• 1 234531
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I think this is hot considering until last week I didn't know anyone but ADT could monitor my home alarm. I have been paying $30/month for monitoring to ADT (which has been driving me nuts, we hardly use the alarm). In the VoiceIP threads I saw mention on Nextalarm.com. Looking at it, the cost is only $8.95/month (if you pre-pay for the year) and they give you two months free when you join. Signed up on Friday, got it activated today.

Very easy, the tech walked me through the steps to change the dial-out over the phone and then tested the system for me. They say it will take an 1/2hr or maybe more for the setup. It took me only about 10mins. The Tech seemed extremely competent. All alarm info (activations, alarms, etc) are available from your web browser.

NextAlarm.com

Your yearly payment is refundable if you cancel (it is pro-rated but you can get a refund)
From NextAlarm' Website:
$14.95 per month paid monthly, or $8.95 per month paid one year in advance ($107.40)
If you prepay for one year then cancel during the year, you will receive a refund pro-rated at our $14.95 monthly rate.
Next Alarm Services Description

Note: I beleive you can only do this if you own your alarm. If you are still under your original ADT contract and got the alarm for free, you might need to do some sort of buy-out or turn your equipment back in.

FAQ from thread:

lex said: I too am looking to get my house wired with an alarm system that I can use the $8.95 monitoring with. I guess I have a few options:

1 . Anyone have any reccomendations on good systems Online order, and install myself.
It appears NextAlarm sells equipment as well. Not sure about the pricing as I already had my alarm so didn't need to buy anything. They do sell the alarm Internet adapters.
NextAlarm Equpment Store
somedaze said: Another company that sells alarm equipment + monitoring is www.alarmyourself.com, but it seems targeted towards more advanced diy'ers.

Pato said: If you own your alarm, nextalarm has manuals (both owners and installation) for many models. The install/programming manuals are hard to find w/o having to pay for them. I tried getting an install manual one from ITI and ADT awhile back and they would not do it.

NextAlarm Alarm Manuals for Download

somedaze said: Try www.panelguides.com for installation and owner's manuals.

ToHellWithUGA said: Since you saw this on VOIP thread, I assume you can use this if you have VOIP?
I think you need a special adapter but that is why it was mentioned because it support VOIP. Here is a link about on DSL Reports:
NextAlarm Reviews/VOIP Info Thread

PeakMaster said: 4. Legitimate alarm monitoring companies must be able to show that they are UL listed and approved.
This mandates certain requirements to ensure that their site is secure and "fail safe".
From NextAlarm's FAQ:
Our central stations are UL-Listed, which means they conform to the same standards as many other alarm monitoring services, including those offered by ADT and Brink's
NextAlarm FAQ

Member Summary

NextAlarm (4.01kB)
Thanks Llilith
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
They can't put a lien against your house if you didn't sign a contract with them. You can reprogram their equipment or b... (more)

russellt (Feb. 23, 2013 @ 11:03p) |

Abbra is not compatable with the Honeywell Ademco sensors, which is the industry standard. I have both. Keep the current... (more)

russellt (Feb. 23, 2013 @ 11:08p) |

Thanks for the info. I just switched to TMO - so this may be just up my alley.

The monthly looks a bit higher @ $25 for ... (more)

Username372 (Mar. 25, 2013 @ 10:54a) |

NEW THREAD ON THIS SUBJECT HERE:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1175344/

-------------

For Home Security Systems, go to this thread.

Increased price for NextAlarm, current pricing (2/2008):

- Basic Monthly - $14.95 per month
- 2 Years' Service pre-paid for $286.80 (equal to $11.95/mo), plus 1 free month
- 3 Years' Service pre-paid for $430.20 (equal to $11.95/mo), plus 2 free months
- 1 Year Service pre-paid for $143.40 (equal to $11.95/mo)

UPDATE - the price runup continues ********************************************

Billing Plans: New pricing as of May 11, 2008
[daBomb says: My pre-existing 1 Year Pre-Pay Account was still $11.95/mo as of 6/2/08.]

NextAlarm.com monitoring service is available under two low-cost billing plans.

Pay $17.95 per month, on the 3rd month anniversary of the day we started monitoring your system.
Even more economical is prepaying for one, two, or three years at $179.40 per year. This works out to just $14.95 per month.
Monitoring of a cellular backup unit such as an Uplink dialer costs an additional $7.50 per month, regardless of your billing plan. Monitoring over broadband using an ABN adapter costs an additional $5 per month, regardless of your billing plan.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I highly recommend the Visonic PowerMax Plus Home Security System Control Kit - PowerMax wireless alarm system, which can be used with an alarm service and/or private numbers. Two good places to purchase from are Smarthome and Safe-Mart. Safe-Mart has better prices on the equipment/kits, for example Visonic PowerMax® Plus Home Security System Control Kit - PowerMax®

If you have an ADT alarm and the installer code has been changed from the default, try 6321 which seems to be pretty standard. On my DSC Power632 system, you can test the install code using *8 install code, if it works you'll see "Program" in the window, otherwise, you'll hear a long beep after entering a wrong installer code.
Lots of info here: link

Okay just a note for who wants to change monitoring... I say just do it...
I used to work in ADT for years, they paid us very well. The monitoring centers are the same like many other monitoring center. The size does not matter because everything is computerized and handled with large customer service.
When I worked in ADT I found out that the cost to monitor each client's home is less than $3 so if you're paying $30/month, they are robbing you blind.
When I was still with them I only paid $7/month. After I quit ADT, I quickly changed to AA company to monitor my alarm for $12.95/month.
Don't fall for their marketing scheme, everthing is the same!
The difference is only in your system, some systems are using dial ups and some system using wireless.
Dial ups are easy to disable, cut the phone line and you left out with nothing.
ADT will often say, it's better to protect your phone box, dial ups take about 30 seconds to dial out, if the burglars manage to cut your phone line in less than 30 seconds you're out of luck.

So take care, I hope it will answer some people's question regarding the monitoring.

[daBomb says: Message previously edited by: Dealhunter101 on 2008-05-29 08:25:15 CDT]

At the bottom of the first post by jjct1 is a quote from NextAlarm saying their central monitoring stations are UL listed - that feature is important as most insurance companies want an alarm system to be UL listed. I found out (the hard way) that although that statement is true - Nextalarm did not mention that when your alarm signal is sent via their ABN adaptor through the Internet - it travels through Nextalarm computer systems that are NOT UL listed before being forwarded to the UL listed central monitoring stations. What this means is if there is a delay in signal processing in the Nextalarm computer systems then that signal will not get through to the UL listed stations 'instantly' which is what you would expect.

You can test for this delay (which has happened intermittently) by setting the Nextalarm site so it 'polls' (Ping) your ABN adaptor every 10 minutes and reports on the log if it cannot reach the ABN adaptor. This will prove that your Internet connection is working properly.

When you test your alarm system be sure to check your NextAlarm log to verify that your test appears on the log at the same time you did the test. Meaning if you test a door contact or motion sensor by tripping it at 7:30 PM then your NextAlarm log should show the event at 7:30 PM. If instead it shows up at something like 7:50 PM - then you have just experienced an ABN delay as the signal would not have been sent to the monitoring centre until 7:50 PM - not at 7:30 PM when it actually happened.

The other method to automatically look for this delay is to set your alarm panel for a 'periodic test report' to be sent once a day to NextAlarm. This is a signal sent from your alarm panel to NextAlarm each day. After setting it - watch your daily NextAlarm log - the periodic test report should be appearing on the Nextalarm log each day at the same time plus or minus 2 minutes. If it comes in much later as in 30 minutes later - then you have just experienced a significant delay in NextAlarm's processing of your signal and if there is no mention in your log that your Internet signal was down then Nextalarm cannot tell you that the reason for the delay was the Internet. At that point notify Nextalarm of the issue - in writing - and please post back here.

*** See this thread on how careh uses two wireless alarm panels for redundancy - one panel sending via ABN (or this could also be a VOIP line or a land line), the other panel sending via a cellular dialer (in this case cellular without the 'uplink/anynet' additional monthly fee).

How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

Why not buy the As on seen on TV 10$ product and hook up all over your gardens and windows.

Hot deal... thanks OP!

Since you saw this on VOIP thread, I assume you can use this if you have VOIP?

ToHellWithUGA said: Since you saw this on VOIP thread, I assume you can use this if you have VOIP?
I think you need a special adapter but that is why it was mentioned because it support VOIP. Here is a link about on DSL Reports:

Linky

Thanks OP!

Note that the $8.95 rate requires prepaying for one year.
See below why I didn't phrase it as a one year commitment:
It is fine if you don't plan to move for 8 months or more.
I mention 8 months as opposed to a year, because it is still cheaper to pay for one year if you're staying for 8 mths, since the month to month rate is $14.95 which comes out to $119.60 for 8 months whereas one year is $107.40

Does anyone know how good NextAlarm's monitoring service is, however?

If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?

Your yearly payment is refundable if you cancel (it is pro-rated but you can get a refund)
From NextAlarm' Website:

$14.95 per month paid monthly, or $8.95 per month paid one year in advance ($107.40)
If you prepay for one year then cancel during the year, you will receive a refund pro-rated at our $14.95 monthly rate.
Link

(Added this info to the top)

RBA said: If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?

It does if you have a good system, yes.
Otherwise, as you correctly point out, it isn't much good.

jjct1 said: Your yearly payment is refundable if you cancel (it is pro-rated but you can get a refund)
From NextAlarm' Website:

Link

That's great. So it appears you're better off picking the one year option no matter what then, since at worst you'll pay the same as if you had done month to month.
If you do end up staying at least 8 months you'll be better off than the month to month since you will "keep" it for the full year, even if you move after 9 or 10 mths for instance???

LighterWallet said: RBA said: If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?

So if it does?

1. Does it also know when there is a cable outage in the area? Would police respond everytime the cable went out?

2. If it uses the VOIP, what happens if the power goes out? Or if the VOIP goes down for any reason. Another false response by the police?

fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

I've heard you can save money on your homeowner's insurance by having an alarm system. I wired for a system when I remodeled, but have not bought a system. If anyone knows of any good deals on an installation with hardware, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

Why not buy the As on seen on TV 10$ product and hook up all over your gardens and windows.

LOL. What kind of question is that??

Let's see. I have about 10k worth of TV's, 8k worth of musical instruments, 2k worth of home theater gear, 4k worth of computers, probably 6-7k worth of jewelry, etc etc. I also have the smoke detectors for my $240,000 home wired in to my monitored alarm system, to hopefully get the trucks rolling a few minutes faster- I do get a decent discount on my homeowners insurance due to having all of this on a monitored system.

But, I don't think i'd trust the same results from a "as seen on TV" $10 product.

I'm also on ADT, paying $30 a month, and even at that price, it's worth it- but I'd much rather pay less. Thx OP!

QnD

RBA said: LighterWallet said: RBA said: If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?

So if it does?

1. Does it also know when there is a cable outage in the area? Would police respond everytime the cable went out?

2. If it uses the VOIP, what happens if the power goes out? Or if the VOIP goes down for any reason. Another false response by the police?

Your alarm company calls you before they call the cops. I've had them call my cell if they couldn't reach anyone at the house. No false response unless you tell them you're not home and to call the police.

QnD

I have an alarm system. She eats about 25 dollars of dog food a month and all the table scraps she can get a hold of.

She always sounds the alarm when my Fatwallet orders come via UPS/Fedex/USPS, etc. Trust me, the delivery people won't be robbing my house.

quickNdirty: Where do you live?

I live in a broken down ol mobile home. As a matter of fact, I'm using an etch-a-sketch to write this that I got from Target and made $10 cause I put two under my jacket and sold one downtown...

willgetin said: quickNdirty: Where do you live?

I live in a broken down ol mobile home. As a matter of fact, I'm using an etch-a-sketch to write this that I got from Target and made $10 cause I put two under my jacket and sold one downtown...

LMAO.

It wasn't my intention to brag. I just wanted to show that in some cases, something like this is needed. In your case, say, to protect your one remaining etch-a-sketch so you can continue to read and post hot deals on fatwallet.

QnD

quickNdirty said: fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

Let's see. I have about 10k worth of TV's, 8k worth of musical instruments, 2k worth of home theater gear, 4k worth of computers, probably 6-7k worth of jewelry, etc etc. I also have the smoke detectors for my $240,000 home wired in to my monitored alarm system, to hopefully get the trucks rolling a few minutes faster- I do get a decent discount on my homeowners insurance due to having all of this on a monitored system.

But, I don't think i'd trust the same results from a "as seen on TV" $10 product.

I'm also on ADT, paying $30 a month, and even at that price, it's worth it- but I'd much rather pay less. Thx OP!

QnD
Let's see - I pay my insurance premium. If I'm ripped off of my goods I'm covered. What I primarily look at a home alarm system for is to protect the persons in the house. I have a more restful night sleep knowing that the alarm system is protecting us from anything that goes bump in the night.

I work in the alarm industry. $9/month is hella cheap. Industry standard is $30-$45/month on a 3-year contract, plus initial equipment and installation costs. Check out adt's website and use their system configurator to price out how expensive the major alarm companies are.

Make sure that you don't attempt this unless you are for sure out of contract with your monitoring company. Most of the time your monitoring company owns your alarm equipment and if you cancel your service you are obligated to give it back or pay for it (quite expensive for even mediocre equipment).

Like quickndirty said, paying even $30/month to protect your property (electronics, jewelery, etc) is worth it considering the value you are protecting (not to mention 10-20% off your homeowners insurance). But if the same service can be had for cheaper, great. I could post a list of the discounts that different insurance companies give for having an alarm if anyone is interested. The minimum I've encountered is 10% off. If you have an expensive home, often having a monitored system will end up saving you money (10% off of $1500/year policy will more than pay for a year of monitoring at $9/month)

As for the peeps who claim that they will buy an "as seen on TV" product for $10 or feed a dog $25 of food a month to be their security system: quit being such a bloody cheapskate. Of course protecting your posessions is important, but a good security system is also used for fire, carbon monoxide, and intruder protection. If the safety of your wife and kids is something you value, fork out a few dollars. Even if it is just to make your wife "feel" safer. At $9/month you will kick your own crotch if something were to ever happen to your family because you decided it was too expensive. I did a system about 2 years ago for a guy who came home to his wife tied to a chair about to be raped and he was stabbed in the neck by the intruder and nearly died. Doesn't happen to everyone, but make sure it doesn't happen to you.

willgetin said: quickNdirty: Where do you live?

i think he wants to know where you live...

TheDude said: quickNdirty said: fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

QnD
Let's see - I pay my insurance premium. If I'm ripped off of my goods I'm covered. What I primarily look at a home alarm system for is to protect the persons in the house. I have a more restful night sleep knowing that the alarm system is protecting us from anything that goes bump in the night.

You're covered 100% for loss of personal property? Do you have photographs and serial numbers of everything you own locked away somewhere (if you're hoping to get reimbursed you'd better) Even so, if you do have 100% coverage, you're getting shafted on your ins. premiums I'd bet.

As far as protection, I don't need a "monitored" alarm system for that. Just one to make noise. The 9mm and police issue 12ga mossburg under the bed have me covered once I'm awake

Just like some people a couple months back wanted to be cheap on buying store night guards instead of custom fitted ones. I don't think you want to go cheap on an alarm system here.

castcore said: Just like some people a couple months back wanted to be cheap on buying store night guards instead of custom fitted ones. I don't think you want to go cheap on an alarm system here.

From what I read, you get the same monitoring service from AlarmNext or other of these national monitoring services or ADT. It is all the same, the alarm is triggered, they get notified, they call you, they call the police, they call your contact list. So quality of monitoring is not the issue.

The downside of using a 3rd party monitoring company is servicing of the alarm. If the battery dies and the alarm needs to be re-programmed, they can't send out a technition like your local ADT dealer can. So if you can live with self service of the alarm or paying someone for maintenance (which you have to do anyway if your alarm is out of warranty) than 3rd party monitoring should be fine.

My system was originally bought and monitored by a local alarm company and is now monitored by ADT. My system has a backup cell line. If the phone cable to my house is cut:

1. The alarm goes off (Sounds outside and inside the house)
2. The cell line calls ADT, ADT calls me, I tell them to either send or not send police, ambulance or fire.

This has only happened once....a fluke lightning strike took out the phone lines into my house (along with my cable and power) which are all on the same bundle coming from the main lines, middle of the nite...scared the hell out of the whole family. ADT was very quick to respond, they called me with 3 minutes.

I think I will stick with ADT, saving money on home and family protection doesn't really seem very thoughtful......kinda careless unless you know and trust the company.

Still....nice find OP!

If you're so worried about what happens if the power goes out or a cable is cut you can bury the cable TV feed if you're using a cable modem and for that matter the telephone as well if you're using DSL and it won't be easily cut without doing some climbing up a pole or getting into the basement or under house area.

I buried my electricity and TV and phone cables 25 years or more ago when I had an above ground pool that had my electric drop going over it. Never been sorry for doing so.

For that matter, how many people have securely locked their electric panel if you're in an area of relatively mild climate and have outside electric panels and meters?

I was in charge of on campus computing for several years at a community college and I refused to assume any responsibility for theft unless the school paid for alarm systems for all the computer rooms...more than a dozen rooms at that time and quite a bit more now, 10 years later. I had a backup system installed as part of that which was battery operated and used a radiio link to the alarm company if the phone link didn't test OK.

Before I did that we had some computer thefts when PC systems were $2K+ and Macs that we had were $3K+. It didn't take many thefts to more than pay for the monitoring fees since we were self-insured up to something like $10K. I must admit though I didn't enjoy being called at home at 1 AM when the monitoring company did a scan and found a room with the alarm not activated because a part time teacher or custodian didn't properly arm the system when they left sometime after 10 PM.

You can only do so much and your pocket book and cost of what you're protecting is the limiting factor.

because after the burglar opens ur window, ignores the sound or destroys it, whose going to come to your house and investigate? the policy? do you think they can hear that little stupid noise that far away? your neighbors, not for 2 hours after they get annoyed

RBA said:If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?

If your system is installed properly, the subject should not be able to locate your real cable. If it's not properly installed or the subject is lucky enough to find it, cutting the wire should trigger a trouble alarm rather than an entry alarm.

I will put in my pitch for NextAlarm.com ... have used them for about 3 years now... started off month to month and now am doing the yearly thing... If you own the alarm system in your home, then they are a good option... they call back fast and have the cops over at your house pretty fast as well if no one answers... i have had 1 false alarm ( and a few times i have triggered the alarm myself to see how fast the response is and to test my system )... they have been reliable so far...

I am in the market for an alarm system. However, my wife and I disagree on the level of security needed. I think that a monitored system is probably overkill and that installing a security system with a very loud "indoor" alarm would probably scare most if not all would be burglars. My wife thinks the monitored system is the way to go. Of course, she will get her way, as she generally does. But do you all think that a monitored system is really worth it?

I wish someone could get me out of my dang ADT contract.. I have another 1.5 years (3 yr contract) and I can't switch to VOIP because of it.. Alarm monitoring is alarm monitoring, if it goes off someone calls the police. I don't trust ADT because everything is independent contractors. Anyone been able to drop their ADT contract successfully without paying a ton?

RBA said: If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?

Most systems have a local alarm siren. This works even if the phone line is cut.

Some mid-range alarm systems have dead-phone-line detectors that trigger the local alarm siren if the phone wires are cut.

High end alarm systems, as you might find in rich folks houses and upscale businesses, have a cell phone backup. A dedicated cell phone gadget is attached to the alarm panel and duplicates the alarm call on the cellular unit. This is an example of this equipment:

Info link for cellular alarm backup

I used to be with ADT and still have their equipment after the contract.

I own it per the contract terms.

My question - Does it need to be unlocked in some way by ADT before i can use it with
another alarm company ? The alarm panel is made by ADEMCO & installed in 1998.

Any others places to compare besides nextalarm and SmartHome?

nextalarm doesn't list by alarm brand even though it is a major brand

SmartHome is just a front for Alarm Relay
"By teaming with Alarm Relay, a nationwide provider of professional alarm monitoring services"

and charges $35 setup, $8.95 but pay year in advance (no refunds)

rpalicherla said: I will put in my pitch for NextAlarm.com ... have used them for about 3 years now... started off month to month and now am doing the yearly thing... If you own the alarm system in your home, then they are a good option... they call back fast and have the cops over at your house pretty fast as well if no one answers... i have had 1 false alarm ( and a few times i have triggered the alarm myself to see how fast the response is and to test my system )... they have been reliable so far...

Thanks for the review!

Thanks OP for starting the thread and others for the feedback. Very informative. I had a local company called digital interiors setup my alarm system and after a year of monitoring they transferred me to SMS. I pay about $26 a month. While I do I like the service I don't mind saving few bucks provided I don't compromise on service. I guess, I will call the guys OP mentioned and get more info. Lets hope we get more feedback from other users.

Anyone know where one can buy an inexpensive alarm kit/set that would be compatable with Nextalarm.com?

Little off topic and probably a stupid question...but if for some reason your alarm goes off and they can't get a hold of me (say I'm in a meeting), and they do call the police, do I get charged for a false alarm? I would think so...that is why we pay taxes, but just wondering.

lanb said: I used to be with ADT and still have their equipment after the contract.

I own it per the contract terms.

My question - Does it need to be unlocked in some way by ADT before i can use it with
another alarm company ? The alarm panel is made by ADEMCO & installed in 1998.

Most likely it is locked to ADT similar to the way that a mobile phone is locked to its provider in the USA. Who was your original provider? I'm guessing it was an ADT dealer, not ADT corporate. Most ADT accounts are dealer generated.

Skipping 1199 Messages...
russellt said:   VicVinegar said:   Username372 said:   Moving to an newly built house.
Wiring contractor wants $1800 for security system.

Can you all recommend a good forum or system that allows me coverage of 4 doors & a couple of infrared motion detectors AND NOT for $1800?

Thanks.

Simplisafe should be quite a bit less than that. I haven't used it though. Just researching as well.

Simplisafe runs about $200 to $300 for their basic system. The $300 is for one that is more interactive over the internet with monthly fees of $25. The $200 setups are not remotely controlled and have monthly fees of $15 or $20 with text notifications.

These prices include 2 doors and one motion, kepad base, and keychain.

These prices include monitoring and cellular.

Additional items cost:
Doors & windows $15
Motion $30
key fobs $25

So your system will cost $260-360 plus $15-$25 depending onif you want remote control.

Simplisafe is a no brainer if you have good tmobile coverage. If you don't it wont work.

Thanks for the info. I just switched to TMO - so this may be just up my alley.

The monthly looks a bit higher @ $25 for the remote control - but that's something that should be di-rigueur going forward in the industry.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014