Metro PCS website, Nokia 521, $19.00

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://www.metropcs.com/cellphones.html

I was wanting a Nokia 521 for my T-Mobile prepaid account.  I found the Metro PCS Nokia 521 for $19.00.  It is a great deal at this price.  I know I will have to have the phone unlocked to use my T-Mobile SIM card.  Am I missing some aspect where this phone would not be a great deal for my intended use?

Member Summary

Nokia 521
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
My phone's going back. It keeps rebooting on me or just go into black screen and I can't get out of it except to restar... (more)

shallot (Sep. 13, 2014 @ 12:22a) |

Not OS, I think we would have heard by now if all the millions of WP phones constantly rebooted.   

Could just be a bad ph... (more)

jaimelobo (Sep. 13, 2014 @ 1:28p) |

Thx, battery contact is not the issue.  I decided to put the MPCS sim card in, but not activate it.  The phone is now su... (more)

shallot (Sep. 13, 2014 @ 5:29p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

if i remember correctly, the nokia isn't so easy or so cheap to unlock.
so it might wind up costing you less headaches and money buying it for $49 from microsoft store

hell ya just for the wifi media remote and player. Small screen but fine phone.

Isn't Metro PCS CDMA and Tmobile is GSM? Unless this phone supports both CDMA and GSM.

Metro PCS is now owned by T-Mobile and is converting to GSM to use T-Mobile network.

Two questions:
1) How to get it unlocked?
Have been searching the net, not able to find any cheap way yet.
2) The MS store says its Lumia 521 for T-mo. Does it mean its locked with T-mo even though its no contract phone?

ever1talk2me said:   Two questions:
2) The MS store says its Lumia 521 for T-mo. Does it mean its locked with T-mo even though its no contract phone?

There is no cheap way to unlock these. As far as I know nobody in the US sells a version of this phone unlocked. I purchased a MetroPCS version of the 521 a while back and it was locked to Metro, a T-Mobile SIM wouldn't work at all in it. The T-Mobile version at the Microsoft Store will be locked to T-Mobile.

Put a microSD card in it and load up the maps of your entire country. The US is like 3.7 gigs.

Free offline GPS, music player and internet device. Incredible bargain. Love my 520 in wifi only mode!

coolbreeze said:   Put a microSD card in it and load up the maps of your entire country. The US is like 3.7 gigs.

Free offline GPS, music player and internet device. Incredible bargain. Love my 520 in wifi only mode!

Can you enlight people on how to do the maps? Since I wouldn't know where to start.

just load up the app and Dl the maps, i been loving my 520 since getting it a few months ago.  i just ordered 2 of these.  it's a steal at this price.  at worst, you have a decent car gps.

Compare at Amazon for $77.22.

The address you entered is not in our MetroPCS Home Coverage Area. Customers must be in a home area to have and/or set up service. Please check our coverage map and look for Home Area to see where we sell phones. we apologize for inconvenience.>>>>Bummer

Is that T-Mobile compatible out of box?

Can you use Viber or Skype or the like on this?

Out of stock online.

ever1talk2me said:   Two questions:

Metro PCS is owned by T Mobile, but you need to have an account with Metro to unlock phone. T Mobile users will not be able to unlock this phone. If you are with T Mobile, then you will need to buy the T Mobile 521 to unlock the phone. I've seen people online/Craiglist advertising unlock code for 521 in the range of $30-$50.

Best way to use the HERE GPS turn-by-turn navigation is to sign up for an account when you first turn on the phone. This will allow you to update the HERE app. When the Nokia Cyan firmware and Windows Phone 8.1 is available for update via settings/system/phone update, then you will be able to install the HERE+ app with free world map. Map can be downloaded/updated via settings/applications/map.

krazyrph said:   The address you entered is not in our MetroPCS Home Coverage Area. Customers must be in a home area to have and/or set up service. Please check our coverage map and look for Home Area to see where we sell phones. we apologize for inconvenience.>>>>Bummer
  Same here. Even though the coverage according to their maps should be excellent (Tmobile), they don't sell plans here so I guess I can't buy this.

Just picked one up online...in stock for me. Thanks OP.

Can anyone confirm.. Will this work with tmobile out of the box? If not, will it work with tmobile once it is unlocked?

Monkeybiz said:   hell ya just for the wifi media remote and player. Small screen but fine phone.
  What apps do you use for this?  I haven't figured out hoew to do this with my 521.  

It is pretty easy with my android phone, but I can't play music from my NAS on the 521.  I have found some things that might work on the 521 once it upgrades to Windows 8.1, but no luck with 8.0.

Windows Phone 8.x doesn't allow directory access, thus you can't send anything beside pictures, videos, and word doc. You cannot play music by folder, you can only do it by album or artist or playlist. fyi.

EDIT: Maybe w/ the Windows 8.1 Update, you can access your folder now.

coolbreeze said:   Put a microSD card in it and load up the maps of your entire country. The US is like 3.7 gigs.

Im loving mine. Bought one for cross country road trip. Downloaded us maps, created a huge playlist on Spotify and downloaded that too.  I got tired of using my iPhone as a GPS and no storage space to download Spotify playlists. 

serenity22 said:   Can you use Viber or Skype or the like on this?
  You can call and text on Viber and Skype but no video calling because no front cam (unless you want to use back cam

How good is the offline GPS? can it calculate new route w/o data connection?

ntddvltt said:   
serenity22 said:   Can you use Viber or Skype or the like on this?
  You can call and text on Viber and Skype but no video calling because no front cam (unless you want to use back cam

Saw a tip on another forum to use a bathroom mirror with the rear (no pun intended) facing camera.
Not optimal setup but it works.

windingpath said:   How good is the offline GPS? can it calculate new route w/o data connection?  

Yes. Uses the same NAVTEQ map found on Garmin GPS.

I saw "The address you entered is not in our MetroPCS Home Coverage Area. Customers must be in a home area to have and/or set up service. Please check our coverage map and look for Home Area to see where we sell phones. we apologize for inconvenience."

Anybody know what is that?

agagthegreat said:   Can anyone confirm.. Will this work with tmobile out of the box? If not, will it work with tmobile once it is unlocked?
No, it will not work with T-Mobile until it is unlocked by Metro PCS.

Yes, it will work with T-Mobile after it is unlocked by Metro PCS.

lizhenhuamiester said:   I saw "The address you entered is not in our MetroPCS Home Coverage Area. Customers must be in a home area to have and/or set up service. Please check our coverage map and look for Home Area to see where we sell phones. we apologize for inconvenience."

Anybody know what is that?

Yes.

It means your address is not within the Metro PCS coverage area.  You can't get service outside the Metro PCS coverage area.  Therefore, Metro PCS won't sell you a phone and they apologize for the inconvenience.

The link seems to be not working.

serenity22 said:   The link seems to be not working.
Go to the Metro PCS home page.

Click on the Phones link.

Click on the Nokia link.

Click on the Lumia 521 link.

Do we know yet if this will accept a SIM?

serenity22 said:   Do we know yet if this will accept a SIM?
  521 uses a micro sim card

There are a lot of Indians on this forum. Any cheap/easy success unlocking this in India?

Pardon my ignorance but from the posts here I am trying to understand something. Will the phone work out of the box on wifi for internet, gps, viber, etc. without actually being activated with a phone number? Thanks in advance.

A few things:

1) If you try to order more than 1 or sometimes 2 of these phones, your order will be rejected.
2) Often, you will get a message saying that your order has been submitted but has not yet been approved and to contact customer service. This is because it takes them between 24-72 hours to verify your payment information with your credit card company. I have no idea why.
3) MetroPCS has TERRIBLE customer service. It took me over 30 minutes to speak to an actual person and they were not very helpful.
4) This is a great phone for the price. I bought the 520 about a month ago specifically for offline GPS/navigation use and it's pretty good.

smileshadow said:   

Pardon my ignorance but from the posts here I am trying to understand something. Will the phone work out of the box on wifi for internet, gps, viber, etc. without actually being activated with a phone number? Thanks in advance.

I can only speak to the 520 but yes. Just pop in the SIM card. Didn't have to sign up for an account, but the phone required a SIM card at first to get things started. 

site is down.

520,521 band specs:
WCDMA / HSPA+ 21 (3G / 4G)
850 Cellular / band 5 (V) Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
1700 AWS / band 4 (IV) Americas
1900 PCS / band 2 (II) Americas
GSM (2G)
850 Cellular Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
900 Europe, Asia, Africa
1800 DCS Europe, Asia, Africa
1900 PCS Americas

520 has WCDMA 900, 2100 instead of 1700

Skipping 80 Messages...
jaimelobo said:   
shallot said:   My phone's going back. It keeps rebooting on me or just go into black screen and I can't get out of it except to restart. Doing a hard reset did not solve the problem. Maybe that's why it's only $19. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or Windows phone software issue.
Not OS, I think we would have heard by now if all the millions of WP phones constantly rebooted.   

Could just be a bad phone, but if you want to check something before sending it back. pull out the battery and check the contacts. When these (and the 520's) first came out, there was an issue where the battery would momentarily disconnect and reboot the phone. Haven't heard about that lately, I assumed Nokia had corrected the issue.

You could try bending the contacts a little to make sure you have a firm connection, that seemed to solve it for most who tried it.

Thx, battery contact is not the issue.  I decided to put the MPCS sim card in, but not activate it.  The phone is now suddenly very stable, no reboots and no black screen.  Prior to this I was getting reboots and lots of black screens and I can't wake up the phone.  I wonder what is going on here.  I'll monitor it for a few days and see if the hardware is now stable.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014