• 1 2 34531
  • Page
  • Text Only
Keep in mind that ADT also saves you money on false alarms(if you are going the monitored route). ADT has the fade system which is why they try to call you every time the alarm is set off. They try to contact you to determine if it is a false alarm. If they can't contact you they will send the police armed and guns drawn. This helps you cut cost because the local police will charge you X amount of dollars after you go over a certain amount of false alarms. They may even come slower next time, if anyone recalls the story 'boy yells wolf'. ADT monitors you with more than one monitoring station with live people as oppose to other alarm systems which may or may not have people but I would be wary of someone monitoring my house with just a modem....

Just some more reasons to consider...

summary***

1-false alarms (check your local police department for cost etc)
2-quality of monitoring (find answers to how you are being monitored)

Final note....

I know for certain alarm companies overcharge us on many things [I been inside ADT] but sometimes for the safety of our family and love ones some things we shouldn't cut cost on. It all depends on your level of tolerance. I want cheap but I also want quality.

RBA said: If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?

yeah, except most thieves aren't that smart and the ones that are probably wouldn't bother robbing any of our houses

They would go for the bigger fish who have more sophisticated alarms I am sure. And if it is a good system, yeah it will go off if the cable is cut.

Jackboot said: lanb said: I used to be with ADT and still have their equipment after the contract.

I own it per the contract terms.

My question - Does it need to be unlocked in some way by ADT before i can use it with
another alarm company ? The alarm panel is made by ADEMCO & installed in 1998.

Most likely it is locked to ADT similar to the way that a mobile phone is locked to its provider in the USA. Who was your original provider? I'm guessing it was an ADT dealer, not ADT corporate. Most ADT accounts are dealer generated.

Yes, it was installed by a local dealer. Does it make a difference for the "lock"
and will ADT remove the lock ? What should i ask for if i call ADT ?

BTW, I no longer have the monitoring service just the equipment and the
all important signs .

Conventional wisdom is that the signs from the alarm company deter the
most since the robbers will likely pick a house that looks/is unmonitored.

thnx op!

Anyone know if there's any place that sells the ADT signs? I just feel a little bit safer with them on the front yard even if I choose to go the nextalarm route. tia.

I haven't tried it myself, but this affiliate link seems to give you the same prices with 3 months free:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/nextalarm.aspx

MountainDewRules said: Little off topic and probably a stupid question...but if for some reason your alarm goes off and they can't get a hold of me (say I'm in a meeting), and they do call the police, do I get charged for a false alarm? I would think so...that is why we pay taxes, but just wondering.

Depends on your codes for the responding agencys. Some areas have 1 free false alarm and then either a fixed or sliding scale based on the number of false alarms you have per year.

NoDiscount said: Anyone know if there's any place that sells the ADT signs? I just feel a little bit safer with them on the front yard even if I choose to go the nextalarm route. tia.

I have seen generic signs at menards, radio shack, and Home Depot.

lanb said: Jackboot said: lanb said: I used to be with ADT and still have their equipment after the contract.

I own it per the contract terms.

My question - Does it need to be unlocked in some way by ADT before i can use it with

Most likely it is locked to ADT similar to the way that a mobile phone is locked to its provider in the USA. Who was your original provider? I'm guessing it was an ADT dealer, not ADT corporate. Most ADT accounts are dealer generated.

Yes, it was installed by a local dealer. Does it make a difference for the "lock"
and will ADT remove the lock ? What should i ask for if i call ADT ?

BTW, I no longer have the monitoring service just the equipment and the
all important signs .

Conventional wisdom is that the signs from the alarm company deter the
most since the robbers will likely pick a house that looks/is unmonitored.

It depends, if you ended your contract in good terms they should unlock the panel. Ademco panels can be locked by a company in a way where you can not unlock them. (They can disable the ability to enter local programming from the keypad). I am not sure what ADT's policies are on this and from what I have seen from them they probably change from time to time.

I would probably try to reprogram the system before contacting ADT see what your new monitoring company has to say about the re-program first.

I use ADT signs and stickers all over my windows and yard but no alarm system. This is the least expensive way to go. I mean what thief wants to break into a house that has what appears to be an alarm system when most other houses on the street do not have alarms or any signs or stickers? You'd have to be really dumb or blind to break into my house.

I've read all of the justifications and complaints about monitored alarm systems in this thread and, for the most part, I think they're all correct. When we moved into our new house, it came pre-wired for an alarm system, so we called a local independant supplier who installed sirens, smoke detector alarms, a motion detector, and tied in to all of the window contacts for $400 with no monitoring contract. This is the way to go, rather than the $30/month ADT route. When we went to VOIP, we dropped the monitoring, but it sounds like we may be able to go back to that.

As far as the reasons go, the primary one for me is that when either my wife or I are alone in the house, it is an added measure of security that there is a "perimiter" - if we are on one end of the house and there's an intruder, we get advance notice... and so do the police. We've only had a couple of false alarms, mainly due to my stupidity, and we cleared it with the alarm company before they sent the police.

Whether or not it makes a big difference to me, $107.40 is a very cheap price to pay for 12 months of secure feelings for my wife. We men tend to underestimate the value of security, be it emotional, physical, financial or spiritual for our mates.

Am I being too philsophical for FW?

I too am looking to get my house wired with an alarm system that I can use the $8.95 monitoring with. I guess I have a few options:

1 . Anyone have any reccomendations on good systems Online order, and install myself.
2. call a professional, and purchase the system and the install from them.
3. have ADT or another company install the system and be in contract until I own the system afterward?

NoDiscount said: Anyone know if there's any place that sells the ADT signs? I just feel a little bit safer with them on the front yard even if I choose to go the nextalarm route. tia.

You can find the ADT signs on fleabay, of course. They fetch a hefty profit. It's funny to think of some nefarious fleabayer "gathering inventory" by stealing the signs from the yards of homeowners. Hmm?? I might need an alarm to protect my ADT "eBay acquired" sign from fleabayers.

(Naturally, the authenticity of the signs on eBay is to be questioned).

Link

If you own your alarm, nextalarm has manuals (both owners and installation) for many models. The install/programming manuals are hard to find w/o having to pay for them. I tried getting an install manual one from ITI and ADT awhile back and they would not do it.

Text

mindful said: Keep in mind that ADT also saves you money on false alarms(if you are going the monitored route). ADT has the fade system which is why they try to call you every time the alarm is set off. They try to contact you to determine if it is a false alarm.
NextAlarm does the same thing, they ask who to call to verify the alarm and a passphrase, just like ADT.

lanb said: My question - Does it need to be unlocked in some way by ADT before i can use it with

You need an unlock code. Mine was in the documentation I got with the alarm from ADT (I inherited the alarm when we bought the house, so we didn't buy the original alarm system). Yours might be the system default. ADT has them custom program a new code but they might be aware of it. Submit your application and they will tell you if your alarm will work with their monitoring.

lex said: I too am looking to get my house wired with an alarm system that I can use the $8.95 monitoring with. I guess I have a few options:

1 . Anyone have any reccomendations on good systems Online order, and install myself.
2. call a professional, and purchase the system and the install from them.
3. have ADT or another company install the system and be in contract until I own the system afterward?

It appears NextAlarm sells equipment as well. Not sure about the pricing as I already had my alarm so didn't need to buy anything. They do sell the alarm Internet adapters.
NextAlarm Equpment Store

If anyone has any other suggestions for places to buy alarm equipment please post and I will update the original message. Maybe X10?

(I will add this to the top of the thread)

quickNdirty said: fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

Why not buy the As on seen on TV 10$ product and hook up all over your gardens and windows.

LOL. What kind of question is that??

Let's see. I have about 10k worth of TV's, 8k worth of musical instruments, 2k worth of home theater gear, 4k worth of computers, probably 6-7k worth of jewelry, etc etc. I also have the smoke detectors for my $240,000 home wired in to my monitored alarm system, to hopefully get the trucks rolling a few minutes faster- I do get a decent discount on my homeowners insurance due to having all of this on a monitored system.

umm are you my gardener?

Great thread. NextAlarm has this offer for a wireless alarm system for $249 with 1-yr free monitoring. Do you think this would be an adequate system for a townhouse? I'd maybe put the sensors on front and rear doors, the motion sensor in the basement, and look into buying another motion sensor for ground level windows.

X-10 isn't worth the time, as far as I'm concerned. Constantly changing batteries (system stopped telling me when new ones were needed) and lots of false alarms. Don't bother. If you're going to set up your own system, go hard wired, but then you probably can't get it monitored.
Hey, my city sends me a bill for $25 just for having a monitored system. Plus a charge if too many false alarms. Whats up with that? The police won't come if I don't pay the fee?

fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

Why not buy the As on seen on TV 10$ product and hook up all over your gardens and windows.

really its not like the police will come running when the alarm goes off, least not here in Wisconsin! To me this is as cold as the 8" of snow along with the 20 degree temps outside!

Okay, my house is already prewired for an alarm system. I'm still looking for someone to post a link to a good affordable alarm system that is compatible with this. I don't think I want to go wireless route.

If your house is worth robbing, wouldn't the theif be smart enough to cut the cable going into your house/cable modem? Or does that trigger an alarm too?
You might want to look at Alarm.com. They use wireless to send the alarm signals so there aren't any cables to be cut. We have it and I really like the way I can know what's happening in the house. It lets you define how to react to different situations.

For example, you can have it send you email, a page or call your cell phone when a sensor is triggered, so you can know when the maid comes in , or if your neighbor is feeding the cat while you're on vacation, etc. Basically it gives you access to what's happening and you can control the responses.

Its not a whole lot cheaper than ADT but it gives you options that ADT & other companies can't. Something to think about if you're in the market for a system or upgrade....

Dabadu said: X-10 isn't worth the time, as far as I'm concerned. Constantly changing batteries (system stopped telling me when new ones were needed) and lots of false alarms. Don't bother. If you're going to set up your own system, go hard wired, but then you probably can't get it monitored.
Hey, my city sends me a bill for $25 just for having a monitored system. Plus a charge if too many false alarms. Whats up with that? The police won't come if I don't pay the fee?

I assume you got an X-10 system like this? If the wireless systems are junk, does anybody know of hard-wired system deals (with install) that can be used with the cheap monitoring?

quickNdirty said: TheDude said: quickNdirty said: fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

Let's see. I have about 10k worth of TV's, 8k worth of musical instruments, 2k worth of home theater gear, 4k worth of computers, probably 6-7k worth of jewelry, etc etc. I also have the smoke detectors for my $240,000 home wired in to my monitored alarm system, to hopefully get the trucks rolling a few minutes faster- I do get a decent discount on my homeowners insurance due to having all of this on a monitored system.

But, I don't think i'd trust the same results from a "as seen on TV" $10 product.

I'm also on ADT, paying $30 a month, and even at that price, it's worth it- but I'd much rather pay less. Thx OP!

QnD
Let's see - I pay my insurance premium. If I'm ripped off of my goods I'm covered. What I primarily look at a home alarm system for is to protect the persons in the house. I have a more restful night sleep knowing that the alarm system is protecting us from anything that goes bump in the night.

You're covered 100% for loss of personal property? Do you have photographs and serial numbers of everything you own locked away somewhere (if you're hoping to get reimbursed you'd better) Even so, if you do have 100% coverage, you're getting shafted on your ins. premiums I'd bet.

As far as protection, I don't need a "monitored" alarm system for that. Just one to make noise. The 9mm and police issue 12ga mossburg under the bed have me covered once I'm awake

Well I know more about this then I care to. Here's the facts:
1. You get approx. 10% premium reduction on your homeowners policy BUT you have to provide a certifcate from the alarm monitoring company showing that your system is monitored...not just a noise maker.
2. Having a security alarm vs not having one can be debated as to the probability of being robbed.
What cannot be debated is that anyone who has a monitored system and does not have a smoke detector wired in is in idiot. Getting your goods stolen and your underwear draw rifled through is a far cry from your house burning to the ground while you were out at Blockbuster figuring out what DVD to watch that night. Point being....it's not all about the security protection it's fire protection too.
3. Alarm monitoring companies are a dime a dozen but the pricing is stable from $20-$35/month for most residential systems assuming you own the equipment. The lease deals seem good on the outside but usually suck when you read the fine print. You need to consider all the variables such as length of stay in residence etc...
3.If the cable or phone line gets cut, the central station should get a "trouble" alarm and go down the appropriate call list or call the local PD...whatever instructions they are prompted that are arranged with the homeowner.
4. Legitimate alarm monitoring companies must be able to show that they are UL listed and approved.
This mandates certain requirements to ensure that their site is secure and "fail safe".

PeakMaster said: 4. Legitimate alarm monitoring companies must be able to show that they are UL listed and approved.
This mandates certain requirements to ensure that their site is secure and "fail safe".
From NextAlarm's FAQ:
Our central stations are UL-Listed, which means they conform to the same standards as many other alarm monitoring services, including those offered by ADT and Brink's
NextAlarm FAQ

Ahh, my area is not supported.

If you get the alarm to work with VOIP, alarm signals won't make it to the central station if there is a network outage or even a power outage (unless you have some type of radio / cellular backup).

Pato said: If you own your alarm, nextalarm has manuals (both owners and installation) for many models. The install/programming manuals are hard to find w/o having to pay for them. I tried getting an install manual one from ITI and ADT awhile back and they would not do it.

Text

Try www.panelguides.com for installation and owner's manuals.

ITI manuals here.

Another company that sells alarm equipment + monitoring is www.alarmyourself.com, but it seems targeted towards more advanced diy'ers.

Great find, OP. I'm going to buy a house to make use of this service.

quickNdirty said: I also have the smoke detectors for my $240,000 home wired in to my monitored alarm system, to hopefully get the trucks rolling a few minutes faster

It works. Ours went off due to cooking bacon (one set was *really* smoky and we didn't do a good enough job clearing the smoke out of the kitchen) and the trucks were there inside of five minutes.

--
Daniel

What about saveonmyalarm.com. Do you think it is better?
LINKText

snarler said: quickNdirty said: I also have the smoke detectors for my $240,000 home wired in to my monitored alarm system, to hopefully get the trucks rolling a few minutes faster

It works. Ours went off due to cooking bacon (one set was *really* smoky and we didn't do a good enough job clearing the smoke out of the kitchen) and the trucks were there inside of five minutes.

--
Daniel

I'd also check with your local laws regarding alarm monitoring. Here in NYC, burglar alarms are ok, but for residential (and of course, commercial) fire alarms, you have to submit plans drawn up & then approved by FDNY to have a monitored fire alarm. The FDNY does not like false, "unapproved" fire alarms, and in turn, you won't like it when they "check" your walls to see if there's an actual fire w/their equipment, or, god forbid, you aren't home when they get there...

wow...that was foolish...now u just advertised your house as a prime target for theft.

quickNdirty said: fatcool said: How much your net worth has to be to consider for paying that much for an Alarm system.

But, I don't think i'd trust the same results from a "as seen on TV" $10 product.

I'm also on ADT, paying $30 a month, and even at that price, it's worth it- but I'd much rather pay less. Thx OP!

QnD

How is anyone going to know where he lives? And why bother with an alarmed house when 90% of the homes have no alarms?

cheapbrass said: wow...that was foolish...now u just advertised your house as a prime target for theft.

QnD

DerProfi said: I haven't tried it myself, but this affiliate link seems to give you the same prices with 3 months free:

http://www.home-technology-store.com/nextalarm.aspx

I asked NextAlarm about this sie, and this is what they said:
"Home Technology Store is the only site which offers a three-month free trial for our services. If you see any others advertising this, they are incorrect. The Home Technology Store offer is intended for HTS customers who purchase a new system from them. However, if you sign up from that site, you will receive a three-month free trial."t

I bought a house with an alarm. We never got the code from the previous owners. (Why they wouldn't tell us I don't know.) Anyhow my 6-yr old daughter pushed some buttons one day and accidentally set the alarm which went off the next time we opened a door. So it was blaring and I called the company on the security monitoring sign still stuck in our front bushes. We had not subscribed to their service but they told me the code! How secure is that?!?

I'm especially glad to see a nextalarm thread here as I ordered an alarm and service from them last week. They haven't shipped the system yet but said they would ship this week, so with any luck it will go out tomorrow.

Their customer service has been polite every time I have contacted them and they seem to know what they're doing judging by their responses to me. I'll post a follow-up in the other nextalarm thread here at FW once I have tested their response time a few times.

unleded said: Great thread. NextAlarm has this offer for a wireless alarm system for $249 with 1-yr free monitoring.
Where exactly does it say 1-yr free monitoring ?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014