nice to have bluetooth so the voice navigations can be routed through the car audio.
  You would need a car radio with bluetooth...

rated:
FYI.  Recently went with similar 50LM deal and tried to use the GPS for trip to Montreal. Found out that map of Canada is not included never mind the lifetime update. I just ordered micro sd card of entire North America from eBay. $18.90 instead of Garmin's $79.99. I ordered the eBay one given we make trips to Canada a lot since we live so close to the border...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-City-Navigator-NT2014-30-Map-Nort... 
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-north-america-nt/prod1456_010-11551-00.html

Not sure if 52LM deal includes map of Canada, if not, it may affect buying decision on people who live near Canada/Mexico.  My guess is that it comes with map of lower 48 states.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014