• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
martin628 said:   I have this phone, so some advice...
I don't remeber a SIM card being required to activate like an iPhone, I just hit okay when it tells you there is no network available.
It only requires WiFi to operate any of the features, the cell network is only required for calling and cell data.

Upgrade the OS firmware to the lastest version (WindowsPhone 8.0, Lumia Black) asap and update all the system apps afterwards.
The new OS (WindowsPhone 8.1, Lumia Cyan) will be available this fall, and will bring the phone's capabilities inline with newer Android and iOS, plus add a very good voice assistance, Cortana.
Buy a large micro-SD card and set the phone storage system app to use the card for all media. Once 8.1 comes out, apps can be moved to the SD card as well.

Here Maps, the Nokia version of mobile mapping is considered on par or even better than Google Maps, and lets you download individual maps for offline use.
Once they are downloaded, set any maps apps to use the stored maps, and in those areas you will not need data for GPS.
After the Cyan upgrade, Here Maps+ will be available for free allowing worldwide offline maps.
Also Here offers a suite of location based app tools, all are very good and should be downloaded.

The App Store has a free Nokia collection of apps, with either enhanced versions of free apps or apps that are usually not free, as an incentive to buy Nokia phones, make good use of them.

Do not buy this phone to use with T-Mobile, buy the T-Mobile version instead even though it costs more
You will not come out ahead after buying an unlock code, which may or not work, and trying to change the firmware over to T-Mobile.
MetroPCS requires three months of paid serice (@$40/mo) before they will unlock the phone.

Can you quickly give a link or how-to on how to upgrade the OS. I have this phone on stock 8.0 that it had come with.

Very good ideas on how to use this phone as a "un-phone".

rated:
FYI.  Not available for me to order online because of location but Was able to price match at Best Buy. 

rated:
dearmas54 said:   FYI.  Not available for me to order online because of location but Was able to price match at Best Buy. 
At a Best Buy retail store?

Or by calling 1-888-BESTBUY?

rated:
I wouldn't say the mapping algorithm of the HERE Maps is on par with Google Maps. Google Maps is heads and shoulder above the Nokia one. When I was in LA, HERE Maps directed me to go through a bunch of town centers to get to my destination. Took over 1 hour. It would have taken 1/2 as long if I went w/ the Google Maps suggestion (I looked it up on the PC b/f heading out).

rated:
prastogi2012 said:   
Can you quickly give a link or how-to on how to upgrade the OS. I have this phone on stock 8.0 that it had come with.

Go to settings, system, phone update, click - check for update...

Note: as pointed out below, I left out settings app entry to system settings...

rated:
plainview said:   
dearmas54 said:   FYI.  Not available for me to order online because of location but Was able to price match at Best Buy. 
At a Best Buy retail store?

Or by calling 1-888-BESTBUY?

In-store

rated:
Best Buy would not price match for me in store, Bel Air, MD.

rated:
martin628 said:   
prastogi2012 said:   

Go to system apps, phone update, click - check for update...

No System Apps on mine. Found Phone Update under Settings.

rated:
serenity22 said:   
martin628 said:   
prastogi2012 said:   

No System Apps on mine.

The sequence is:

1. settings

2. phone update

3. check for updates

rated:
Is there somewhere a list of bloatware to get rid of?

rated:
o2cats said:   I get "While we refill our online inventory, this product is available at your local MetroPCS Store". The corporate store are far away. Anyone know if the affiliated stores honor this price?
  My experience is that they will honor the price, but they aren't going to sell it to you without either service or paying a "reprogramming" fee. I have been to a couple of local authorized dealers, and had widely different experiences. I wanted to buy a Huawei Valiant for $19, one store was happy to sell it to me at that price, but required me to activate it on a $60 monthly plan, and buy $50 worth of accessories (a case and charger), and also wanted an additional $10 for a SIM card, and if you didn't buy all of that stuff they wouldn't sell it to you.

The other store was much different, I told them my old phone was broken, and I needed a replacement, they offered to sell me the phone at that price (including a SIM card and charger that the other place had removed from the box and required you to pay extra for), with only a $15 "reprogramming fee". I understand them wanting to add a little something onto the deal, as they probably aren't making much selling the phone at that price. I did buy the one with the fee because it was still a great deal.

rated:
cr3s said:   I wouldn't say the mapping algorithm of the HERE Maps is on par with Google Maps. Google Maps is heads and shoulder above the Nokia one. When I was in LA, HERE Maps directed me to go through a bunch of town centers to get to my destination. Took over 1 hour. It would have taken 1/2 as long if I went w/ the Google Maps suggestion (I looked it up on the PC b/f heading out).  

Never encountered poor routing around LA or OC areas.

rated:
cr3s said:   I wouldn't say the mapping algorithm of the HERE Maps is on par with Google Maps. Google Maps is heads and shoulder above the Nokia one. When I was in LA, HERE Maps directed me to go through a bunch of town centers to get to my destination. Took over 1 hour. It would have taken 1/2 as long if I went w/ the Google Maps suggestion (I looked it up on the PC b/f heading out).
Check your NAV settings.  It's probably set for shortest (miles) route.  

rated:
  in related news MetroPCS has expanded to ten new markets. 
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014/09/metropcs-adds-more-high-...
The new MetroPCS markets are:

• Chattanooga, TN
  • Chicago, IL
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Minneapolis-St.Paul, MN
  • Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, VA
  • Richmond-Petersburg, VA
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewick, WA

rated:
just got the last 2 at Best Buy , I got the 520 at Christmas for $40 , 

nice phone but no cheap unlocks for either the 520 or 521 , even from other countries on eBay

I planned on using it in Europe as a phone but will probably end up using it as GPS only

rated:
Bottom line - Do not buy this phone unless you plan on using it with Metro PCS. Unless you plan to unlock it to use with other carriers, or you will not be using it as a phone. The unlocks for this phone are difficult and expensive to come by for 3rd party unlockers.

rated:
I use a Nexus 5 98% of the time, the 520 on occasion. HERE Maps is in no way as good as Google Maps, for sure, but for offline use, it cannot be beat. Here in SLC, the left lane of I-15 is a "toll lane." My initial settings were to avoid toll roads, and HERE Maps routed me all over creation, seeing I-15 as one big toll road (it isn't - only the far left Express Lane is). Once I turned that avoidance setting off, routing is basically on-par with Google Maps. I suspect LA is similar - try that.

And 19 bucks for worldwide offline maps? Insta-buy.

rated:
Monkeybiz said:   
  in related news MetroPCS has expanded to ten new markets. 
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014/09/metropcs-adds-more-high-... 
The new MetroPCS markets are:

• Chattanooga, TN
  • Chicago, IL
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Minneapolis-St.Paul, MN
  • Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, VA
  • Richmond-Petersburg, VA
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewick, WA

Perhaps, but my SLC ZIP code came up as invalid online, and it wouldn't let me order.

rated:
I suspect a lot of you that are happy with this deal are forgetting to green the OP.

rated:
plainview said:   
serenity22 said:   
martin628 said:   
prastogi2012 said:   

No System Apps on mine.

The sequence is:

1. settings

2. phone update

3. check for updates

I guess no one notices that when you open the settings it says "system applications" at the top. And if you swipe left (or right) to read "applications" you will find there are more settings also.

rated:

rated:
You can try to price match the same phone at Best Buy. Did it before with a Samsung that was listed at $149 at BB Mobile, and got it for $30 by PM.

But, of course, YMMV.

rated:
Ordered the screen protectors from http://www.xtremeguard.com - saved 90% using coupon code SUPER90OFF2 .

rated:
Has anyone recieved a shipping email or has everyone gotten an order confirmation email....I know that some people got delayed order confirmation emails???  Any updates...?

rated:
I got my order confirmation email within about 30 mins of placing the order. But the order status still says "submitted" since Friday.

rated:
Received shipping email with tracking number

rated:
ChalPhut said:   Received shipping email with tracking number
  When did you order?

Also, did you find a mount for this phone?

rated:
stuffedwallet said:   
  When did you order?

Ordered on 09/05/2014 around 10:30 am EDT.  Haven't yet had time to look for a mount 

rated:
ChalPhut said:   
stuffedwallet said:   
  When did you order?

Ordered on 09/05/2014 around 10:30 am EDT.  Haven't yet had time to look for a mount 

I think I ordered about one hour after you did. Hopefully it ships.

rated:
Got my shipping confirmation email. The phone will be delivered tomorrow.

rated:
stuffedwallet said:   Got my shipping confirmation email. The phone will be delivered tomorrow.
Same here, never got any kind of notice until the shipping e-mail today. 

rated:
My tracking says " out for delivery " 

rated:
My two just showed up, funny thing the "Return Procedure" instruction in the package are from T-Mobile.

rated:
Does that mean that we can use a metro pcs phone with T-Mobile without unlocking?
That would be great!

rated:
Not likely - from what everyone else is saying, the phone is still locked to MetroPCS. I think T-Mobile is just using its returns process instead of having a separate one for MetroPCS.

rated:
I see....ok.
Thanks!

rated:
jaimelobo said:   My two just showed up, funny thing the "Return Procedure" instruction in the package are from T-Mobile.
  Mine is from Metro PCS, not T-Mobile.

rated:
My phone's going back. It keeps rebooting on me or just go into black screen and I can't get out of it except to restart. Doing a hard reset did not solve the problem. Maybe that's why it's only $19. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or Windows phone software issue.

rated:
shallot said:   My phone's going back. It keeps rebooting on me or just go into black screen and I can't get out of it except to restart. Doing a hard reset did not solve the problem. Maybe that's why it's only $19. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or Windows phone software issue.
Not OS, I think we would have heard by now if all the millions of WP phones constantly rebooted.   

Could just be a bad phone, but if you want to check something before sending it back. pull out the battery and check the contacts. When these (and the 520's) first came out, there was an issue where the battery would momentarily disconnect and reboot the phone. Haven't heard about that lately, I assumed Nokia had corrected the issue.

You could try bending the contacts a little to make sure you have a firm connection, that seemed to solve it for most who tried it.

rated:
jaimelobo said:   
shallot said:   My phone's going back. It keeps rebooting on me or just go into black screen and I can't get out of it except to restart. Doing a hard reset did not solve the problem. Maybe that's why it's only $19. I don't know if this is a hardware issue or Windows phone software issue.
Not OS, I think we would have heard by now if all the millions of WP phones constantly rebooted.   

Could just be a bad phone, but if you want to check something before sending it back. pull out the battery and check the contacts. When these (and the 520's) first came out, there was an issue where the battery would momentarily disconnect and reboot the phone. Haven't heard about that lately, I assumed Nokia had corrected the issue.

You could try bending the contacts a little to make sure you have a firm connection, that seemed to solve it for most who tried it.

Thx, battery contact is not the issue.  I decided to put the MPCS sim card in, but not activate it.  The phone is now suddenly very stable, no reboots and no black screen.  Prior to this I was getting reboots and lots of black screens and I can't wake up the phone.  I wonder what is going on here.  I'll monitor it for a few days and see if the hardware is now stable.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014